Perfecting the art of backgrounds

Started by Zaidyer, Sun 08/04/2007 20:14:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaidyer

Backgrounds are probably my weakest point in adventure game design. I spend more time on character art, so my experience with background art is low to non-existent.

Here's a preliminary sketch I'm using to lay out the room and the objects in it:

And here's the current progress at painting it in:

I'm at a loss as to how to work with this. The idea here is to emulate the "wacky" exploded perspectives of Day of the Tentacle, but it's never easy. I'm also having trouble with colors and painting techniques, so for now I've just left it all at hard edges.

If I can't figure this out I may have to ditch the motif here and go with a regular perspective in the Super Jazz Man style, where the entire background is treated as pixel art instead of a small painting. Either way, suggestions and advice are strongly encouraged.
~Zaidyer

markbilly

What you have so far there is looking good. Carry on painting over your sketch with that style and then you can concentrate on the perfection and little details. I like the perspective you have managed there. Stick with that for now.

Medical Waste

Just keep working on it. Make everything in layers for easy modification. If you make some major changes save it as a different file, and just try different things till you find something you like.
THE PATIENTS ARE REVOLTING

Sparky

I think your general workflow seems good. I second Medical Waste's suggestion to keep everything in layers (that is, if you aren't already doing that...). If you are using a program that allows it, I'd suggest making a plain colored layer for each object then painting the object silhouette in a layer mask. That way when you are doing detail work later on. you can paint color and lighting in the layer itself withouth worrying about messing up outlines.

Regarding antialiasing or not, I'd recommend antialiasing from the start. I had the same question myself a while ago. I found it takes much longer to add antialiasing to a drawing at the end than it does to simply draw it with an antialiased brush. You can work pretty rough, it's easy to go back and refine edges later.

Neat background, I'm sure this will look great when finished.

radiowaves

Don't draw stuff on lined or squared paper, draw stuff on clean paper! Trust me, it gives you better solutions, more positive influence. No disturbing lines.

And usually colours are not the same in shadows. For example, green leaf has blue shadow, but not dark-green. Try to play a little with colour tones and values, you will get better through practice, see what looks best for the atmosphere. Usually warm tones have cold shadows and vice versa. Once you are getting the colour theory, start trying adding colour reflections on different surfaces (Everything reflects on something, even if you don't notice it) and dispersion.

I have also seen a good tip, especially for shadowy backgrounds, to make the main composition from biggest shadows and shades, and start working from silhouette. It is nice to keep things simple at start.
I am just a shallow stereotype, so you should take into consideration that my opinion has no great value to you.

Tracks

Zaidyer

Here's a progress update so far...

And here it is in a game:

A few things are going on here. First, I changed the color of the walls. I chose purple, but it could probably be some other color. It's supposed to look like a pitiful old shack that was decorated in the 70's, so suggestions and simple paint-overs would be helpful.

Next, I went over most of the picture elements with anti-aliased brushes to smooth off the hard edges. I might possibly re-draw the furniture, though, since they're unimportant set pieces. Right now the bright colors and harsh edges make it look too much like the player should be interacting with them. (Only the TV Set is intended to be a usable hotspot.) Suggestions here would also help.
~Zaidyer

Akatosh

Eigen

I think the floor is too light, looks like a sandy beach, and somewhat clashes with the wall color.
But otherwise amazing!

Ghost

Zaider, that's quality stuff, and you're up to a great start if you can keep that quality.

Two little advices; try a lighter colour than black for the checkerboard floor- part of your "walkbehind" merge into black tiles. I know that looks harmless enough, and I've created the same effect in some of my own backgrounds, but it can be disturbing. Maybe a dark gray, or blue.
I would also adjust the perspective a TINY bit to make it less "tilted". The point of view seems a bit to high for the perspective your character#s drawn in.

Apart from that, yeah, I wish I'd been that good when I started on AGS...

markbilly

I really really (really...) like that! It's amazing. Keep it up.

Your GUIs are looking brilliant too, by the way!

SinSin

im a biiiiiig fan of dott and i reckon this is an ace bg     

one point the wall lighting is a lil (i dont know what the word should be but maybe)   

Wrong

or are they supposed to be different shades of purple

But quality work pal
Currently working on a project!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk