AGS 3.0 Final - it's been a long road

Started by Pumaman, Sun 10/06/2007 18:24:35

Previous topic - Next topic

khnum

So, i just opened my game in AGS 2.8, everything was fine, but it seems the script name of the characters there isn't anymore (there's just the script-o-name), so i had to insert the "Real name" of the character in the script instead of the old script name, in order to make it run. But when i tried to test it, i had some problem: i have a character, and when you click it the game changes player and room; in 2.72 everything worked fine, but now the game freezes when i click on the character. (while for the other characters i had to insert the "real name" in upper case, for the one giving me the problem AGS accepted it only in lower case, could this be the problem?)

EDIT:
I just noticed that what i inserted in upper case wasn't the character real name (which is the same but in lower case), but the view name; so i'm trying to use the character name and see if it works. Anyway i'd like to know where are the old script names  ;)

EDIT n° 2:
Ok, i upgraded the whole script using the Script O Name, now everything works fine :D

lemmy101

Hi Chris! Nice work on the beta!

One question: How's the plugin support looking on 2.8? I imported TFE and tried to add a plugin but found no menu option, and clicking/right clicking the "Plugins" tree item did nothing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Also nice work on making the AGSGame file XML! :D (Assuming it wasn't already XML and I just didn't notice) Will allow us to be crafty with views etc and our AGX plug-in. One thing though, would it be possible to add the filenames of imported sprites into the Sprites xml tags? This would give us uberpowers! :D

Again great work! Love the new UI and src control friendly script files! :)

lemmy

Chris

Pumaman

QuoteThe most templates I can still see is 5, but then again, most of them pre-date 2.72 (can there not be made a concession here? Practically *all* templates predate 2.72).

This is something we'll need to consider further. I'm hoping to include some of the more popular ones in the AGS distribution if the template authors agree to it, so it'd be interesting to get feedback on what should be included. I guess standard Lucasarts and verb-coin style templates would be a good start.

QuoteWell, if there is no longer any hard coded limits (crosses fingers) it really doesn't need to be added back. However, if there are some limits, and you have a large game, it would be nice to see how close you are to those limits.

In addition (not sure how easy this would be) could you add something at the end that gives you your current compiled exe file size, you give out all sorts of other information. And instead of having to use explorer to go through your file system to your compiled folder, you can just check in the stats.

Ah yeah of course, it would be useful to easily compare your game against the system limits. Fair point.

QuoteSo, i just opened my game in AGS 2.8, everything was fine, but it seems the script name of the characters there isn't anymore (there's just the script-o-name)

Hmm, these should work ... has anyone else had problems?
(The script name is not displayed anywhere in the editor since I'm trying to nudge people towards the script-o-names, but they should still compile successfully).

QuoteOne question: How's the plugin support looking on 2.8? I imported TFE and tried to add a plugin but found no menu option, and clicking/right clicking the "Plugins" tree item did nothing.

Adding plugins works the same as in 2.72 -- copy the plugin into the AGS Editor folder and restart the editor, and it should automatically appear in the list.

QuoteOne thing though, would it be possible to add the filenames of imported sprites into the Sprites xml tags?

This is already the subject of a separate feature request to remember the source of sprites, and is something I'd like to do. No promises on how soon, though.

QuoteAgain great work! Love the new UI and src control friendly script files!

Glad you like it! Feedback on the AGS source control integration would be appreciated, because I presume that only a relatively small proportion of the AGS user base will have a source control system installed.

Shade

i wanted to test ags 2.8 but i can't even start it.
i extracted all the files over the ags 2.72 files. now when i double click on the .exe file i get the standard windows error message. "AGS Editor for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close".

i am using windows xp service pack 1. is it possible that ags 2.8 needs service pack 2? or did i forget something?

LimpingFish

@Jack "Shade" Sparrow: Do you have the .NET Framework 2.0 installed?
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Dusk

Quote from: Pumaman on Wed 13/06/2007 19:29:44
Feedback on the AGS source control integration would be appreciated, because I presume that only a relatively small proportion of the AGS user base will have a source control system installed.

Hi CJ, just installed the beta! Great stuff! :)
I'd love to test the source control system integration, I'm sure it will improve dramatically our team distributed-collaborative-work.
Before starting, there's something I should know about it or some docs I missed? Some AGS-side setup to do?
Or I can just put the game data directory in a SVN repository and... go?

I feel as I missed something/somewhere...  ???

Thanks  :D
D.

Shade

@ LimpingFish: well actually it is installed. hoever i deleted it and installed it again and now it works. :) thanks for your help!

and well good job with ags 2.8!

Pumaman

Quote from: Jack "Shade" Sparrow on Wed 13/06/2007 20:20:49
i wanted to test ags 2.8 but i can't even start it.
i extracted all the files over the ags 2.72 files. now when i double click on the .exe file i get the standard windows error message. "AGS Editor for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close".

I wouldn't recommend installing 2.8 over 2.72. Try unzipping it to a brand new, empty folder and see if you have more luck.

Do you even see the splash screen or does it not get that far?

QuoteBefore starting, there's something I should know about it or some docs I missed? Some AGS-side setup to do?
Or I can just put the game data directory in a SVN repository and... go?

If you have a source control system that supports MSCCI (the standard visual studio integration system) installed, then there will be an "Add to source control" option on the File menu in the 2.8 editor.

Dusk

Quote from: Pumaman on Wed 13/06/2007 22:45:05
If you have a source control system that supports MSCCI (the standard visual studio integration system) installed, then there will be an "Add to source control" option on the File menu in the 2.8 editor.

Oh, ok. I'll Google about that... I never used the visual studio integration system, just CVS/SVN sometimes.
Someone has a specific software system to suggest? Something free and with a Linux server component available would be the best for us...  ;)

SSH

A quick google shows that AnkhSVN and TortoiseSVN might be worthwhile windows subversion clients to try

Dusk

Quote from: SSH on Thu 14/06/2007 08:28:28
A quick google shows that AnkhSVN and TortoiseSVN might be worthwhile windows subversion clients to try

I already had TortoiseSVN installed on windows but I didn't see source-control stuff in the AGS File Menu. Maybe it was because I had no repository previously configured in Tortoise?
I tought that it wasn't compatible with the microsoft visual studio standard CJ mentions... but I'd be happy to be wrong about it!

By the way, I looked at the Perforce website and maybe the free version (two clients) is enough for us... and has a linux server component too.

By the way, hints from anyone else trying the AGS source-control system with free tools are appreciated :)

Kweepa

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 12/06/2007 19:34:12
QuoteIf I quit the editor from the "Welcome To AGS!" dialog, it stays in memory using 100% of the CPU core. I ran it four times (to see the different splash tag lines) and my quad-core machine slowed to a crawl.

This works fine for me, what version of windows are you running?

XP Pro SP2
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

monkey0506

Ahh...so it's finally time to start seeing:

Quote-------------------------------------
System Error:
-------------------------------------

The system has experienced a serious error and cannot continue.

Error: User running deprecated operating system: Windows XP.

Solution: Upgrade to Windows Vista. NOW.

Sincerely, Bill Gates.

------------------
      OK
------------------

I was wondering when those updates would download. :P

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Pumaman on Wed 13/06/2007 19:29:44I'm hoping to include some of the more popular ones in the AGS distribution if the template authors agree to it

This is a major news. I think it's a very very very good idea.

Pumaman

Ok, as I probably won't get time to work on AGS for a while, I thought it was about time I uploaded the latest build.

I've updated the first post with what's new and what still needs to be done.

Also, before you upgrade, could you guys please test that the "Check For updates" tells you about the new beta.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

TerranRich

I gotta say, it seems I've returned to AGS just in time. I can't wait to use Version 2.8 once it's ready for official release. ;D

Ghost

Chris, thank you for adding the 800x600 support. I really apprechiate that!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Yay, a built in updater.  Now that will be useful!  :-*

ciborium

I imported some 32-bit alpha'd sprites.  They all look like the've been downgraded to 256 color in the editor. (I haven't tested them in-game yet.)  Is that normal, or is there an import problem?  I also noticed that I couldn't crop the alpha'd sprites like I can in 2.72. 

I couldn't find the option to import a walkable area, etc. mask.  The button was unmissable in 2.72 but seems to be missing in 2.8. 

Finally, do you think we'll ever see 1024x768 support in AGS?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk