Earl Mansin: The Breakout 1.1

Started by HillBilly, Sun 01/07/2007 18:50:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Afflict

Was a nice little game. Very enjoyable. Nice Graphics.

Best words to sum it up is short and sweet.

Some notes to HillBilly
Spoiler

I have to say that some parts like the power switches when off the office light is still on and the background lights where the cells are are still on. I think there was one or two more but I cant remember them, the game is really kewl thanks for making it :)

Made in flash this game would be much smaller :) Maybe make a online playable version :D (Will have loads more exposure that way)

[close]

Nostradamus

Flash sucks.
95% of the people here have internet fast enough to download an AGS game. And it's only 66MB, that's not big.
What, are you on 56k?  and if so, it's really time to move on...

Also, I'd like to reply to dunnoson:

Quote from: dunnosonReplay value â€" none
WHAT??  This is a very enjoyable game and certainly can be played over several times. You claim you really loved the game and you give it high ratings, so why don't you wanna play a game you really loved again?

Afflict

Nostradamus, the reality is the AGS community is really not that large. I respect most of the members here and have grown to love this place. (I mean who doesn't)

Anyway the fact of the matter is Flash doesn't suck. I am on a DSL connection yeah  so whoopie I download pretty fast, the point is just if this game was in flash it would probably be like 5 meg and thousands more ppl will probably play it.

ildu

Children, children. Having something in Flash instead of some other engine wouldn't annul the space taken by the music and the voices. It would make the size marginally smaller in terms of graphical elements. However, I do agree that with Flash, the game would be more easily accessible to more people. And Flash does not suck, the majority of people using it do.

Nostradamus

There are 4140 registered users here plus dozens to hundreds of anonymous lurkers, so I'd say the community is pretty big. Adventure games isn't a popular genre in the big flash sites anyway and yeah since what gives the game its weight is mostly music and sounds it wouldn't be much smaller in flash. For freeware adventure game playing crowds, most of the potential is here. And so making it in flash wouldn't give it that much more exposure.

Afflict

I disagree fully with the previous statement. There are thousands of adventure & room escape games made in flash.

The file size will be reduced dramatically for various reasons. Eg:
* Vector graphics
* Sound & Graphic Compression
* swf vs exe file size
* no videos since the elements are vector and animated directly in flash so no avi files

Anyway the total music and voice files after extraction for this game is 11,434kb + 11,179 so thats between 22 - 23 mb the rest of the files amount to 138 mb

So you can by more than half the games original size with flash :P ( Total being about 160mb )

So Nostradamus my friend you say flash sucks yet it seems you don't know it well at all, I can say Lamborghini's have crappy handling and that would be about the same as your flash statement since Ive never driven a lambo.

Anyway I don't think this is the thread to be talking about this we are cluttering Hillbillies Game thread.

Edit : Just wanted to add that flash is expensive & AGS is free and for a free program it's amazing how awesome it is. By no means am I saying that Flash is better than AGS I was merely suggesting to Hillbillie (since the gfx looks like it was made in flash) to maybe do a flash version, for more exposure.

HillBilly

Plus it would be a total bitch to program.

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 17/07/2007 13:23:54
I haven't played v 1.1, but from what you describe it sounds great! I'm so happy that you keep supporting thegame after the initial release. Too often, it seems, do creators abandon their games once they're posted on the Completed Games forums, neglecting to make those little tweaks that would really help them come into their own. I'm glad you took my and others' feedback, and hope it has helped improve Earl Mansin.

I'm always open for things to improve, as long as it's on a small scale. Like certain responses for certain actions even if they don't work, but does make sense in a way. This is easy to add and hopefully decreases the frustration level of the player and improves value, so I'm all ears if someone got suggestions. I probably won't change major stuff like puzzles and such, though.

Quote from: dunnoson on Sun 22/07/2007 12:36:08Replay value â€" none

And here I was hoping the super secret alternative puzzle would be good for at least something.

Quote from: Nostradamus on Sun 22/07/2007 22:04:02There are 4140 registered users here plus dozens to hundreds of anonymous lurkers, so I'd say the community is pretty big. Adventure games isn't a popular genre in the big flash sites anyway and yeah since what gives the game its weight is mostly music and sounds it wouldn't be much smaller in flash. For freeware adventure game playing crowds, most of the potential is here. And so making it in flash wouldn't give it that much more exposure.

Plus for some reason people seem to be picking up on AGS games pretty fast. I think I got on MobyGames after three days, and the Czech really seem to appreciate independent adventure game development.

And I don't think this is a game for your average Newgrounds or 123-free-flash-games.info crowd.

Quote from: Afflict on Sun 22/07/2007 22:16:00Anyway the total music and voice files after extraction for this game is 11,434kb + 11,179 so thats between 22 - 23 mb the rest of the files amount to 138 mb

So you can by more than half the games original size with flash :P ( Total being about 160mb ) 

Even if I managed to half the size in flash, I doubt anyone would care to wait for a 70MB .swf to load. Few places I could upload it too, and it would run slow as hell fullscreen. And since WinRar/InstallCreator works really well with AGS games, it cut the down the download about 100MB. I think that's pretty good.

Brad Newsom

I'd say adventure game's should move over to flash more mainly because it will allow vector based imagrey while avoiding problems with resolution size. No lost in detail the larger the screen is. Also all information is in Vector format, reducing the size. So really, its more efficient to make it on flash. Then again, where do you start when making an adventure game in flash. Seriously, unless someone makes an adventure engine for flash and release a template, just like what AGS does, people won't bother. So your safe for now. :)

HillBilly

Quote from: Brad Newsom on Sun 22/07/2007 22:42:11
I'd say adventure game's should move over to flash more mainly because it will allow vector based imagrey while avoiding problems with resolution size. No lost in detail the larger the screen is. Also all information is in Vector format, reducing the size.

But the quality reduces the performance considerably on slower computers, especially fullscreen. Besides, if you run the game in a window as it is now, it's pretty much as good as a .swf file could get.

Quote from: Brad Newsom on Sun 22/07/2007 22:42:11So really, its more efficient to make it on flash. Then again, where do you start when making an adventure game in flash. Seriously, unless someone makes an adventure engine for flash and release a template, just like what AGS does, people won't bother. So your safe for now. :)

...And of course this too. Just thinking about programming the walking and inventory interactions makes my head spin. I haven't used actionscript since 2004, and I think they've moved up 2 versions since then.

Afflict

http://lassie.gmacwill.com/

Tada Flash AGS ;) anyway I mean haven't you guys seen Nearly Departed? Or What makes you tick ?

Anyway I'm all for indy development heck, just haven't got around to mess around with Lassie yet.
The guy doesn't mind people using it for indy games.

Hillbilly seriously I think that the ppl on new grounds would love this to be honest you might even get  a daily feature which will get you probably 100k plus views :P Also the size will be more than half probably 30 - 40 mb

Depends on how you build it. But check out Lassie you might enjoy it ;)

ildu

To me Newgrounds has always been a bit of a trashy place. It'd be like pimping your fat wife on the streets.

Nostradamus

When I said Flash sucks, I didn't mean flash sucked as a whole, just that it sucks for adventure games.
First as far as my experience goes you can't save games in flash, and that's crucial in an adventure game. And AGS is designed for making adventure games, and is much easier to make a game than Flash, where you have to make everything from scratch.
If Lassie is so great howcome there's only FOUR complete games made in it?   

And there aren't thousands of flash adventure games, there are only a few. Most games under the "adventure" category in flash sites are actually platform, shooters and other forms of action games. And I don't consider all those escape the room games full adventure games, they're more like One room hour games, with a play time of maximum 5-10 minutes with an overused unoriginal concept, they don't really count.

This is the AGS forum, and people here like to make adventure games with AGS, because it's easier to make games with it and friendlier to play adventure games with.
Basically what you're doing here is like going to an automated machines factory that makes a product and preaching how much better it will be if they change their method to making the products by hand only without machines to help them.
It's a lost cause - Flash is not better than AGS for adventure games in any way. Now let's give this a rest, Hillbilly already said he wouldn't do the game in Flash.

MYKAYEL

Flash is cool for some interactive movies and such, but NOT for adventure games. I'd pick AGS over FLASH anyday. :|

Svartberg

Kudos for the 1.1 patch mate.
But how come 1.1 is 66megs compared to 1.0 which was 125megs ?

Afflict

Quote from: Nostradamus on Mon 23/07/2007 09:26:40
And AGS is designed for making adventure games, and is much easier to make a game than Flash, where you have to make everything from scratch.

Dude I didn't say flash is better your getting it wrong your obviously not reading any of my posts. I merely suggested that putting it in flash would save loads of filesize and have more exposure since the game was solved in about 15 minutes anyway. A suggestion that is fair simply because I am sure Hillbilly has flash.

When I said Flash sucks, I didn't mean flash sucked as a whole, just that it sucks for adventure games.
First as far as my experience goes you can't save games in flash, and that's crucial in an adventure game.

Yes you can save in flash like I said you obviously don't know it that well.

If Lassie is so great howcome there's only FOUR complete games made in it?   

Well for the most part I will assume because no one is gonna buy flash to use lassie unless they already own flash. :P That's sort of logical...

And there aren't thousands of flash adventure games, there are only a few. Most games under the "adventure" category in flash sites are actually platform, shooters and other forms of action games. And I don't consider all those escape the room games full adventure games, they're more like One room hour games, with a play time of maximum 5-10 minutes with an overused unoriginal concept, they don't really count.

MMM well to be honest most of the AGS games get solved in a couple of minutes... And no there are some of the most amazing adventure games I have ever played made in flash. Not just that I actually played some games that might even evolve the genre as a whole.

This is the AGS forum, and people here like to make adventure games with AGS, because it's easier to make games with it and friendlier to play adventure games with.
Basically what you're doing here is like going to an automated machines factory that makes a product and preaching how much better it will be if they change their method to making the products by hand only without machines to help them.

No what I am doing here was simply as stated above made a suggestion to Hillbilly. Then you had a issue about it, I clearly stated that I don't think flash is better than AGS but you seem to miss that the whole time. I think absolutely that AGS is the best Free Indi development tool out there for Adventure games. It has a very good support community in place, keeps on getting updated and upgraded and is completely free. You go on insulting flash, for no reason... I take offense to that even though we are in the AGS forum. I did not tell the whole community to flock over to Lassie and start making Flash games I merely pointed someone with the interest towards the tool. Just like I would point anyone who would like to make adventure games to AGS.

It's a lost cause - Flash is not better than AGS for adventure games in any way. Now let's give this a rest, Hillbilly already said he wouldn't do the game in Flash.

I simply request for you to read what was written. I thought this flash thing was put to rest a couple of posts ago, your the one digging it up.

*Here is the part where I apologize to Hillbilly for the clutter on his game thread.

Quote from: Svartberg on Mon 23/07/2007 13:04:34

The compressed version is 66 Mb Uncompressed its 160mb, I am not sure why the one you have is 125mb  ???

Hillbilly?

HillBilly

Quote from: Afflict on Mon 23/07/2007 13:33:17*Here is the part where I apologize to Hillbilly for the clutter on his game thread.

I shall crush you with the power of thousand suns.

Quote from: Afflict on Mon 23/07/2007 13:33:17
Quote from: Svartberg on Mon 23/07/2007 13:04:34

The compressed version is 66 Mb Uncompressed its 160mb, I am not sure why the one you have is 125mb  ???

Hillbilly?

1.0 was 128MB zipped.
1.1 is 66MB zipped.

And the drastic file reduction comes from compressing the speech and videos. Your tracks suffered no damage, Svartberg. And most can't probably notice too much of a difference on the speech either.

Goncis

Well  On plnehry.cz they are saying the game is pretty good. Plot not amazing, but great graphic and audio professional dabbing. Recommandation for everyone. But that it has some bugs :) If you would like complete translation. write me on ICQ 263796664
And I must admit that this is a great game !! Now Im stuck but I wont look into solution, it will ruin the fun of succes .. Im realy glad to play this Thnx

HillBilly

Quote from: Goncis on Thu 16/08/2007 16:47:53If you would like complete translation. write me on ICQ 263796664

Of the review? I don't have ICQ but I'd love to know what it says completely.

CoffeeBob

Just finished this the other day. Great game, HillBilly! Although it was shorter than I expected, it was great fun while it lasted. Awesome art-style too. :)

robvalue

Thank you for making this game. It is one of the best and most professional games I have played on here.

I loved the graphics, the voice acting and the puzzles. Everything about it!

I found the puzzles logical and solved them without resorting to a walthrough which I think is a sign of a well designed game. Hope to see more from you!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk