MAGS 2007-11: Parody

Started by Klaus, Thu 01/11/2007 17:12:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month's guidelines are set by last month's winner ThatOneChick87:

Topic: Parody

You must parody at least one Television or Film cast. The characters, not the actors.

- The game must take place on Thanksgiving Day (or any other Holiday that involves extended family coming to visit).
- At least one character must bring a weird date.
- The player character must do at least one thing that's out of character for him/her.
- A tooth must be in the inventory at least once.

That's it - no further restrictions.

Please credit the original cast to avoid copyright issues... :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All games need to be in by November 27th, 12h GMT.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Radiant

For those of us who don't live in the States, never celebrated thanksgiving, and don't know anything about the related habits and festivities - can we substitute some other holiday instead? As long as it parodizes a television or film cast?

Afflict

The idea is pretty kewl, yeah the holiday is a bit of a non global one :P

Klaus

The rules are now slightly different and as suggested also allow any other Holiday Holiday that involves extended family coming to visit... So go ahead :)

Abisso

What does "bring a weird date" mean? I just don't understand what "date" refers to in that sentence.
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

Radiant

Quote from: Abisso on Thu 08/11/2007 16:39:03
What does "bring a weird date" mean? I just don't understand what "date" refers to in that sentence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating

Akatosh

Sorry, won't enter this month. I played with the thought of having El Presidente visiting his family, but it didn't quite work out past the initial jokes.  :P

ThatOneChick87

Quote from: Abisso on Thu 08/11/2007 16:39:03

Um...dating=courting.  :P

The character must bring someone who they have a romantic interest in. Girlfriend/Boyfriend.
"Whoa, it's been upgraded to stank. Just last week it was only stink. Stonk can't be far away."

Jon

So, you couldn't bring say a character which looked like an actual calender date?

Radiant

ThatOneChick87

"Whoa, it's been upgraded to stank. Just last week it was only stink. Stonk can't be far away."

Afflict

Quote from: Jon on Fri 09/11/2007 16:33:56
So, you couldn't bring say a character which looked like an actual calender date?

I think that is pretty creative :)

Well it will have to be a weird date, I guess... like lets say the 29th of Feb. :P 

ThatOneChick87

I like that idea Afflict lol. I say interpret the rules as you want.

Abisso

I didn't know that the verb "bring" was the right one to be associated with the word "date" (intended as appointment with a girl). I thought the correct form was "have a date". That was the only cause of my misunderstanding.

Anyway I'm glad that my question opened a wide range of possibilities to interpret that rule.  ;D
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Heh. If you "have a date", you eat one - one of the dates Radiant offered.

It's now mandatory - SOMEONE's gotta use the edible date, or it's too much of a waste.

Then again, there goes element surprise.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Sylvr

Quote from: Abisso on Mon 12/11/2007 11:00:02
I didn't know that the verb "bring" was the right one to be associated with the word "date" (intended as appointment with a girl). I thought the correct form was "have a date". That was the only cause of my misunderstanding.

If you bring a date to something, it can also refer to the person you're taking with you. Noun AND verb! ...unless that's already been cleared up and I'm just being redundant.
| Ben304: "Peeing is a beautiful thing, Sylvr" |

LUniqueDan

You can help Wikipedia change the world!

"Dating" redirects here. For other uses, see Dating (disambiguation).
Please help improve this article or section by expanding it.

23,677 have donated.
     » Donate now!    

I love wikipedia.
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

Radiant

Well. I wanted to join this MAGS because I enjoy parody, but I don't watch TV often enough to do anything meaningful with characters from a well-known show. So I guess some other time.

mwahahaha

Well I started something based on the Adams family but after realising that I had not seen an episode for about 7 years and also I went away so alas, no game.

Monsieur OUXX

So, no entry so far? Too bad, it was the perfect competition theme.

I played Akatosh's last entry (Me go away), I love his humor and would be pleased to see what special date he would invent for Me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk