MAGS 2007-09: Innovation

Started by Klaus, Sat 01/09/2007 07:18:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month's guidelines are set by Akatosh.

Topic: Innovation

If there's one thing that's definitely been over-done in AGS adventure game creation it's the standard "You Play As The Completely Inept Private Eye XYZ" adventures, Indy and Monkey Island clones. It's probably time for a change and shake things up a little!

Thus if you want to make a game for this month's MAGS competition it must follow these guidelines:

- The main character must not currently be, have ever been or trying to get become a pirate, private eye or archaeologist.

- The game must be placed in an "infrequently used in AGS games" setting. This means use locations we didn't see in a long time (for example a Cyberpunk environment would classify) or use places is a non-standard way...

- In addition to this the game must feature something that'll be considered "innovative", e.g. a new and interesting GUI (Odo Tamat On did this) or in general something you don't see in every game. Don't get stuck on this rule: It doesn't have to be a GUI or completely new, but it shouldn't have been "done to death". Just a nice feature.

That's it. The rules are quite open this month, not including a definite background setting or anything, but that's pretty much the spirit of innovation, isn't it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All games need to be in by September 25th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Radiant

In what is probably the quickest MAGS response ever, I present you

Pixel Hunt

The main character is some kind of gunman, definitely not a pirate, nor a wussy archaeologist. The setting is a dark future, it's actually so dark a future that you can barely see anything on-screen. And this is unlike any AGS games I've seen the past year, so it's definitely innovative! Plus, you get to kill stuff, so how can that not be cool?

olafmoriarty

Oooh, I like. I have a cool concept all worked out, and now I just pray that there will be enough time in this month to actually make it.

Ubel

Quote from: Radiant on Sat 01/09/2007 10:24:07
In what is probably the quickest MAGS response ever, I present you

Pixel Hunt

You are aware that you just stole the name of SSH's game, aren't you? ;)

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=506

nihilyst

Hm, I might enter this time ... at least I have started something ;)

Akatosh

JuuL

I have a question about the "infreuently used setting" rule:
How infrequently does it have to be? Would any of the following count:
- a female main character's home (most games are bout males)
- a specific and not very famous country (most games use US, UK or somewhere exotic)
- The Real World - not something that just looks like it, but a (relatively) real place at a real time with references to real world events.

Could I "use a place in a non-standard way" by making it clear that the graphical representation of the world is based more on the main character's psychology ( =insanity? ) than the real world itself?

Would any combination of the above count?

(the reason for all these question is an idea I've had for a game for more than a year, and the other two rules fit perfectly)

Akatosh

Well, the insanity would certainly work - that's not something you see every day (although it's been used once or twice, I think). The country could work if it's really something you don't see all that much - like Belgium, Iran or Non-Nazi-Germany  ;). I'm not all that sure about the character's home - perhaps if it's unusual (like a cardboard box in the backyard or something), but in general, that specific location wouldn't be *that* innovative.

JuuL

Thanks, Akatosh.
Assuming that my own homeland, Denmark, has an equal level of not-being-seen-that-much as Belgium, I think that will work for me.
And a certain level of insanity will be used, too. Nothing much, just a slight distortion of proportion, darker colours, maybe a few semi-antropomorphic objects.

OneDollar

This is nice and open and I have an idea that might fit. Rule 2 seems to be the stumbling point though, would you count unusual art styles and presentation of areas (use places in a non-standard way)? Otherwise it needs a bit more thought... lets hope I find some time this month

sharksweetheart

Quote from: OneDollar on Mon 03/09/2007 13:25:59
This is nice and open and I have an idea that might fit. Rule 2 seems to be the stumbling point though, would you count unusual art styles and presentation of areas (use places in a non-standard way)? Otherwise it needs a bit more thought... lets hope I find some time this month
I was wondering this too, seeing as I would have no idea how to implement unique gameplay, unless I just went with "no gameplay", haha.

Akatosh

"Unusual presentation" should work, as well as a seldomly used location or even "background setting". Except for World War II and anything with pirates. These don't count.  ;)

ThreeOhFour

I have a small question....

What if one were to become a pirate, but not in the usual, "Arr me hearties", "GROG! WENCHES! GROG! WENCHES" etc type of thing? Like if there was piracy but it wasn't the setting or character, just the actions. So like, thievery. Grand theft Marine. Etc.

Surely this would be an innovative take on a cliche concept?

paolo

Quote from: Ben304 on Mon 03/09/2007 15:52:11
I have a small question....

What if one were to become a pirate [...]?

The rules say: "The main character must not currently be, have ever been or trying to get a pirate, private eye or archaeologist."

I don't think this is clear - it looks like there might be a mistake in this sentence. Is "trying to get" supposed to be "trying to become" (or "trying to get to be")?

DoorKnobHandle

One question I've always had and didn't find answered yet - neither in this thread nor on the official MAGS website - is: how much of an actual adventure must a MAGS entry be?

Like, if a game worked similar to Yahtzee's 1213 series, would this qualify? Especially with these innovative rules this month, projects that leave the traditional point-and-click genre might come up.

So, I guess I'm asking, does a MAGS entry have to be strictly an adventure, can it be a combination of - say jump'n'run or shoot'em'up - with adventure or is maybe even a non-adventure game made in AGS fine?

Klaus

Quote from: dkh on Tue 04/09/2007 12:59:28
... does a MAGS entry have to be strictly an adventure, can it be a combination of - say jump'n'run or shoot'em'up - with adventure or is maybe even a non-adventure game made in AGS fine?

In general: As long as it is not clearly stated in the rules then a MAGS entry does not need to be an adventure game by default. Yes, even non-adventure game are allowed.
For this month: As Akatosh goes for "innovation" I'm not sure if he especially wants to go for "innovation in adventure games". So maybe he can give some more details and make things clear for this month :)

DoorKnobHandle

He, thanks for the quick reply. I think the way this issue is handled makes a lot of sense. :=

Let's see what Akatosh says, though.

Akatosh

Innovation is "AGS Innovation" this month, so non-adventures will be fine.  :)

With "trying to get" I meant something like "trying to become".

OneDollar

So you could in fact have someone who was 'trying to get' (as in obtain, capture or stop) a pirate? :)

Akatosh

In that sense, it'd be possible yes. As long as the main character isn't a pirate.

FSi++

Ok, my entry (don't take it too seriously :) ):

PLAN 10 from MY PANTS!
- UNIQUE hero: radiocontrolled steam iron!
- UNIQUE setting: MY PANTS!
- UNCOMMON (for AGS game) gameplay: top-down scrolling shooter (Well, not that UNIQUE, there was Intestinator by ProgZMAX, and maybe some other games)
- REAL PHYSICAL MODEL: All movement of iron is calculated in real time by a genuine physical model (courtesy of FSi :P)
- Soundtrack taken with no remorse from your favourite games :=
- Two levels full of perilous doom and doomy perils(tm)
- Crappy story as usual
This demo version is stripped of sounds, but you don't want to listen to them anyway.

GET IT NOW OR ELSE!
(note: this link links to the Extended version, to get the first demo, click here)

Gamer_V

Whoo! I've conquered your pants!

Wait ... that doesn't sound quite right.  :P

Stupot

I have an idea that would fit the rules of this contest.  Unfortunately I don't have the time or skill to pull it off by the 25th.  But it's such an awesome Idea that I think I'm going put "A Window Cleaner's Apprentice" on the back-burner and focus on this new idea as a full project.

Let me think about it and get a story going.  I might want to recruit a team for this one because its highly visionary if I do say so myself.. probably out of my reach as a solo project.

FSi++

And for some reason I'm adding a plot to Plan10... Non-demo will be ready this weekend.

Akatosh

I just played it. Now I want to die.

And by "want to", I mean "demand a", and by "die", I mean "sequel".

FSi++

Not quite a sequel, but an extended version is ready (in case you didn't notice, link is the same).

I used sprites from JuncSource for it, so if it doesn't fit the rules, there's still original available.

Radiant

All joking and Cuppits aside, I felt obliged to also make a serious entry for this month's competition. So hereby I present:

Root of all Evil, a Reality-on-the-Norm game.

Although the game features a pirate, a private eye, and an archaeologist, none of them are the main character. Since there have been very few RON games the last few years (the last one being in January) I feel the town has become an infrequently used location, that we haven't seen in a long time and that would be worth revisiting. Finally, the game has two innovative features: the AutoVerbing system, and a camera that actually works.

Download

OneDollar

There's no way I'm gonna finish the entry I started within the time limit and I'll probably be without Internet access from sometime tomorrow for some length of time so I probably couldn't post it anyway. Still, I might have a quick look around the Internet for some atmospheric music and put a demo up (what I've done so far) if anyone's interested?

<<EDIT>>

Tacked on a text-y intro of sorts, a few sound clips and an end screen. There's supposed to be music but my computer won't play it so it may be there or may not be. Very rough cut I'm afraid, it's just that the idea was one I'm fairly pleased with and I'd like to get it out there. I may continue this, I may not.

The game is called 'Recollection' and can be downloaded from here...
...and here's a screenshot of sorts...

In case you don't quite get the plot from the minimal content here... DEFINITELY DON'T READ BEFORE PLAYING AND DON'T READ IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN SEEING A FULL VERSION
Spoiler
you play as a guy who finds himself in a coma and has to traverse an imaginary version of his head to try and remember what happened and wake up
[close]

Hope you enjoy...

<<FURTHER EDIT>>

Renamed the game .exe file so that you can run the setup properly. Whoops. Anyone actually interested in me finishing it?

ciborium

Radiant is a machine!

Two MAGS entries in the same month!

OneDollar:  You renamed your exe after you compiled it.  I had to rename it back to MAGS0907.exe in order to run winsetup.

paolo

Here is our (Ben304's and paolo's) contribution:

TRANCE-PACIFIC

Vince is a stage hypnotist, and is close friends with Eve, a magician, and Nick, her assistant. They have just completed a long season and are now going on a long cruise to relax. They soon discover something underhand is going on aboard ship. It's not just the ocean that smells fishy, and the cruise is going to be anything but relaxing...

Features:

* Eight characters
* Five rooms
* Six customised GUIs, including an innovative one
* Puzzles that should take a while to crack
* Main non-player characters give hints when you speak to them
* Plenty of humour
* A peppering of authentic Australianisms (with a glossary in the README file)
* Sly references to classic adventure game situations

How the game fits the MAGS competition rules:

1. The main character is a stage hypnotist and has no plans to change his job.
2. The game is set on a cruise ship (there have been many games set on ships before, but never on a cruise ship, to my recollection); the characters are all Australian.
3. There is a new and interesting GUI.

To play, go to http://www.freewebs.com/paoloags/ and click on the download link. Don't forget to vote for the game on the MAGS website if you like it (go to http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/aclinks.htm, click on "MAGS" and then the "voting" button).

Alternative link kindly provided by Eugen: http://www.victorygames.info/free/Trance-Pacific_v1.01.zip (PLEASE NOTE: The freewebs link is the latest version. The version at victorygames does not include the latest bug fixes: if you leave the bar and then return, the game interface disappears. This bug is fixed in the freewebs version.)

DoorKnobHandle

I have an entry as well, I suppose this competition will stay open until 23:59 of the 25th, right?

Klaus

Quote from: dkh on Sun 23/09/2007 21:10:33
I have an entry as well, I suppose this competition will stay open until 23:59 of the 25th, right?
okay so let's make it official now: The deadline will end in 49 1/2 hours from now (see timestamp of this posting). Then the voting will begin... Good luck.

JuuL

Well, once again I fail to do anything than can in any way be called "finishing a game". Damned artwork.
Fortunately, lots of other people have done what I could not. Thanks, this looks like an interesting month for MAGS.

DoorKnobHandle

Revelation

Finally finished my entry. Find the thread HERE, it contains all information.

ThreeOhFour

dkh, have only had a quick chance to play your game, but nice work!

Will definitely be loading this one up again!

DoorKnobHandle

GuyLaDouche

I present to you at the last minute: SERUM

Quote from: thread
Features:

-a character that isn't a pirate, archeologist, or whatever else the contest demanded.
-a unique setting in each room (from black to completely poor perspective, which isn't done enough), or an under construction breakroom.
-dynamic NPCs with changing attitudes towards the player based upon your interaction with them.
-randomized game elements to provide a different game experience each time it's played.
-two types of enemies with different strategies for attacking the player and other civilians.
-a weapon to defend yourself with (or for other purposes).
-a highscore table that saves automatically, so you never lose your status.
-several ways to end the game (including purposeful suicide).

(Warning: Violence and Some Swearing)

Download Now! (Please...?)
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/serum_2.zip

Link to Thread:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=32503

OneDollar

Quote from: ciborium on Sat 22/09/2007 01:06:57
OneDollar:  You renamed your exe after you compiled it.  I had to rename it back to MAGS0907.exe in order to run winsetup.

Sorry about that, in the 20 seconds or so that I had left I couldn't find where to change the .exe name in AGS. I'll see if I can get a fixed version up at some point, but it'll be difficult

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

You have to rename the whole folder.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

OneDollar

I'll do that if I ever get around to finishing it. For the moment I've renamed the .exe back again

Klaus

Time is up - let's start the voting... Very different games, very different concepts... Hard to decide!?

For voting please visit the MAGS site or make your choice right here:

Trance-Pacific by Ben304 and paolo
Serum by Jojoboy
Root of all Evil by Radiant
Revelation by dkh
Recollection Demo by OneDollar
Plan 10 From My Pants by FSi
Pixel Hunt by Radiant

Please vote only once and be sure to have played all games before sending your voice! Good luck to all participants.

Brad Newsom

Indie Boy

This is the most popular MAGS Iv ever seen, I still need to go through them all before I vote but has to be said WELL DONE
I won't use this login.
Try IndieBoy instead

Radiant

Quote from: Potter on Wed 26/09/2007 09:47:54
This is the most popular MAGS Iv ever seen, I still need to go through them all before I vote but has to be said WELL DONE

Seconded. Lots of interesting ideas here, and an excellent turnout.

Akatosh

Well, this turned out way better than I imagined...  :o
* Akatosh gets downloading

Brad Newsom

This has been the most enjoyable MAGS I have ever experienced. Great work guys! Hopefully the next MAGS will be even popular! ^_^

ThreeOhFour

I have to admit I agree with Brad - this AGS has been awesome. 7 entries incredible, and there's buckets of variety within them!

Good work on topic choice, Akatosh.

paolo

I have to say too that I am impressed with the response to this month's MAGS, and the games have been fun to play as well.

FSi++

OK, I've downloaded all entries, so it's gonna be some heavy night ::)

All games look good, so good luck everyone...

Brad Newsom

Klaus

Quote from: Brad Newsom on Sun 30/09/2007 19:17:09
And the winner is?

Well, time for voting is over now and there is a clear winner.
From the discussions in the "Completed Game Announcements" you might already have an idea about who's on top... Actually way beyond all other entries...

The winner is

Congratulations to Ben304 and paolo. Also many thanks to all other participants for making this an excellent MAGS contest...

paolo

Wow, I am honoured, and I'm sure Ben will be too. Thank you to eveyone who voted for our game. This was the first game we have written, so being voted best MAGS game is especially flattering.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk