Ideal age/Now mostly about Religion and Religious Upbringing

Started by Helm, Mon 16/04/2007 21:47:35

Previous topic - Next topic

vict0r

QuoteIf had been born in an Islamic territory, I'd probably be dead by now because of one of the following:
1. I'd have been chosen during childhood to suicide bomb somewhere.
2. I'd have seen the evils of Islam, spoken against them, and been killed.
3. I'd have been sent off to war at a young age, and been

So you are actually saying that everyone who is Islamic is dead?

And once again you choose to ignore my post. Very annoying.

Captain Lexington

Quote from: Steel Drummer on Sat 28/04/2007 21:50:39
(although the statement 'Holy Spirit and Jesus can go to hell' is sort of an oxymoron if you don't believe in hell)

You don't seem to understand; he was using irony. It was a joke! It's like saying 'It's times like these I thank God I'm an Atheist."

Nikolas

Quote from: Steel Drummer on Sat 28/04/2007 21:50:39
I follow God, not evolution.
I believe that Jesus is the only man that is worthy to worship.
The majority of people in this forum hate god, religion and anything spiritual.
(although the statement 'Holy Spirit and Jesus can go to hell' is sort of an oxymoron if you don't believe in hell)

Everything I've written in this thread has been related to those three ideas.
Ok.

1. Fair enough, no problem here.
2. Fari enough no problem here either.
3. What? Huh? How? When?

Ok. You can choose to listen or not (it happens to everybody):

you are showing a great ammount of ignorance. Regarding almost eveyrthing you post. your opinion is your opinion and I have absolutely no problem with it, as all my posts show. But please stop bullshiting in every post you make in this thread. What is this about islam? I have friends from islam and are fantastic people! It's not about liberal mind or whatever (which you probably don't know wtf means really), but it's more about being fair and think for yourself!

Damien

That was a yes/no question, no need for prejudices.

Quote.like someone who mentions that God is primitive and silly?
And I said that...    where?

QuoteBut you never actually explained what you and your lugubriously atheistic colleagues believe about death.
The only thing we know about death are proven facts. The body shuts down, energy passes from one form to another.

QuoteGod through the notion that humans came from monkeys, and monkeys came from ooze laying around for 100 years.
QuoteHumans didn't evolve from monkeys, monkeys and humans share a common ancestor millions of years ago.  Get it right.

QuoteI believe that Jesus is the only man that is worthy to worship.
I believe no man is worthy to be worshiped. We're all the same.
QuoteThe majority of people in this forum hate god, religion and anything spiritual.
Majority? A majority of people from these forums aren't replying in this thread.

Quotealthough the statement 'Holy Spirit and Jesus can go to hell' is sort of an oxymoron if you don't believe in hell
It was quite clear that statement (and the one about magic) were not serious, but feel free to keep holding on to it if you need to.

Nacho

I was an angry anti-religious person, and thought that anyone believing in God was stupid...

It surprises me that adult and intelligent people believes in that, but I don' t think they are stupìd now... now I tend to think of them as "weak" or "naive". Not a big deal... I have a lot of intelligent friends who smoke, and that is also a show of weakness... I must have zillions of shows of weakness as well! Nobody is perfect...

Still, there is a pitty that some people need a pre-medieval tale to find an spirituality that can be found in sport, culture, art, philosophy or self-knowleadge... And a pitty that their children are blackmailed in this "action/reward" philosophy (Be good, and you' ll go to Heaven...) Believing in "God", for me, is simillar as believing in any other superstitions like Tarot, ghosts, UFOs or magicians... but my opinion about "religious" people have changed a lot.

I think that "Religion" is a tool, and as a tool, it can used propperly or not...

If believing that there is something "real" in the Gospels makes people to have spirituality, be humble, donate to the poor people, etc... so, be it! If that makes someone to kill an abortist doctor, or detonate a bomb-belt in Tel Aviv, well... I don' t think religion has much to see in those cases. There will be allways idiots, and they will allways find a cause to practise their idioticy.

So, unless they don' t try to convince me, or while they don' t use religion in a bad manner, I am ok.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

vict0r

Quote(and the one about magic)

Well... Yes and no :P I kinda phrased it badly. But no, I don't believe in magic. What I meant was that natural phenomenons might have been seen as such to the founders of the first kinds of religion.

Babar

Quote from: Damien on Sat 28/04/2007 22:03:42
And I said that...    where?

You misunderstand. I wasn't talking about you. I'm your friend. Or at least, I am not your enemy. You are random internet person #364.

About religious upbringings, both my parents are muslim by name (although my mother was baptised as a Roman Catholic. Maybe she is both?), but they didn't really practice. Up until I was about 15, I was pretty much the same. At the time, I got to thinking, what's the point of this facade if it's not really who I am? So I started looking at things, studying things, etc. Admittedly, I may not have been very thorough, if I found one thing wrong with some idealogy, I dismissed it. Anyhow...by the time I was 18-19, I came back to Islam, and started practicing it properly. And here I am!

I suppose it's not the story of moving away from religion that you wanted to hear, but there you have it!
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Steel Drummer

Quote from: vict0r on Sat 28/04/2007 21:53:54
QuoteIf had been born in an Islamic territory, I'd probably be dead by now because of one of the following:
1. I'd have been chosen during childhood to suicide bomb somewhere.
2. I'd have seen the evils of Islam, spoken against them, and been killed.
3. I'd have been sent off to war at a young age, and been

So you are actually saying that everyone who is Islamic is dead?

And once again you choose to ignore my post. Very annoying.

I'm not saying they're all dead, I'm saying that there's a good chance I'd be dead. And people in some Islamic countries are having children more often than in North America (some Islamic countries even allow polygamy). 

Quote from: Nikolas
1. Fair enough, no problem here.
2. Fari enough no problem here either.
3. What? Huh? How? When?
Okay, maybe not spiritual, but 8/10 posts I've read (in this thread) have held views condemning organized religion and God.

Quote from: Nikolas
you are showing a great ammount of ignorance. Regarding almost eveyrthing you post. your opinion is your opinion and I have absolutely no problem with it, as all my posts show. But please stop bullshiting in every post you make in this thread. What is this about islam? I have friends from islam and are fantastic people! It's not about liberal mind or whatever (which you probably don't know wtf means really), but it's more about being fair and think for yourself!
I don't have a liberal mind because I don't agree with the postmodern view of 'all religions are equal, and all gods can save you'.

Islam: Islam may have some good aspects in it, but I'm sorry, I just don't agree with killing those who won't convert to Islam (that's what the Koran teaches, believe it or not). I don't hate Islamic people; I'd treat any of them the same as a fellow Christian- but it's their religion I hate. Same with gays. I got the forums in an uproar a while back when I said I hated gays. I don't hate them I hate their lifestyle. There's a major difference there. Islam is a religion built around violence. Constantly being fed the idea that 'If people don't comply with your beliefs and what you tell them to do, rape them, murder them, bomb them, kill them. And above all, kill the Jews.' The main reason I hate Islam is because of their contempt for Jews. Even if some may not kill a Jew personally, they still don't mind when a Jew's life is taken.  EDIT: Ah, Gord10, so that's why your games feature so much blood... ;)

Why can't we all worship one God? If we can't worship the same, true God, then why can't we at least live at peace with one another?

I guess we can't, with Islam's views on other religions.

MrColossal: I don't hate you as a person; you'd probably be a perfectly normal and decent guy if I met you; but I strongly disagree with your views on God and Christianity. Just because I attack your beliefs, doesn't mean I'm attacking you specifically. 

QuoteHumans didn't evolve from monkeys, monkeys and humans share a common ancestor millions of years ago.  Get it right.

I don't care about 'getting it right', because I'll never believe that perverted theology anyways. The reason that so many of you believe in evolution is not because of your own free thought, it's because it was taught in schools. You say that I'm not thinking on my own, just because I was born in a Christian nation, but the same can be said of you and evolution.

Well... Yes and no Tongue I kinda phrased it badly. But no, I don't believe in magic. What I meant was that natural phenomenons might have been seen as such.

Maybe if you had worded it better, you and I wouldn't have had that argument.
I'm composing the music for this game:

Becky

I don't care about 'getting it right', because I'll never believe that perverted theology anyways. The reason that so many of you believe in evolution is not because of your own free thought, it's because it was taught in schools.

Okay, don't worry about "getting it right", but building strawmen out of evolutionary theory in order to make it easier for you to dismiss doesn't win you any points.

It's not theology anyway.  It's science.  Biology, specifically.  The acceptance of evolution and a belief in God can be mutually exclusive.

Pet Terry

Quote from: Steel Drummer on Sat 28/04/2007 22:19:53
The reason that so many of you believe in evolution is not because of your own free thought, it's because it was taught in schools.

We were taught religion in school. But I still don't believe in God (and I even got good grades in religion!).
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

vict0r

QuoteThen why can't we at least live at peace with one another?

Because of people like you. Just as that.

EDIT: Have you ever heard of the christian crusades, Steel Drummer?

LimpingFish

QuoteI don't care about 'getting it right', because I'll never believe that perverted theology anyways. The reason that so many of you believe in evolution is not because of your own free thought, it's because it was taught in schools.

In primary school we were taught creationism.

I still don't buy it.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Sylpher

Also, Steel Drummer, it is quite rude to completely throw evolution out the window and refuse to even research it, while expecting others to be understanding of your beliefs. If you refuse to research a topic properly, perhaps you shouldn't use it in your arguments. I'm sure you wouldn't appretiate someone saying Jesus taught with a knife and iron fist and when you corrected them they responded with how you responded about evolution.

Nacho

Well Vict0r, believing that Religions are the REAL cause of the "religious" wars, is an naive as believing in God...

Where you serious about it when you said that "Religious people are the cause of wars"?

Nikolas

S.D.:

About Islam: I am (officially) an orthodox crhistian and yet I find what you say extremely offensive!

Really, just stop talking abuot Islam. you are taking the 0.00001% of the islamic population and make judgement on that!

what if I told you that the Ko che guy (Viginia killings? 33 of them?) was a christian! How would you feel? What about the crusades and all the stuff that all religions have done over periods of time... You have been greatly misinformed and still try to pass your ill informed views as facts...

Sorry mate, but I just can't except what you say about Islam (or the teaching in scholols part but so many posts already, no need to even mention it furhter)

vict0r

@Nacho: I believe that power-hungry people hiding behind religion is the reason for alot of the "religious" wars. In some degree, this is how alot of religion works nowadays too. Using fear of a god to make soldiers/crusaders/missionaries.

So, yes. To some degree i believe that "religion" is a catalysator of wars.

Nacho

And don' t you think that these maquiavellic power-hungry people causing wars (who you do tell are hiding behind religion, I don' t really know...) would find another "place" to hide behind and another "cause" to make the idiotics masses to act? I honestly believe they would...

LimpingFish

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

voh

Quote from: Steel Drummer on Sat 28/04/2007 22:19:53
I don't care about 'getting it right', because I'll never believe that perverted theology anyways. The reason that so many of you believe in evolution is not because of your own free thought, it's because it was taught in schools. You say that I'm not thinking on my own, just because I was born in a Christian nation, but the same can be said of you and evolution.

OH MY GOD (HA HA HA irony)

This officially makes you more ignorant about evolution than I am about christianity. I've read the bible, I've read it all the way through multiple times. back when I was supposed to and later to refresh my memory so I could at least debate religion, while knowing what the bible actually says. I don't believe in God, and I don't think Jesus deserves more worship than the beer I'm currently drinking, but at least I *know* what I'm talking about. I researched and I learned and I read and I understand what the bible says.

The bible is basically a book of morals and principles, packaged with stories that place them in a certain context, so they are easier to pass through onto others who can't read and are generally easier to understand.

It's like a spelling bee, where you ask whether the word can be used in context. It's for understanding.

I do NOT hate God. If he exists, I'm sure he'd be an okay dude who I could enjoy a beer with, but as I don't *believe* in him, and therefore I would be paying for 2 which I'd both have to drink, and I'd look all sad and lonely sitting at the bar with two beers.

Regardless, you *should* research evolution. You don't have to believe it, as I don't have to believe in God, but if you want to show that you think evolution is wrong, at the very least know what you're talking about.

Because nobody's going to take you seriously on the topic of evolution, knowing that you know nothing about how it actually works.
Still here.

vict0r

Quote from: Nacho on Sat 28/04/2007 22:45:26
(who you do tell are hiding behind religion, I don' t really know...)

Well, this is mostly the crusades. Most modern wars is not religion-based.
Quote from: Nacho on Sat 28/04/2007 22:45:26
And don' t you think that these maquiavellic power-hungry people causing wars would find another "place" to hide behind and another "cause" to make the idiotics masses to act? I honestly believe they would...

Of course! Religion is opium for the crowds. I say religion, but anything can be used. Any cause or similar...

EDIT: Good post voh. I feel the same way!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk