What is this thing?

Started by MarVelo, Sat 18/08/2007 21:44:00

Previous topic - Next topic

MarVelo

A couple days ago my neighbor got this installed on the side of his house. I'm curious of what it is or what it does. On the side it has an FCC id number so I'm assuming to transmits, receives, or otherwise communicates with something. On the one end it has a threading as if something can be screwed onto it, and the other end is open with the wiring coming out. The wires of different colors come out and two of the same color wires go respectivly into a plastic thing with a 3M logo on it.

Give me some kind of idea about this device if you can,

Thanks!

Gamer_V

.. You screwed loose and opened the thing, that was his property and hanging on his house? Without permission?

Tsk.

Radiant

Self-defense laser cannon?

Tuomas

I would suggest asking your neighbour

Fyntax

Quote from: Radiant on Sat 18/08/2007 22:03:42
Self-defense laser cannon?

...either that or it's a general purpose alien beacon...

..His neightboor has obiously sold out the human race to ether slavery or to the possibility of gruesome extinction!

When the aliens arrive we are doomed I tell you!

doomed!

LimpingFish

Could be a radon detector. Or possibly a pest deterant, that transmits high-frequency soundwaves to drive away roaches/mice/rats/etc.

Could be a lot of things.

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Balin

It likes a piece of irrigation pipe that he's wired to something.  :-\

Ishmael

Looks like his phone or something's been bugged.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Evil

The red thing looks like a mic or some kind of detector. Radon's a good guess, so is pest control. It doesn't appear to be something he's hiding, so I'd ask. I'm quite curious as well.

radiowaves

Its a long range superboosted microphone which can hear through your wallls!
I am just a shallow stereotype, so you should take into consideration that my opinion has no great value to you.

Tracks

arthur.com

I think he put thet there so'd peopole would ask. :)
If it's a crime to like pokemon video games -arest me!

Domino

Could be where they are installing Fios internet. Just a guess.

lo_res_man

MAybe its a commercial waveguide antenna?
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

Tuomas

I don't think it's a radon detector or a pest control gadget. Neither of them would surely not be outside.

I think we should approach this in a different way. "What do you think Watson?" "Well. First of all, you see the three brown holes on the wall, that is, if the upper one is a hole, can't quite see it. So obviously there has been something nailed or screwed onto it. And in conclusion, the gadget we're looking at is there to replace it, hence the exact same position. Now obviously the later object has been there for a while, seeing as how the brown around the holes is most probably rust from the screws or nails. Now we need to figure out, what is it, that you screw onto your wall with 3 screws..." "How about a lightning conductor?" "What does a plastic gadget got to do with that?" "Well, there's a sleeve gasket"

"Good thinking... but I don't think so. Why the wires?"

...sorry, can't think of anything atm. Antenna sounds probable though.

How high is it? What's the FCC number?

Domino

It's a Bomb...get the hell out of there.

Don't cut the red wire.

MarVelo

Not going to lie,

I'm extremely afraid of this neighbor because he is a total weirdo and doesn't say anything to anyone except for when he chased after my friend who was riding his bike on the sidewalk saying that he was a fiend and should be killed, but anywho...  :-X

I didn't unscrew it or even touch it, that is just the way it is sitting there. If I could remember what used to be there (and i wish i could) I'd let y'all know.

the FCC id is: GIF 2005F

i've tried to look that number up (searching, and FCC) but no results

Stupot

It's an NND.

Nosy Neighbour Deterrent...

...Its obviously broken.

nick.keane

It looks like the sole reason why Jews still walk the Earth today.

You'd better pay some damn respect, Jews.
|--> The Bionic Blog
Games:

Gregjazz

Although it'd be super-cool if it was some sort of ray gun, it's actually just one of these boring things:

http://www.badgermeter.com/pdf/orion/tech/ori-t-41.pdf

I could be wrong, but I imagine he has it hooked up to his water/gas meters, so he can keep track of them at all times...

evenwolf

Drats.   I browsed the home depot catalog trying to find it.   I figured it was a meter of sorts.    I didnt know but my first guess was that it had something to with air conditioning.

I donned my detective hat and said "if this guy just installed it, what motivated him?"    THE HEAT!
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk