Chapter One: O'Sirus the Snip

Open image in new tab if you want to see the full resolution:

The title screen.

The Paincutioner's Court

The Draft Horse

A Royal Guffaloon

An older background that will be upgraded to higher resolution:

O'Sirus first draft walk cycle:

Summary:  The Knobbly Crook is an 1024x768 game, a talkie, and is set in a completely original fantasy world.

Story: There are some big plot elements I don't want to spoil here, as well as some gameplay dynamics, so I'll keep it simple. You play as O'Sirus the Snip, a simple paper farmer who realizes he is connected to something much bigger. He'll struggle to join the Royal Guffaloon, the Crookian warrior police, he'll end up in the massive stronghold of the Bogold Empire, and eventually he'll be on the front lines of a huge war. I can't hide the rock, paper, scissors theme with my screenshots, so I'll say it has a big part of the way things work in the Knobbly Crook. Magic takes many strange forms, and O'Sirus controls those three elements (Tic is his paper bird).

Demo: The demo only features WIP rooms, but it gives a good example of the art style and the humor that will be in the final game.  You can find the demo at:

Download the Demo

Various images:

Our Hero
Tarsus Twotalk
The Paincutioner's Court
A Sea Prophet
A Bogold (unfinished)

i k a r i

This is one of the most interesting games in production I've ever seen, you have me totally nailed with it.

I'm downloading the demo right now, I'll edit this later, right now I can only say it's obvious this is going to be extremely creative, and I can see clearly that you're putting a lot of effort and "heart" making it.
Very detailed and beautiful graphics too. I'll make sure to play this one.
Can't wait...
QuoteWell, one think is not liking him, and the other is making humour of the retarder people!
Nacho speaking of Bush.

Nikolas

Indeed!

Most impressive indeed!

hope you finish it (soon). :D All the best to all the production team (how many are you btw?)

ManicMatt

Meystari F

Those arts are insane. Very interesting game indeed. I will too look forward for this one. ;D

Buckethead

Such amazing graphics!  :o I wonder how you pulled it off

ManicMatt

Played the demo!

Okay..

Excellent graphics, as everyone agrees. Nice humour, and it's probably a coincidence that you used the same joke as in my game, I can see it happening...

Anyway, I have one gripe only. The voice for the main character. Is it your voice? I mean no offence, but it isn't pleasing to listen to, and doesnt look like the voice that would come out of that character either, based on his appearance. The other guy's voice works though, even if it sounds like the same actor with a higher pitched voice. (Although I wonder if I could be accused of the same thing sometimes..)

PS - Having played again and heard two more voices in there, those two voices work fine! So yes, just the lead character.. but it's up to you and I apologise for the critiscm if it wasnt wanted.

Nikolas

Yup, there are 4 voices.

A detailed first room! Difficult dialogues. I was actually ammused by all 4 voices!

Also, a slow download it was...

I see you enjoy blood ;D

Well a great first room as I said (a small bug: when I try looking at the junk, I keep getting points...).

Well done mate, well done!

Bavolis

Thanks for all the feedback! The team is just me for now (excluding the possibility of a musician). I don't see the game being finished soon, but I do think I'll be able to update the progress often. Now that I'm getting the swing of the engine, I can push the artwork harder.

As far as the voices - out of curiosity, did anyone else find the main character annoying to listen to? You can't tell from this demo, but the Crookians are quite small. I'm assuming you may have pictured him as some sort of "mean" sounding character from his looks. He doesn't look that way because he wants to, there's actually a good explanation that will come later.

About the coincidence of having the same joke as someone else - I think it's going to be inevitable since we probably all grew up with the same games and have similar inspirations.

For the points bug - whoops! That was an old test I left in by accident. The mass of heads in his junk bag too (obviously).

Darth Mandarb

I edited to actually include a second screenshot in your first post ...

The game looks/sounds interesting.  Good luck with it!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I notice bloodlustsoftware in your link.  Were you the same person that worked on that beat-em-up game where you take on midgets and the Troma-inspired games?  The art style used here is rather similar and the link adds to the connection.

Gilbert

If it's the same bloodlust software, it was even more famous with the revolutionary Famicom emulator Nesticle and Mega Drive emulator Genecist.

Bavolis

Thanks for updating with the second screen, I should have done that!

And yes, I am/was the creative side of Bloodlust Software. Icer Addis (my old programmer) handled all of the code and, of course, the emulators, but everything else usually fell on my plate excepting a couple of musicians or voice actors. Bloodlust was a response to the big anti-violent gaming push in the early to mid 90s, and it was done by two highschool students. The style was very over the top, relying on big amounts of shock value, so it's important to note that The Knobbly Crook is being made under my new banner "Gnarled Scar Manipulations" to set it apart from Bloodlust style. Eventually, I may go back to doing another Bloodlust game, I certainly have a bunch in mind, but finding a coder dedicated enough for those is a real nightmare. With AGS, I can do everything pretty much on my own except the music. So, to summarize:

Bloodlust Games: Offensive humor (to some), tons of gore, dated (but loveable?) graphics
Gnarled Scar Games: Dark humor, less gore, polished graphics, unique fantasy universe

voh

First off, your graphics are well mad, and seeing the Bloodlust link made me go "well, that explains why" :P

Good luck on it!
Still here.

Bavolis

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

One of my favorite parts of Executioners went something like...
Player: "Tell me where all you midgets are coming from or I'll give you to HIM" (points to Reaper).

Midget: "Two blocks down, take a left!"

Great, I'm a big fan of the gory/dark humor you've done in the past so good luck with this!

Bavolis

Tell me where all you midgets are coming from or I'll disembowel you...   ;)

Kweepa

Awesome, I loved Executioners. Except that boss that would grab you and puke on you.
I still have the game on a tape backup somewhere.
Looking forward to this one!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Bavolis

How am I ever going to bury that monstrosity if people keep confessing their love for it? ;)

I guess once you get past the hideous music, art, sound effects, cinematics, AI, and gameplay, it's not so bad! It holds a special, cancerous place in my heart too.

Back on topic, I should have some shots from the Knobbly Crook intro soon (after we move this weekend and get set up again).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk