Sprite Jam (until May 10th): Two-faced God (EXTENDED TO May 11th)

Started by Khris, Wed 02/05/2007 19:02:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Khris

I really liked the previous Jam's topic, plus there are quite interesting discussions going on in gen-gen right now, so I want to see a two-faced god, usable as a character in an adventure game.

No harsh restrictions, but try to keep the size below 150x150 and preferably don't use more than 32 colors.

Interpret the topic as you see fit, depict whatever god you like; you could even do two sprites showing the good and evil side seperately.

(The sprites will be judged only on technique and originality, so don't hesitate from submitting an OT christian god with red eyes and fangs ;))

EDIT: It doesn't have to be a human, not even human-shaped. It could be a big eye, or a hand sticking out of a cloud; just use your imagination.

cobra79

Very nice topic and I hope I interpreted it correctly.
Meet Ares, the greek god of war and slaughter as he is seen by his fellow gods atop Mount Olympus and as mere mortals see him.

2x

27 colors

Edit:changed his arm and made background transparent

Khris

Very nice, although the sprite isn't usable as a character as it is now.
But never mind that now, I'm glad at least one entered this Jam so far...

Seems like this competition is going to die, too...
Or is it just a bad topic?

Steel Drummer

Bad topic. Sometimes there have been tons of entries. It all depends on the topic. Like with that last Tune Contest. The topic was very un-restricting, so lots of people entered.
I'm composing the music for this game:

cobra79

Yep, as it is it could not be used as a sprite, but since they are on 2 separate layers I would only have to model the 2nd guys legs.
Some theories concerning the few entries:
1) its only halftime, maybe we will see really good sprites later
2) everybody is busy creating their games  ;D
3) I liked this and the last topic, but humans are very difficult (at least for me), maybe its intimidating for some.

Khris

Hmm, to clarify this, it doesn't have to be a human, not even human-shaped. It could be a big eye, or a hand sticking out of a cloud; just use your imagination.
I probably should have stated this in the opening post...

gASK

Well, I am halfway thru drawing my idea (or ideas as I have two and can't decide which one to finish).

I believe the topic itself is not bad. Myself, I found it interesting, though I had to thing about it for a while before an idea poped. It is just quite restrictive and complicated. The more free it is, the more participants - just browse through previous jams and you will see yourself.

zabnat

Well, it's not easy to make up a good topic that is restrictive enough so it'll be easier to judge and still give enough freedom. As I feel that some restrictions make it easier to come up with a sprite than a lot's of freedom. This particular topic is pretty hard to come up with ideas, it's not easy to illustrate two faces of the same entity, at least if you want to draw a humanoid and don't want to end up with a sprite of Janus.

Oh bugger, now that I've opened my mouth I think I must participate :)
Be on the lookout of my entry here...

Andail

Quote from: Steel Drummer on Sat 05/05/2007 20:27:37
Bad topic. Sometimes there have been tons of entries. It all depends on the topic.

Who are you to pass judgement like that? Participation fluctuates on this board, and has been a bit low lately in most activities. There's absolutely nothing 'bad' with this topic, I think it's imaginative and inspirational.

Saberteeth

Andail, KhrisMUC asked if this was a bad topic and Steel Drummer just gave his opinion. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
I, for one don't think the topic is bad, it's just kind of hard to draw a 'two-faced' god, considering it needs to be usable as a character in a game.

EDIT: Entry:

It sucks I know. I think it's 32 cols.

QuoteHey Saberteeth, did you leave and then come back? I haven't seen you on here in ages...
Yeah I kinda got addicted to a certain MMORPG...but I'm back now! :)

Andail

To say "Bad topic." and to claim that participation only depends on the topic is not to voice an opinion, it's to pretend that you're stating a fact. Quite impolitely worded, at that.

It's not a fact that the low amount of contributions in this activity can be blamed on its topic; it's simply a matter of seasonal fluctuation. Activity is low at the moment, in all competitions.

If you find that the topic doesn't suit you personally, that you find it hard to pull off, that's one thing. Then just refrain from participating; pouring negative energy into the thread will hardly help it.

Now, let's not post here more unless you have a contribution; threads on this board should be kept on track as much as possible.

Steel Drummer

Quote from: Andail on Tue 08/05/2007 11:17:55
Quote from: Steel Drummer on Sat 05/05/2007 20:27:37
Bad topic. Sometimes there have been tons of entries. It all depends on the topic.

Who are you to pass judgement like that? Participation fluctuates on this board, and has been a bit low lately in most activities. There's absolutely nothing 'bad' with this topic, I think it's imaginative and inspirational.

By 'bad' I meant that it wasn't good at getting entries. The actual idea itself is interesting, but it's bad because it's pretty hard for people to come up with ideas.

Sometimes the topics that are 'imaginative' are very restrictive and entries are hard to do. The reason that the last tune contest had so many entries was because the topic allowed people to do almost whatever they wanted. 

Hey Saberteeth, did you leave and then come back? I haven't seen you on here in ages...

Now, let's not post here more unless you have a contribution; threads on this board should be kept on track as much as possible.
I'll try to enter sometime soon...

EDIT:

My entry:

Enter... The Buddha! (this is not to be taken seriously)

2X

Buddhists think that Buddha was a spiritually advanced man who was 'enlightened'.

But was he merely a tourist with really bad teeth who was smarter than the rest of them, and tricked them into believing him?

2X

Khris

Finally this is turning into an actual competition :)

Keep 'em coming! (There are still about 50 hours left.)

vertigoaddict

Okay.. this is my first time entering in an AGS compettition, this thing is wierd... I never intended to make it look cartoonish.

I think you can use this as a sprite, all you have to do to make it walk in front is animate the foot and maybe even the 'floppy' ears.

x2

what it is? the left side is a hybird of an owl and reptile/ snake; the other side is a dog, girraf and ladybug and maybe, just maybe, even a cow. The two heads are supported by a human foot wearing a sock.

EDIT: I was inspired by those totem gods, you know, the ones with animal heads carved on wood into a pole... totem poles. I wanted to be 'original' so I made it like this.

cobra79

Steel Drummer:
Sure, the sunglasses and teeth accentuate your idea but the body wasn't too bad either. Bring it back.

Steel Drummer

You think so? I actually deleted the sprites which included the body, so if I'm going to bring the body back, I'll have to do it all over again. Oh well, it'll probably be better this time...

Indie Boy

I thought I would give this a go. Instead of two faces what about 10? This is Ravana who is kinda a god with ten heads, well he is part of Hinduism and that. I just found him off of wikipedia so I'm not pretending to be an expert. You can only see 5 of his heads in this cos I wanted his heads to be positioned in a circle around his body rather than them all stuck together in a line. I'm sorry if this is an insult in anyway to anyone is Hindu, but as far as I understand this guy is a badie anyways.

28 colours I think. Just been trying out to make bigger sprites so thats why its a bit of an iffy sprite but it was fun to do  :)
I won't use this login.
Try IndieBoy instead

SpacePirateCaine

I hope that it's okay, I interpreted of the 'two-faced' theme more abstractly than some:

The goddess of fire embodies both beauty and fluidity of motion, while also being a force of destruction.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Khris

Yay, more entries! :D

I guess I should start painting some trophies... :=

EDIT: It's 10pm here now and I don't have the time to end this Jam right now.
Feel free to submit your sprite until tomorrow afternoon.

vict0r

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk