Strange Speech Problem

Started by Samwise, Fri 30/03/2007 08:58:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Samwise

Hello,

I've got a strange problem occuring with all the speaking characters in the game.  Whenever the player is speaking with a character, both of them voices are either cut before the end of the voiced sentence, or reach to the voice's end and then an unnecessary speech animation continues for several seconds without voice.

This happens in about 50% of the speech sentences, and in other cases it works fine.  I've checked it out: the "problematic scripts" and the "proper scripts" are just the same.  I've checked the original speech files as well - they all end exactly when they should have.

Any ideas?

Samwise

Here is an example to a script that causes the problem (OSER, the player character, talks to character GATE):

character[OSER].Walk(160, 210, eBlock);
character[OSER].FaceLocation(character[OSER].x - 50, character[OSER].y , eBlock);
character[OSER].Say("&5301");
character[GATE].Say("&5301");
character[OSER].FaceLocation(character[OSER].x - 50, character[OSER].y , eBlock);
character[OSER].Say("&5302");
character[GATE].Say("&5302");
Wait(18);
character[OSER].FaceLocation(character[OSER].x, character[OSER].y + 50 , eBlock);

OSER lines, which are quite short, are cut a little before their end.  GATE lines, which are longer (4-5 seconds), are being heard until their end, but then an unnecessary talking animation proceeds with no sound for several seconds.

Two more things that maybe should be mentioned:
1. I'm not using texts in the game - only voiced speech.
2. The speech files are in MP3 format.

Could someone please help me with this one?  This is a really annoying bug, and I won't be able to release the game this way.

Samwise

I've converted all the speech files to OGG, and now everything seems to work.

Does the program has a known problem of MP3 support?  I'd rather work with MP3.

Pumaman

Were you using variable bitrate MP3 files? If so, AGS doesn't work with them very well in terms of detecting the length of the file.

Samwise

I was working with different MP3 codecs.

Maybe it should be mentioned in the manual or something to keep people from mistakes (sorry if it's there and I missed it).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk