Infection 1 (FINISHED)

Started by WHAM, Thu 03/05/2007 09:41:43

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAM

The Infection - Part 1 - The ship

The Infection - Part one - The Ship
Finished - See Completed Game Announcements later this evening (7.4.2008)

IMAGES

Infection - episode 1 - The Ship, my first game, will be the first in a series of three games telling the story of Michael Owen, a spaceship mechanic working aboard the Pelican transport vessel. The first game has about 30 rooms to explore and the future episodes will have much, much more!

Features:

*/   Beneath a steel sky - like user interface

*/   Full voice acting (Over 600 lines of it)

*/   A peculiar storyline that will make sure you want to see the sequel

*/   Several easter eggs to find, which reveal things about... well... you'll see, eh?

*/   Great music, created by Tony -Ferrara- Caven

The first part, "The ship", is now NOT ready. To be released between 30.04 - 30.6

Checklist of things to be done below

[100%] Beef up the background graphics by adding lights, shades and details

[100%] Recreate the doors and basic layout of the ship and correct all past glitches in their operation

[100%] Recreate the elevators and correct all past glitches in their operation

[100%] Create hotspots and their functionalities

[100%] Create the game's events (Triggers and such)

[50%] Self-test the games function and correct visible errors

[IN PROGRESS] Have the game beta-tested by someone else

[70%] Create voice acting for the game and add the pre-created music (Music half-done)

[100%] Music

[99%] Add the intro

[25%] Add the outro

[ ] Release the game (final version)

EDIT: Fixed the post as requested, and added a bit more info.
EDIT2: Added notes to the game completion percentages, to explain what's going on. As it is, the game may be finished before july, or it can wind up all the way to christmas. Slow and steady people!
EDIT#cheese: added a link to website and to the demo
EDIT#pizza: Game back from the dead and going through a serious reworking!
EDIT# Who cares?: Rewrote the whole post, to better reflect the current state of the game
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Darth Mandarb

Please post another "in-game" screenshot.  Menu/Title screens do not count as the two required.  I'm not going to lock this yet, but please update it soon.

Thanks for the update!  I like the look/feel of the game.  While the story isn't overly original, it still looks like fun!

Fee

Looks interesting. Ill be giving it a shot :)

thewalrus

Good looking first attempt at an AGS game. Sounds like the kind of story I enjoy and with voice acting and everything, it seems like your really serious about making a high quality game. Good luck and carry on, mate!!!  ;)
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

WHAM

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Thu 03/05/2007 13:42:55Thanks for the update!  I like the look/feel of the game.  While the story isn't overly original, it still looks like fun!

The first part story might not seem highly original, but as I said: Its only a prologue for the later games. I have a whole and, in my high opinion, interesting story evolving in the background. There WILL be twists and turns later on in the game(s). Also: Whereas the first game only has about three characters, the later games will contain dozens of characters you can talk to, and interact with. (Although I have decided NOT to use a dialogue in a way that the player has a choise of what he says. I think its just no use, as the game only has one ending, and the player just ends up going through all conversation options anyway.)
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Maverick

I think it is pretty damn good for a first attempt at making a game. Looking forward to the final product.

LUniqueDan

Wow WHAM!

Maybe I got a crush for Space Marines / Colonial Marines / Starship Troopers or anything who wake up from an HS chamber, but this is looking marvelous.

Plz - Tell us more!

LUnique"M40 pulse Rifles Rocks"Dan
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

WHAM

Quote from: LUniqueDan on Fri 04/05/2007 15:34:12
Wow WHAM!

Maybe I got a crush for Space Marines / Colonial Marines / Starship Troopers or anything who wake up from an HS chamber, but this is looking marvelous.

Plz - Tell us more!

LUnique"M40 pulse Rifles Rocks"Dan

Hahaha! As you probably guessed, I got the idea for the games space travel methods from Alien moves's hypersleep pods. I'll probably be releasing a proper background story for the game soon, the same thet will be in the games README, as the background story will not be looked into during the game itself.

Im positively suprised that people are interested in the game. Thanks guys! You gave me a ton of new enthusiasm to work on this thing!

WHAM

Just wanted to bump this to tell people that the project is alive and kicking. Although some redrawing was just done for the intro sequence, and some more is still underway, the scripting part is now 100% working, and I only need to add the same scripts, and variations, to different rooms to make the game properly work.

The Infectiong games, my pet project at the moment, are also getting a website (little something simple, nothing massively new or never before seen here) in the near future (trying for July). Check http://www.kopteri.net/koti/tomi.kahkonen/ for details. This website will house info for all three Infection games in time, but will mostly be limited to Infection 1 in the beginning (as the others have not been made yet!).

The website will also house my contact information in the future, in case anyone wants a part in the creation of the game. More detailw will be posted on the website in due time, and of course: here!

Jon

I like the look of this game, similar to 7DAS.

Hudders

Looks really cool.

Can't wait to see how it plays out.

Quote from: WHAM on Fri 04/05/2007 08:26:37
I have decided NOT to use a dialogue in a way that the player has a choise of what he says.
Or you could give the player a choice, but have each dialogue option amount to the same thing:

1. "Blow it up!!!?"
2. "What do you mean you're going to blow up the supercomputer!?"
3. "I don't understand!"

WHAM

Quote from: Hudders on Thu 24/05/2007 11:24:38
Or you could give the player a choice, but have each dialogue option amount to the same thing:

1. "Blow it up!!!?"
3. "I don't understand!"

What's the point here? It just allows you to pick a different way of saying the same thing, and doesn't allow you to effect the game OR storyline at all anyway. If this was trying to have role playing elements I would add the player selectable dialogues, but as it is not, there's no point. I'll just create the characters and the dialogue will play itself out in a way I, as the writer, see best.

Hudders

Quote from: WHAM on Thu 24/05/2007 11:43:11
Quote from: Hudders on Thu 24/05/2007 11:24:38

1. "Blow it up!!!?"
3. "I don't understand!"

What's the point here? It just allows you to pick a different way of saying the same thing, and doesn't allow you to effect the game OR storyline at all anyway. If this was trying to have role playing elements I would add the player selectable dialogues, but as it is not, there's no point. I'll just create the characters and the dialogue will play itself out in a way I, as the writer, see best.
That's fair enough, it's your baby, I understand.

I just think some kind of interaction is essential for immersion into the character. I could see myself feeling a bit disconnected if I didn't have any part to play in how my avatar goes about his business.

WHAM

True, but you have control of the charactrers actions, although the game is forced to limit them, otherwise the players would just shoot everything... ^^

Again, the first part will mostly be a simple prologue and practice, and not a fully fletched game. That's up in the second part.

R4L

Sounds cool, like a game I used to play. (Overblood on the PSX).

Hope you finish the game!

LUniqueDan

Hudders : I got your point about immersion, but I should agree 100% with WHAM.

There's although lot of situations where dialogues kill immersions. (mostly on non parody game)

1) "Guys, we are in a big rush to avoid dying - how's your wife?
2) "We works together since 10 years - It's our vessel - I'm a mecanic, but can you repete me what I'm suppose to do with the reactor."
3) "I have a 300 rnd/min gattling minigun, but sure I'll do the 3 fairy tales task you wanted me to do before you let me in."

WHAM : Your game looks great - Can't wait for the first part. But take your time :
"Shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never ever cut a deal with a Xenomorph, mostly the orange ones"

Over and out.
Dan
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.

Hudders

Quote from: LUniqueDan on Fri 25/05/2007 00:22:35
Hudders : I got your point about immersion, but I should agree 100% with WHAM.

There's although lot of situations where dialogues kill immersions. (mostly on non parody game)

I think if you're going to have dialogue, you ought to provide the option to have a character repeat what they just said. Especially if it's mission critical. Also, if it's a long piece of dialogue, it's nice to break it up into manageable pieces and allow the user to quit out of the conversation at regular intervals.

You can get away with not having dialogue options by only having each character speak one line, which they speak every time you click on them: nothing more, nothing less. Otherwise you run the risk of boring and / or alienating your audience.

WHAM

I have my ways of getting past this problem. In my opinion the system I'm using works like a charm, although it doesnt get used muck in the first game as most conversation is scripted and cannot be skipped. I also keep the player's goals very clear at all times, so they dont have to go back and get the NPC:s to repeat what they just said.

LUniqueDan

Hudders :
QuoteI think if you're going to have dialogue, you ought to provide the option to have a character repeat what they just said.

Yeah your right! (English is not my mother tongue...so  you're right x2 - how many times I restored a save game only to got the point on a too fast monologue).

For the other point : I think it depends on how WHAM will deal it. Some games a have agenda for that purpose.

I think I just was on my 'No-Talk-to-button-day' (  :-X )
Cheerz

EDIT : I downloaded the 'tech demo' hidden somewhere in the Forum... only the door opening alone rushes me to play that game...

WHAM

Hahaha! At first I thought that the doors opening by just walking closer to them worked easily and were great, BUT...

They have proven to be a pain in the ass scripting wise. The main problem with them being the fact that if you are near a door and use an object far away from the door, your character walks away and the door doesn't close. This causes a nasty glitch in door animations, which I am working on to repair. The doors went from few lines of script to dozens of lines in a few days of testing... sheesh...

But then again, I like them so much that I wont give them up. Not now and not in the future sequels. (I keep blabbering about the sequels alot, but that just to ensure myself that I WILL make a next part and not waste all the planning effort I've had just to have some nice stuff in the first part that will not open up to the player before the second. Continuity is pretty important to me here.)

To test out the scripts and such I will probably be looking for playtesters to try out a mute version some time this summer. Voicework will be added as a finishing touch and then...

ALSO: Whoops... I'd forgotten that bit of work was still out there! And I was supposed to be so secretive about it now that it was properly underway! ^^ Oh well, might as well put it up here:

DEMO REMOVED - GOING THROUGH A REMAKE

This contains a highly incomplete and buggy version of the game, without any real stortyline scripts and such. Its just the raw basic version I made to start with. Perhaps this will give people a better image of what the game is like in motion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk