Strangeland - Psychological Horror Adventure Game

Started by Dualnames, Tue 25/05/2021 14:13:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch

How did I not know about this game until this moment?  :shocked:

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

ToeKnee

Congrats, what an effort. The RAIN looks really wonderful!!
If it’s not broken, let’s fix it till it is...!

heltenjon

I've spent the last couple of days playing and completing this. Now I'll try it with annotations and commentary and hunt down those last achievements I missed because I solved some puzzles in an optional way.  (nod)

The game is very good. The production values are high, with great art, animation, sound, music, voice acting and options. The story is surreal and filled with allusions and symbols, but it's not necessary to have a master's degree in lit to have fun with the game. However, the allusions hit my home territory, so to speak, and I enjoyed seeing another take on what for me was familiar characters.

Most of the time, I knew what to do next, but a couple of times I didn't. Some of the puzzles required me to take a break and simply think through what I'd done so far...and then I'd come up with a suitable plan. I got through the game and found the different endings without using the hint system, but that doesn't mean the game's too easy. It took me a fair few hours, and some of the tasks are quite difficult.

Recommended. However, the game deals with difficult topics, such as death, suicide, grief/depression and hints at more if you interpret the symbols/metaphors in certain ways. It's interesting how it addresses some of the same topics as If on a Winter's Night, Four Travelers, but in quite a different manner.

Dualnames

I'm glad to hear you got a positive reaction to it,
Spoiler
the allusions to myths and metaphors eventually die out as the game becomes more visceral!
[close]
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

heltenjon

Yeah, I firmly believe that an allegory only works if the story (game) is functional on the "first floor of reality", then the interpretations and symbolism can come as a bonus. Also, it's kind of cool to see some of the quotes in English and hear how they sound, when I'm familiar with them only in Nordic languages.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk