Larry vales 1: unable to get my character to walk around...

Started by Lucifiel, Sat 27/10/2007 20:04:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucifiel

In Larry Vales 1 , I'm unable to get my character to move around. When I use the walk function and click on a spot, the character doesn't move unless I hover my mouse onto the menu.

Has anyone encountered this issue before and what did you do to make it go away? I could start a new game but I suspect this might be one of those "randomly occurring" bugs.

Edit: Also, there doesn't seem to be any music. Is that the norm or did something go wrong?

Dualnames

This isn't a bug. It just happens. The game is quite old and I guess way back making hotspots and walkable areas was very difficult. You have to find your own way to realise how the game's working. About the music oh yeah. Try right clicking till your cursor has a boot on it.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

m0ds

You'll also notice when he walks his animation indicates the developer must've been on crack.

:=

Lucifiel

Quote from: Jim "Dualnames" Span on Sat 27/10/2007 22:50:35
This isn't a bug. It just happens. The game is quite old and I guess way back making hotspots and walkable areas was very difficult. You have to find your own way to realise how the game's working. About the music oh yeah. Try right clicking till your cursor has a boot on it.

Uh actually, I clicked on almost everywhere on the screen with the boot cursor but now, nothing happens unless I move my cursor over the menu. Before, he could walk normally too.

Hmmm... now, even, clicking on items(like pool, person, etc.) to get a description doesn't work anymore. Unless I move my cursor above the menu, that is.

Lucifiel

Quote from: m0ds on Sun 28/10/2007 01:02:03
You'll also notice when he walks his animation indicates the developer must've been on crack.

:=

LOL... yep, I remember some other games too where the characters were sliding around on glided feet. This one... is *LOLz*.

Wait.... are you the Mark Lovegrove who created that music for Poom and Nelly Cootalot?! Wow, I absolutely loved the tunez. :D

Lucifiel

Hmmm... I think I've figured out the issue.

It's likely a bug or some kinda issue caused by running the game on a newer kinda pc. Anyways, if you click on the "pool" in the maintainence room to get a description, the menu might be replaced by some sort of bar. And from that point on, using any of the action cursors(Eye, boot, mouth, hand) will not work unless you hover your mouse over the menu bar.

If you've saved the game at or after this point, those save files will also suffer from the same issue, whether you've restarted(Quit + F5) the game or not. 

Radiant

Have you tried running a diagnostic on your DirectX drivers? I've had problems with my mouse in AGS in the past, and it's usually directx.

Gilbert

It was actually a bug in the older versions of the AGS engine, which had been fixed in newer versions.

However I think unless Phil compiles a new version with a newer version of AGS, it would stay that way unfortunately.

m0ds

Lucifiel, thanks! yes, thats me. LV1 is supposed to have music. Phil used a bunch of popular tunes for the music in the game, which worked pretty well! I guess again it's the fact it's built in such an early AGS the music doesn't work. I can't get MIDI to play on old AGS games either.

Lucifiel

Quote from: m0ds on Mon 29/10/2007 01:35:50
Lucifiel, thanks! yes, thats me. LV1 is supposed to have music. Phil used a bunch of popular tunes for the music in the game, which worked pretty well! I guess again it's the fact it's built in such an early AGS the music doesn't work. I can't get MIDI to play on old AGS games either.
Ooh, I wonder what they sounded like. It's a pity they're built into the .exe

Ah well, older prototypes tend to be a little dodgy sometimes? (Edit: Also, note the hilarious "bring bring" effect when you earn some puzzle points. And also, the fact that the people's heads look like they're... I dunno, bouncing? Seriously, just how much crack did Phil take? It seems to have been laced with other noxious poisons, too. :p)

Quote from: Radiant on Sun 28/10/2007 20:54:18
Have you tried running a diagnostic on your DirectX drivers? I've had problems with my mouse in AGS in the past, and it's usually directx.

Yep, just ran all the tests. The pc passed every one of them.

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Mon 29/10/2007 00:05:11
It was actually a bug in the older versions of the AGS engine, which had been fixed in newer versions.

However I think unless Phil compiles a new version with a newer version of AGS, it would stay that way unfortunately.

Oh well, I'll just save often and avoid that particular hotspot. :p

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk