Tune contest - Scenery (31.march - 15. april) - Winner announced

Started by bartillier, Sat 31/03/2007 15:03:47

Previous topic - Next topic

He-Man

I vote [lgm]
I love the mute of the song and the guitar/bass or whatever scratchings are very cool.

bartillier

sorry guys, I just couldn't find the time to do it :'( i can do it now though, I have two days off :)

EDIT: I have everything written, i can just paste it here if you want :) (took me an hour and a half sheesh)

Haddas

Quote from: bartillier on Sun 22/04/2007 22:40:15
sorry guys, I just couldn't find the time to do it :'( i can do it now though, I have two days off :)

EDIT: I have everything written, i can just paste it here if you want :) (took me an hour and a half sheesh)

Yes. Please do.

Nikolas

Quote from: bartillier on Sun 22/04/2007 22:40:15
Yes, we would appreciate it, indeed! :)

bartillier

Okay so here's a "review" (personal opinion) of each song and at the bottom are the winners :)

I was grading:

Most important: Song and Picture corelation;
Little less attention: Song composition;
Still kinda important: Song instrument sound and overall sound;

nihilyst - forest

Nice piece! Like the guitar line, very diablo like! The salt shaker adds some atmosphere but its mainly really distracting becose it's mainly out of sync (no rythm) with the guitars. Overall the song could have been recorded a little better, add some sints maybe an effect or two, and it could easily have been in a diablo styled game... nice. Adding some synt strings, and some wind perhaps, and a bit reverb, you would get great atmosphere. The style of the song goes well with the pic, Maybe you should have made it a little bit more MYSTerious. You get a great foresty feeling but not a very misty one. Great piece again!

Oz - bynight

GREAT! This really knocked me of my chair (metaphoracly speaking). The city feeling is amazing. It really reminds me of a Sim City song or something, I can just see in my head the birds eye view and traffic and everything. The way you put the bass line out front at the begining is really nice, the snare is also very apropriate, natural yet still  very electro like. Nice piece. The only thing wrong in my opinion is that it's not a very dynamic piece. But hey - It's not like Much happens when you're looking at a city at night birdseye, just time passing by. Very nice busy city feeling! grats

deFineLicht - Sail On The Big Blue

Now this song I didn't like at first. AT FIRST... I was expecting kind of a piraty song with skippy ryhthm and a cheery melody. But after listening a few times I realised it's not supposed to be piratey, it has a very nice sort of dutch victorian trade ship feeling. I like the way you used the cymbals to emulate the smashing of waves. And the begining of the song really coinsides with the blue-orangy sky on the picture. Very nice. Only thing is; I'm a sucker for realistic sound. You could have made it a little bit more orchestra-realistic whatever sounding. I don't like the plasticnes. A little reverb on the accordion maybe would have cured that. Alltogether VERY nice song! Goes with the picture great.

Hammerite - It's Sunday and I'm Tired

After listening to this a few times i really get the sunrise theme (although the picture is supposed to be a sunset i guess:) I like the way you put the birds in it, but it gets rather annoying after the first few times. Maybe if you would have used it less it would have been smashing! Overall its a great piece, and i can really hear it in a game as an even piece. You know when there's a piece of music for a specific event such as a sunrise... Anyway really like the "delay" effect on the main melody. Very nice! I like it alot. And the fact that it's short does it a favor as sunsets and sunrises last for not a very long time it really captures that moment when the view is absolutely stunning. Great job

InCreator - Abandoned

Really nice piece. I like the high hat drum line. It really paints an urban feeling in to your mind. And a shroud of stillnes yet motion. Also I like the bass line. I don't know why the song ends some time after the drums go out and never come back :( It would have been really nice to continue the song, as it sounds like a really great intro to a  great piece. I liked the song, It's one of those that make your head sway a little... I don't get the pic though. Despite the utter coolness of the song I don't think the pic goes well with the song which is really edgy and urban-like, with a very synthetic feel. I know the dog is supposed to be abandoned but i don't quite get the corelation with the abandoned dog on a highway and your urban shadowy night-life song. Every song composer has a clear picture in his mind but I really dont get it, maybe I'm just dumb, and maybe it's even more important, to make the finished product clear to the audience... Really great song by itself though!

Meat - foolish

WOW, really great mellody at the begining, Really gets my sad glands going. I can just feel when something shitty happens and your walking home and it's raining and stuff. Then comes the pizzicato sort of cheery part! Really nice turnaround. As if the guy that's sad came to a realisation in his life that it's perhaps not so bad as it seems AND then falls to sadness again. Anyway i like the way you used the pizzicato to make it a bit more happy song. The overall sound reminds me of something you would hear in a Sims game or something.  Midi overall dosen't have a great sound, but hey; The time is limited and why not make a midi - it's faster. Overall I would have to say that the feeling of the song and picture go really well together and the accordion solo at the end is kinda goofy.
Your English is better than mine i would say;)

kaputtnik - mokkaido

Great, just great idea. Funny pic too, remindes me of the beastie boys - intergalactic video. Funny shit. The percussion of the song could have been better placed. I don't like the fact that it's arythmic. A nice 3/4 beat would have been nicer for a full on boogie robot battle. The moog is great, robotic. And it goes great with the picture. I am a rocket man.

zeblin - paradise

Listening to this a couple of times I have found out that: This piece would have been a lot better if you would have used just a little bit more time and not made this a midi thing. You could have used soundfonts or something perhaps. On the other hand It really fits the old styled video game adventure scene such as made by you guys on the AGS. The pic is too serene and soft for your song which is hard and almost 8bit-ish. Great idea anyway!

[Igm]

wow, kinda freaky, Something is in the pipes and its OUT TO GET YOU! Anyway, nice thing with the banging and the scratching. The cellfone and the gramophone skid - really dont fit in. Reverb can be good sometimes. Anyway nice piece as far as the corelation between the pic and the song!

Akatosh - Tune

LOL

Vel - phrygian

Nice intro. Makes me think of an electronic meka. You've also done it cool with the drums and the pice is not to long. The main melody instrument is kinda annoying i think. The phrygian scale rocks and you've managed to make a strangely cool piece, i can't stop listening to it... grats

radiowaves

I'm digging the driving scene. And it fits nice. What's the laughter for? I think it would have been better without the high note piano. Anyway quite nice stuff. I really like the end though, it sounds as like: Here - You've reached the city! I like the way you've scaled the thing very subtly. In a way you don't even notice. Nice stuff!

BOYD1981 - fishes

wooooooow *saliva* Nice feeling. It makes me wanna be a cyber micro-organism. Everything is really nicely proportioned, Synth string background is very subtle yet strong, and the wave-watter motion thingy, the bass drumm has a very nice thump to it too, the snare is perfectly plastic. And the main wasp/moog (don't know what it is) makes for a nice atmosphere. The right amount of reverb and a really nice corelation between the pic and the music, I can just see them wrigglin about! coooooool!

Haddas - Plain weird

Nice computer/space tunnel vortex feeling. I like the beeps and the bloops. Makes you think you're spinning into another dimention. The spungy percussion thingy in the background is genius haha. The "chorus" sounds so distant and the ending is nice - really cool stuff. Goes great with the pic!

Azash - the current cityspace

It's a nice piece, i like the techno feel of it, and the way you programmed the riffs. The drumms have a nice sound although they could be a little more diverse or maybe have some greater meaning in the song. What's with the car horns, is it ment to be annoying? I can't see any cars on the picture. If you would have removed the car horns and made the drummline a little more dynamic it would have made a great song. That way it's only a good song. (not ranting, I'm just giving my opinion).

Nikolas - Inferno

You're my idol. Really nice feeling. I just expect zombies to start tearing at everything and milla jovovich to come and start shooting and jumping around. I like this piece very very very very very much. The begining couldn't be more perfect with the reverse percussion. The guitar up and down melody isn't as cool but the song really picks up when the main moog gets more intensive. The thrashing at the end is also really descriptive. Goes nice with the picture. If i would be redoing the song, i would get rid of the guitar up and down melody. The orchestra hits before the main event make really nice atmosphere. I can't
think of anything else. This is really good.  GREAT job!

He-Man

I'm not even gonna get started. You seem to nail it each and every time:) The song is tha bomb. I chose the other pic with the giant blunt for the song. I can't really write anything about it, becose there is nothing i don't like on it. It's just an excelent piece. It's dynamic, it has it's verse, chorus, begining, end and meaning. I give you the cyber hand shake for this one *hand-shake*

----------

Ok so that was that, time to announce the winner

4. BOYD1981

3. Nikolas

2. He-Man

1. Oz

Oz and He-Man have really great songs and it was really hard to decide. After listening to the songs quite a few times i think that as a whole Oz' song goes best with his pic alltogether. Both the song and the pic go so well together you think the cars are moving and the lights are flashing. He-man had a really great song really professional and has the best structure imo, it also goes really well with the 2nd picture which is supposed to be offencive. Nikolas' Inferno is just the shit, i can't get enough of it, it's drawback are some "annoying parts" and unconsistency, but overall a great piece. So that's that and, sorry for the delay. No hard feelings eigh? *pat on the back*

Bartillier

Pling!

Ah, finally! Congrats to the winners, great stuff!

And I think the detailed review makes up for the delay. Overall a great contest, hope to see you again at the next one.

BOYD1981

nothing makes up for the delay, Batillier has been active on the forums and the last thing he said before when somebody pointed out he was late judging was that he was going to work on reviewing the entries and if it was the detailed review that caused it i would rather of not had it. a new tune contest should have been started and ended by now.

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

bartillier

Nikolas

Thank you for going through what is the most entries in the recent history of AGS tune contests!  :o

Your idea of a theme was great and the entries proved it. Also thanks for the review, it took a while, but after seeing your review it was worth it adn difficult to write... ;)

He-Man

Yeah, thanks for the review. It must have taken forever to listen to and review all those songs. I think it was worth the wait!
Too bad I didn't win. I was so close to being a Grand Slam Champ...
Btw it was very nice to see/hear so many entries this time. Great contest.

Vel

Congratulations Oz, your tune rocked on a higher level!

deFineLicht

This was great :D

I really hope that the tune contests will countinue in this way...

Hammerite

i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Oz

Thanks all! :)

And yes, this has to be (by far) the most successful tune contest ever (or at least in a very long time), and it made me think... Is this type of contest better than the ones we usually have with fairly strict rules? There must be a reason why usually so few people enter these contests and why so many entered this particular one. I feel like doing a re-run on this theme!

What do you think? Is it worth considering reforming the music contest to make it more attractive?

Diversity is divine!

Vel

I think the rules should be as strict as the one who sets them wants them to be. It's also harder to judge completely different tunes in style and mood. Moreover, the winner in my opinion should have the freedom to set whatever rules he wishes, and to hear the entries in the respective genre.

Nikolas

I don't think that this could be easily repeated...

somehow this seems to me as an one of thing... Plus the extra time also helped. That said, I personally, just happened to have this tune to me and use it here, other wise I wouldn't have the time to work on a new piece...

Either way, variation is very nice always! :D

kaputtnik

Maybe it was just a lucky coincidence. Or maybe lots of people had tunes floating around and googled themselves some more or less fitting pictures and took part right away. I'll check the next one out, too - expect the worst, folks. Nice contest!
I, object.

bartillier

Nick Dangerous

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk