A Tale Of Two Kingdoms (Deluxe Edition)

Started by Radiant, Mon 16/07/2007 00:55:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Danyul

Just completed the game tonight.
Your game is one of the best i've played.
I'm currently replaying to try and achieve 100% stats.  ;)
Ahh shaddapa ya face.

GradyTn

Finished your game and there is much to congratulate you for. Good music, graphics, animation, a really well put together game, professional in many ways. Very reminiscent of the King's Quest genre. However, I find myself walking away from it somewhat unenthusiastically. Perhaps it was that some of the puzzles were somewhat obscure, or that having to fight my way through some or searching to find what to do next fractured the flow of the narrative, or that there was too much dying (never liked that in older games) or, at least in one case, performing the correct action to complete a chapter was a problem.

I should say that I was never a fan of the King's Quest genre so that should put things into perspective. Nonetheless, this is a really fine effort, a top notch creation in many ways, and I'll be playing your next one.

Thanks and kudos.

pslim

I just managed to crash the game.  The error message is:

"in Room script (line 79)"
Error: SetCharacterSpeechView invalid view number

What I did:

Spoiler
I tried to talk to the goblin wearing boxer shorts in the room south of the Druid's home after entering the hamlet disguised as a goblin.
[close]

TheJBurger

Warning: Very long post.

Congratulations on finishing the game. You've really managed to create a King's Quest--Quest For Glory hybrid, and pulled it off very nicely. Perhaps the most impressive thing is that you succeeded in creating a living, breathing world, with characters, animals, a long history, and managed to pull it around a well-told story with very enjoyable open-ended gameplay. I noticed for the first time in a long time that I was having fun just exploring in an adventure game, and just doing random things. When I got stuck, I moved on to another problem; there was always so much to do.

Most of the puzzles seemed very logical, and in different varieties. However one puzzle seemed kind of illogical to me:
Spoiler
I couldn't even find the hole containing the comb, and even if I did find it (without help) why would I be looking for the comb there?
[close]

I just finished the game on a lesser ending and I'm going to try and get a better ending. However, I thought I'd post my comments now.

I have a really long list of critique, comments, and suggestions. Most of these are VERY minor, such as a walkbehind that is off by 5-10 pixels, but I thought I'd list them anyway since it would help perfect the game, even in the tiniest manor.

Please note, the game is amazing and these are all minor details, only offered as constructive criticism.

Here it goes:
(Spoilers below)
Spoiler

- The intro, though necessary to explain the story and set up a premise, felt too long with too much dialogue.

- The autosaves were well implemented and I appreciated them.

- When trying to escape from the castle at the beginning, I found it kind of annoying that when clicking on certain hotspots you would get spotted by the guard instantly. While on the other hand, waiting 5 seconds would not get you spotted.

- In the castle bedroom (when you are a prisoner) the guard  walks in front of the stone wall on the right. The walkbehind is incomplete.

- When you talk to the guard in basement next to the general when sneaking, the general still says the castle guards are not to talk to you.

- Interacting with doors gives messages that you tried to open them while not even walking to them. This isn't a bad design element; it's nice to not have to wait for the character to walk, except it makes no sense especially when you're sneaking around the castle and outside of town.

- At the pier, the ocean stops animating sometimes and it looks awkward.

- The music in the camp abruptly stops (intentionally I presume) and in my opinion, it gets a little irritating.

- Sometimes swimming upwards/downwards will break a walkbehind area in front of a rock. The character will be drawn in front of the rock.

- In the scene with the shipwrecked boat you can walk directly on what appears to be a cliff from the beach. Intentional?

- When controling other characters, they say "You cannot use the INVENTORY ITEM on itself." But I think this should be first person because you have switched characters.

- When going down in the inventory, the UP button appears. But when you go UP again, it stays there even when you can't go up. Clicking UP again will cause the button to disappear.

- After the storm outside the Jeweler's, I could walk up and down the cliff and never fall off.

- I could talk to the cider woman about the girl in robes before I ever even saw the girl.

- When having the druid "touch" the stone, he says a message that is hidden behind the GUI, then he says he cannot use the item on itself.

- When showing the sword to the blacksmith, he says "Seeing the quality of the blade, the blacksmith nods appreciatively." The narrarator should be saying this instead.

- After getting the Dark Lord's help, you can ask for it again and repeat the same conversation to no avail.

- When using items on the mouse (animal), the mouse's name does not exist, for example "There is no need to slash the  with your sword."

- When givng the wool cloak to the goblin (and perhaps other chars?) they say, "I'm sorry sir, but I cannot take back used clothing." This is the tailor's line. Intentional?

- When giving gold to the prisoned tailor, he still acts as if he was in the shop.
[close]

In no way really did any of those detract from the overall experience. I haven't had this much fun in an adventure game in a long time.

Thanks for making it.

Radiant

Thank you for your comments. I'll look into that, and those bugs seem easily fixable. No matter how much you test a game, once it goes live and hundreds of people start playing it, details will come up :)

Quote from: TheJBurger on Wed 18/07/2007 08:11:54
Spoiler
I couldn't even find the hole containing the comb, and even if I did find it (without help) why would I be looking for the comb there?
[close]
The pooka put it there. Blossom can tell you this.

Charity

Alright, finished it on (one of?) the 'good but with some loose ends' endings and I wanted to report some glitches.

Spoiler
If you give gifts to the Pooka inside the fairy kingdom, after having given her a previous gift, the next time you enter you will need to pass the test again, and if you talk to your bard friend, he will tell that your next goal should be to enter there, instead of to rescue the druid village  whatever your actual current task is.

There were also a ton of glitches during the rabbit quest.  If you walk off the cliff by the jeweller's, as a rabbit, instead of dying you turn back into a human, and if you return to the scarecrow scene, it starts the next chapter automatically.  (This part almost felt scripted, as no other point that I know of allowed you to jump off the cliff and live, and I think there was even a message of some sort, but the plot never seemed to suggest that long falls reverse transformations, and there were the ither glitches.)
If you talk to the castle guard as a rabbit you get to reenter and see the princess again, still as a rabbit, though of course you can't survive.
Sometimes during the fox chase the fox seems to disappear.  Not sure what causes this.
Glitches if you enter the scarecrow scene with a fox already chases you.
You can still climb through the window into the monastery, but the fox still follows you.
Rabbit form won't cross the bridge when being chased.  Or won't always?  Some people seem to have managed it.  I used a lilypad.
I didn't notice any glitches on the other side of the river.

Unrelated to the rabbit, if you give the key to the monk and then ask him to open the case with the orb, he still says that the key was lost.  Also, if you use the key to steal the orb, and then give the key to the monk, you still get honor points.  I don't know if that was intentional or not, but it's awesome.
[close]

Iv4n

Wow! This game is out already? I still can't believe! I was waiting for it and no word for it here or in the forums... But that doesn't matter. I'll now download, turn off the lights... thank you thank you thank youuuuuuuuuu :)

ManicMatt

I've had a quick go on this, looking good! Is this game was any further polished I'd go blind!   ;)

Im still at the start, but I was enjoying the music when..

Spoiler
I was playing the board game. Beat him on my third go! It's that reversi game or whatever it's called as a triangle! Interesting! Also surprised to find a game in a game! Who do you think you are, Rockstar?   :P  :)
[close]

Kurdt

I guess like most other people I'm amazed this is out already. I guess I don't really frequent places where there would be anything in the way of news updates for the game, so I had no idea as to how far along (or if it was going along at all) the game was. I haven't downloaded it yet, but I'll do so the first chance I get and let you know what I think. Congrats on adding another cool game on the pile of indie adventures. There's nothing quite like the completion of something you've spent a lot of time working on.
"The reason why so few good books are written is that so few people who can write know anything."

buloght

Well I finished (not at 100%). Really nice game. Am I glad I did because that 3d cutscene is awesome, da_elf did it right?

Spoiler

Maeldun calls himself a warrior but the game freezes when one goblin is on screen see you and it kills you without you even having a chance to react. On the rope ladder puzzle, would have been much more logical with Branwyn standing on your shoulders, throwing a dagger is an odd solution.
[close]

All in all, an ags classic. I think the most important things for me that made the game slightly less than it could have been, was the inconsistent art (bgs and portraits especially, and I recognised some of your actors, especially the bunny) and the trial and error.

Anyways, I'm only commmenting so because this is definitely one of the most complete and awesome ags games yet.  The depth of plot and characters are deep man :)  Goodluck with your future games, team radiant, it will surely be awesomer even.

Radiant

Quote from: buloght on Fri 20/07/2007 12:15:30
Spoiler

Maeldun calls himself a warrior
[close]

Spoiler

As hinted at by the backstory and by Branwyn's dialogues, he's not really the warrior of the group - she is. The mercenary troop is hers; Maeldun is more of a diplomatic and/or sneaky kind of guy.
[close]

buloght

I know that radiant, but
Spoiler

he is still a warrior, he must be trained, he carries with him a sword (and dagger), he should at least be able to defend himself, he can't be that hepless. I don't believe that. He sparred with the goblin leader (even though he won via sneaky method). A warrior is a still a warrior, thiefs and assasins would defend themselves if trapped.
[close]

Fizzii

Spoiler
The goblin could always call for the rest of the army to back him up ;) Maeldun is trained, but nowhere near as good a fighter as Branwyn or Geraint
[close]

TheJBurger

I still haven't beat it (stuck in chapter 8 ), but no one is helping me in the hints & tips thread, or they don't know how.
Spoiler
I'm stuck on the staircase in the castle after defeating the monster in the bedroom. I don't know how to wake the princess up or open the gate. And I don't have the flute, so am I in a walking dead?
[close]

I'd also like to report some more bugs. Apologies if these have already been said:
Spoiler

- When being taken into the castle by the guards after revealing your identity, the walkbehind on the right of the castle wall is incomplete.

- In the later chapters, sometimes the man in the camp tells you the wrong thing when you ask him what to do. I found one cause of this; (CHAPTER 6) if you give back the goblin crown to the goblins, then the man tells you to go back to the forest village and look for something the goblins left.

- When transformed into a rabbit, I proceeded to cross the stone bridge and while there, the fox disappeared from my trail. I went back to the scarecrow and the "Uh oh! A fox!" message popped up again. A fox was nowhere to be seen but it ate me anyway after 5 seconds.

- When going into the goblin camp as a rabbit, the goblins still act is if you were a human by greeting you.

- As a rabbit, going south from the goblin camp turns you into a human before the hill, and then back into a rabbit at the top of the hill.

- Talking to the rope ladder gives the response, "Strangely enough, the  does not respond."

- Talking to the statue on the castle stairs gives the response, "Strangely enough, the  does not respond."
[close]

snoopy

I had the same save game problem
but i did what Radiant on the A tale of two kingdoms message board said and renamed files starting with 0
and so far it worked.
Thanks Radiant
Just wondering do you have vista because i have vista and maybe this save game deleting only happens on vista?

John

Meerbat

buloght -
The jack rabbit? I don't even remember which page I got it from, but it wasn't Durer  ;) Though, yes, pretty much all of the reference pictures I used were google-able... I was hoping it would be more amusing than detracting to sometimes use familiar faces (it was also easier for me to find suitable models in the right poses).

Charity

Pretty major bug.  Kestrel mentioned this in the hints thread, but I thought it should go here, just in case.

Spoiler
After finding the the assassin and showing the truth gem to the princess, the cutscene plays out like normal until the princess says it's time to apprehend the assassin, at which point the game crashes with this message:

Error: run_text_script1: error -6 running function 'on_call':
Error: Script appears to be hung (150001 while loop iterations without an update) in Room 81 script (line 41)
[close]

Fizzii

Yes, it has been fixed in v1.1, which hopefully will be put up soon.

GreenBoy

Great game fully enjoying it.  Though I have noticed a few bugs.

Spoiler
When you show the scarecrow your dagger he uses the same reply as the blacksmith.
And in the 4th Chapter when you meet the druid a second time and click talk on him he starts using the same dialog as your Bard friend.   (I forget his name)

Very weird.
[close]

Fizzii

Version 1.1 has been released! Reported bugs and crashes have been fixed up to yesterday, and there should no longer be any show stoppers.

Download here

(The installer still says version 1.0, but it is actually version 1.1)

Edit: For those who already have downloaded v1.0 of the game and don't want to redownload the full 95Mb, the .exe can be downloaded here (22.17MB):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NEEUX950

Unzip the file and replace the existing .exe in the ATOTK folder with this file. (Note: Saved games WILL NOT work with this file.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk