About Cabbages & Kings and Kittens & Cacti from Reality-On-The-Norm

Started by Fleshstalker, Sat 07/04/2007 22:17:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleshstalker

ManicMatt

Fleshstalker

So I can organize my folders of short, medium and full length games I've downloaded.

Steel Drummer

I do that with my music. I organize every genre of music in a separate folder, then every artist in a separate folder, then I make folders for all of their albums. Isn't this game in the games database?
I'm composing the music for this game:

Fleshstalker

Its's not in the AGS game list. Most of the ROTN games aren't on there. Only on ROTN website, but they don't say the length of them.  :(

Steel Drummer

Check the filesize. Either that, or just put it in medium length- most games fall under that category. If you're a perfectionist, play the game and see how long it is yourself.
I'm composing the music for this game:

Fleshstalker

Screw it. Since the 3rd part (Apocalypse Meow)  is on the AGS game list as medium length, I put these first two as the same. Then again the first part (Cabbages & Kings)  is only about 900KB while Kittens is about the same file size as Apocalypse Meow.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Dude, in the beginning I did that as well.

You know how my AGS games folder is organized now?

"RON Games", "Maniac Mansion Mania Games", "Non-Adventure Games" and "Regular Games", and the latter includes everything, including MAGS.

You know, playing games should be fun. I see no reason why organizing them should be such a tedious affair.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Nostradamus

All RON games are small games, some few could be maybe classified as medium, but to me they're all small... and fun.

But dude you're way too much Monica Geller-Bing with organizing your games. My AGS games are not categorized at all, except that I burn everything I gathered every year or two and so I have a time reference but that's the only order it has.

Speaking of RON, it saddens me that it's almost dead.

Radiant

Quote from: Fatal Fury on Sat 07/04/2007 22:17:04
Are they considered as short or medium length games?
They're probably "brief games" or "concise games" :)

Anyway the distinction is a bit blurry, and I would suggest that somebody who has played a LOT of AGS games go over (part of) the games.php database to clear that out. I reclassified nearly all of my games as 'medium' because they can't be completed in an hour or so (unlike, say, 6-day assassin, imho).

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: Nostradamus on Sun 08/04/2007 08:18:14
Speaking of RON, it saddens me that it's almost dead.

Sigh.  Yes.  The forum has a few regulars, but RoN is one of those rare communities that actually NEEDS newbies to keep it strong.  I don't think anybody knows about it, or even cares, which kills me.  I still have a soft spot for that crazy li'l town.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I tried to do a RON game a couple of times... I guess I'm not just a natural gamemaker. It also grieves me to see it dwindle and die.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Renegade Implementor

Speaking frankly, RoN is only active when there are people contributing to it.  Be it creating games, graphics, art, writing, or simply participating on the forum in discussions or the forum activities, there has to be people who are willing to participate otherwise very little output occurs.

Far better to get involved in some way, either in a solo project or with a group, than stand by silently.

I believe in RoN and the stories that can still be told.  As long as there are people who believe in RoN and are willing to watch over it, then it won't die.

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: Renegade Implementor on Tue 10/04/2007 02:01:02
Speaking frankly, RoN is only active when there are people contributing to it.  Be it creating games, graphics, art, writing, or simply participating on the forum in discussions or the forum activities, there has to be people who are willing to participate otherwise very little output occurs.

Back in its heydey, everyone in the AGS community knew about RoN.  It was a great way for a newbie to cut their teeth.  I know it was that way for me, as well as folks like Creed, Grundislav, AGA, Steve McCrea, and others.  It's to be expected that they all move on eventually.  The problem is that nobody is around to take their place.  I don't think the current "generation" of AGSers even knows about RoN in the first place. 

It's not just lack of interest.   I think there are lots of people who would love to make a RoN game, if they only knew it existed.  How to get the word out is anybody's guess.

Captain Lexington

I know about RoN! If you guys really want it to be saved, I'll go check it out... :)

Nostradamus

Quote from: Dave GilbertIt's not just lack of interest.   I think there are lots of people who would love to make a RoN game, if they only knew it existed.  How to get the word out is anybody's guess.

It's a catch 22 problem, as long as new RON games came out it caught people's interest and made them want to make RON games. If there's no new RON games, new people don't hear about RON. Etc. Also in the early years RON games were announced in the main AGS board while the last couple of years the few RON games that came out usually weren't even announced here, only on the RON site.
There can be ways to spike new interest and awareness of RON. The next MAGS can be a RON game competition (or a new one time competition can be established). We can do a RON general trivia quiz game that spans the entire series with some kind of prize or title to the winner that will make people wanna play the games.
Maybe the whole RON forum should be moved here as a sub-forum so it would become more mainstream and anybody that joins the community immeditately knows about RON.

Finally, I hope I'm wrong on this point but maybe the current storyline and resources have run their course, and new resources should be introduced for young AGS programmers to play with, maybe even a new project should be started. Maybe even a spin-off series project that has to do with a RON character (or some) in a different place.
I believe attempts to make RON live again should be exhausted before trying a completely new series but if all fails this can be a good idea to have such a concept live again.

And Orator, have fun and if you decide to make a RON game, good luck, we'll be waiting!

Ali

I've never played a RON game, though I have been aware of RON since I joined the forums.

I think what's kept me away from RON is it's history, so many characters and some rows. I've never considered engaging with that history because it seemed to me that 'you had to be there'.

Nostradamus' final suggestion is good. it might be less intimidating for new RON games or a RON MAGS to take elements or characters from RON, rather than take on RON as a whole.

Nostradamus

Quote from: Ali on Tue 10/04/2007 10:49:43
I've never played a RON game, though I have been aware of RON since I joined the forums.

I think what's kept me away from RON is it's history, so many characters and some rows. I've never considered engaging with that history because it seemed to me that 'you had to be there'.

Here's a suggestion: just play the series from the start, you'll understand all the characters and history if you play the series chronologically. It may look like a lot cos the series has over 70 games but the games are pretty short so it shouldn't intidimate you to go through so much games.
And if you make a game you don't have to include all characters and all storylines, just pick up where one of the latest storylines stopped. You need to know the history so you won't mix things up and ruin the chronology but you don't have to relate to all of it in a game you would make.

Erenan

I've been slowly playing through the RON games. Perhaps once I get through all the existing ones I'll make one of my own, but we'll see about that once I get there.
The Bunker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk