AGS 3.0 Final - it's been a long road

Started by Pumaman, Sun 10/06/2007 18:24:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

That definitely looks like an internal .NET error, and I'm glad you've sorted it by reinstalling -- but I'm a bit worried that a major Microsoft distribution like .NET could go wrong like that...

Cinfa

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 24/01/2008 20:16:15
That definitely looks like an internal .NET error, and I'm glad you've sorted it by reinstalling -- but I'm a bit worried that a major Microsoft distribution like .NET could go wrong like that...

The automatic update messed up all. I downloaded the redistributable version and recovered the installation.

monkey0506

Quote from: Cinfa on Thu 24/01/2008 23:56:34The automatic update messed up all.

Welcome to Micro$oft.

Quote from: Microsoft Customer ServiceThank you for calling Microsoft Customer Service, could you hold for an hour while we transfer you to a representative in India, who barely speaks any English in an accent so thick they may as well be speaking Cantonese, at your expense?

DoorKnobHandle

Noticed three small flaws with Beta 15 (but the update-list doesn't mention anything from Beta 15 - Final, so I guess it's okay to report):

1. When I open/close normal round brackets "()" in comments, it still displays them yellow. That's not necessary and distracts.

#2 is not relevant any more, I guess, see discussion below
2. The drop-down list in the script-files doesn't seem to recognize all functions correctly. I have a large script-file with ~10 class member functions and ~20 global functions in it and it only shows around ~8 of them at a time (usually only the ones near the cursor). PLUS (and that's worse) it seems to have gotten confused with the curly brackets "{}": inside one of my functions the list suddenly switches to the global function after the one I'm actually in if I move my cursor to the end of a "}" of a FOR-LOOP. It seems to confuse that with the real end of the FUNCTION. I can provide exact code, but not publicly if necessary, but maybe you find the mistake without the exact code just with the report.

3. When I click a function from the drop-down list, it jumps to the line. That's great, but if it has to scroll down to find the function I searched for, it will scroll only so far as to show me the TITLE (in the lowest line). It'd be a lot more convenient if it would try to scroll so much until the first line of the function is actually in the highest line and thus show more of the function itself (but check against the eof of the script, of course).

I tried to make it all clear, but ask if I didn't achieve that, I'm kinda tired. If you want to keep some or all of my suggestions for later updates, that's fine.

Looking forward to the official announcement of AGS 3.0! :)

Cinfa

Quote from: dkh on Fri 25/01/2008 00:06:01
3. When I click a function from the drop-down list, it jumps to the line. That's great, but if it has to scroll down to find the function I searched for, it will scroll only so far as to show me the TITLE (in the lowest line). It'd be a lot more convenient if it would try to scroll so much until the first line of the function is actually in the highest line and thus show more of the function itself (but check against the eof of the script, of course).
I think it's better if the searched line is in the middle. Maybe one wants to search something at the beginning, and another is searching a last line.

monkey0506

Quote from: dkh on Fri 25/01/2008 00:06:011. When I open/close normal round brackets "()" in comments, it still displays them yellow. That's not necessary and distracts.

Well it is still necessary to properly close off all parentheses and I find it quite useful. There's been times when I've miss counted my parentheses and ended up with some funny problems because of it, especially in complicated logical statements. Besides, I tend to finish my statements off by typing ) until I see a red one. :=

Quote from: dkh on Fri 25/01/2008 00:06:012. The drop-down list in the script-files doesn't seem to recognize all functions correctly. I have a large script-file with ~10 class member functions and ~20 global functions in it and it only shows around ~8 of them at a time (usually only the ones near the cursor), PLUS it seems to have gotten confused with the curly brackets "{}", inside one of my functions, it suddenly switches to the global function after the one I'm actually in, if I move my cursor at the end of a "}" of a FOR-LOOP, it seems to confuse that with the end of the function. I can provide exact code, but not publicly if necessary, but maybe you find the mistake without the exact code.

The drop-down list should be functioning properly. I haven't had many problems with it. If you're adding new functions, or extending existing ones it sometimes goes a little funny, but switching tabs and switching back seems to update this (along with autocomplete) so they should update their cached copy of your scripts.

Quote from: dkh on Fri 25/01/2008 00:06:013. When I click a function from the drop-down list, it jumps to the line. That's great, but if it has to scroll down to find the function I searched for, it will scroll only so far as to show me the TITLE (in the lowest line). It'd be a lot more convenient if it would try to scroll so much until the first line of the function is actually in the highest line and thus show more of the function itself (but check against the eof of the script, of course).

I would actually like this option as well. If the script could be scrolled to where the top of the function is at the top of the script, or at least as near as the length of the script will allow, it would be great.

DoorKnobHandle

Cinfa:
Hmm... I personally stick to my opinion, I'd say it should always jump/scroll just so much, that the "function xyz ( )"-line defining the function is on the topmost-position. Maybe you were thinking about the search-feature, cinfa? For that, I agree, middle is the best spot, but for clicking a function name in the drop-down box, you don't click it when you want the function above that, you look for the exact function - and since the "function xyz ( )"-line HAS to be the first, having that in the first line in the window will actually be the most clear. But I guess that's up to CJ to consider/decide.

Monkey:
1. What? It's not necessary to close paranthesis in the comments. :p For example:
Code: ags

call_test ( 1 );
// this is just a litte something (a test, actually)

In the second line, there, it shouldn't mark my paranthesis yellow, red, etc. The compiler should not evaluate my comments (in my opinion), it shouldn't "touch" these lines. If I forget to close a bracket in the comments shouldn't matter, because it doesn't. It won't change the program, because comments are entirely discarded when compiling.

2. Ah, I see. Well, in future it might be best to somehow update the cache more efficiently, but for now, you're right. Updating it like that makes it work. :)

Two more small suggestions:

1. How about allowing people to hit CTRL+C when having an image selected in the Sprite Manager and having that shortcut copy it to clipboard. I always forget that AGS doesn't seem to allow this yet when I work with sprites.

2. How about increasing the maximum entries in the script drop-down list? Now, it only extends a little bit and I soon have to use the scroller on the right. It could easily display five times as many entries, that would be a lot easier and faster to work with and that it would cover up a larger part of the actual script shouldn't be a problem, because you don't need the code when you're browsing in that list.

monkey0506

Oh sorry, I didn't realize you said "in comments". My mistake there.

However, the script editor does all sorts of funny things in comments that don't matter. Autocomplete still works. The brace-matching still applies. Etc. and so forth. These things don't apply within comments, but personally I never found it enough of an issue to ask for a fix. Even if it does warrant a fix, I would still rate it at very-low priority. I wouldn't want CJ spending too much time on this if it's not something easily changed.

Sorry again about the mix-up. ::)

DazJ

I'm pretty sure I've found a bug to do with the hotspots.

On using the AnyClick property and editing the desired code (in this case QuitGame(0)) it doesn't work. Only on right-clicking to change the cursor from WALK TO to LOOK AT does it work.

SSH

Walkto has always had this behaviour. You'll need to put special code in on_click to handle it otherwise...

Pumaman

Quote from: dkh on Fri 25/01/2008 00:06:01
Noticed three small flaws with Beta 15 (but the update-list doesn't mention anything from Beta 15 - Final, so I guess it's okay to report):

Thanks for these, I'll look into them for 3.01.

Anyway, this thread is now closed because 3.0 is now released.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk