MAGS 2007-09: Innovation

Started by Klaus, Sat 01/09/2007 07:18:28

Previous topic - Next topic

FSi++

Ok, my entry (don't take it too seriously :) ):

PLAN 10 from MY PANTS!
- UNIQUE hero: radiocontrolled steam iron!
- UNIQUE setting: MY PANTS!
- UNCOMMON (for AGS game) gameplay: top-down scrolling shooter (Well, not that UNIQUE, there was Intestinator by ProgZMAX, and maybe some other games)
- REAL PHYSICAL MODEL: All movement of iron is calculated in real time by a genuine physical model (courtesy of FSi :P)
- Soundtrack taken with no remorse from your favourite games :=
- Two levels full of perilous doom and doomy perils(tm)
- Crappy story as usual
This demo version is stripped of sounds, but you don't want to listen to them anyway.

GET IT NOW OR ELSE!
(note: this link links to the Extended version, to get the first demo, click here)

Gamer_V

Whoo! I've conquered your pants!

Wait ... that doesn't sound quite right.  :P

Stupot

I have an idea that would fit the rules of this contest.  Unfortunately I don't have the time or skill to pull it off by the 25th.  But it's such an awesome Idea that I think I'm going put "A Window Cleaner's Apprentice" on the back-burner and focus on this new idea as a full project.

Let me think about it and get a story going.  I might want to recruit a team for this one because its highly visionary if I do say so myself.. probably out of my reach as a solo project.

FSi++

And for some reason I'm adding a plot to Plan10... Non-demo will be ready this weekend.

Akatosh

I just played it. Now I want to die.

And by "want to", I mean "demand a", and by "die", I mean "sequel".

FSi++

Not quite a sequel, but an extended version is ready (in case you didn't notice, link is the same).

I used sprites from JuncSource for it, so if it doesn't fit the rules, there's still original available.

Radiant

All joking and Cuppits aside, I felt obliged to also make a serious entry for this month's competition. So hereby I present:

Root of all Evil, a Reality-on-the-Norm game.

Although the game features a pirate, a private eye, and an archaeologist, none of them are the main character. Since there have been very few RON games the last few years (the last one being in January) I feel the town has become an infrequently used location, that we haven't seen in a long time and that would be worth revisiting. Finally, the game has two innovative features: the AutoVerbing system, and a camera that actually works.

Download

OneDollar

There's no way I'm gonna finish the entry I started within the time limit and I'll probably be without Internet access from sometime tomorrow for some length of time so I probably couldn't post it anyway. Still, I might have a quick look around the Internet for some atmospheric music and put a demo up (what I've done so far) if anyone's interested?

<<EDIT>>

Tacked on a text-y intro of sorts, a few sound clips and an end screen. There's supposed to be music but my computer won't play it so it may be there or may not be. Very rough cut I'm afraid, it's just that the idea was one I'm fairly pleased with and I'd like to get it out there. I may continue this, I may not.

The game is called 'Recollection' and can be downloaded from here...
...and here's a screenshot of sorts...

In case you don't quite get the plot from the minimal content here... DEFINITELY DON'T READ BEFORE PLAYING AND DON'T READ IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN SEEING A FULL VERSION
Spoiler
you play as a guy who finds himself in a coma and has to traverse an imaginary version of his head to try and remember what happened and wake up
[close]

Hope you enjoy...

<<FURTHER EDIT>>

Renamed the game .exe file so that you can run the setup properly. Whoops. Anyone actually interested in me finishing it?

ciborium

Radiant is a machine!

Two MAGS entries in the same month!

OneDollar:  You renamed your exe after you compiled it.  I had to rename it back to MAGS0907.exe in order to run winsetup.

paolo

Here is our (Ben304's and paolo's) contribution:

TRANCE-PACIFIC

Vince is a stage hypnotist, and is close friends with Eve, a magician, and Nick, her assistant. They have just completed a long season and are now going on a long cruise to relax. They soon discover something underhand is going on aboard ship. It's not just the ocean that smells fishy, and the cruise is going to be anything but relaxing...

Features:

* Eight characters
* Five rooms
* Six customised GUIs, including an innovative one
* Puzzles that should take a while to crack
* Main non-player characters give hints when you speak to them
* Plenty of humour
* A peppering of authentic Australianisms (with a glossary in the README file)
* Sly references to classic adventure game situations

How the game fits the MAGS competition rules:

1. The main character is a stage hypnotist and has no plans to change his job.
2. The game is set on a cruise ship (there have been many games set on ships before, but never on a cruise ship, to my recollection); the characters are all Australian.
3. There is a new and interesting GUI.

To play, go to http://www.freewebs.com/paoloags/ and click on the download link. Don't forget to vote for the game on the MAGS website if you like it (go to http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/aclinks.htm, click on "MAGS" and then the "voting" button).

Alternative link kindly provided by Eugen: http://www.victorygames.info/free/Trance-Pacific_v1.01.zip (PLEASE NOTE: The freewebs link is the latest version. The version at victorygames does not include the latest bug fixes: if you leave the bar and then return, the game interface disappears. This bug is fixed in the freewebs version.)

DoorKnobHandle

I have an entry as well, I suppose this competition will stay open until 23:59 of the 25th, right?

Klaus

Quote from: dkh on Sun 23/09/2007 21:10:33
I have an entry as well, I suppose this competition will stay open until 23:59 of the 25th, right?
okay so let's make it official now: The deadline will end in 49 1/2 hours from now (see timestamp of this posting). Then the voting will begin... Good luck.

JuuL

Well, once again I fail to do anything than can in any way be called "finishing a game". Damned artwork.
Fortunately, lots of other people have done what I could not. Thanks, this looks like an interesting month for MAGS.

DoorKnobHandle

Revelation

Finally finished my entry. Find the thread HERE, it contains all information.

ThreeOhFour

dkh, have only had a quick chance to play your game, but nice work!

Will definitely be loading this one up again!

DoorKnobHandle

GuyLaDouche

I present to you at the last minute: SERUM

Quote from: thread
Features:

-a character that isn't a pirate, archeologist, or whatever else the contest demanded.
-a unique setting in each room (from black to completely poor perspective, which isn't done enough), or an under construction breakroom.
-dynamic NPCs with changing attitudes towards the player based upon your interaction with them.
-randomized game elements to provide a different game experience each time it's played.
-two types of enemies with different strategies for attacking the player and other civilians.
-a weapon to defend yourself with (or for other purposes).
-a highscore table that saves automatically, so you never lose your status.
-several ways to end the game (including purposeful suicide).

(Warning: Violence and Some Swearing)

Download Now! (Please...?)
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/serum_2.zip

Link to Thread:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=32503

OneDollar

Quote from: ciborium on Sat 22/09/2007 01:06:57
OneDollar:  You renamed your exe after you compiled it.  I had to rename it back to MAGS0907.exe in order to run winsetup.

Sorry about that, in the 20 seconds or so that I had left I couldn't find where to change the .exe name in AGS. I'll see if I can get a fixed version up at some point, but it'll be difficult

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

You have to rename the whole folder.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

OneDollar

I'll do that if I ever get around to finishing it. For the moment I've renamed the .exe back again

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk