AGS 3.0 Final - it's been a long road

Started by Pumaman, Sun 10/06/2007 18:24:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Reaper

I tried the beta version with my adventure and the conversion worked almost fine.

I had 2 issues so far.

- sometimes charakter[Charaktername].dosomething was not converted to cCaraktername. When compiled i got an error for this. I could corrrect this by hand.

- goto-dialog dDialogname was not working. I had to use the index e.g. goto-dialog 3

Imhotep

I have tried around but the error is the same: in room-editor the backgrounds looks fine but in-game they are color-inverted and not in right resolution. with the sprites there isn't this problem.

joelphilippage

I have tried running my game and the cursor and Character's move very jerky and slow.

[Edit]
Whoops. I guess It's just my computer because I played bog's adventure in the underworld and it was jerky to.

SSH

Sounds like the dual-core problem

lemmy101

Hello, sorry if this has been asked already, but is it possible in this build to import a mask for the walkable areas.

Thanks!

lemmy

Pumaman

QuoteI imported some 32-bit alpha'd sprites.  They all look like the've been downgraded to 256 color in the editor. (I haven't tested them in-game yet.)  Is that normal, or is there an import problem?

What colour depth is your game set to? Does the properties window for the sprite say that it's 32-bit with alpha channel?

QuoteI also noticed that I couldn't crop the alpha'd sprites like I can in 2.72.

This works fine for me. However, note that the default transparency option when importing is "palette index 0", so the transparent areas may not have been registered. I'll change that to "top-left pixel" for the next beta because it's confusing.

QuoteI couldn't find the option to import a walkable area, etc. mask.  The button was unmissable in 2.72 but seems to be missing in 2.8. 
QuoteHello, sorry if this has been asked already, but is it possible in this build to import a mask for the walkable areas.

Fair point, I'll need to add that back.

QuoteFinally, do you think we'll ever see 1024x768 support in AGS?

It would be technically easy enough to add, but at the moment the engine isn't really performant enough to run games at that resolution. It's something I'll look at for a future version, though.

Quote- sometimes charakter[Charaktername].dosomething was not converted to cCaraktername. When compiled i got an error for this. I could corrrect this by hand.

Hmm this should work, could you give an example of where it failed?

Quote- goto-dialog dDialogname was not working. I had to use the index e.g. goto-dialog 3

Well spotted thanks, this is a bug and I'll get it fixed.

QuoteI have tried around but the error is the same: in room-editor the backgrounds looks fine but in-game they are color-inverted and not in right resolution. with the sprites there isn't this problem.

Thanks for spotting this, I've managed to replicate it and will fix it for the next beta.

monkey0506

I keep getting an error when trying to work with custom structs. It's a recent development, but it seems that any time I try to declare an instance of a struct and then use it within the same script I get a null-pointer reference. Also importing/exporting it doesn't seem to be working either, giving me an unresolved import error. Presumably my computer's just screwing with me again...but if you'd like I can upload a sample script/game.

Reaper

- sometimes charakter[Charaktername].dosomething was not converted to cCaraktername. When compiled i got an error for this. I could corrrect this by hand.
Hmm this should work, could you give an example of where it failed?

(Mostly) all charakters except the player:
charakter.doSomething

For only one charakter i get an error:
Code: ags

function room_a() {
if (character[ETHERIALNPC].Moving != 1) {
  character[ETHERIALNPC].Walk(90, 150);
  character[ETHERIALNPC].AddWaypoint(100, 180);
  character[ETHERIALNPC].AddWaypoint(70, 220);
  character[ETHERIALNPC].AddWaypoint(250, 200);
  character[ETHERIALNPC].AddWaypoint(140, 180);
}  
}

ETHERIALNPC is the scriptname

For the the player charakter i get:

cEgo, character[0] or player depending on the function
cEgo with Walk
character[0] with FaceLocation
player with inventory functions or ChangeRoom
(all this functions were inserted through the interaction editor)

when give score at first time is used
*** TODO: Should only do this on first execution
is added, but it there is no comment(//) before this, so you get an error when compiling

One Question: Where is the setting for max possible score in 2.8? I can't find it in General Settings and @TOTALSCORE@ is 0 in the game

Pumaman

QuoteI keep getting an error when trying to work with custom structs. It's a recent development, but it seems that any time I try to declare an instance of a struct and then use it within the same script I get a null-pointer reference. Also importing/exporting it doesn't seem to be working either, giving me an unresolved import error. Presumably my computer's just screwing with me again...but if you'd like I can upload a sample script/game.

Strange, an example would be useful.

QuoteFor only one charakter i get an error:

What is the exact error message?

when give score at first time is used
*** TODO: Should only do this on first execution
is added, but it there is no comment(//) before this, so you get an error when compiling

This is deliberate, to force you to fix the script rather than wondering why your game doesn't work.

QuoteOne Question: Where is the setting for max possible score in 2.8? I can't find it in General Settings and @TOTALSCORE@ is 0 in the game

Well, I removed this because it seemed a bit too specific an option, and all that it did was set the @TOTALSCORE@ value. It can be easily simulated with your own variable, but if people find it useful I could add it back?

Reaper

What is the exact error message?

undefined symbol 'ETHERIALNPC'

(for all lines with ETHERIALNPC)

It can be easily simulated with your own variable, but if people find it useful I could add it back?

I like to have it back.

Pumaman

Hmm, was the character's name "cEtherialNpc"? I can't seem to replicate this problem.

Pumaman

Ok, beta 3 is now up. See the first post for changes, but it basically fixes some issues and implements some missing stuff.

Also, this includes the first phase of removing system limts. As of beta 3 there are unlimited Views and GUIs (because these were the easiest two to do).

Now, I'm not going to bother removing limits where the current ones aren't causing a problem, so are there any limits that people are concerned about? I'm aware of the Frames Per Loop limit in views, which I'll look into. Anything else?

AGA

Hotspots and objects in rooms. I'm assuming that limitation still exists from the last time I used AGS?

Lt. Smash

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 08/07/2007 16:32:57
Now, I'm not going to bother removing limits where the current ones aren't causing a problem, so are there any limits that people are concerned about? I'm aware of the Frames Per Loop limit in views, which I'll look into. Anything else?

areas in general.
---------------------------

I think there's a bug in the 'Continue a recently edited game' list when I edit games in 2.72 and then open 2.8 the list is completely mixxed. (The names of the games aren't in the same order as their names)

Gilbert

For areas, as far as I know the current implementation is to use an indiced bitmap to store them, so unless there're big changes to the engine it's not possible to "remove" the limits, if the bitmap used are 8-bit, however, theoretically we can have up to 255 of each of these areas. I think we had some discussions about that earlier on, one main problem was with the editor displaying all these areas in different colours, which would be VERY hard to distinguish if there're so many areas. I think I had suggested to only display the currently area in a colour, and all the other areas in one single gray colour. Since the editor is being re-written, maybe it's time to reconsider this?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I'd definitely like limits removed on the max number of sprite/view/etc folders for reasons I've mentioned before (organization, categorization).   Generally I think it would benefit everyone for the core items (characters, views, dialogs, rooms, room max anim frames, etc) to have dynamic creation since it will reduce the exe compile size for small games and allow people who need lots of something to have it if necessary. 

Obviously it's not a win for you since you have to recode it, but everyone else comes out a winner, and it will save you headaches in the future with extension requests!  :=

Also, I heard Berian say you could sleep in his bed at next Brittens if you did this.

Charity

Using the editor in 800x600 resolution doesn't seem to allow scrolling on large GUIs.

Also I keep getting an error whenever I try to run games.  If I use the Test Game option in the editor I get a message that reads: "The engine does not appear to have shut down properly.  If the problem persists, post the problem on the tech forum."  If I compile the game and then try to run it outside the editor, it exits while or immediately after loading (can't tell which), but doesn't display a message.  If I run the game windowed, I get an illegal operation error before it crashes.  I tried this on two separate test games imported from V2.72, with the same result.  The backups of both games still run just fine.  I tried making a quick one room "game" in V2.8 beta 3 and again had the same result.

I don't seem to have the same problem with beta 2.

Item #3: Has support for .PCX files been dropped?  I couldn't access them when loading background images for the afore mentioned "quick game".

And quick question: In the palette editor, the range of brightness on the RGB slots seems to have changed from 64 to 256.  Will this actually allow a broader range of color in 256 color games?  Also, I assume scripts using palette[SLOT].r etc. will need to be updated accordingly?

Gilbert

Quote from: Lyaer on Mon 09/07/2007 06:45:37
And quick question: In the palette editor, the range of brightness on the RGB slots seems to have changed from 64 to 256.  Will this actually allow a broader range of color in 256 color games?  Also, I assume scripts using palette[SLOT].r etc. will need to be updated accordingly?

I don't think so, as the original VGA 8-bit modes by hardware design use 6-6-6 bit colour format for the base colours, so the change to the 8-8-8 range was probably done to make people more confortable to use as in most softwares or systems, this scheme is used (also, to accomodate with the range used in 24-bit modes), in a 8-bit game, the colours will still be hashed to 64 levels-per-channel.

I miss the sliders for 8-bit colour mode. :(

AGA

Quote from: ProgZmax on Mon 09/07/2007 06:18:03Also, I heard Berian say you could sleep in his bed at next Brittens if you did this.

What do you mean "next" Brittens? ???

khnum

I had the same problem Lyaer had: i imported a game upgraded from 2.72 to 2.8 beta 1, wich worked fine, in the beta 3, and the program crashed...
I wonder if it's because i still have the beta 1 on my pc (on a different folder)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk