Ideal age/Now mostly about Religion and Religious Upbringing

Started by Helm, Mon 16/04/2007 21:47:35

Previous topic - Next topic

vict0r

QuoteIf evolution exists, then why aren't monkeys changing into people nowadays?

Because evolution usually takes an extremely long time?

And please answer my earlier post with misunderstandings cleared up. Don't just try to mock me because you thought that I believed in magic.

Captain Lexington

Quote from: Steel Drummer on Sat 28/04/2007 21:05:27
Quote from: Babar
Just something to note, but if someone talked/preached about God the amount some people in this thread went to bash religion, they'd be shot down in flames for "pushing religion down everyone's throats".
That is incredibly true. It only proves that there is a god, because those who preach Him get bashed, but those who reject Him don't.

Wait, so you're argument proves that racism is valid, because for the most part racists are bashed, and people who aren't racist are not.

Mr Flibble

EDIT: Please don't think I'm bashing religion. I don't think that does any good, especially on the Internet. I just had these ideas and wanted to share them. Feel free to offer me spiritual advice.

Once upon a time there was a huge, blue teapot orbiting the Earth. No person on the Earth could see the blue teapot, and nor had they ever touched it. However, each and every one of them steadfastly believed that the teapot was there, and silently protected them.

I love that little story as an analagy for Religion  :)

How about this? Please read this if you're just skipping through this thread, because I think I have a good point. How many people in the world join a religion through their own initiative? I mean, if you took a group of people at birth and locked them in a cage, and told them to think about life, d you think they would be visited by god? Depending on how much you taught them about science, they might think the sun was a conscious entity. A god, if you will. How else could it move in the sky?

Oh wait, people did believe that didn't they. Relgious people, can you understand my point here? Religion is something you adopt when you have no idea what's happening. Those people in the cave would possibly invent beings akin to your own gods, when trying to explain the world. They would never say "Oh of course, it was Jesus." Not if you didn't tell them. So I'm sorry, but it's just something you were told. Like if I told you that you could eat lead and that it would be fortuitous to do so. If I told you that from an early age, you'd believe it just as steadfastly.

Until you stopped, observed the world, and analysed the facts, of course.
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

MrColossal

Don't tell me you're trying to prove the existance of god through Bob Marley?

Also, you really have no idea how the science works, and that's ok. No one ever taught it to you probably. But if you have no desire to learn then you have no ability to speak on the subject so I'd stop.

And saying god doesn't exist is not bashing.

People who believe in UFOs are also constantly "bashed" by real scientists, does that mean UFOs are real? How about White Supremecists? They're always being bashed for being wrong.

Anyway, I'm mostly interested in other people's growth out of religion, any other stories?
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Damien

QuoteLet me ask you again, do you agree that if you were born on Islam territory, in an Islamic family, you would be 100% with that religion, as you are now with Christianity?
Take your time.

QuoteJesus died for everyone, whether you wanted Him to or not.
It doesn't work that way. You can't assume everybody believes in this. I don't care, but a member of another religion would be offended.

Quote"If evolution exists, then why aren't monkeys changing into people nowadays?"
Remember this quote?
QuoteEvolution and natural selection is not random and the only people who say it is are religious people trying to disprove it. You don't understand the science behind it, sorry.

QuoteThat is incredibly true. It only proves that there is a god, because those who preach Him get bashed, but those who reject Him don't.
Actually, it proves nothing. You just wrote it as a fact, but that doesn't make it one.

Meowster

Vict0r, why don't you go to hell, and then see what you think of God. And while you're at it, read the Bible. Get some answers about life, instead of believing in magic, like something straight out of a Disney film.

haha Vict0r believes in Magic? You're the one who thinks a magical being came along and magically created everything using magic...!

Quote(from Colossal)

I am a very happy human being. I am an animal brought about by natural selection and evolution who has a super girlfriend for 6 or so years, a family that loves me, a job that I love, a cat that explodes with cuteness, an apartment to live in, enough money to more than get by and the only thing that scares me is losing my harddrive in a crash. I'm not afraid of the bogeyman or ghosts or sin or the devil. Humans have a fear of the unknown, sure, but not a fear of make believe.

I respect you 1 billion percent for this paragraph and I'm not even sure why.

Anyway.

god eh.

Why bring people in the world for the sole purpose of worshipping you?

Selfish. And gay!

QuoteSteel Drummer of religion bashers:

That is incredibly true. It only proves that there is a god, because those who preach Him get bashed, but those who reject Him don't.

That's not proof. In the same way, I could say that my boyfriend is GOD because I get bashed for talking about him all the time, but people who don't talk about him all the time, don't. Logic? I think not. Although my boyfriend IS actually god, so I guess it sort of is!

QuoteMohammed, Gautama, etc.- None of them claimed to be God's son, or even asked to receive worship- Jesus did.

It's really sad and pathetic, needy and selfish that Jesus asked to receive worship.

Where are you from, steel drummer? I'm guessing some kind of middle american state...

Steel Drummer

Quote from: Damien
And that's your argument? We know little, so there must be a God?
And your (and just about everyone else's) argument is "We know little, so there is no God."

vict0r: Stop mocking Christ and I'll stop mocking you.

Quote from: vict0r
What I believe is the reason for religion is that people did not know what were happening. Different happenings in nature that seemed confusing and unexplainable (maybe even magic) would have screwed with their head to believe that what they saw was over-natural and they would eventually start praying to someone/something for the good things to keep happening and for the tornadoes and stuff to piss off.
You want me to give it to you straight? Why are people so quick to disprove God? I have never heard any of you disprove evolution, or humanism, or scientology, and whatever else there is that doesn't follow a god.
So what do you believe happens after you die, if heaven and hell are a state of mind? 
Seriously, what's the point of reading the Bible if you condemn organized religion, and God, and all that stuff? Why are you reading it?
I'm composing the music for this game:

Damien

Quote from: Damien on Sat 28/04/2007 21:16:34
QuoteLet me ask you again, do you agree that if you were born on Islam territory, in an Islamic family, you would be 100% with that religion, as you are now with Christianity?
Take your time.
It is time.

Mr Flibble

Quote from: Steel Drummer on Sat 28/04/2007 21:18:38

You want me to give it to you straight? Why are people so quick to disprove God? I have never heard any of you disprove evolution, or humanism

And there is a very good reason for this...
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

Nikolas

Quote from: Steel Drummer on Sat 28/04/2007 21:05:27
Quote from: nikolas
steel drummer,

don't tell me that you are honestly trying to prove the existance of god in a forum like AGS..

Yes, and I'm being outnumbered by those who believe in evolution mumbo-jumbo. I'd rather join sides with a Muslim than someone who held the views of MrColossal or Nikolas (or almost anybody here).
You've GOT to be kidding me! You quoted me, on the post BEFORE MINE??? hihi

what exactly are my views? That I believe in a god, that could very well be your god, or a muslim god (who btw shares pretty much you opinions as well, you ignorant!). Or that I want to be nice. In that case you don't want to be nice...

*ahem* steel drummer (god I hate this nick, why was yoda so bad??), disaproving god, comes with the awful things that religions comes with, and along with the ignorace, as there is no proof. Science provides proof. That's the difference..

Captain Lexington

Seriously, what's the point of reading the Bible if you condemn organized religion, and God, and all that stuff? Why are you reading it?

Well, I can't speak for vict0r, but what I have read of the Bible I have read for academic interest. I read the Bible for the same reason I read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but that doesn't mean I believe that Vogons destroyed the Earth.

Meowster

You want me to give it to you straight? Why are people so quick to disprove God? I have never heard any of you disprove evolution, or humanism, or scientology, and whatever else there is that doesn't follow a god.

So what do you believe happens after you die, if heaven and hell are a state of mind? 

You've never heard ME disproving those things personally, but there are a lot of people who do. You're trying to disprove evolution right now in fact. So what's your point exactly, Steel Drummer? you're just as quick to attempt to disprove evolution as we are to attempt to disprove god... don't pretend you're not.

As for what happens after you die... it's so funny that you bring that up. That's something that very religious people always bring up when they've been forced to back down by logical arguments... they start to panic and want to know what happens when you die. Basically, that's what religion is all about isn't it... feeling better about death. The whole concept focuses on what happens after you die. It's all so pointless and meaningless.

religious people are so scared about dying, and it makes no sense... if they truly believe in god...

vict0r

Quote from: The Orator on Sat 28/04/2007 21:25:59

Well, I can't speak for vict0r, but what I have read of the Bible I have read for academic interest. I read the Bible for the same reason I read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but that doesn't mean I believe that Vogons destroyed the Earth.

Same here. I read the bible to understand more about it. I think it is an interresting read, but not more than Harry Potter or any other fictional book.
As for what happends after we die.. I think that we disappear. Just as that. I believe that the life we have is the only one we get. Someone would find this depressing, but I find it rather delightful as I know I have to make the best of what I have right now.

EDIT: Evolution can be prooved. Religion can't...

Babar

No, saying God doesn't exist isn't bashing. But what about calling God bullshit, silly, primative, can go to hell ;D ?

Perhaps "bashing" was the wrong word. If someone propounded the "Truth about God" to the extent that the opposite is occuring here, they'd be shot down in flames for pushing religion down peoples throats.

Hence, "religious" people must stay silent, or joke lightheartedly when someone attacks their religion, or fear the risk of being ostracised from the community a la Rharpe.

THIS TOPIC IS MOVING TOO FAST!

And BTW, Steel Drummer, I'm sure it's all very noble, what you are doing, but it's not really working here, see? I mean, you are not only attacking non-religiousness right now, but also attacking Evolution, Catholicism and Islam. You should dust your sandals and walk out (concerning religion) for now. No offense (and I really mean this), but learn a bit, and then come back (if you so wish).
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Becky

Quote"If evolution exists, then why aren't monkeys changing into people nowadays?"

Humans didn't evolve from monkeys, monkeys and humans share a common ancestor millions of years ago.  Get it right.

Damien

QuoteHence, "religious" people must stay silent, or joke lightheartedly when someone attacks their religion, or fear the risk of being ostracized from the community a la Rharpe.
Or they should just post with a dose of "IMO", not sending everyone who disagrees to hell.

Also, if you're going into a debate, you should be prepared to answer people's questions instead of ignoring them, and just choosing to answer the ones you can.

MrColossal

No one told Rharpe to leave. He wasn't banned. I also believe he more moved on to his own website than he felt he had to leave here but I might be wrong.

I'm not going to follow SteelDrummer around and post attacking him on other threads. If he asks for art crit and I feel I have something to say to help I'm not going to dig into him for being religious also.

Someone choosing to stay silent on their beliefs because they're afraid of being judged on them isn't something only the religious have to deal with. SteelDrummer probably thinks I'm an amoral jerk who has no basis in reality and would never seek me out as a person if he ever needed anything because of my atheism. He took a stand and let everyone know what he feels, so did I. I'm sure there are other people who read what I wrote and draw the conclusion that I have no idea what I'm talking about and now regard me as an idiot who is going to hell. If this community were slightly different maybe I'd feel ostracised and I'd feel like I had to leave.

Anyway, I agree that the thread is moving too fast. I think atheists want more than anything [sometimes] to talk about religion because it's looked at as something you just don't question of someone else "Oh never question someone's faith!" so when given the chance things tend to go a bit quick.

Like I said, I'm so much more interested in people's growth away from God than what steeldrummer believes but I feel that's a pointless redirection of this thread now.
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Steel Drummer

Quote from: Damien on Sat 28/04/2007 21:20:07
Quote from: Damien on Sat 28/04/2007 21:16:34
Take your time.
It is time.

If had been born in an Islamic territory, I'd probably be dead by now because of one of the following:
1. I'd have been chosen during childhood to suicide bomb somewhere.
2. I'd have seen the evils of Islam, spoken against them, and been killed.
3. I'd have been sent off to war at a young age, and been killed.

North America and Europe give so much freedom that we're able to argue back and forth about religion without the government threatening us. 

Quote from: Meowster on Sat 28/04/2007 21:17:54
Where are you from, steel drummer? I'm guessing some kind of middle american state...

I'm from Jamaica.

Quote from: Meowster
Long Paragraph about dying

But you never actually explained what you and your lugubriously atheistic colleagues believe about death. 

Quote from: Mr Flibble
How about this? Please read this if you're just skipping through this thread, because I think I have a good point. How many people in the world join a religion through their own initiative? I mean, if you took a group of people at birth and locked them in a cage, and told them to think about life, d you think they would be visited by god? Depending on how much you taught them about science, they might think the sun was a conscious entity. A god, if you will. How else could it move in the sky?

But people in Old Testament Bible times actually could have faith in God, and experience him personally. They didn't just listen to what they were told. Those were the people who tried to discover God, and learn about Him.   

Quote from: MrColossal
Don't tell me you're trying to prove the existance of god through Bob Marley?

And you're trying to disprove God through the notion that humans came from monkeys, and monkeys came from ooze laying around for 100 years. You know, that ooze could have been sperm from God masturbating... That could be how animals were created. No. Never mind. I'm not gonna go there.

Quote from: MrColossal
Also, you really have no idea how the science works, and that's ok. No one ever taught it to you probably. But if you have no desire to learn then you have no ability to speak on the subject so I'd stop.

"If I was educated, I'd be a damn fool."
-Bob Marley

Anyways, Meowster/Yufster, you wanted to know my point exactly?

I follow God, not evolution.
I believe that Jesus is the only man that is worthy to worship.
The majority of people in this forum hate god, religion and anything spiritual.
(although the statement 'Holy Spirit and Jesus can go to hell' is sort of an oxymoron if you don't believe in hell)

Everything I've written in this thread has been related to those three ideas.
I'm composing the music for this game:

Babar

Quote from: Damien on Sat 28/04/2007 21:44:19
Or they should just post with a dose of "IMO", not sending everyone who disagrees to hell.

Heheheheh...like someone who mentions that God is primative and silly? Where's the IMO there?
To someone who believes such, it's not IMO. It's truth. Anyhow, every post on these forums should be taken with a  dose of IMO. Automatically. Because that's all it is. Besides, if someone doesn't believe in the existence of hell, what does it matter if another person has judged them to be worthy of it?

BTW, I didn't say that Rharpe was banned. I just meant that he's been ostracised.....I mean: "He's being all Rharpey..Hahahahhahah!". If he posted anything in GenGen, it's unlikely he'd be taken seriously.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Gord10

Quote from: Steel Drummer on Sat 28/04/2007 21:50:39
If had been born in an Islamic territory, I'd probably be dead by now because of one of the following:
1. I'd have been chosen during childhood to suicide bomb somewhere.
2. I'd have seen the evils of Islam, spoken against them, and been killed.
3. I'd have been sent off to war at a young age, and been killed.

Oh, I forgot to say. I'm a dead person. So do the people in my own and other Muslim countries.

Edit: Yodaman111111, why don't you just admit you would be a Muslim with full faith if you had been born in an Islamic terriority?
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk