La Croix Pan (v1.1)

Started by TheJBurger, Wed 13/06/2007 01:10:03

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJBurger

Quote from: LimpingFish on Wed 13/06/2007 23:03:41
Really nice game. Impressively consistant graphic style and nice use of colours. A proper example of the right way to make a first game.

And, if it's not my imagination, does the sniper sight become steadier for a moment between him inhaling and exhaling? If I'm right, it's an inspired design mechanic.
You are correct, it steadies out between breathing. Though I can't take all the credit for the design mechanic. It was kind of *cough* borrowed from a first person shooter.

And now, because I'm a picky bastard, some niggles:

The choice of sound-effects could have been stronger. The sniper's gunshots might benefit from a little more kick, as could the various richocets.
Can't really defend this one too much, since I ripped the sound effects from a game.

The reload time, although probably realistic, is a little slow for me.
Yes, that's understandable. Although I hate it in games when the player takes out his clip and magically brings up another one in record time that happens to be full.

Of course, these are very minor aspects.

Overall I was genuinely impressed. A very enjoyable game. More please. :)

Thanks for playing.  :D

Vince Twelve

TheJBurger sent me a new version (1.03) that fixes a bug and speeds up the character.  The download has been replaced with the new version.

earlwood

Hmm, I if I may make a small suggestion:

Spoiler
When pressing spacebar to pause the game, you may want it to fade to a black screen.  Because the cursor still moves when the game is paused, but characters do not, you can pause the game and take aim without worrying about being hit.  Of course, I suppose you could just freeze the cursor...
[close]

[edit]

I forgot to mention, this was a great first game.

Rd27

This was an awesome game, fantastic work!!!

My only minor suggestion is, that it would be nice to see the enemys move when not using zoom, atleast I think they are not showing now?

Khris

Great game, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I really admire the patience that must have flown into producing all these animation frames; they push the atmosphere incredibly.

Storygamer

This was an extremely enjoyable short game!  Two thumbs way up!  The ending, I thought, was rather thought-provoking.  I had a couple of ideas with regards to the basic story (story is what interests me most in any game, hence my name).  I'm putting it in spoilers (if I understand how to do spoiler tags correctly on this forum) since it gives away the ending and some solutions to puzzles.

Spoiler

1. After you kick the soldier at the end, I am assuming the only option for victory at this point is to shoot him.  I haven't tried NOT shooting him yet, but based on the other posts in this thread I am guessing that there is no alternative.  I was thinking that an interesting "alternate path" that would be fairly easy to program would be to find a way to get out WITHOUT shooting the soldier.  Perhaps you could merely take his gun away from him and leave him there, or something like that.

2. The most thought-provoking moment in the game is, by far, the moment where the main character says "We're just going to leave everything like this?" and the other soldier says something like "Yeah, someone else will be along to clean it up."  For me those lines were a wonderful climax to a game with a WWII backdrop.  I was thinking that it would be an even better ending if the main character gave a little narrative at the end, and shared with us his thinking about the German soldiers he had killed and his feelings about leaving the bodies in the streets.  There is a great opportunity here for some open-ended philosophizing on morality and war.  If you were to implement my suggestion #1 above, you could even have two possible endings, in which the character ponders the ethical implications of whichever decision he made regarding the soldier above.
[close]

It seems to me that these little additions would be very easy to implement and would double the value of an already intriguing story.  Just a few thoughts!  Overall I loved it, and was very impressed with some of the more advanced features you built into it.  The sniper minigame was exceptionally well done.

<edit2: thanks!>

Groogokk

Quote from: Storygamer on Thu 14/06/2007 20:11:39
<edit: er...okay, apparently I do NOT understand how to do spoiler tags on this forum...any help there would be appreciated...>

You do it with [*hide] This will be hidden. [/*hide], but without the asterisks of course.

TheJBurger

Quote from: earlwood on Thu 14/06/2007 04:56:16
Hmm, I if I may make a small suggestion:

Spoiler
When pressing spacebar to pause the game, you may want it to fade to a black screen.  Because the cursor still moves when the game is paused, but characters do not, you can pause the game and take aim without worrying about being hit.  Of course, I suppose you could just freeze the cursor...
[close]

[edit]

I forgot to mention, this was a great first game.

Yes, I'll have to consider that if I update.

Quote from: Rd27 on Thu 14/06/2007 13:40:54
This was an awesome game, fantastic work!!!

My only minor suggestion is, that it would be nice to see the enemys move when not using zoom, atleast I think they are not showing now?
Actually, you can see the enemies when not using zoom, at least until you fire at them!

Quote from: KhrisMUC on Thu 14/06/2007 15:44:27
Great game, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I really admire the patience that must have flown into producing all these animation frames; they push the atmosphere incredibly.
Thanks, it was fun making them.

Storygamer:
Interesting points you make. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Bai Karl

Very nice screenshot. Looks interesting!

vertigoaddict

I kept on getting shot and diying T_T

nihilyst

A small and cool game, well-written, with cool graphics und music. Keep it up!

Steel Drummer

This game is great! This game could be a serious competitor for the 'Best Short Game' AGS award. I think Storygamer's additions sound good, what do you think, J?
I'm composing the music for this game:

Akatosh

I'd agree on that. Also, quite a cool game! (althought these who speak German probably had a very little advantage at the final puzzle  ;))

After all, if this was just your first game, I think we quite have something to expect from you in the future!

Justis

Good short game. The graphics were excellent. The sniper breathing thing reminded me of Metal Gear Solid.

Leonard LePage

I think this is the first game I've really enjoyed in a long time. It left me wanting more, and in a good way! How long did it take you to make this game?

TheJBurger

Quote from: Leonard LePage on Mon 18/06/2007 23:07:21
I think this is the first game I've really enjoyed in a long time. It left me wanting more, and in a good way! How long did it take you to make this game?

The majority of the development time took about 2 months. Scripting the sniper sequence and making the animations took the most time out of anything. Then I polished it, added music, and had it beta-tested.

Polaroid

I enjoyed this. Great atmoshpere.
Loved the opnening sequence.

However, I have to say the door"puzzle" was a bit uninspired.

TheJBurger

Quote from: Polaroid on Wed 20/06/2007 22:27:26
I enjoyed this. Great atmoshpere.
Loved the opnening sequence.

However, I have to say the door"puzzle" was a bit uninspired.

Care to elaborate?

strazer

This looks very interesting.
Do you use the flashlight plugin for the sniper scope? Have you tried using a graphic overlay instead?
I'm interested in a plugin-free version because neither the Linux nor the Mac versions of AGS support them.

TheJBurger

Quote from: strazer on Thu 21/06/2007 20:21:52
This looks very interesting.
Do you use the flashlight plugin for the sniper scope? Have you tried using a graphic overlay instead?
I'm interested in a plugin-free version because neither the Linux nor the Mac versions of AGS support them.
Yes I used the flashlight plugin.

I just replaced the plugin and used an overlay instead. Try downloading it and tell me if it works.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk