Odot Tamat On - Update 2013-08-09: Spanish translation available.

Started by zabnat, Wed 02/05/2007 14:37:13

Previous topic - Next topic

zabnat

Odot Tamat On

So here it is, my game for MAGS April. I plan to make some bugfixes before adding this to AGS database.
This is my first game, it's very short and not very polished.

Download
Download it from game's website at http://odottamaton.raah.fi/.
Download size is 63,6MB (quite large, sorry).
Page does not work with IE7 at the moment, so use of direct download link is encouraged.
Direct download as one piece (63,6MB).
And in pieces (5MB chunks) 001 002 003 004 005 006 007 008 009 010 011 012 013

Screens

More screens

Plot:
In this short game you play as a private eye who needs to save the world from evil. How very unexpected.
Townfolk are starting to act strange and the evil scientist is behind it again. Private eye Nalle Karhu has to step up and stop this madness.

Features

• 640x480x32 pseudo-cartoon graphics
  • Easy puzzles
  • Unexpected ending
  • Silly rhyming
  • Unique GUI, left click to walk, right click to look, drag characters hands to hotspots to interact, drag characters mouth to talk, drag inventory items to use them. Note that you can grab the mouth even if the character is facing the other direction. Just grab the lower part of his head.

Notes/Known bugs

• Some rooms can be heavy on the graphics side, so it might not always run smoothly on lower spec machines.
  • Sometimes game doesn't seem to respond to mouse clicks, just move the mouse a bit and try again.
  • Room exits does not always respond correctly, that is changing to exit cursor or responding to clicks. Same workaround as above.
  • Game can sometimes hang when interacting with the rollercoaster. No known workaround.
  • Sometimes game can crash when interacting with objects or using inventory items. This should be now fixed, but as I haven't been able to reproduce the crash myself, I can't be sure.

Update 2007-10-10: Source and paper available for download
So I'm graduating as a bachelor of engineering from EVTEK University of Applied Sciences and I just finished my Bachelor's Thesis. Topic for my thesis is development of graphic adventure games and I used this game as a part of it. Unfortunately it's written in finnish so many of you won't understand any of it, but I know there are quite a few finns here who might be interested and there is an abstract written in english. The thesis is available for download on game's webpage.
I'm also releasing the project files and source for the game incase somebody is interested. Please read release notes before downloading them. They are also available on game's webpage.

Update 2013-08-09: Spanish translation available!
I have been informed by forum member cireja that he has done a Spanish translation of my game. Translation is available at the bottom of this forum post (on a Spanish gaming forum).

Hope you enjoy.

EDIT: Seems that my webpage does not work correctly with IE7, so I added direct download link.
EDIT2: Added a note that you can grab the mouth even if the character is facing the other direction. Just grab the lower part of his head.
EDIT3: Hints & Tips thread here.
EDIT4: Updated info on source and thesis
EDIT5: Updated info on Spanish translation.

neuwb

awesome totally awesome
im downloading it now!!!

i cant wait to play it looks really good 4 thumbs up o nthe graphics
it looks like you put alot of time into this and it looks really good
reminisant of my favorite sam and max games, although i must admit it went downhill after the first game

Nikolas

AWESMOE!

honestly!

I played a bit, just a bit and further I did!
I went a played and then went away.

I cannot rhime but yet I try
Thus far the game I liked, so much that I cried I have!

I quite the bullshit now to go
only to play must I must obey!

I wish you luck with you MAGS all the way
And may you keep making games like this every day!

YAY!

zabnat

@Nikolas
;D

I must say that I am not a native english speaker, so the language is quite possibly something from bad to awful ;)
And I really had trouble with all the rhyming, at first I though it would be fun idea, but when about 20% of writing was finished I seriously considered to give up on that idea. But I'm glad I didn't.

ildu

Odottamatonta, eh? Looks great :D. Though, Nalle Karhu looks more like Kissa Mirri.

zabnat

Quote from: ildu on Wed 02/05/2007 17:04:34
Odottamatonta, eh? Looks great :D. Though, Nalle Karhu looks more like Kissa Mirri.

I was waiting for someone to bring out the issue of my peerless ability to come up with original names  ;D

And on the Nalle Karhu issue I'm sorry to say you are mistaken, don't you know that Mirri is pink ;)

ildu

Quote from: zabnat on Wed 02/05/2007 20:25:00And on the Nalle Karhu issue I'm sorry to say you are mistaken, don't you know that Mirri is pink ;)

Ooh, you dirty boy :D.

TassieDevil

Somehow your download page only list items 8-13

But specifying
http://odottamaton.raah.fi/odottamaton_beta.zip.001
...etc until 013 did work.

Maybe you should fix that :)

Modified! ??? it says header is corrupt for file one and unknown archive file for the rest.

zabnat

Quote from: TassieDevil on Wed 02/05/2007 22:39:08
Somehow your download page only list items 8-13
But specifying
http://odottamaton.raah.fi/odottamaton_beta.zip.001
...etc until 013 did work.
Maybe you should fix that :)
Modified! ??? it says header is corrupt for file one and unknown archive file for the rest.

Okay, as for the page, IE7 seems to render it all wrong. I only had Mozilla and IE6 handy when I made the page, so it works correctly with those. I don't really have much time to fix it, but I'll have a look at it someday. Sorry about that.

Grr.. these are the problems that I hate, the ones I cannot reproduce  >:(

So, what program do you use to unzip it and how do you do it?
Packets are created with 7zip version 4.32. I downloaded the files myself and unzipped them with 7zips shell extension "Extract here..." and it worked fine.
I used ultra-setting for compression, I rezipped them with "normal" and am uploaded the new files.
I don't have much experience with split archives, so I can only say that try the big archive and see if that works  :-\

m0ds

Looks great! Very eye catching :D Hopefully gonna play this sooon!

TassieDevil

Hi, I used ALZip v63

But the big one download worked just fine! Interesting way to get to the start menu! Looks promising good :)

LeChuck

I like this game, its interface design is original and fun, and the backgrounds good as well. It has a decent, polished feel to it. Rhyming is silly but not stupid in this case. It's actually one of the very few AGS games I want to finish all the way through!

Some annoyances though... first the bug where you walk as close to the edge of the image as you can, then click the exit cursor. You actually have to walk a few steps back and then click exit. I wonder why... ? 

Next problem is part of the interface. It's a bit annoying when having to make the bear turn towards the camera in order to find his mouth. Did you try making him face the player when finishing walking or animating? How was it? This problem became apparent especially after looking at the machinery inside the rollercoaster house, making him face away from the camera. I had to exit the house to make him face towards the camera so I could talk to the rat the first time I tried it. Later I found out I could left click on the rat to make the character turn.

I haven't finished it, but I'm working on that...
Spoiler
I've got the crowbar and the wrench... And I can't get any further.  : (
[close]
Any hints?

zabnat

Quote from: LeChuck on Thu 03/05/2007 13:47:19
I like this game, its interface design is original and fun, and the backgrounds good as well. It has a decent, polished feel to it. Rhyming is silly but not stupid in this case. It's actually one of the very few AGS games I want to finish all the way through!

Some annoyances though... first the bug where you walk as close to the edge of the image as you can, then click the exit cursor. You actually have to walk a few steps back and then click exit. I wonder why... ? 

This is most probably because the way I change cursors for exits and the script I have for non-blocking actions. I am not entirely sure why these happen, maybe my script just isn't good enough :)

Next problem is part of the interface. It's a bit annoying when having to make the bear turn towards the camera in order to find his mouth. Did you try making him face the player when finishing walking or animating? How was it? This problem became apparent especially after looking at the machinery inside the rollercoaster house, making him face away from the camera. I had to exit the house to make him face towards the camera so I could talk to the rat the first time I tried it. Later I found out I could left click on the rat to make the character turn.

Actually you can grab his mouth even if he's facing the other direction. Just click on the lower part of his head around where you think his mouth would be. The places where you can grab the mouth or hands are just offsets on the character.

I haven't finished it, but I'm working on that...
Spoiler
I've got the crowbar and the wrench... And I can't get any further.  : (
[close]
Any hints?
I've made a thread in Hints and Tips. See it here.

Jon

I was finally able to play this! :)

Great game, deserved to win MAGS.

Awesome graphics, professional level. Good sound, fun game play. Ending was strange, the Dr. Seuss like dialogue was novel. One criticism:
Spoiler
for me the turtle moved too fast and his text was impossible to read as it too was too fast.
[close]

zabnat

Quote from: Guest on Thu 03/05/2007 22:12:10
Awesome graphics, professional level. Good sound, fun game play. Ending was strange, the Dr. Seuss like dialogue was novel. One criticism:
Spoiler
for me the turtle moved too fast and his text was impossible to read as it too was too fast.
[close]
Well, the ending was supposed to be unexpected as the competition guidelines stated :)
Spoiler
I understand that can be a bit annoing, but it was still intentional. I wanted it to be overlyhyperactive, acted speech would have worked a lot better on this one. At first I had him just run around and never stop even for a moment, imagine trying to interact with him then ;)
[close]

marlamoe

I really enjoyed this game.  The graphics were fantastic, unbelievable in fact for being a Mags game.  I really hope to see more from you very soon.

TassieDevil

Quote from: marlamoe on Fri 04/05/2007 03:55:10
I really enjoyed this game.  The graphics were fantastic, unbelievable in fact for being a Mags game.  I really hope to see more from you very soon.
I second that! Very enjoyable and professionally done!
Thank you!

cobra79

Fantastic game. Very enjoyable.

paolo

The graphics are excellent. Well done!

Quick question though... how do you interact with objects? The left mouse button doesn't seem to do anything, and the right mouse button gives me the "look" icon. Is there a manual somewhere in the download? I couldn't see one.

Thanks.

PS: What does "Odot Tamat On" mean?
Spoiler
If it would give the game away to explain it, then please don't. I do note however that it is "Not a mat to do" backwards... is that coincidental? Or is it an anagram: "Not tomato ad"? "O, damn tattoo?" :)
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk