Error Message

Started by Samwise, Sat 15/09/2007 09:45:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Samwise

Hello,

Could you make sense of that?

http://www.hebrewquest.com/error.jpg

The specific line is a PlayVideo command.

Pumaman

Does the video file play normally in Windows Media Player? Which codec did you use?

Samwise

Yes.  It's a WMV file.  I've changed its name to info.xnw so people won't see it in Windows before they play the game (it's sort of a spoiler).  It runs well on two computers, but show this message on the third.

Pumaman

If you try to play the video file in Media Player on the third computer, does it work?

Samwise

Seems like this tester ran it in a modified version of Windows, which had Media Player "surgically removed".

So, it should work fine on any "normal" OS, isn't it?

Pumaman

Heh ... well, AGS uses the Media Player components to play video, so if they have "surgically removed" it then I'm not too surprised that it doesn't work...

Samwise

Yes, that makes a lot of sense  :)

Do you know of other potential problems the renaming of the WMV file to info.xnw may cause?

The video seems to run well in the game on the other 2 computers.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Out of curiosity - and this is 100% hipothetical, as I don't use the OS I'll mention and don't know anyone who does... isn't there a Windows which is called "Media Center", or whatever-it's-called, that's effectively regular WinXP *without* Windows Media Player, and hasn't it replaced the regular WinXP? I seem to remember reading that in some magazine. Would AGS play video in that OS?
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Pumaman

Windows Media Centre is a special version of XP/Vista that comes with extra media playing stuff, not less. There is the "Windows XP N Edition" in Europe which doesn't include media player, but this should still include the components necessary for other applications to play video, assuming that the codecs are installed.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Right-o, just curious, and yeah, I must have been thinking of XP N. Thanks.

Kneel. Now.

Samwise

Are there any known problems with running proper videos in AGS with non-video extensions (e.g. info.wmv after it was renamed to info.xnw)?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Ah, I can answer this one - nope. As long as it's a video file, changing the extension shouldn't make a difference, AGS will still play it.

Kneel. Now.

Samwise

Thank you very much for your answer.

Seems like a good trick for FMV games or other games with videos done with AGS.

Notice that I had to change the file extension with DOS.  Windows "remembers" it's a video file even if you change the extension there.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Heh, still using DOS?

From what I understand, btw, when AGS tries to play the video file, what it does is play the video file - it assumes it can reproduce it, so it tries to, and it pretty much ignores the extension. Which is why you can use PlayVideo to show JPG files.

Never really understood why we couldn't play SWF. Must be something more complex, maybe it's not as connected to the necessary video components as other more common media. But I heavily digress...

Kneel. Now.

Gilbert

I think what he meant was probably renaming the file in a command prompt.

Samwise

Yes, this is what I've meant.   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk