And so after much deliberation (Smoking!)

Started by SinSin, Sat 18/08/2007 21:33:03

Previous topic - Next topic

SinSin

And so after 9 years of smoking 20 a day (since i was 14 ) I have finally kicked the habbit and can i just say, I feel healthy already. I started thinking about it when my daughter was born but the final straw was at Brittens. (note to all Britteneers its not you its me )
I realised while I was there just what it was doing, as climbing a hill and smoking just dont mix lol.
This is the end of my 4th week of no nicotine and not a single relapse and i was just wondering if anyone else has just quit be it the smoking ban or personal preference.
Currently working on a project!

space boy

The best way to quit smoking is not to start in the first place(you probably heard that a million times but it's true). Yeah, I never smoked and never intend to and I can't stand when people are smoking near me.

Good job, keep going.

voh

Quote from: space boy on Sat 18/08/2007 21:42:24
The best way to quit smoking is not to start in the first place.

Many times heard, still the most retarded thing I've ever heard. How do you quit something you've never started doing? It's such a popular phrase, and every non-smoker throws it around like it's an absolute truth but it's utter crud.

The best way to quit smoking is subjective.

I went cold turkey, but after 9 months I willingly went back to smoking a pack. I just didn't *want* to quit. If I'm to quit, there's going to have to be a point where my reason to quit isn't temporary (just don't have the cash, part of a bet, whatever) but permanent and motivational enough.

So far, I'm still smoking. I know it's bad but it's my own choice to do unhealthy things.
Still here.

Evil

I agree. I don't smoke all the time, but I very much enjoy it recreationally. If there was a point where the physical effects of smoking got to me, like shortness of breath or even cancer, I would stop. But I'm already subjected to smoke all the time, so smoking a little bit can't hurt me much more.

Plus, flavored tobacco is delicious. ^_^

space boy

Quote from: voh on Sat 18/08/2007 22:25:29
Quote from: space boy on Sat 18/08/2007 21:42:24
The best way to quit smoking is not to start in the first place.

Many times heard, still the most retarded thing I've ever heard. How do you quit something you've never started doing?

In other words the best way to solve a problem is to not create the problem. That's the big idea behind it.
It's not supposed to be taken literally. The reason it's phrased that way is because people usually ask "how do i quit smoking?". And the answer is "you shouldn't have started in the first place". Get it?

Now excuse me while i poke this land mine. dur! o.O

Quote from: Evil on Sat 18/08/2007 22:56:16
If there was a point where the physical effects of smoking got to me, like shortness of breath or even cancer, I would stop.

That's kind of like jumping from an airplane and when you're 10 meters above the ground you say "oh my, i suppose its time to open my parachute!". But yeah, your choice and all that stuff.

MillsJROSS

I think the best way to quit smoking is to start smoking and then quit. And then people are all like, "I'm proud of you, you finally did it!" Whereas, the non-smokers don't get such a nice pat on the back. I want my congratulatory "you quit smoking, hurrah!" speech given to me. So I guess I should start smoking then...

I don't agree with smoking, but then I tend to overeat a bit, which is probably far more unhealthy. Yet perfect strangers are more than willing to tell a smoker they should quit smoking, but if you're a little chubby, no stranger says a word. Of course, arguably, smoking does cause health risks to others, whereas indulging in food doesn't usually have any affect on casual observers.

But most of the people I know who have quit smoking quit cold turkey. When I quit drinking coffee (which, I've gotten back into, but I stopped for three years), I stopped cold turkey. I had the biggest headache for about two days, but I felt great afterwards. Now, flushing out nicotine probably takes a little longer, but same concept.

I think regardless of how you quit, you'll never stop craving cigarettes. You'll have more control over your addictions, and be able to say no much easier as time goes by, but there will always be a lingering desire to start up again. Of course, never having smoked more than a pack of cigarettes in my lifetime, I really know nothing about what I'm talking about. But what else is new.

-MillsJROSS

m0ds

Glad you managed to beat it bud! Something I still hope to tackle myself too - you think your mountaineering efforts were bad? :P I can see Mill's point about there being a possiblity of wanting to start up again - if you're able to beat that then that's great!! My dad hasn't touched a ciggy since he was hypnotised!! But that's not the cold turkey approach. I'd like to go cold turkey to prove to myself I can, like Mills says, have control over my cravings. But I think I will always want to treat myself to the occasional cigarette :o Anyway congratulations!

Ghost

Quote from: m0ds on Sun 19/08/2007 01:24:49
I'd like to go cold turkey to prove to myself I can, like Mills says, have control over my cravings. But I think I will always want to treat myself to the occasional cigarette.

Teetotallers will tell you that any addiction will always be with you, dormant. The fight against your drug of choice continues every day. So as a matter of fact an alcoholic will always stay an alcoholic, though he can be one who doesn't touch a drop of the stuff. A smoker, too, can quit and even get quite a lot of his "natural health" back (takes seven years or so to flush out most of it, I am told). Couldn't say if a smoker stays a smoker all his life though. Still, drug's drug.

I smoke. I started pretty late and used to smoke pipe, but eventuelly switched to roll-ups. I'd say I do 8 a day, make it the occasional 10. Personally, I find it easier to restrict myself to just a few ciggies a day than saying "I quit". Don't know if it makes sense, but there is less pressure when I still have a pack with me, but don't touch it that often, than throwing the pack away.

Congrats to you, SinSin. Twenty a day's quite some ammo. Be proud!

Stupot

Yeh, good to hear it SinSin.  I hope you can keep it up.  I'm a non-smoker and I must be honest, I have little sympathy for people who start smoking and then say "Oh, I really want to give up!!"   SinSin is living proof that you can give up.  These people are just lying to themselves.

Back to what Spaceboy said about the best way to quit is not to start, okay grammatically and logically that statemeny doesn't make sense but I think its absolutely spot on.  If you never started in the first place you have no need to worry about having to give it up.

I often wonder why people start smoking in the first place.... ask any smoker "why did you start smoking?"... they usually say "Because I enjoy it" which doesnt answer the question why they started.

If you ask "was it peer pressure?" they deny it.
If you ask "did you think it was cool?" they deny it.
If you ask "was it to fit in?" they deny it...
"why the hell was it then?"
"because I enjoy it....."
"aaarrrrggghhhh!!!!!"

But I dont preach to smokers I just think its strange that someone will start something knowing that it's addictive, it's expensive and it's ultimately going to be the cause of your death.... and it even tells you on the packet.

I love apples...  But if I saw one with a sticker on it saying "This apple is poisonous and will kill you, harm others around you, steal your wife, give you cancer and rob your underwear drawer".... I probably wouldn't eat it..... but that's just me.

evenwolf

Stupot.    Most college women Ive met smoke.    They don't stand around and discuss why they started but supposedly many girls smoke because its an appetite suppressant.   
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

nick.keane

Look at my robot face avatar!

Think I got that from selling my soul to SkyNet and getting cheap artificial enchancements? Nope - Cancer. I've been smoking since I was eight days old, and I will continue to smoke crack n' weed n' crackweed till the day I die! Be like Tyrone Biggums and go, go to your 5 o'clock free crack giveaway!

Nah, I'm just kidding - I don't smoke and never have smoked, and I really am a robotic traitor to mankind, hell bent on destroying every single one of you humans by peeling off your skin and basting the exposed fatty tissues and muscles with laser beams as you are left a barbiqued and screaming smoldering mass! I had you scared for a second there, though, didn't I?
|--> The Bionic Blog
Games:

Stupot

Quote from: evenwolf on Sun 19/08/2007 05:38:08
Stupot.    Most college women Ive met smoke.    They don't stand around and discuss why they started but supposedly many girls smoke because its an appetite suppressant.   
Ahh yeh this is true... and it's easy to understand why they wouldn't admit to that being the reason.  But what about men and large girls who smoke... I wonder what their reasons were for starting.

Evil

Curiosity.

Drinking is dangerous, drugs are dangerous, sex is dangerous. That's exactly why people do them. Smoking is frowned upon by many people, so a lot of people are curious and just want to try it and then enjoy it.

evenwolf

Quote from: Stupot on Sun 19/08/2007 06:38:33
But what about men and large girls who smoke...

Large girls?   I think you'll fail to find a single reason for any demographic.   Nevermind that many overweight people are TRYING to lose weight.   If you ask someone about "peer pressure"  they are unlikely to confess to it.   The phrase exhibits weakness.   

Let's change the name to "peer exposure."    If all your friends smoke, including fit young women, you may yourself take up the habit.    Similar to exposure to advertising.   If you ask someone "Did you buy the burger because of the commercial we just watched?" theyll say "No, I bought it because Im hungry."   

Every person is in control of his or her destiny...  no matter how many marketing, advertising, & PR firms are being employed at this very moment.

voh

I started because at a dinner, a friend offered me a clove cigarette as a treat at coffee. She'd been saving them for a couple of years (because the specific brand stopped being sold in he Netherlands back when) and I thought why the hell not,

And I liked it.

I started smoking because I liked it :P
Still here.

Nine Toes

I'm still trying to quit smoking.  Well... I wouldn't really say I'm trying at this particular moment, but...

I guess I just have no willpower.
Watch, I just killed this topic...

evenwolf

It takes a lot of resolve.

I'm currently trying to cut back my soda intake.  But every time I grab a bite to eat its like I have to say good bye one last time.   "Good bye soda.  I'll miss you."   And then of course I say goodbye the next day and the next day and the next...

Tuomas

I quit drinking beer because I ran out of money. Now that I buy a bottle and drink it, it's not that good anyway. Not that I had a problem, just started growing a tummy :)

MillsJROSS

QuoteBack to what Spaceboy said about the best way to quit is not to start, okay grammatically and logically that statemeny doesn't make sense but I think its absolutely spot on.  If you never started in the first place you have no need to worry about having to give it up.

I agree that, regardless of grammar and logic, people understand what the expression means. However, I feel it's almost a snipping comment to a smoker. It's not actually helping anyone who has started smoking to quit. If anything it separates us into the smokers and non-smokers groups, and it's attacking the smokers. Which, if I was a smoker, I'd defend my fellow smokers honor by continuing to smoke.

I'm sure a lot of people smoke because of parents, siblings, family, or friends. Some for dieting, as mentioned. Some for mans desire to hold and become master of fire. It doesn't really matter. Knowing the reason doesn't really stop them from having smoked. Regardless of all the information thrown down their throats.

The actual reason I would never start smoking, is that it takes so much time in the day. I can't play a card game without it taking twice as long because there are three or four cigarette breaks. My roommate can't watch a full DVD without having to stop for a smoke break. I don't really care that much about the health risks as reasons. I know what it can do, but that alone won't prevent me from smoking. It's too far down the road to be concerned with. The time it would take out of my day is my main concern.

-MillsJROSS

Stupot

And the expense aswell.  Everytime someone buys a packet of cigarettes (in England at least) they moan about the price (i know,  i worked in a newsagents for 5 years).  One of my reasons for not smoking is because I would resent paying those sort of prices.  Although everywhere else smoking is cheaper so maybe if i'd been brought up in a different country I might have become part of the Black Lung Brigade.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk