Sprite Jam: HHGTTG vs Star Wars and the winner is...

Started by Mad, Thu 14/06/2007 08:59:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad

Who wouldn't have loved to play a really good 2D point n click adventure of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!? Well I would have! So, it is your task to breathe pixely life into the characters of the whole series.

And since there is only a limited amount of characters in that SiFi series, I give you an extra outer spacy bonus: Gimme Star Wars DOTT style! In C&C I've seen some of you doing a great job on the Maniac Mansion sprites.

So I announce: HHGTTG vs Star Wars

Keep in the size of 150x150 pixels.
You may use up to 32 colours.

In short:

2D Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy characters (in the style you prefer, just stay within the restrictions)
or
Star Wars (DOTT style)

You may do both but clarify which is your actual entry.

Bohnito

Im really waiting in suspense for the entrys. I sense a nice collection is coming up.
Just wanted to say I'm working on Arthur Dent... ;D

Edit:
x2

29colors,150x150
Not even ready with the face. Hope Im still finding some free time

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

EdLoen

Alright, it's done.  Where as the original mock-up may not be too much like DOTT(with the exceptions of exaggerations), I tried to pixel it in the style.  A couple double pixels, Very minimal shading, and whatever shading there is, it's the same color as the outline.

8 Colors, plus transperency

x2

.....About her boobs.... I think she borrowed one of Madonna's bras from the 80's...
[self-depravation]I completely jumbled the hair bun.  And I'm not pleased at all with the hands, nor the pistol.[/self-depravation]

Mad

@EdLoen: Hey, I'd like to see her finished anyhow. She looks very promising, even if not very DOTTish.

Afflict

Wow, amazing entires so far. The HHGTTG is amazing! Wow. Also Progz love the DOTT starwars. Glad I am not judging this.

cobra79

OK it is not DOTT style, because a) I don't like DOTT style and b) I have no idea how to make it DOTTish, but as a Star Wars fan I had to enter anyway. Bounty hunter Boba Fett.

18x41 11colors

x3

SpacePirateCaine

5 colors + transparency

He's your plastic pal that's fun to be with!
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Renegade Implementor

This is a lot of fun. Just a note about the style, it's my best aproximation of the style Krysis devloped for RoN.

Rather than post each individually, here's a lineup.  Please ignore the purple background.

normal

x3

Marvin - 21 x 82, 5 colours
Arthur - 23 x 83, 15 colours
Ford - 19 x 80, 12 colours
Vogon Guard - 37 x 87, 8 colours
Benji & Frankie Mouse (each)- 9 x 15, 9 colours

EDIT
Belcerebon - 13 x 81, 5 colours
Mr. Prosser - 25 x 72, 11 colours

TheJBurger

I tried, but I failed at DOTT style. I started drawing in a realistic style, then I realized it wasn't cartoony enough, but then later I switched back to realistic, so here's the result.

18 Colors + Transparency
Reference: http://www.edandmari.com/starwars/images/BobaFett.jpg

radiowaves

Meet Marvin the Star Wars edition!

8 colours, including transparency, some 30-40 minutes with some reference pics.
I am just a shallow stereotype, so you should take into consideration that my opinion has no great value to you.

Tracks

buloght

I am overjoyed to see you here inkspot :), awesome sprite. As well as the other sprites, tough compo. I love how you capsured all of them progz.

Mad

hey buloght, any chance of seeing one of your excellent sprites for this compo!?

Still some time left, I'm going to close this in ooh let's say 5 h from now.

markbilly

Has this finished now? Because I did a (sort of) sprite of Zaphod Beeblebrox. I didn't like it much and it isn't finished but I'll post it anyway if it's finished.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

As of yesterday this comp should have been over, yeah.  Mad will reappear at some point to dub the winner.

markbilly

I shall post it on in the Critics Lounge I think. I just can't get some of it right.

SpacePirateCaine

Not me - this is Mad's contest - though I have my own favorites for the win. I dunno about everyone else, but my money's on ProgZ's Han Solo, even if he's got the old Harrison Ford squint, he's a dead-ringer. I'd love to see my name up among the Grand Slams, but I don't think my Old-skool Marvin quite measures up. And Markbilly, I'd like to see you put it in here anyway - Mad might not choose to rate your sprite in the competition, since it's past the cut-off, but I'd really like to see another entry here anyway.

We've had a good run of jams recently - lots of entries, which I'm really diggin'. Regardless of the winner, I'm looking forward to the next one.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Mad

Sorry chaps, yesterday I was unexpectedly busy work wise!

But here is the run down:

Bohnito: Great Arthur you've got there. You absolutly nailed the pose and you did a cool job of his face with just a few pixel!

ProgZmax: All of them fantastic as always. But if you don't mind I'd like to only take the Boba Fett into consideration. With him you managed to recreate the DOTT style with a lot of nice detail!

EdLoen: I really like your take on Lea. You're probably right about the hands and I'm also not to sure about her boobs, but I somehow like the overall look!

cobra79: Not DOTT style, but who cares at the end of the day! You've done really good considering the resolution! The only crit would be to give him a little more contrast.

SpacePirateCaine: I don't know what you're on about, I think your incarnation of Marvin is great. I can't find anything to crit. Good job!

Renegade Implementor: You've got a good clean set there. Very simple, but functional!

TheJBurger: Wow, look at the detailing! Fantastic pixeling. But the big cartoony head and the realism don't go too well together, but still a great sprite!

radiowaves: Superb lighting! Very realistic. Somehow I always liked the movie Marvin. Is he cutting toast?

Tiki: Pity you didn't finish it, I thought you were off to good start.

Now, this is going to be a tough one:

I've just chosen an overall winner and didn't go for an individual second or third place, because they're all so very good. So the second place goes to all of you except
SpacePirateCaine, who won!

Congrats SpacePirateCaine, somehow your sprite just did it for me, but just.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Heh. Does that make you a Grand Slam Winner yet, SPC? :)
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk