Dr. Lutz and the Time Travel Machine

Started by Art, Thu 12/04/2007 20:33:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Sythe

Some definate DOTT influence here :)

Time machine, diamond, getting stuck in the past. Crazy inventor, even the art style.

Perhaps not as orginal as it could have been, but not bad.

Rosie

Thank you so much for that very entertaining game..... Very well done and just enough puzzles to not go too crazy......... Clean and a good story line....... Thank you again, Look forward to more from you.........

Joneleth

Good game, though I didn't like the ending. :)

Michael Beck

I agree -- good game, bad ending.  After going through the puzzles players want a reward, not a letdown.

May I suggest he discovers it is due to climate change, and doesn't reveal to anyone that he's invented a time machine to avoid giving Gunnarson a victory?

Mats Berglinn

Like the game but I agree about the ending.
Spoiler
I don't like tradic endings.
[close]

Sorry Geoff, was a bit too upset to think.

Spoiler
I really like that Toby from Robotragedy 1 and 2 made a funny cameo in the future.
[close]

Gregjazz

Maybe you could put any talk about the ending in spoiler text, please? ;)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I think the ending was just fine.  Great job all around!

Zaidyer

This is a fun, short game. The ending was not entirely unexpected, but I liked it. The music is especially good and really breathes life into the game, too.
~Zaidyer

bury

Very nice graphics, love the music. The story I have yet to fully peruse, but the game seems very promising in this aspect. One flaw I have noticed that draws heavily from the game's enjoyment, the English translation. Even though normally the translation would fit the game very well, the simplified English seemed just plain silly in the mouth of an eccentric professor, after all he should use high-brow vocabulary and sublime structures as the representative of the inteligentsia. You really should get someone more skilled to do the translation. But all in all, a fine game, keep up the great work!

Dan_N

I am playing this now, and I'm having great fun with it, more critique when I finish it :).

Drawken

Great work. I really enjoyed your game.
I especially like the art style.
The trunk combination graphics and animated windows were nice touches.
I also liked it because it's one of the few games I didn't need any hints.
Hope to see more from you in the future.
<First time placing in a Sprite Jam. Neato.

Canardo

Heh, a really nice game. Maybe a bit text-heavy but that is passable. Particularly I liked the puzzles(with the exception of getting the wrench, it feels as if you ran out of ideas) and the musics, great job all of you! I agree with critique about the ending, it was a bit...unexpected so to speak.

I didn`t feel the game should`ve been any longer, I finished it in about an hour on my first try and the lenght felt just alright. All in all, good job!

(Oh, how do you use the spoiler tags by the way? I couldn`t find that under the text-formatting -link.)
Here`s looking at you kid.

http://afterashadow.blogspot.com

ank

Okay good game.. but what the hell was that ending all about? Can somebody please explain to me?

paolo

Quote from: bury on Mon 16/04/2007 18:11:35
One flaw I have noticed that draws heavily from the game's enjoyment, the English translation. Even though normally the translation would fit the game very well, the simplified English seemed just plain silly in the mouth of an eccentric professor, after all he should use high-brow vocabulary and sublime structures as the representative of the inteligentsia. You really should get someone more skilled to do the translation. But all in all, a fine game, keep up the great work!

Just to be clear on this: Pijin did the translation into English, and I proof-read it. A few mistakes still got through into the final game, alas (either by my oversight or Pijin's), the worst of which was that
Spoiler
the mobile in the kid's bedroom got called a "rattle"
[close]
, although none of the errors made any difference to the gameplay. I had access to the text only, and so had to do the best job I could proof-reading the text without seeing the game.

If Pijin had given me the text in the original language, then I could have translated it and provided Dr Lutz with a suitably eccentric professorial tone. As that isn't what Pijin asked me to do, that isn't what happened. My brief was to correct spelling, grammar and mistranslations, not to rewrite the script.

You say it "heavily" spoiled your enjoyment of the game, but I really hope it didn't. I think it was an improvement of the text in the Robotragedy games, and miles better than some of the semi-literate, typo-riddled, barely readable text seen in some AGS games (mentioning no names).

bury

Obviously you have no reason to feel responsible for the actual quality of the translation. No need to jump up into a series of excuses.  (As far as the actual proof-reading is concerned, I found only a few spelling mistakes).Plus, after playing the whole game, I must say the whole script isn't as weak as it seemed at the beginning. It is quite decent, though there were a few lines which didn't seem appropriate, but no, by no means did the translation drew from my enjoyment after all. Actually, professor's personality seemed to vary greatly, from the beginning into the middle, perhaps not to the depth I would have liked, but certainly to a discernable degree.
Overall, as I said, a decent solid game, although I really look forward to more serious-themed games from PPA-Entertainment.

Nostradamus

Very nice game.
A game with LucasArts graphical style, LucasArts font and partly LucasArts GUI, plus the DOTT influence of the story and some humor are always a mix that many will love.
The dialogue and settings were interesting, though I'd like to explore more the 3rd time setting some more. The puzzles were mostly good but there were two I really hated:
Spoiler
1) the pulling the rope for a SECOND time to get the basket of stuff. In adventure games you very rarely expect to do the same action twice and get a different result. So you get stuck just becaue you're used to not repeating actions in adventure games.
2) the puzzle with the 3 levers to take off the alarms. You just have to go randomly until you get 2 combinations right. This straightly pisses adventure gamers off. It's annoying because of its randomness. A puzzle like that should come with a hint somewhere in the game. Just like the hint that was hidden for the chest in the past.
[close]
Other than that I really enjoyed the game and am looking forward to more games from you in this style.
Also the default language in the game must be English. As you saw in a previous post some people didn't know there was an English version.

sthomannch

I agree in one point with Nostradamus
Spoiler

The lever puzzle could be improved a lot. Perhaps I missed something, but there was no hint about the necessary sequence, except for one message in the middle of this trial and error thing. I was happy that there where not too many levers and positions. Reminds me of another game with a trial and error puzzle with a bucket, three pipes with liquids in three colours and four positions for the valves...

About the rope: I think it happens frequently in adventure games that one has to repeat a certain action, and also that the outcome is sometimes different. I thought that the dialogue suggested pulling the rope again.
[close]
Language: If the game creator ships a README, which lists the available languages and explains how to switch between them, it is good enough for me. And why not Italian or Hindi or something else as default?

Nostradamus

Because the majority of the people speak English and when someone who is new to AGS downloads a game that has an English translation but the default language is something else they might abandon the game, and a game author doesn't want, does he?
There could be 30 languages translations in a game, all are welcome, but if there's an English translation it should always be the default one, for the benefit of the majority.

Peder 🚀

Excellent game!

though the ending really suprised me :P.

Looking forward to see more games from you in the future!

Peder.

Blackbone

Can someone help me with the locked crest? I can't come up with the combination.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk