MAGS April: Unexpected

Started by Klaus, Sun 01/04/2007 19:20:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month's guidelines are set by Gamer_V, winner of the last month's competition. These rules go for the unexpected. This doesn't mean that your game has to be weird - you can also make a logical story out of this! A challenging contest...

Topic: Unexpected

- The first line must be "I wish I was a lettuce" (other plants are also okay and/or you can play with the word)
- The game needs to have an confusing menu/console screen (which means it shouldn't be too obvious how it works)
- At least one conversation with a character must make no sense at all to the player
- One inventory item must be something abstract (= love, greed, world peace, etc.)
- The ending needs to be confusing and unexpected to the story

That's it. No other restrictions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All games need to be in by April 26th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Jon

Hmm, I might enter this one, stay tuned!

Quote from: Klaus on Sun 01/04/2007 19:20:52
- The game needs to have an confusing menu/console screen (which means it shouldn't be too obvious how it works)

Sorry if I don't understand, but, would this menu screen mean the actual opening 'Menu Screen'? Or does it have to be in-game?

Gamer_V

Quote from: Jon on Sun 01/04/2007 19:45:36
Hmm, I might enter this one, stay tuned!

Sorry if I don't understand, but, would this menu screen mean the actual opening 'Menu Screen'? Or does it have to be in-game?
The way I meant it to be, it could be both. Hence the '/'. Be creative.  :D

I'm doubting if I'll enter, it just doesn't seem such a challenge when I've made up the guidelines. Anyway, good luck to all. ;)

Radiant

Our chief weapon is adventures.
Adventures and games...
Games and adventures...
Our TWO weapons are games and adventures... and pretty graphics!
Our THREE weapons are games, adventures, pretty graphics... and an almost fanatical devotion to the Chris.
Our FOUR... no.
AMONGST our weapons...
Amongst our weaponry are such things as adventures, games...
I'll come in again.

Storygamer

Hmmmm, I've had an idea for a game for a long time now that would fit these rules...not sure if I will do it though.  Right now I'm devoting a lot of time to the game I'm already working on...

Captain Lexington

Wait, so the guidelines this month are 'Make 2001: A Space Odyssey' into a game?

This sounds fun, I might actually do this, even though my regular game is taking up a lot of time.

Akatosh

Looks like I'll enter this month. I'm really good at confusing and random stuff.

/EDIT: With something really, really unexpected. I mean, it's monthly AGS, not Point'n'Click adventure competition.

/EDIT EDIT: Forget about that. Cascade Failure!

LGM

I might actually do this one...
You. Me. Denny's.

RyRayer

Jon

Sorry if i'm nit-picking but

- One inventory item must be something abstract (= love, greed, world peace, etc.)

Can there be more than one item which is abstract?

Akatosh

Yeah, while we're at that... would "Internal Functions" count as an abstract inventory item? If no, would a piece of information be possible?  Or a 'Stack Error'?

monkey0506

If anyone's interested, I've got an idea for an, "unexpected," "confusing," maybe even "hard-to-work-out" GUI system. Though I haven't really got an idea for a story...and I'm not too hawt with the graphics either. But if anyone's interested in an award-winning GUI system...give me a PM. ;D

Radiant

But now that you've said this, your GUI will be expected by people who send you a PM. How's that for a paradox?

Akatosh

Right, you should just send it around randomly.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Not really. People will expect something unexpected, but they won't know exactly what, so the GUI per se will still be unexpected.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Jon

Introducing...

ALIEN ATTACK

My first game, pretty short but it was fun to make.

Download

Playable Characters:
Ginnie: The main character, slightly dim but 'Creative'.
Tay: His real name is James Taylor, but those words are too big for him to manage, so he is known as Tay. He is dim-witted and a n00b.

Enjoy!

Akatosh

And that on April 6th! Well, that *was* unexpected... but please, get another filehoster. I hate having to wait on my download link.

/EDIT:

An error has occured. Please contact the game author for support, as this
is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS.
(ACI version 2.72.920)

Error: DisplayMessage: Invalid message number to display

When  using love with the first inventor item.

Buckethead

Ehm... I'm not sure if it's allowed to use those graphics.  You can only use free music and sounds not free characters and such.

Jon

Quote from: Akatosh on Fri 06/04/2007 13:48:50
An error has occured. Please contact the game author for support, as this
is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS.
(ACI version 2.72.920)

Error: DisplayMessage: Invalid message number to display

When  using love with the first inventor item.

I'll try and get that sorted Akatosh, thanks for that.

Quote from: Mr. Buckéthead on Fri 06/04/2007 13:57:55
Ehm... I'm not sure if it's allowed to use those graphics.  You can only use free music and sounds not free characters and such.

Arn't I? I got the hint
you can also use free material that is available to the public.
that you could. Oh well, I don't mind if I lose or get disqualified, it's just a bit of fun :).

monkey0506

Based on what I said anyone who PMs me might expect an award-winning GUI system. But they might get something...ahem....unexpected. :=

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk