Sprite Jam (Until May 31): Elementals

Started by MoodyBlues, Wed 23/05/2007 21:47:59

Previous topic - Next topic

MoodyBlues

Okay, boys and girls, here's your sprite assignment for this week:

Elementals
Create a sprite of a character who embodies an philosophical element.  For our purposes, an element is defined as a primordial force of nature.  These are not limited to earth, wind, fire, and water of the Greek system; they could include other forces like wood or metal.  Be creative!

Rules
1)  Keep the size smaller than 150x150 pixels.
2)  Don't use more than 32 colors.
3)  Entries will be judged on creativity, technique, and how well they embody their respective elements.

I'm giving awards for this one, so hop to!  :)
Atapi - A Fantasy Adventure
Now available!: http://www.afwcon.org/

Hudders

Hi there! Long time listener, first time caller...  ;)

It's the element of surprise!! He hangs around in cupboards and leaps out at you at inappropriate moments. He has dogged man since the dawn of time - since the first caveman was startled by the first carelessly placed open manhole.

He has a horn. For honking.

15 colours, 66x150 pixels.

HONK!!

Lewton

This is muddy, the golem of mud (it also looks like a golem of sh**)

Lad

Cool topic, I will take part of this one!

(The sprite is almost ready, but it's midnight
here and I have to go to school tomorrow, so I will
hopefully upload mine tomorrow when it is 100% ready)

Nice entries so far!  :)

cobra79

Due to my lack of imagination I came up with...Electroboy...

88x106, 24 colors

Lad

OK my element is ready.

I present you!!!  The Element Of Fun In Death !!!!!!!

It is 130x130 and 18 colors including background.

Bohnito

This is mashman with the element of potato mash
(ok, he's made of muddy dirt, but don't say it to him)

149x57 (x2), 20colors

EdLoen

Breeze Elemental; 8 colors including white.

x4

MoodyBlues

Dang, you guys are awesome.   ;D  I love the entries so far!

Just for fun, here's what mine would be:

This is the Goddess of Wood as she appeared shortly after the creation of First Mortal and her elemental family's breakup.  She believed that this creature and its descendants would bring ruin to the world and destroy her eternally good works.  It is now her mission to destroy all sentient life on the planet through disease and famine.

18 colors (including transparency) and a crapload of hours.  And I'm still not sure about those legs; they're supposed to be like tree trunks.  I had hoped they would have made her a little more creepy and less delicate, but... yeah.

Keep drawing, guys!  There are two days left!

GreenBoy

Ok heres a last minute entry.

Its not as good as it could be because I resized it.   And I really dont have any more time.

Anyways untidy as it is there she blows.

vertigoaddict

Can I ask just for a little bit more time? just a couple of days? (1-2) Pleeeeeezeeee! (sp) T_T

SpacePirateCaine

I just realized that today was the cutoff date, so I threw together an entry.

Nightmare Elemental
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Babar

The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

vertigoaddict

Because of lack of time and imagination...tada!

The element of Cosmos

MoodyBlues

Okay, the competition is officially closed!

The entires were all fantastic and very imaginative.  This was a very difficult competition to judge, so I decided to give everyone an award - you all deserve it.

Behold the mystic elemental scrolls of Japan!  (Sorry, I couldn't get the transparencies to work.)

1ST PLACE:  HEAVEN SCROLL

SpacePirateCaine:  Dang, this guy is scary.  Not only does smoke rise from him, but he drips black stuff wherever he crawls.  His body isn't very detailed, but it doesn't have to be; he represents darkness in a way, so simplicity is most effective at making him terrifying.  He'd make a great game villain or at least a nifty minion.

2ND PLACE:  AIR SCROLL

EdLoen:  Your breeze elemental is very cute!  She has the perfect attitude for her element - playful, fluid, and a bit sensual.  You seem to have taken a lot attention to details like her curls and her eye.  Her pose is a bit difficult to figure out, but that's not so bad for an air elemental.

3RD PLACE:  FIRE SCROLL

Hudders: Please, please tell me that you plan on using this guy in a game at some point.  His horn, hat, shirt, and expression are perfect for the element he embodies.  The only thing he needs is a little more shading.

4TH PLACE:  WATER SCROLL

Green Boy:  His pose and anatomy are near perfect.  Did he start off as a sketch?  The thick, black outlines give him a neat comic book look.  However, I think his colors could be much more bold - he is a fire elemental, after all.

5TH PLACE:  EARTH SCROLL

(In the order of posting)

Lewton:  I like how this guy drips all over the place - even from his mouth.  He could be a bit more goopy, though; adding highlights and making him asymmetrical could help.  (This guy could make a great RPG enemy, by the way.)

cobra79:  Electroboy's overall pose is good; the way he's holding that ball of electric energy is very cool.  With more shading and a revision of his knees and legs, he'd look great.  (I'm not very good at complicated poses, so I can't make many suggestions there.)

Lad:  Fun in Death is probably the most unusual element in this competition.  Connecting the different parts of his body with electricity (or whatever that blue stuff is) is a very good concept.  It's a bit hard to tell that he's actually juggling; maybe you could put his hands closer together.

Bohnito:  Mashman!  :D  I love the cartoony style and expression on this guy.  He looks a bit dismayed, like someone just insinuated that he isn't really made of mashed potatoes.

vertigoaddict:  The colors and overall shape of this character definately fit his element.  However, since he represents cosmos, you could probably add a lot more detail.  You might refer to photographs of galaxies for inspiration.

SpacePirateCaine

Thanks, MoodyBlues, I did my best - I'll be honest, I was planning on making him a shadow elemental, but as soon as I started with the wispy curls of smoke and so on, I figured I'd taken it too far, and he needed to be renamed. Glad you liked him. It was a fun, and tight competition, to be sure. I've got to take a page from your book, and give people a sprite competition they'll be able to run with.

On a linguistic note - considering the subject material of the character, I would've assumed you'd have interpreted the element, 空(Kuu) as 'Void', instead of heaven.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Buckethead

Caine is the winner but I haven't seen his entry. It won't show up  :( maybe it's your host.  ???

Hudders

Yay, third place.

Not bad for my very first sprite.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk