A Tale Of Two Kingdoms (Deluxe Edition)

Started by Radiant, Mon 16/07/2007 00:55:56

Previous topic - Next topic

deadsuperhero

It's great, but there's a very bad problem...Saving.
I got pretty far, saved, then quit.
I start it up again, and now my saves are gone.
What happened?
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Radiant

Quote from: Alliance on Mon 16/07/2007 21:07:35
What happened?
That's very odd. Perhaps your disk was full? Did you run the game from the zipfile? Perhaps the saves ended up in the wrong folder for some reason? Try running a search (there should be a search button in your START menu) for files named "agssave".

Storygamer

I'm enjoying this game immensely.  I have found a number of bugs and mistakes.  Most of them don't really detract from the game experience, but there are a couple of things you might want to change.

First off, the two biggest problems--there are at least two spots where you can ask a question in dialogue that should not be available without more information (I'm only up to Chapter 4 so there might be more).  These are the spots, enclosed in spoilers:

Spoiler
When I speak to the jeweller woman after re-entering Carbonek, as soon as I introduce myself as Brann, 2 dialogue options become available which refer to the fact that she has my magic belt--in spite of the fact that the belt is NOT in the shop and the woman has NOT mentioned it, so I have no way of knowing she has it.

When I speak to the cider woman in the village in the 4th Chapter, I am given the option "Who is the robed girl I saw in the orchard?", in spite of the fact that I had not yet visited the orchard that day and had never seen any robed girl there.
[close]

Second, the castle escape--
Spoiler
The stairs you have to take after exiting your room are nearly impossible to notice.  I tried everything after leaving that room, and finally went to check the Hints and Tips forums.  Even AFTER reading that there was a second set of stairs near the guest room, I still couldn't find them right away.  I would strongly suggest making those stairs more visible or noticeable somehow
[close]

Third, there's a rather funny bug during the castle escape.  When standing in the barracks, if you use the vase on Gereint or the guard, it does display the appropriate message--but the bug is that before that message is displayed, Gereint or the guard will say whatever it is they would have said if you used the vase on them earlier.  The result is that if I use the vase on Gereint, for example, he says "I think that vase is from the king's chamber," in spite of the fact that he's not supposed to even know I'm there.

Finally, with regards to the language--I see a lot of complaints here about it but I actually like the medieval-ish language.  The only problem with it is that every now and then you use a word wrong.  For example, the bridge scout says "ought" when I think you mean "nought".  Also, Gereint says "three years hence" when referring to an event three years ago.  "Hence" means "after" or "in the future".

Other than those things, this game is amazing!  One of the best AGS games I have ever played.  That intro movie is terrific, it really sets the scene and draws the player in.  The story is fun, the puzzles are challenging but not frustrating, the graphcis and music are superb, and the game is just overall fantastic.

deadsuperhero

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 16/07/2007 21:32:16
Quote from: Alliance on Mon 16/07/2007 21:07:35
What happened?
That's very odd. Perhaps your disk was full? Did you run the game from the zipfile? Perhaps the saves ended up in the wrong folder for some reason? Try running a search (there should be a search button in your START menu) for files named "agssave".
No, I put it all in its own folder.

Spoiler
Also, I can't find the coin anymore. It's just gone, and I think I need it to make a wish. Do I have to restart?
[close]
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Radiant

Quote from: Alliance on Mon 16/07/2007 22:13:13
Spoiler
Also, I can't find the coin anymore. It's just gone, and I think I need it to make a wish. Do I have to restart?
[close]
No.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Ah, got to playing to it, finally.

What can I say? Everything about it is absolutely gorgeous. Characters, story, gameplay (very King's Quest!), art, music, dialog... congratulations on a job marvelously done.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

i k a r i

Whyyyy..

I've gotta say I was enjoying this AGS game like no other,
Spoiler
I made it to the camp after escaping
[close]

And then after saving my progress went to work...
When I arrived all my savegames were gone!, I was wondering if any of the game developers could give me a savegame up to this state. The game closed correctly so there is no bug I could report, well, I think I'll do it all again, its not much if I already know what to do. And I'll get to hear the music again  ;D

Thanks for this amazing game, no really, thanks.
QuoteWell, one think is not liking him, and the other is making humour of the retarder people!
Nacho speaking of Bush.

m0ds

Save game issue sounds similar to the problem we had with the FoY demo, which occured through the use of an EXE installer. Once that issue is corrected, I will definitely download!!!!

Khris

This game is really great, I especially love the music.

(Unnecessary) Installers always bug me, so the first thing I did after installing was copying everything to another directory and uninstalling it. I'm really glad that saved my savegames, too :D

jenimad

I'm having a good time playing the game so far, even if I keep getting stuck (probably more my issue than the game's)-

I did come across a bug, though (cut for mostly non-spoilers, but I'll try and be careful)-

Spoiler
For some reason the game's chapters went a little wonky on me- I was in Chapter Three, it gave me a cutscene of the two people talking about things I didn't know yet, and I started Chapter Five... only to shortly get bumped back, starting Chapter Six.  I don't know if that messed something up, but it was strange.  I'm not quite sure how I did it even.
[close]

Radiant

Quote from: m0ds on Tue 17/07/2007 01:52:00
Save game issue sounds similar to the problem we had with the FoY demo, which occured through the use of an EXE installer.
Could you please elaborate?

If the .EXE installer is the problem, we also have a nice ZIP file to install the game.

http://crystalshard.net/atotk.php?page=down

(I've updated the AGS games.php page to point there)

buloght

Quote from: Radiant on Tue 17/07/2007 09:08:00
Quote from: m0ds on Tue 17/07/2007 01:52:00
Save game issue sounds similar to the problem we had with the FoY demo, which occured through the use of an EXE installer.
Could you please elaborate?

If the .EXE installer is the problem, we also have a nice ZIP file to install the game.

http://crystalshard.net/atotk.php?page=down

(I've updated the AGS games.php page to point there)

This happened to me too. When you immediately say "play game now" after intalling without exiting the installer, it loses your save games. But only the first time when you exit and go back to play. After that saving is no problem. So just don't play the game immediately, quit the installer (after installing and go in through the desktop item or directory), The save games only dissapeared that first time (when using the installer the play now) ... if you know what I mean.  After that saving is fine.

[edit] Great game so far, very polished and the amount of effort is tremendous (and I believe I recognised one sprite of big brother). The art is great, slightly inconsistent, but that is too be expected for such a large number of people working on it. Some rooms are weaker than others and slightly different in style and texturing. so with portraits, but it is slight and doesn't make the game feel any less 'together'.

There are confusing things. For one:
Spoiler

the jeweller, chancellor and stable boy have no idea who I am after I go back into the city which is unrealistic since you dined with them the previous day and talked to him in the stables.
[close]
The puzzles, too
Spoiler

the comb fits in the hole but the sword blade not, that is weird. When standing in the corner of the room (at night in castle) to avoid the guard who checks on the falling statue, it's probably just room design, but if he didn't see you there he is blind. A large dark shadow (like in desperados or commandos) would have been perfect too. The jumping in the water from the pier was weird too, it happened more by accident than me having the intention.  Also the vase with scepter, I doubt a king would put a scepter just there, it was just weird, felt like a forced puzzle.
[close]

And I wondered why
Spoiler

I just couldn't swim back into the city  :D (reach)
[close]

Anyways, just some illogical things. It's a great game, it has a real professional feel. Congratulations on finishing such a big and beautiful game, team radiant.

A Tale of Two Kingdoms is an epic faerie tale, in the classic style of the famous Sierra and LucasArts graphical adventure games
I'd say 100% sierra and 0% lucasarts.

SSH

Its something to do with the working directory when the game is launched, I think

paolo

The game has just crashed on me. Here's what I did:

Spoiler

* Talk to druid
* Select "Could you do something for me..."
* Go to inventory
* Click on hand icon
* Click on key
* Inventory remains open with message "You can ... like" obscured underneath it.
* Click to advance dialog.
* Game crashes with:

---------------------------
Adventure Game Studio
An internal error has occured. Please note down the following information.
If the problem persists, contact Chris Jones.
(ACI version 2.72.920)

Error: run_text_script1: error -6 running function 'unhandled_event':
Error: Array index out of bounds (index: -1, bounds: 0..99)
in Global script (line 2620)

OK   
[close]

And I agree on the language - I'll comment more when I've finished the game. However, Storygamer, "ought" is OK ("ought" or "aught" means "anything", so "have you heard ought" is correct).

Radiant

Quote from: paolo on Tue 17/07/2007 15:01:57

Thanks for pointing this out. We shall release a v1.1 update shortly to fix this, and other miscellaneous issues brought up.

Note that this issue can be bypassed by clicking the arrow, rather than the hand, and then closing the inventory; thus it should not impede your progress.

paolo

Quote from: Radiant on Tue 17/07/2007 15:34:12
Quote from: paolo on Tue 17/07/2007 15:01:57

Thanks for pointing this out. We shall release a v1.1 update shortly to fix this, and other miscellaneous issues brought up.

Note that this issue can be bypassed by clicking the arrow, rather than the hand, and then closing the inventory; thus it should not impede your progress.

That's good - I look forward to seeing the update. I suppose it won't work with games saved in v1.

Unfortunately the arrow does not do what I want - when I
Spoiler
click on the arrow and then the item, I temporarily have the item, but if I use the hand, I get a message that looks as if there is a message saying that the druid is giving the item to me [I'm particularly keen to get hold of that key and the self-bored stone], so the effect is not the same.
[close]
Thanks.

Update: Ah, I see now - I just need to use the item on myself.

i k a r i

Buloght

Spoiler
they can't recognize you because of the spell your friend casted on you, the spell to ignore your identity
[close]

Spoiler
When you say he can't swim back you mean when he gets tired of swimming much?, it happens after 8 screens (I think)
[close]
QuoteWell, one think is not liking him, and the other is making humour of the retarder people!
Nacho speaking of Bush.

buloght

Quote from: i k a r i on Tue 17/07/2007 17:19:44
Buloght

Spoiler
they can't recognize you because of the spell your friend casted on you, the spell to ignore your identity
[close]

I missed that in the dialoque, my mistake then :)

Balin

I remembered reading about this on the AGDI forums a long while back, and had semi-forgotten about it. Glad to see that it's finished! As of this post I'm about 60% done downloading, and I can't wait to play it!  8)

pslim

Just wanted to let you know that my friend and I are playing this right now and we're really enjoying it. I plan to give a more useful review when I'm finished.  :=

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk