TEMPLATE: SCUMM VERBCOIN GUI v2.0.0 (for AGS 3.x)

Started by Electroshokker, Sun 21/10/2007 16:31:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Electroshokker

Quote from: S on Wed 09/04/2008 21:37:52
Apologies in advance if my ignorance is caused by being too lazy to read stuff I should've read, like readmes etc., but I have a problem with the Verb Coin, and I suspect it might be an issue of resolution (my game is 800 x 600). The GUI won't display its three buttons when I click certain hotspots and objects, mainly those that are close to the right and the bottom of the screen - basically making it impossible to interact with those objects and hotspots.

Are you using AGS 3.0 or 3.0.1 ? I haven't had time to check if everything works on the 3.0.1 version yet. Will do so shortly.

riseryn

Im using 3.01 32 bits colour depth, 800x600 and direct 3d 9 driver
with no technical problem at the moment with the template  :)

S

I seem to recall that my version is 3.0.2 something (?), but I guess that might not be possible. I'll check it out when I get back from work.
It's a bit odd though, because the template's default is not 800 x 600 (why is that rare btw?), but one notch lower (600 something) - and everytime I start a new room I get a black rectangle in that res that needs to be expanded (with the warning every time). So, even though I changed it in the general prefs, the game seems to ignore my preferred resolution of 800 x 600, and the GUI does so too.

S

I'm on 3.0 by the way. Or, build 3.0.0.23, to be precise.

Electroshokker

Version 1.5.1 is up.

Minor bugfix only, it now supports the 800x600 resolution.

Please test, this shouldn't break any other resolution support.

For those of you using the 1.5 version and a lower game resolution, there's no need to upgrade.

S

Updated to 3.0.1 and the newest version of the verbcoin. All of it works now, and moreover, 3.0.1 contains some very nice improvements. Let's hope its stable (so far so good).
Thanks!

S

Ooh, just one more thing: When one presses the left mouse button to bring up the coin it defaults to "look at" or whatever button is placed in the middle. Is it possible to raise the coin or lower the hotspot for the pointer so that it does not open with the look at function already chosen?

Pumaman

Would it be ok for me to replace the Verb Coin template included in the AGS distribution with this latest version the next time I build it?

Electroshokker

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 13/04/2008 18:13:56
Would it be ok for me to replace the Verb Coin template included in the AGS distribution with this latest version the next time I build it?

Sure, go ahead.  :)

Quote from: S on Sun 13/04/2008 16:35:50
Ooh, just one more thing: When one presses the left mouse button to bring up the coin it defaults to "look at" or whatever button is placed in the middle. Is it possible to raise the coin or lower the hotspot for the pointer so that it does not open with the look at function already chosen?

Actually, you can do this yourself quite easily (which is why I won't change the template: the guis can be and are supposed to be customized the way you want them to be).

The cursor is (except when you open the verbcoin at the borders of the screen) always placed in the center. Move/resize the gui buttons any way you like.

(If you don't see the buttons in the gui, that's because they have transparent backgrounds. You can select them as sub-elements of the verbcoin gui)

S

Yeah, I know about moving the buttons, and I just thought of a nice-looking way to do this that takes advantage of the cursor hotspot being slap bang in the middle (I'll fan the buttons out around it), but I still haven't figured out how to lower or move the cursor hotspot for the GUI. Ah, anyway. I'll direct such quieries to the Beginners forum from now on.
Thanks.

riseryn

I m trying to use both your template and the gridinventory from Besh.
Actually I cant manage to have them working together.

My main problem is that the on_mouse_click() function of grid inventory is somehow overrided by scumm verbpoint and i dont know how to manage this issue after several hours reading the code.

Anyone has a clue about it?

A solution would may be to have a template only for the verbcoin without the inventory to be able to use another inventory template I guess.

Electroshokker

Quote from: riseryn on Thu 17/04/2008 18:35:31
I m trying to use both your template and the gridinventory from Besh.
Actually I cant manage to have them working together.

My main problem is that the on_mouse_click() function of grid inventory is somehow overrided by scumm verbpoint and i dont know how to manage this issue after several hours reading the code.

Anyone has a clue about it?

A solution would may be to have a template only for the verbcoin without the inventory to be able to use another inventory template I guess.

One of the reasons I made my verbcoin template because the old existing template didn't support the verbcoin inside the inventory. So removing it would miss the entire point.

I COULD try to see how the grid inventory is working and integrate it into a new module you can use. I've got no idea how much time I need for this and when I'll actually have the time;

(Merging codes rather then trying to run 2 seperate gui codes, which is always a bad idea as they will naturally interfere with one another)

Another, quicker way (in terms of coding) would be to create a set of options with which you can "turn off" certain verbcoin gui functionality.

Electroshokker

New 1.5.2 version is up.

Release notes:

- bugfix: walk-to code no longer responding after clicking on something which had property 'act' set to 'true'

Obi

Probably a silly question but I was using the previous version of the verbcoin with the 800x600 problem, I only just realised I have that problem, I'm just wondering how I upgrade to the latest version of the template without having to start all over again and importing everything over.

edit

I transfered everything over to the latest version of the verb coin and ags and I'm still getting problems selecting things near the edges of the screen. :(

Electroshokker

Quote from: Obi on Fri 09/05/2008 19:11:59
Probably a silly question but I was using the previous version of the verbcoin with the 800x600 problem, I only just realised I have that problem, I'm just wondering how I upgrade to the latest version of the template without having to start all over again and importing everything over.

See the first post of this thread. I've uploaded the updated module script files seperately.

Quote from: Obi on Fri 09/05/2008 19:11:59edit

I transfered everything over to the latest version of the verb coin and ags and I'm still getting problems selecting things near the edges of the screen. :(

That's odd... are you sure you rebuild your game?

Come to think of it, my code's not very clean and general in that section. I feel another quick update coming up...

Electroshokker

v1.5.3 is out. Just a quick fix.

The code is now completely resolution independent. Enjoy.

subspark

Fantastic work mate!
Very impressed here! :)

Cheers,
Paul.

Obi

Thanks! Now it works like a charm, you just saved my hide!

Alarconte

In the code, you say

"// if you're verbcoin is of a different size then 120x120 pixels, change these values. "

I try a lot but I don't know how to the template use my oversized verbcoin. It has 141x140 pixels, and the game its shows Cutted.

And too I see the change of image button is so slow. Why for?

EDIT: More important than size... Apart from a maybe problem of size, to activate a new button (I simple want a button to pickup objects), Is there more needed than expand the button size and all of that? My pickup button (custom_button3) don't "ilumine" (don't get mouseover and is unuseful).

Edit 2: I act as a noob and don't remind that gui's only update trought restarting game, not in save games u_u xD
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

Electroshokker

Another update version 1.5.4, changes are:

- removed confusing commentary of old (Alarconte, you're NOT supposed to change ANYthing in the module code, it automatically supports any verbcoin size and any resolution)

- fixed another bug: when a couple of hotspots/characters/objects where close together, the label gui would display the wrong text, this was confusing when playing the game.

Quote from: Alarconte on Tue 13/05/2008 00:05:28
I don't know how to the template use my oversized verbcoin. It has 141x140 pixels, and the game its shows Cutted.

Increase the overal size of the gui so it matches the size of your verbcoin.

Quote from: Alarconte on Tue 13/05/2008 00:05:28And too I see the change of image button is so slow. Why for?

So you can have verbcoins with buttons of which the images overlap one another. It allows for more flexibility, though it is indeed slower then if you use seperate button images.

Quote from: Alarconte on Tue 13/05/2008 00:05:28to activate a new button (I simple want a button to pickup objects), Is there more needed than expand the button size and all of that? My pickup button (custom_button3) don't "ilumine" (don't get mouseover and is unuseful).

You have to define the new button's image in the globalscript:

Code: ags
SCUMM_VERBCOIN_GUI.verbgraphic(bCustom3, 0);

replace the 0 with whatever sprite number you want it to be.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk