What's the ideal adventure game you'd like to make?

Started by Dan_N, Thu 26/04/2007 06:54:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_N

What's the adventure game you've wanted to make for some time, yet never managed to finish it, or actually start it? What's the ideal game you'd like to make.

Mine would be Mech Gladiators, at the moment, an adventure/RPG/mech battle game, but work will resume on it after I finish Red Dwarf...

(GIP Thread: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=30052.0)

Now, what's yours?

(include a demo, or some screenshots if possible, and if you feel like it :) )

MrColossal

To shorten the list of ideal games I'd like to make let me add "What's the adventure game you've wanted to make for some time in AGS?"

And then to make my answer even shorter.. I think I might be working on it now. I started playing a few adventure games I've never played before [Star Trek 25th Anniversary being one of them along with the Trilby series] and thought... "I... I can do this.. I can do this better?" and slowly a story came to me. I wrote it all out in a few days and I'm very much in love with it. I've been working on it for a little bit and hopefully it'll be the best thing I've ever made.

I'd show screenshots but it turns out if I'm serious about a project I never tell anyone about it until it's done. So this may not be the best answer to your question but it helps kick the thread off, maybe?
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Dan_N

MrColossal

SHHH! Don't say it's name out loud! You may wake it!
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

fentongames

Some people here may remember when I first joined these forums, I was working on a parody of Harry Potter featuring guns and weapons. I was playing what I had of it last week and realised how poor and lazy the idea was. I was being really over ambitious too. The graphics were rather poor as well.

However, I want to return to this game, but Time Kid is more important at the moment (because it's further into production than any other of my game attempts). I think that the HP thread gained the most attention though, so I think I could return to the game and do something good with it someday.

Some old and bad screens (I'm 50 times better now (IMO)):
Time Kid, coming this summer.

Baron

I've wanted to finish My Ideal Game for about a year now.  It's been a long slog, but..... well, one day.

Steel Drummer

Quote from: fentongames on Thu 26/04/2007 20:47:18
Some people here may remember when I first joined these forums, I was working on a parody of Harry Potter featuring guns and weapons. I was playing what I had of it last week and realised how poor and lazy the idea was. I was being really over ambitious too. The graphics were rather poor as well.

However, I want to return to this game, but Time Kid is more important at the moment (because it's further into production than any other of my game attempts). I think that the HP thread gained the most attention though, so I think I could return to the game and do something good with it someday.

Some old and bad screens (I'm 50 times better now (IMO)):

Wasn't there another HP adventure game, bases on the first one? I hate Harry Potter, but I was just curious.
I'm composing the music for this game:

FrancoFranchi

I have a fairly detailed design document for 75% of my take on 'Leisure Suit Larry 8: Lust In Space'.

Unfortunately, the Larry games (even the early SCI ones) have the kind of art I could never replicate, so I'll never get the chance to work on it :(

Scummbuddy

With practice ANYONE can replicate the Leisure Suit Larry graphics. That's like saying you can't make Zak McKraken or Maniac Mansion backgrounds.

-----------

If I may deviate a tad, what would be the ideal game that I want to make?

I'd like to make a fairly accurate, possibly episodic, game based off of the anime Outlaw Star, including spaceship grappler fighting, the magic bullets, and the major storylines from the show. This is something that can't be done in AGS, but its something I'd like to do. I may investigate into XNA for it over the summer.

My ideal AGS games to make would probably be horrid LucasArts fan-sequels. Coming next year!
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

TheJBurger

Quote from: Scummbuddy on Fri 27/04/2007 03:22:56
I'd like to make a fairly accurate, possibly episodic, game based off of the anime Outlaw Star, including spaceship grappler fighting, the magic bullets, and the major storylines from the show. This is something that can't be done in AGS, but its something I'd like to do. I may investigate into XNA for it over the summer.

I've always had this idea in my head about a game that plays similarly to Cowboy Bebop. It would combine space exploration (like Freelancer), with role-playing/action elements (somewhere between KoTOR, Zelda, and Jedi Knight).

You would be able to explore space, upgrade your ship, search for bounties, do side-quests, buy weapons, go down onto the planet, add more characters to your party, solve puzzles, and all that.

I thought it would make an awesome game, but it would be so complex and a mix of alternate genres I don't know how it would work out.

Radiant

Quote from: Steel Drummer on Thu 26/04/2007 23:23:56
Wasn't there another HP adventure game, bases on the first one? I hate Harry Potter, but I was just curious.
No, but there was a Larry Lotter game called Warthogs. Click my sig.

My ideal game is also in my sig. Aside from that, I've wanted to do a Quest for Glory kind of game but that's something I'll likely never get around to.

Scavenger

I want to make a game based off of Patricia Wrede's "Dealing with Dragons". That would be awesome. It works out just like an adventure game, too. =) From creating the fireproofing spell to melting wizards, I think that game would be the most fun ever making.

Also, I wanna finish Until the Dawn, and Seeing through Blind Eyes. Those games were great to work on. =(

Andail

Eric, that sounds great. Having a project that you love like that is a bliss.

Also, the very short time I spent on making my concept game has given me inspiration for a new game. I intend to begin production in June, after my examination.

I've been meaning to make something like this for years, but lacked a spark, so to speak. Now I'm confident I will make it.

So far I can say that the game will be an exploration-based hybrid between a sim and adventure, and that it will feature a very dynamic and organic game-play. It will also be huge, so I will need a lot of help :)

JD

I'd really love to finish the first real game attempt I ever did. The Star Trek spoof. A while ago I started on my third attempt of starting over, and remaking it. But due to some real life issues I lost interest in making it.

But what I'd like to make even more than that, is an RPG I've been trying to make with AGS for a few years now. After starting over from scratch 5 times I finally have something which I can work with. The game currently has quite some features. Turn-based combat with 8 different types of spells, which can be upgraded. A fully working town, with an inn, magic shop, blacksmith and a church (you can turn in runes there, which drop from bosses in dungeons; they permanently increase certain stats). A 24-screen forest, where you can randomly encounter bears, snakes, wolves, rogues, mages. Each mob has a base attack, and a special ability. The bear for example has a charge, which stuns you for a few turns. There's 3 different weapons in game; each weapon has it's own graphics in the combat scenes. Same for armor.

I'd really love to finish this one, but I think I burned myself out a bit on it. I spent weeks devoting every free minute of my time on scripting. Scripting until my head hurt. All those numbers and formulas; just looking at the script now gives me a headache! But this one might actually evolve to a game. I have most of the basic stuff done. I just need a break from it I guess. I hope! Here's some screenies

charliechuck

looks good def, it looks like you've done too much work to waste. Keep plodding on it'll be worth it in the end.

The game i really want to make is Adventure Quest IV - Back to the Future, unfortunately I have to finish adventure quest 2 and start on 3 first, at the current rate ill start it in 2012.

CodeJunkie

Def that RPG looks fantastic, please keep going!

My ideal game would be one that gets finished.  Seriously though, I'd like to make a simple tile-based RPG with mech combat and take it from there.  Different parts of the mech can be upgraded after buying, researching or finding the technology.  Advanced mechs can spawn repair droids and anti-missile droids etc.

I'd also like to make a sidescrolling shoot-em-up (see avatar), but coding that from scratch (or even in AGS for that matter) is a little out of my reach.  Nevertheless, it's a fun thing to make graphics for.

JD

Domino

Quote from: def on Fri 27/04/2007 18:59:22
Quote from: SimB on Fri 27/04/2007 18:52:59
My ideal game would be one that gets finished.

That goes for me aswell :)

Me too.

I would at least like to start one. I don't know why i have never made one. I use to make adventure games in BASIC when i was in my early teens, but for some reason i haven't made squat with AGS. I sometimes wonder if i should even be using these forums also.

I was watching the movie The House of Wax the other night and thought that would make a great adventure game. Maybe i could try.

edit: I did make a background i was going to use in my first AGS game.....

MillsJROSS

I don't know that I have just one idea that I'd love to do, but I have always wanted to create a game that delves into science fiction. Regardless of what I make, I want to do something with humor in it.

-MillsJROSS

Dan_N

I'd like to take this opportunity to say that's def's RPG ideea is awesome, and that he should get back to work on it...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk