La Croix Pan (v1.1)

Started by TheJBurger, Wed 13/06/2007 01:10:03

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJBurger

June 7th, 1944

A lone American sniper enters the small town of La Croix Pan with the task of defending it by himself. He must face off a group of enemy soldiers, or die trying.

(Current Version: 1.10)

Download Now!
8.8 MB (Thanks to Vince Twelve for the hosting!)
Mirror 1 - note: old version without translation.

Game's database page

The game is short and can probably be beaten in under 30 minutes, so don't expect something too long.

Vince Twelve

Congrats, TheJBurger!  It's a fine game and I enjoyed beta-ing and am happy to host!

This is exactly how people should aim for their first game to come out.  Short, but with a high degree of polish, and trying out some complex scripting to add in some non-standard adventure gameplay.  Well done!  Looking forward to more from you!

R4L

Bug alert:

Spoiler
When you go down the hatch and you kick the guard, I assume you have to pick up your weapon and fire at him right? I did that, and my guy went to a kneel and aimed, but never shot. I just walked past everything to the end.
[close]

Awesome game man!

MrColossal

Congrats on your first game. I agree with Vince, for a first game this is exactly what everyone should do.

My only suggestion would be to speed up some animations but I enjoyed the kick option and I used it liberally. [maybe this guy is an ancestor of the Automation scientist?]

I should play it again and let the germans get a little farther down the road before opening fire on them would probably make it easier and it appears that they grab cover farther down the road.

Nicely done!

eric
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

TheJBurger

Quote from: R4L on Wed 13/06/2007 03:47:19
Bug alert:

Spoiler
When you go down the hatch and you kick the guard, I assume you have to pick up your weapon and fire at him right? I did that, and my guy went to a kneel and aimed, but never shot. I just walked past everything to the end.
[close]
Hmm... I can't reproduce this bug. Could you PM me perhaps with more specific details?

Awesome game man!
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!

Quote from: MrColossal on Wed 13/06/2007 04:53:28
My only suggestion would be to speed up some animations but I enjoyed the kick option and I used it liberally. [maybe this guy is an ancestor of the Automation scientist?]
I agree that some of the animations are a bit slow (going up the ladder?). I guess I was trying to make it seem that he was using some effort to push himself up.

By the way, Automation was one of the main sources of inspiration for this game (you can probably tell!). Without it, I might not've made this game!

Thanks for playing!

Ubel

The best AGS game in a while. So pretty and so well made! I really had fun playing it. Good job! :D

Chicky

Looks ace! Downloading now!

cobra79

Really nice short game. Well done!

m0ds

Awesome! Very much enjoying this :)

space boy

thewalrus

Looks way f***ing cool!!! Btw, long time, no see, everyone!!!
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

piperhcombs

My first reaction? Beautiful graphics! Downloading now- looking forward to a great game.
:cheers: + :claps:

Temperance&Booth  Sydney&Vaughn  Nadia&Weiss

Groogokk

Good game. I liked the graphics and the quiet but menacing atmosphere. The enemy's machine (or submachine) gun fire sounded a bit tame to me though; something I really disliked was that
Spoiler
the German soldier waiting for you calmly stands by while you come down the ladder, orders you to put down the gun - and then shoots you. He'd have riddled you with bullets while you were coming down. I can see, of course, that the fact that he waits is for gameplay purposes (so you have something to do before you victoriously ride off into the sunset), but that doesn't really make it better in my eyes.
[close]
Now that you have all those animation loops, JBurger, I'd find it really cool if you made another short game with the same setting.

Erenan

Yippee! A most excellent game! Good work!
The Bunker

aussie

I haven't played AGS games for awhile (I've been a bit busy lately), but I'm giving this one a run. It looks pretty good...

EDIT:

The game is great. Short and sweet. Quality over quantity. I love the atmosphere and all those little animations.

The only thing that bugs me a bit is how the player character moves so slow. Like somebody suggested, it'd be good to make him walk quicker.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

piperhcombs

That was a really good game. The creepy/dramatic music fit right in with the drabness of the abandoned town. I loved how you made it so we could hear our character breathing while he's aiming his rifle from the tower. Once again, the graphics were beautifully done. I envy your artistic talent.
:cheers: + :claps:

Temperance&Booth  Sydney&Vaughn  Nadia&Weiss

hedgefield

Really awesome game. Great atmosphere and good gameplay. Keep up the good work!

Grundislav

The first AGS game I've played in a while, and what a treat it was to play, too!  An impressive first effort.  I'm looking forward to seeing more from you in the future.

TheJBurger

Quote from: Pablo on Wed 13/06/2007 09:14:10
The best AGS game in a while. So pretty and so well made! I really had fun playing it. Good job! :D
Thanks! That's quite a compliment!

Quote from: Chicky on Wed 13/06/2007 11:15:51
Looks ace! Downloading now!
Hope you enjoy it.

Quote from: cobra79 on Wed 13/06/2007 11:38:19
Really nice short game. Well done!
Thanks for playing!

Quote from: m0ds on Wed 13/06/2007 15:26:48
Awesome! Very much enjoying this :)
Thanks!

Quote from: space boy on Wed 13/06/2007 15:50:55
Well done soldier!
And a hooah to you too!

Quote from: Groogokk on Wed 13/06/2007 16:31:02
Good game. I liked the graphics and the quiet but menacing atmosphere. The enemy's machine (or submachine) gun fire sounded a bit tame to me though; something I really disliked was that
Spoiler
the German soldier waiting for you calmly stands by while you come down the ladder, orders you to put down the gun - and then shoots you. He'd have riddled you with bullets while you were coming down. I can see, of course, that the fact that he waits is for gameplay purposes (so you have something to do before you victoriously ride off into the sunset), but that doesn't really make it better in my eyes.
[close]
Haha, yeah. Just hold your suspension of disbelief for that scene.
Now that you have all those animation loops, JBurger, I'd find it really cool if you made another short game with the same setting.
I don't have any plans for that, but I'll always consider it. Thanks for playing!

Quote from: Erenan on Wed 13/06/2007 18:01:06
Yippee! A most excellent game! Good work!
Thanks!
Quote from: aussie on Wed 13/06/2007 18:35:05
I haven't played AGS games for awhile (I've been a bit busy lately), but I'm giving this one a run. It looks pretty good...

EDIT:

The game is great. Short and sweet. Quality over quantity. I love the atmosphere and all those little animations.

The only thing that bugs me a bit is how the player character moves so slow. Like somebody suggested, it'd be good to make him walk quicker.
I'll consider speeding him up a bit. Thanks for playing!

Quote from: piperhcombs on Wed 13/06/2007 19:29:06
That was a really good game. The creepy/dramatic music fit right in with the drabness of the abandoned town. I loved how you made it so we could hear our character breathing while he's aiming his rifle from the tower. Once again, the graphics were beautifully done. I envy your artistic talent.
Glad you enjoyed it.

Quote from: largopredator on Wed 13/06/2007 22:25:11
Really awesome game. Great atmosphere and good gameplay. Keep up the good work!
Thanks.

Quote from: Grundislav on Wed 13/06/2007 22:30:30
The first AGS game I've played in a while, and what a treat it was to play, too!  An impressive first effort.  I'm looking forward to seeing more from you in the future.
Thanks for playing.

Just a final note to clarify something: Some people have complained that you can only kill the soldiers with a headshot, and that shooting at the body does nothing. But headshots just gurantee instant kills, while body/arm/leg shots require 2 or more to kill.

LimpingFish

Really nice game. Impressively consistant graphic style and nice use of colours. A proper example of the right way to make a first game.

And, if it's not my imagination, does the sniper sight become steadier for a moment between him inhaling and exhaling? If I'm right, it's an inspired design mechanic.

And now, because I'm a picky bastard, some niggles:

The choice of sound-effects could have been stronger. The sniper's gunshots might benefit from a little more kick, as could the various richocets. The reload time, although probably realistic, is a little slow for me.

Of course, these are very minor aspects.

Overall I was genuinely impressed. A very enjoyable game. More please. :)
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk