MAGS July: Fun Fair

Started by Klaus, Sun 01/07/2007 13:24:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month's guidelines are set by Mr. Buckéthead, winner of the last month's competition.

Topic: Fun Fair

- The game must take place at a fun fair/carnaval

- There must be a ride called "Zipper" (it's ok if it is broken)

- One puzzle must involve a glass of beer or a 30cm bratwurst

No further restrictions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All games need to be in by July 26th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Radiant

Dude, June was last month :)

Klaus

Quote from: Radiant on Sun 01/07/2007 14:47:38
Dude, June was last month :)

Oh yes: This contest is over. So sorry, no competition this month! ;) Great how I always manage to put in a flashy typo...

Edit (one week later): No postings so far ??? Hey, of course there is a competition this month!

Akatosh

Oh, that changes everything of course. Don't worry, if no-one enters, there'll probably be a Me Go Funfair!  ;)

Buckethead

Quote from: Akatosh on Sun 08/07/2007 16:24:49
Don't worry, if no-one enters, there'll probably be a Me Go Funfair!  ;)

oh great! Thank you. That would be cool. I hope someone else enters too though  :)

munchiez

Progress on my other game is slow (non existent) at the moment and I really like this topic, so I'll definitely be entering.

I'm about 80% into an as-yet untitled game, so hopefully this time I'll finally manage to finish it :)

Akatosh

Is it okay if the game doesn't start at the funfair?

Hudders

The ride called "The Zipper" - does it have to appear onscreen or can it just be alluded to?

Or appear on a poster?

deadsuperhero

Oh yes...
I actually wrote a short story with my brother called "Taft Goes to the Fun Fair"
Meaning I'm actually going to make a Taft game, as a MAGS, by golly!
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Buckethead

Quote from: Akatosh on Fri 13/07/2007 16:42:09
Is it okay if the game doesn't start at the funfair?

yes , but it should be playing at a fun fair for the biggest part of the story. But if you are planning a "Me go funfair" be my guest.  :)

@ Hudders:

it would be nice if you can include it as an actuall ride not a poster but how you do that you can see for yourself

this might help:

http://www.ride-extravaganza.com/rides/zipper/zipper_11.jpg

Brad Newsom

Hmmm, interesting. I think I have an idea of something I can do. :D

FSi++

Well, here's something like my game.

FSi's ACHE QUEST

<copypaste>
Ache Quest is a thrilling story of a boy without name but with Tourette’s.

His life was such a hell that when he read about retired wizard Grumpygad hiding from public in the middle of nowhere, in a castle surrounded by crocodile ditch, gargoyles and giant fun fair.
</copypaste>

If you spot some bugs, do tell me please.

Klaus

July 26th - the deadline - is getting closer, so you have 20 hours left from now (see timestamp of this posting) to submit your entries. Then the voting will begin...

KC

Here is my entry for JULY: FUN FAIR.   
"THE NIGHT OF THE ZIPPER OR METEOR"
or
"THE ZIPPER METEOR"

http://tarantulasoup.googlepages.com/thezippermeteor

You play Clarence, a reluctant hero.   
There is a screenshot when you click the link.
Thanks,

KC

FruitStripeApe

http://fruitstripeape.googlepages.com/Carni.rar

http://fruitstripeape.googlepages.com/

July Contest Fun Fair

AlienCarniage

My take on a fun fair.

You play Gruz.

Use the red orb to see. The partial ball to walk. and Bunny ear looking thing to talk. One bunny ear thing to use.

Test it all, above all have fun.

Thank you very much,
FruitStripeApe

munchiez

I finally got round to completing a game, here's my take on it :)

You Must Be This Tall

Download (3.39mb)

I think it's bug free, if you find any though please let me know!

Klaus

Wow - what a big number of entires during the last few hours now! That's ... unusual and exciting :) So now let's come to the another exciting (while usual) part:

For voting please visit the MAGS site or make your choice right here:

You Must Be This Tall by munchiez
The Zipper Meteor by KC
AlienCarniage by FruitStripeApe
Ache Quest by FSi

Please vote only once and be sure to have played all games before sending your voice! Good luck to all participants.

Buckethead

Wow nice to see that the topic came out pretty well. I shall have a look at all the entries and place my vote.  :D

Klaus

Time for voting is over now... The winner left all other entries faaaaaaaar behind by collecting even much more votes than all other entries received together... So there can only be one - at least this time:

The winner is munchiez and his first MAGS game You Must Be This Tall.

Congratulations to the winner, compliments for this nice entry and also many thanks to all other participants for joining the contest.

Brad Newsom

Congrats. By far the best entry out of the whole competition. Quality graphics, beautifully simple story, and fun fun fun! :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk