MAGS June: The Birds

Started by Klaus, Sat 02/06/2007 21:36:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month's guidelines are set by joelphilippage, winner of the last month's competition.

Topic: The Birds

From time to time we have a ruleset based on animals. Now this also goes for this contest. The storyline is completely up to you but

- the main character must be a bird of some sort
- the movie "The Birds" by Alfred Hitchcock must be an inventory item (may it be on a video tape, a film reel, a poster, ...)
- there must also be a plane involved somewhere

That's all - no further restrictions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All games need to be in by June 26th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

zabnat

Quote from: Klaus on Sat 02/06/2007 21:36:52
This month's guidelines are set by zabnat, winner of the last month's competition.
I won without participating? Nice ;D

Or maybe someone forgot to proof read their cut'n'pasted text  ;)

Gilbert

Klaus

Quote from: zabnat on Sat 02/06/2007 21:53:48
Or maybe someone forgot to proof read their cut'n'pasted text  ;)
Oh yes, sorry. Actually someone made exactly this mistake. Sorry.
A nice member of this forums already sent me a PM about this typo right after I posted that entry but now I was too late to correct it. Sorry again for me being so absent-minded...  :-[

Akatosh

Bird in the literal sense of the word as 'being a member of the "bird" species'? Or would, say, a "Bird of Prey" work, too? Or, uh, "Admiral E. Byrd" or something?

Phemar

Klaus

Quote from: Akatosh on Tue 05/06/2007 12:29:41
Bird in the literal sense of the word as 'being a member of the "bird" species'? Or would, say, a "Bird of Prey" work, too? Or, uh, "Admiral E. Byrd" or something?
Quote from: Zor on Wed 06/06/2007 19:55:41
Or a bird as in a woman?

Slang definitions and/or individual names should not be used - please go for "standard" birds:
Any of various warm-blooded, egg-laying, feathered vertebrates of the class Aves, having forelimbs modified to form wings. (answers.com)

Buckethead

How must the plane be involved in th game?

Must it have a meaning in the story ot can it also be just flying around in the backdrop?  :)

Klaus

Quote from: Mr. Buckéthead on Sun 17/06/2007 15:00:25
How must the plane be involved in th game?
Must it have a meaning in the story ot can it also be just flying around in the backdrop?  :)
It's up to you. So a backdrop solution would be okay. The better way of course is to include it in the storyline or in a riddle, but that's not necessary to fit the rules.

deadsuperhero

Wow, I think I'm actually going to enter this time!
I've got a rather silly concept cooked up, hopefully I'll actually finish by the end of June.  :=
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

OneDollar

Ack, I've got about two thirds of the way through my entry, but now I've started a part-time job. Now 'Jim The Pigeon' will never fly... :(

Klaus

Quote from: OneDollar on Mon 25/06/2007 14:02:23
Ack, I've got about two thirds of the way through my entry, but now I've started a part-time job. Now 'Jim The Pigeon' will never fly... :(
Well, just take your time and Jim will fly... It not today or tomorrow then maybe in a month or two.

For all others that want to join the contest please submit your entries within the next 24 hours (see timestamp of this post).

Buckethead

Ok I'm a few min late... Hope you don't mind.

here's my game:

Happy ducky Adventure

http://rapidshare.com/files/39435172/HDA.zip.html

Enjoy!

Klaus

Great to see the first entry rushing in!

Quote from: Mr. Buckéthead on Tue 26/06/2007 13:19:52Ok I'm a few min late...

Actually there is still some time left for submissions: about 7 1/2 hours at the moment ;) (see timestamp of this post).

Jon

Very enjoyable game Mr. Buckéthead, although plenty of bugs found ;)

Unfortunatly I too have run out of time to show my game, good luck to everyone else though!

Buckethead

Quote from: Klaus on Tue 26/06/2007 13:29:31
Great to see the first entry rushing in!

Quote from: Mr. Buckéthead on Tue 26/06/2007 13:19:52Ok I'm a few min late...

Actually there is still some time left for submissions: about 7 1/2 hours at the moment ;) (see timestamp of this post).

What you cant be serious?  :o I worked my ass off to get it done in time and now you tell I actually have 7 more hours left...

oh well.. Now I have time for some bug fixing.  :)

Klaus

Quote from: Mr. Buckéthead on Tue 26/06/2007 13:34:09
What you cant be serious?  :o I worked my ass off to get it done in time and now you tell I actually have 7 more hours left...
Well, I am really sorry for your body parts but just check the timestamps of the posts... Nothing changed since the announcement yesterday... I refer to the timestamp as it goes along with each user's timezone (if the offset is set correct in the profile).

Gamer_V

Of birds and bees

Well, I probably used the wrong preposition, but here is my Mags entry anyway. Featuring multiple endings (sort-of, fallout would be a better example of how they are). Don't stress about the timer, it just leads to a crappier ending. Short and simple, but do replay it or I'll cry.

Klaus

Okay - it's time for voting now. Two entries - here we go:

For voting please visit the MAGS site or make your choice right here:

Of birds and bees by Gamer_V
Happy Ducky Adventure by Mr. Buckéthead

Please vote only once and be sure to have played all games before sending your voice! Good luck to all participants.

Hudders

Happy Duck Adventure. Definitely.

It rocks and so does the theme tune!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk