The Knobbly Crook

Started by Bavolis, Thu 21/06/2007 05:55:35

Previous topic - Next topic

ManicMatt

We both started our projects in 2007! Little did we know we'd still be making them! I love the graphics! I watched the video, nice music! What's funny is I have a "Confess your sins" bit in my game too!

Bavolis

Go team slow-burn! I love confessions because, depending on the tone, they give the player permission to do naughty things.

Bavolis

One of the last puzzles in the Draft Horse episode, a pulley puzzle. Now I just need to figure out how to make a pulley puzzle work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl8WaKEds-s&feature=youtu.be&a

fischkopf

Ever though about doing a kickstarter campaign? This looks too awesome to be a free time only project, why not do it with kickstarter money? :grin:

Bavolis

The problem is I am working on this mostly by myself, so any Kickstarter funding would be "pay my salary for a year." I don't believe they allow that. So instead, I've got a Patreon up for donations. I'm hoping after the first episode (soon!) is released widely for free, people will be so eager for the second episode that I'll see some donations :)

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Bavolis on Mon 16/02/2015 22:35:30I'm hoping after the first episode (soon!) is released widely for free, people will be so eager for the second episode that I'll see some donations :)

Wrong. I'm already so eager (laugh)

Bavolis

Ep1 would have been out probably this week, but I decided to add a room instead of going cheap. And then that room needed an into cinematic. And an exit cinematic :)

Bavolis

I've got a playable beta with a complete walkthrough of Episode 1 up now. If anyone does play it and finds bugs, I'd be very grateful to you for reporting them. The "official" release should come within the next two weeks. I still need to do a foley pass, the cinematic ending, and some UI/bug tweaking. If you do decide to play through - i'd love to hear an estimate of how long it took to solve!

http://knobblycrook.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/KnobblyBeta-1.zip

Bavolis

And here's a video sample of the Knobbcrookian language you'll hear throughout the game. Always glopa. Glopa glopa glopa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAmYWe7Kvj0

arj0n

Lovely vid, love your art style!

Bavolis

NickyNyce

I really really love your art, and the game looks great, but after watching the video, I'm wondering if I can handle hearing the music and the language and reading all at once. Will it be possible to turn the language off?

Bavolis

Thanks! Yeah, I'll have two versions so those who don't want the speech can avoid it :)

Once I have all the episodes done (3-4?), I'll compile them into a Director's Cut and might even kickstart some real English voice acting as another option. We'll see how it goes. Note that the sound levels are all over the place right now, too - which makes it harder to focus. Everything is quite LOUD.

NickyNyce

The language is actually very cool. I think you did a great job with it. There's a super fine line between it working, and possibly being too much to take in. This has to be very difficult to do, so I applaud you for trying. Maybe like you said, if the volumes are done right, it may work out well. I'm certainly interested to see and hear the final result.

Cassiebsg

Actually I love it just the way it is, only thing I would change would be setting the music lower, but I do that to all games (if there's an option to do that).
The voice and text don't confuse me at all and I think the voice fits right in with the feel of the game. :-D
Of course, that might be because I am used to have subtitles on my movies and shows and have learned how to deal with it... Maybe it's more confusing for those that are not used to subtitles... (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Bavolis

One thing I do try to do is keep mostly the rhythm of English when I record them. So even when the voice tends to wander off the English, I pull it back in for a few words to let the brain catch up. I'll probably go back and find the ones that don't flow as well to match them better. I dropped the music volume by quite a bit this afternoon and it does help!

Calypso

Very interesting project, Bavolis - not just graphically, but also in terms of music and sound design. I've enjoyed listening to those strange voices, the volume level is probably the only thing that I would tamper with. May I ask what software do you use to edit the voices and what is your workflow (what effects do you apply, etc.)?
Chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized.

Bavolis

Thanks! I've been using Adobe Audition (I have a creative cloud subscription) - I don't generally apply too many effects. Usually just a pitch shift and sometimes reverb on the stranger voices. I usually try to EQ out the hiss/rumble, too, because my mic is pretty cheap :)

Calypso

Wow, you're fast :) Thanks for your answer! I should probably take a look at Adobe Audition then.
Wish you luck with your game - I love unique fantasy worlds that go against the flow. It reminds me a little of the "underground" games/interactive movies made by The Residents during the 90s (not that much because of the artwork, but because of the general feel).
Chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized.

Bavolis

One more before release. I've just got to tie a couple of things together and finish the sound, then Episode I will be ready to go!

Gummerlung Attack!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk