Ideal age/Now mostly about Religion and Religious Upbringing

Started by Helm, Mon 16/04/2007 21:47:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikolas

Quote from: Pesty on Wed 18/04/2007 23:45:35
Helm is just expressing how he feels about the situation.
Exactly as I am, on a different situation though.

As I mentioned earlier I also agree that maybe she's a tad young, but I have a feeling that for both of them this is not a problem. Furthermore I don't see it courtous, nice, or useful to comment on a relationship like that in public. (the argument this is not the critics lounge works in the games in production forum, but does not work in this thread? ;)) But anyhow, it's one of the agree to dissagree issues I gather...

If the 16 year old was my daughter, I might call the guy home to see what he's about. Since it's been brought up that is.

m0ds

"Don't worry, you look at least 18 today"

Tuomas

especially since Matt inferred that he wanted to beat up Helm for simply making an observation.

And here I got the impression he was going to kiss him O_o No wonder all the hostility.

And what comes to young women, this is probably not the best place to discuss it, but, she's legal, and I trust Matt knows best what he's doing. I'd rather not see my sister in such a situation, but 25ers are usually more responsible than say, 17ers. Oh, and she's not a kid, and if she is, Matt, be careful :) Girls at that age are really fragile :)

ManicMatt

I just don't find that funny m0ds.  >:(

Well maybe a little.. grr...

Helm suggested my girlfriend looks like a child, which makes me sound like some pedo. So no, I don't appreciate his bumbling question and comment.

Her mother is fine with me. Sure she'd have preferred someone closer to her age, but she's met me, and she's accepted it.

Wait, why am I justifying myself to you people? Piss off!

Where is Disco with his naked shower photos when you need him?

m0ds

Matt, It's simply always risky mentioning controversial aspects about your life on the internet, and even the sanctuary that is the AGS forums. SO I TAK0R TEH PISS!!11

I should know, I've posted up dangerous girlfriend material here too ;) & HAD PISS TEKKEN OFF ME!1

I'm sure this isn't the first and won't be the last time someone comments to you about a concern over your age gap. Its natural. I was 21 going out with an 17 year old and there were still some questions asked of me. Personally, I don't have a problem with strange dating age-gaps between the ages of 16 and 30. When people get together and they are happy that is essentially all that's needed. We're all still young at those ages & I'd argue we were put on this earth to fuck. So, providing its legal - so be it.

Anyway, I don't think you're a pedo. But that's not to say I don't think you're playing with fire, for the simple fact as people say, there are so many confusing times for someone who's 16 still to come that I find it hard to beleive they will be mature enough to understand exactly what you want or need from a relationship, and vice versa. Luckily though, some women (and men) don't care. Providing their sex quota is met. :P

Helm

QuoteI don't see it courtous, nice, or useful to comment on a relationship like that in public.

If people don't want people making reasonable observations about easy to see aspects of their relationship, then they shouldn't make public posts/post images of their loved ones or that about their relationship.

If someone - and I'm not saying that's on the same wavelength as what Matt did - posts pictures of himself and his wife and she's covered in bruises and crying I won't find it unreasonable to ask if he's beating her.
WINTERKILL

Pesty

Quote from: Nikolas on Wed 18/04/2007 23:54:38
Helm is just expressing how he feels about the situation.
Exactly as I am, on a different situation though.

As I mentioned earlier I also agree that maybe she's a tad young, but I have a feeling that for both of them this is not a problem. Furthermore I don't see it courtous, nice, or useful to comment on a relationship like that in public. (the argument this is not the critics lounge works in the games in production forum, but does not work in this thread? ;)) But anyhow, it's one of the agree to dissagree issues I gather...

If the 16 year old was my daughter, I might call the guy home to see what he's about. Since it's been brought up that is.

I genuinely don't care about being courteous, nice, or useful.

Also, I agree with Helm again, if you want to be safe from being commented on, don't post pictures. Although this is a magical thread that's non-picture posts are deleted regularly, people still have every right to say what they feel about the pictures you post.

Matt, nobody accused you of being a pedophile. Helm just mentioned that your girlfriend looked young, and indeed she IS young. 16 is young, whether you think so or not and whether it's legal or not. Maybe she's more mature than most 16 year old girls, but that doesn't change the fact that she's young. Nobody is telling you to break up with her. If you're secure enough in your relationship with her, what the hell does it matter what some people on a forum feel about it?
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

voh

Quote from: Tuomas on Tue 17/04/2007 09:47:41
20/2 +7 ... = 17... that's too old for my taste. Actually it's great. But makes me just wonder.... 70/2+7=42 So here's yet another blondie marrying a senile dying millionaire.

I use a different rule, which is (x=age, y=result): y = (x/2) + (x/3)

So 70 would equate to 58.3, which is somewhat more realistic.

Also, in my case it would either be 19.5 (half + 7) or (using my rule) 20.8.

My rule is comfy.

Also, I agree with Helm and Pesty. 9 years is just too much. A 16-year old girl of whom I was under the impression that she was 19 (it does happen, aye) was promptly struck off of the "hawtsome" list and had her name scribbled in unsightly handwriting right onto the "one year ago it'd've be illegal" list.

But hey, whatever makes you happy I guess.
Still here.

monkey0506

Although 25 - 16 = 9...it doesn't really matter so much IMO. Yes...she's a teenager and he's not. Yes, it's nine years. But look at it this way....life itself proves the non-existence of math*.

What's more important than age is physical, mental, and emotional maturity. Sure there's more, but those are probably some of the most important. We all know that Matt's kinda immature himself...;)...so I'm sure it works out perfectly. On a more serious note though, as long as she is mature enough to make the relationship work, I don't see a reason why age should be such a huge issue.

The girl I'm currently madly in love with...:P...is 3 years, 13 months, and 6 days younger than me...(;D). I'm 19 (as of 4 April 2007), so she'll be turning 15 on 10 May. voh's rule tells me 15 is my minimum age. Her parents don't support my interest in her and she only likes me as a friend. And that's the way I like it...hahaha...see...I'm going to go on a mission for my church...eventually. I'm unsure at this point exactly when I'll be leaving. Anyway, her parents have told me when I get back from my mission (which will last two years) that she'll be old enough to date. And she's agreed to go out with me at least once when I get back. So...it gives me something to look forward to.

But I can (to a certain extent) sympathize with Matt here. People have called me a paedo (the correct spelling of "pedo") for liking a girl that's 4 years younger than me...but I don't care. What I care about is her. I care about her more than I've ever cared for another human being in my life...and considering my previous...erm..."crushes"...that's really saying something. I WANT TO MARRY THAT GIRL! And I don't care who knows it! := I'd post a picture except...I only have one of her and it's not very good...and besides...her parents would murder me for putting that on the internet again...XD Oooohhhhh the implications of my words....

*Zeno's Paradox

Tuomas

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Thu 19/04/2007 04:34:40
The girl I'm currently madly in love with...:P...is 3 years, 13 months, and 6 days younger than me...(;D). I'm 19 (as of 4 April 2007), so she'll be turning 15 on 10 May.

And as you see, we all like minors deep down ;)

Redwall

QuoteThe girl I'm currently madly in love with...:P...is 3 years, 13 months, and 6 days younger than me...(;D). I'm 19 (as of 4 April 2007), so she'll be turning 15 on 10 May. voh's rule tells me 15 is my minimum age. Her parents don't support my interest in her and she only likes me as a friend. And that's the way I like it.

Thank you for upping the creepiness of this thread that much more.
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

voh

Hey, I'm not saying age difference is bad. I dated a girl for 2 years who was 4 years younger than me. But it was 18-22 at the time, and even then I was apprehensive. But it worked out fine, though in the end one of the main reasons it ended was because she was too immature. But I'd never go for anyone under 20 from this point on because of that.

It depends on the person, and I'm not saying Matt's a sicko, I'm just saying I can see where Helm is coming from. I wouldn't do it myself either.

But if he's happy with her, and she with him, and her parents approve, all the luck to 'em :)
Still here.

radiowaves

I am just a shallow stereotype, so you should take into consideration that my opinion has no great value to you.

Tracks

Meowster

I'm 6 years younger than my boyfriend. We met when he was nearly 25, and I was 19.

We were both a little apprehensive about the age difference, but it's worked out really well. We've been together for 2 years and live together now.

The thing is though, he's always been a little immature for his age, and I've always been a LOT more mature than other people my age. So I guess it worked. If I was an ordinary 21 year old and went out pubbing and clubbing and whatever else... then maybe it wouldn't work. But I'm pretty mellow for a 21 year old... I like staying in, keeping my house tidy, relaxing at home in my comfy living room with a bottle of wine... we also have really similar interests IE video games, internet, writing, reading...

So it worked. And this year I'll be 21 and he'll be 27, but it really doesn't seem like that much.

THAT SAID, he often gets funny looks from people because I STILL LOOK ABOUT 16. And he just has to deal with that. Unfortunately, I may be very mature for my age, but I look VERY young for my age. The way he's learned to deal with it, Matt, is to joke about it. It's when you have the maturity to have a relaxed attitude about it, that people know there's nothing wrong there... if you know what I mean.

Timosity

Age is a strange thing with relationships, I've had a couple of older and younger women,

10 years is the biggest gap, I was 30, she was 40, we're just friends these days, and she has kids 15 and 9, who are also my friends, it just wouldn't work cause I want to have kids and she's had her share

8 years comes in next I was 29, she was 21, wasn't that serious, she was a bit young

at 22 I also went out with an 18 year old fresh out of high school, that was a lot of fun but she was just starting uni, and we were heading in different directions

I guess age does play a part but usually age determines what stage you are at in general, but people are at different stages at different ages, and you just have to find a compatible person.

I do agree though not to mess with teens when you're in your mid twenties, no matter how mature they are (portray) you do eventually notice the immaturities, and they are still developing, it's best just not to go there. [just my opinion]

My older sister 33 is married to a 42yo they started going out when she was 25, they have 3 kids

My younger sister 28 is married to a 29yo they started going out when she was 15, they have 1 kid

2 of my friends at 31 are going out with 23yo's  The girls are definately more mature than they were 2 years ago when I was with one of their friends.

For me at this stage of my life 25-32 is probably a good range but no strict rule

Helm

Monkey, why are you in contact with her parents and haggling if she's only interested at you as a friend? That's... peculiar!
WINTERKILL

Meowster

Helm

Don't get me started with you little lady! 19 to 25 is a big difference! I forbid you to see Spaff anymore! Go to your room!
WINTERKILL

Meowster

I LOVE HIM. WE'RE IN LOVE. YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ME. NOBODY UNDERSTANDS ME.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

The Ivy

Quote from: Meowster on Thu 19/04/2007 13:41:43
I'm 6 years younger than my boyfriend. We met when he was nearly 25, and I was 19.

We were both a little apprehensive about the age difference, but it's worked out really well. We've been together for 2 years and live together now.

The thing is though, he's always been a little immature for his age, and I've always been a LOT more mature than other people my age. So I guess it worked. If I was an ordinary 21 year old and went out pubbing and clubbing and whatever else... then maybe it wouldn't work. But I'm pretty mellow for a 21 year old... I like staying in, keeping my house tidy, relaxing at home in my comfy living room with a bottle of wine... we also have really similar interests IE video games, internet, writing, reading...

So it worked. And this year I'll be 21 and he'll be 27, but it really doesn't seem like that much.

THAT SAID, he often gets funny looks from people because I STILL LOOK ABOUT 16. And he just has to deal with that. Unfortunately, I may be very mature for my age, but I look VERY young for my age. The way he's learned to deal with it, Matt, is to joke about it. It's when you have the maturity to have a relaxed attitude about it, that people know there's nothing wrong there... if you know what I mean.

Wow, that's my situation almost exactly, except the age difference is five years, not six. It's only an issue when we're trying to discuss 90s cartoons though. Apparently I missed the golden years.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk