HS Football Field - Need Some Suggestions

Started by dcorpse, Fri 24/08/2007 08:48:30

Previous topic - Next topic

dcorpse

Hi there all I am working on a few backgrounds to help out a friend and I needed some advice on maybe some things I could add, and maybe some perspective advice.

I am trying to keep the bg's not so complicated that way we spend more time on game play rather than graphics.

What I'm really having trouble with is making the bleachers look filled with spectators... I don't really know where to start with it and anything I have attempted looks totally messed up. Any suggestions there would help as well.  ???

All C&C Welcome thanks!

Lt. Smash

There are many problems with the perspective (it looks a bit isometric) and the text should be bent to the form of that green thing.
I think there should be more rows in that sitting places.

Loose the outlines they don't make the bg look good and make some sky.
Also the proportions don't fit. The farer away, the smaller it should be and not otherwise. Correct these things before you want to put spectators in.

Oliwerko

I guess - like Smash said - you should correct the whole proportion/perspective things. It seems to me that it's a bit chaotically drawn without any measurements.

cobra79

Depending on what you intend to do with this background you could either redraw it in real isometric perspective or use vanishing points.
A football field is huge, even if it is a small stadium, so in order to see both ends of it there has to be some distance between the viewer and the stadium. That makes the surroundings more important and at the moment your background has none. Add parking lots, trees, houses or something similar, but there has to be more than just grass. Above all like Smash said a sky is needed.
I made a crude little sketch in a different view, but keep in mind that I have never seen a football stadium :D
(American football that is.)
For the spectators a lot of colored dots would suffice if the people in the front rows are a little more detailed.

dcorpse

Hey thanks, the big tall green thing is a water tower, also it is a High School football Field not a stadium so there won't be much for parking lots or an actual stadium pretty much in a large field like shown. Well at least for my High School. You guys gave some great advice for the perspective but I'm not really sure how to fix it still, I will try a couple different things and post back thanks for the help.

pslim

Hi there.

Is this bg meant to be a cinematic-type scene or a useable background for the player character to walk around on? In the case of the latter, it seems to me that it would make more sense to choose a smaller portion of the field to draw to scale with the character sprites. A football field is quite large, and drawing the whole thing in one screen is fine for an aerial shot, but not as fine for a playable backgorund.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk