Library Frustration

Started by ZapZap, Wed 15/06/2011 00:35:10

Previous topic - Next topic

ZapZap

You arrive at the Library to study with your friends but, as basic needs arise you start wondering... will you be able? Are the things you can find within this small room useful enough to get your ass down and work a little bit? We'll see...

There might be bugs.

Download

Thanks to Matti for posting the screenie and for correcting the link
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

Matti

Here's the screenie:

..will check the game out tomorrow.

kaputtnik

Gosh, even the telephone on that counter looks unhappy - has a day at the library ever looked so frustrating?

Congratulations on finishing your first game!
I, object.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Cleanic on Wed 15/06/2011 00:35:10
Sorry for the incredible amount of bugs and reasoning flaws I suspect you may find... my first game, my bad
Just a little advice - if you expect errors and flaws in your game (and even if you don't :)), post it in "Game in production" section of the forum and say you need help with testing. A decent number of people willing to beta-test new games can be found usually.

arj0n

If I new about your project I could haver helped you out beta-testing...  ::)
Anyway, checking your game out later. ;)

ZapZap

Crimson Wizard: That's probably true, but it's such a little game... and I kinda had beta testing (friends) and corrected a few mistakes but given that they're not big fans of adventure games I don't know if something slipped their mind. But it's true, next time I'll have someone from here to search that (I'll remember you Arj0n)
Thanks kaputtnik!

Pinkel

I was playing this game for a while, but I got stuck (walkthrough would be really appreciated) . :( However, I think  can probably tell an opinion about it - it's a short game anyway.
It's pretty fun and playable. The graphics are pretty good. I especially liked animations. Another thing I thought was good were dialogues. I laughed hard at some moments, for example - when you try to close the window.  ;D
I also found some little bugs.
Spoiler
1. When you try to look at one of the plants, the game crashes. 2. After reading a book and manipulating Hasna to eat peanuts, you can read a book again and repeat the whole thing. 3. When the librarian drinks cofee, you can't do anything. 4. When you try to use something on Hasna's bag, main character refuses. It doesn't happen with David's briefcase.
[close]
Anyway, congratulations for completing your first game and good luck with future projects! :)

ZapZap

Pinkel, thanks for the info, I fixed/changed 1, 2 (more or less) and 4. I knew about 3, I'm leaving it  that way (it had a purpose in my first idea of the code, though that's not the case anymore, but either way I don't think it's that annoying)
I really appreciate that you liked the dialogs, i always fear i can't make them as rich as i would like because of my english.
About the walkthrough... might these little hints help you?
Spoiler
Mouth is not only for talking-You're in a library so you should read more than a book-There's an item in the room which really needs pixel hunting... sorry
[close]

Stefano

I'm getting the following error when I execute winsetup.exe:

Code: ags
---------------------------
Error
Error: unable to launch 'BiFru ESPA?OL - copia.exe'. Make sure that the file is in the same directory as this Setup program.
OK   

(I think it's "BiFru ESPAÃ'OL - copia.exe")

Since apparently no one else got it, I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong?
Trying to make my first AGS game.

Pinkel

Oh dear. I've seriously done everything i could think off and clicked thousands times, but i still can't move any further.  :-[
Spoiler
Even before You posted Your hints, I tried to eat a mint and poured energy drink into glass... And I still have no freakin idea what can I do...
[close]

EDIT: @up
Do you have unpackaging program (Winrar for example) installed? I had the same problem until i realised i haven't installed Winrar yet - and did an epic facepalm.  ;D

ZapZap

Stefano: I've realised what the problem is... after compiling the last version i changed the name of the BiFru file and thought it wouldn't matter (WROOONG) so now i'm uploading a version where you can enter the setup without problems (i'm guessing you wanted a windowed mode?)

Pinkel: I think the thing that keeps you from progressing is
Spoiler
the pixel-hunting-needed object
[close]
so I offer you 2 options: you can download the new version, in which i made it more obvious, or you can look at this 
Spoiler
It's stuck under the table in a corner
[close]

Pinkel

I've finally finished the Library Frustration. :) Overall, I must say it's a fun little piece of point & click game. I loved very dark sense of humor, nice graphics and interesting puzzles. I wonder how long did it take You to make it? I wish my first game will be as good as Yours. Keep up the good work!

Stefano

Thank you for the fixed build. Yeah, I always run my AGS games on windowed mode to avoid stretching and thus preserve pixel crispiness!

Although I have to agree to Pinkel about the constant freezing every time the librarian say anything or drink coffee. At first it was all right, like you said. But I guess when I'm stuck and trying to find out what to do next, I tend to get more inpatient because of all the re-reading/re-clicking.

Although your hints did help me, I'm stuck:
Spoiler
I've read 2 books, a "shitty" ;D one to find the librarian's phone number; one about Gynecology to confirm the menopause symptoms.
In my inventory I have: mint pieces, headphone, phone and explosive remedy.
I believe the next thing I need is some sort of rod to use with the headphones in order fish things (food & estrogen) out of Hasna's bag, from a safe distance.
[close]
The thing is, I can't find it.

Thank you. It is neat first game!
Trying to make my first AGS game.

ZapZap

Stefano: You're on the right track,
Spoiler
i suppose you've talked to David, remember that tells you that besides the menopause problem you should prevent her watching you open the window, there might be something around there you can move to block her view...
[close]

watch this if you want a explicit hint  :-X
Spoiler
you should be able to move the recently borrowed books
[close]

Pinkel: I sent you a message ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk