Space Quest II Remake - Various Positions Available at Infamous Adventures

Started by Klytos, Wed 04/04/2007 15:31:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Klytos

Infamous Adventures is working on a remake of Space Quest II (and another project) and we're putting the call out for talented people to help us make it even better (and importantly, faster!)

Here are two offical screenshots.

STORY: Roger Wilco, with his newfound status of Hero, is transferred to the Xenon Orbital Station 4 and promoted to head (and only) janitor. All is quiet until he is abducted by Sludge Vohaul, who was behind the original Sarien attack of the Arcada. As Roger is being transported to the Labion labour mines as punishment for thwarting Sludge's original plan, the prison ship crash-lands in a nearby jungle upon the planet. Our hero manages to escape his pursuers and the dangers of the Labion jungle and soon reaches Sludge's asteroid base. Once again, it's up to Roger alone to stop Vohaul's evil plan: to eradicate sentient life from Xenon by launching millions of cloned insurance salesmen at the planet.

OFFICIAL SQII WEBSITE http://www.infamous-adventures.com/index.php?page=sq2

BREAKDOWN
Backgrounds - 95% complete
Animation      - 47% complete
Sprite Design - 90% complete
Scripting/Programming - 80% complete

Note that these figures are rough estimates.  There's no given release date - this is a "when's it's done" type of project.

As noted, it could get done quicker if you're interested in helping out with animation, which is the biggest workload at this point.

DEMO Click here to download the Space Quest II Teaser Demo

Backgrounds and more information is available on the IA website
www.infamous-adventures.com

Animation Artists : People who are talented in creating animations in a 2D environment. Similar to standard cartoon animation, most walk cycles are 8 directions by 8 frames per direction. This is our biggest need area as there is so much to do.

Background Artists :  Disney look seen in movies such as the Lion King and Alladin. This is in particular for a mini-game within the larger project.

Quality Checkers : Positions are available NOW for QA people to work on our remake of SQ2. You job is boring! Yes, thats right, it's boring! You must be willing to work a single room or section trying absolutly everything that is possible. You must be willing to make Roger walk between rooms at every available section making sure he doesn't get stuck or something else happens to him. You MUST be fluent in the English language and be able to check our spelling and grammer.

What sort of person are you?
* Motivated to complete your work in a timely manner
* Full of great ideas and able to communicate them effectivly
* Someone who stands up for what you believe in
* Able to have a laugh at yourself and at others without taking offense
* A fun person who loves adventure games and wants to work to see more

Work with people who love what they do, and who are able and have a proven track record of getting their projects finished! (All one of them so far...  ;D) If you can fill any of these positions, please email Klytos at mills.shawn@gmail.com or PM on the IA forums at www.infamous-adventures.com.

~ Shawn (aka Klytos)

thewalrus

Yes, I saw this on your web-site. It looks most promising. I also checked out the little demo/trailer. I was very pleased to see that you guys were remaking a Space Quest game. Will the game be a one to one copy again or will there be some additional plot and other goodies? I love the way its coming out so far.... Good luck with the project!!!
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I'd like to see some of the character sprites for this SQ remake since you mention needing animation help rather than sprite artists.  I really, truly despise the old sierra super blended sprite design and so I'm curious if you're going to try a new direction with the art -- and if so -- I just might be able to lend a hand.

-ProgZ

Blackthorne

Edit By Darth - posts combined
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

Darth Mandarb

I combined BT's post into the first post ... not sure how/why that wasn't done properly (by the rules) in the first place?

Either way...

Screenies look great!  Space Quest II holds a special place in my heart, I hope you're doing it justice!!

Vel

Hey, that's an awesome project! Space quest ][ is my second favourite SQ, after the third one. Is this going to be a 1:1 remake? Please please please get rid of the dead ends this time, mmmkay?

rich

Quote from: ProgZmax on Wed 04/04/2007 16:31:30
I'd like to see some of the character sprites for this SQ remake since you mention needing animation help rather than sprite artists.  I really, truly despise the old sierra super blended sprite design and so I'm curious if you're going to try a new direction with the art -- and if so -- I just might be able to lend a hand.

-ProgZ

Actually, we need help with both... it's really the same sort of thing. I think Klytos meant that we have most of the sprites started and laid out, we need help with actually animating them. The style of the sprites matches the style of SQ1VGA and SQ4. What do you mean by "super blended sprite design"?

Quote from: Vel on Wed 04/04/2007 19:38:48
Hey, that's an awesome project! Space quest ][ is my second favourite SQ, after the third one. Is this going to be a 1:1 remake? Please please please get rid of the dead ends this time, mmmkay?

It's not an exact 1:1 remake as we've slightly altered a few puzzles and changed around some of the layouts. But the story is the same. That being said, I believe we've left in most of the dead-ends. I never thought that the deadends in SQ2 were that terrible.

-Rich
I'm so excited!

deadsuperhero

This game looks terrific. Definately a talented team you've got over at IA.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Blackthorne

Yeah, actually Space Quest II had a number of potential dead-ends already eliminated in it's original design.

For instance, there are several ways to "beat" the Labion Terror Beast, and get into the Ship Platform on Labion.

As Rich said, it's a 1:1 remake - we've added nothing to the story, but there were a few art and puzzle redesigns to fit the Point and Click model.

Bt

strazer

Nooooooooooooo!! AGSflashlight.dll!!
Can't you please try a scripting solution? I've been waiting ages for a SQ2 remake and now since I use Linux I won't be able to play it because of the plugin.

deltamatrix

BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

strazer

I'd rather not use it. It breaks every so often and I haven't yet been able to use the keyboard with AGS games at all.

Kurdt

Anyways, join the team! It ought to be tons of fun if you can handle a little hard work and a lot of clowning around. This should be one hell of an awesome remake.
"The reason why so few good books are written is that so few people who can write know anything."

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Super backgrounds!

Blackthorne understands what I mean about super blended sprites- take a close look at your Roger, the details are washed away in scattered shades and the result is something that looks like you took a smoothing tool to it.  It's just not something I find visually spectacular, but I admire your commitment to keeping with the Sierra style.  Good luck with this!

Kweepa

Quote from: strazer on Thu 05/04/2007 00:48:13
Nooooooooooooo!! AGSflashlight.dll!!
Can't you please try a scripting solution? I've been waiting ages for a SQ2 remake and now since I use Linux I won't be able to play it because of the plugin.

This is a module replacement for the plugin. It may not be interface equivalent though.
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=30137.0
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Klytos

Quote from: ProgZmax on Fri 06/04/2007 17:55:11
Super backgrounds!

Blackthorne understands what I mean about super blended sprites- take a close look at your Roger, the details are washed away in scattered shades and the result is something that looks like you took a smoothing tool to it.  It's just not something I find visually spectacular, but I admire your commitment to keeping with the Sierra style.  Good luck with this!

You think those backgrounds are good, you should see the amazing work that has been done on the asteroid pics! (Okay, thats a shameless plug, but I don't do the art so I can be slightly objective... lol)

That particular Roger sprite is directly ripped from SQ4. We just consider it logical to use the Roger sprite that would match SQ1VGA and SQ4.

doctorfargo

I can't wait for you guys to finish this!! It looks awesome!!! Space Quest 2 is one of my favorite Space Quests. Any idea how long untill you finish? Maybe 6 months or so?

Blackthorne

Quote from: gumpy on Tue 10/04/2007 23:31:24
I can't wait for you guys to finish this!! It looks awesome!!! Space Quest 2 is one of my favorite Space Quests. Any idea how long untill you finish? Maybe 6 months or so?

There's no way to project a definite release date, but I can promise that we are working on this one rather quickly and efficiently.

Bt

Blackthorne

Hey guys.

Just a quick update, for those who don't peruse our site:

We're holding open auditions for the voice pack for SPACE QUEST II.  If you've ever wanted to voice, perhaps, Roger, Vohaul or even the narrator, drop by our site to see the announcement.

www.infamous-adventures.com

Or, send a sample and "resume" to blackthorne at infamous-adventures.com and I'll get back to you.

If you've ever been interested in voice acting, drop me a line!  Be a part of something fun!

Bt

Alarconte

WOW!!!

This project is alive!

How awensome :D

If you are requiring voice acting, means that the game would be released soon or is in final stage?

please, tell us!
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk