MAGS 2007-11: Parody

Started by Klaus, Thu 01/11/2007 17:12:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckethead

Well I kinda had the same problem as more people here. I don't really know any series well enough enough to parody it. Only south park maybe but that isn't a very good one to use.

Radiant

Quote from: Mr. Buckéthead on Fri 23/11/2007 13:14:42
Only south park maybe but that isn't a very good one to use.

Yep, same here. My first choice was the Simpsons, but you can't really parody a series that's only barely serious to begin with. I suspect the same applies to South Park - you can't parody it because it parodies itself, constantly.

Akatosh

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Fri 23/11/2007 13:10:34
I played Akatosh's last entry (Me go away), I love his humor and would be pleased to see what special date he would invent for Me.

Hmm... who knows? Mrs. Store, probably.  ;)
/EDIT: Or a female background singer of "Stuff!" or "Guard" or something like that. Dunno. Too bad the only semi-serious TV series I know is Monk. :P

/EDIT EDIT: Now you quickstarted my creativity and it's already setting the imagination ablaze. I hope you're happy.  >:( :=

paolo

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Fri 23/11/2007 13:10:34
So, no entry so far? Too bad, it was the perfect competition theme.

Have patience... they tend to come in at the last minute. My entry is nearly complete.

EDIT:

OK, it's here!

"ANTI-HEROES" is a parody of the TV show "Heroes".

Join Ethan Patchouli and the other Anti-heroes in his quest to save... well, you'll see when you play the game.

* The game takes place on Thanksgiving Day.
* One of the characters brings a weird date.
* See Ethan do something (or possibly two things) that's out of character for him!
* There is a tooth in the inventory.

Download link: see the listing for the game in Recently added games

Like any other parody, it won't make much sense unless you've seen the original, It should still be fun to play even if you've never seen "Heroes" - it's just you won't understand the jokes.

Apologies in advance that some of the clickable areas are a bit small. I hope this doesn't put anyone off.

I did everything myself, so don't expect graphics as good as those in "Trance-Pacific". They are halfway decent, though.

Oh, and by the way, here in the UK we're just coming up to the end of the first series (episode 20 was this week), so some of the gags might look out of date to those of you who are watching the second series.

UPDATE: The download link isn't working for some unknown reason. Click on the "Visit website" link (http://www.freewebs.com/paoloags) instead and scroll down to the bottom of the page to find a link that does work.

Jon

Paolo, the game link just redirects me to the newly added games section..

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

FSi++

If I may ask for another day to finish my game, as it's almost ready...

Klaus

Quote from: FSi on Sun 25/11/2007 16:41:33
If I may ask for another day to finish my game, as it's almost ready...
Well, in that case there's not that much time for voting as we only have 30 days in November. So people need to be quick then... But okay, so let's set the final deadline: November 27th, 12h GMT - that is 43 hours from now (see timestamp of this posting). I hope that's okay for all...

paolo

Quote from: Jon on Sun 25/11/2007 15:56:55
Paolo, the game link just redirects me to the newly added games section..

That's funny - it doesn't work fo me, either, but the download URL is correct: http://www.freewebs.com/paoloags/Anti-heroes.zip http://www.freewebs.com/paoloags/Anti-heroes.1.1.zip Funnily enough, though, if you click on the link I've just mentioned, it takes you to this thread. Something wrong with the AGS forums software, perhaps? Or am I doing something wrong?

You can of course download the game by going to the website.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

FreeWebs doesn't allow linking like that. You have to, as I said before, right-click save-as. But seems like people don't read many of my posts nowadays...

Kneel. Now.

Nikolas

Paolo: Freewebs doesn't allow you to link like that. You have to right click and save as for it to work... I don' think anybody said that...  :P

I just couldn't resist... so sorry...  :-[

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Heh. Actually got a smile from me there. :)

Don't apologize - you should never resist a joke. ;)

Kneel. Now.

paolo

As we're still before the deadline, I've tweaked my game slightly... the final puzzle was too much of a pixel hunt, so I've added feedback, as well as fixing a couple of bugs and typos.

FSi++

Ok, Me Go Cannibal Jungle is ready (it was made in collaboration, don't be too scared).
It's based on the movie Cannibal Holocaust by Ruggero Deodato (and features most of its original cast: Harold Monroe (Robert Kerman), Faye Daniels (Francesca Ciardi), Jack Anders (Perry Pirkanen), Alan Yates (Carl Gabriel Yorke), and much more!).

Screenshot:

Download:
http://misendeavour.com/getfile.php?file=mgcj.rar

Game page later.

Klaus

Here we go...

For voting please visit the MAGS site or make your choice right here:

Me Go Cannibal Jungle by FSi
Anti-heroes by paolo

Please vote only once and be sure to have played all games before sending your voice! Good luck to all participants.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Klaus on Tue 27/11/2007 11:17:12
Me Go Cannibal Jungle by FSi
Anti-heroes by paolo

Paolo's entry was nice, with funny dialogs, and I'd especially like to salute the work he did on his characters, they really look like the actors from the series, but in lo-res! quite impressive.
Nevertheless, the narration is a bit linear, and the long dialogs make it a bit boring.

FSi's entry has a humor similar to Akatosh's one, but it's not the most important - the gameplay fits perfectly the action, the puzzles are simple but come right on time to make you feel like you are controlling what happens. And there are those weird little tunes to spice it up

I vote for FSi

paolo

Um, I've played FSi and Akatosh's game, but
Spoiler
I didn't see a tooth in the inventory...
[close]
Did I miss something?

FSi++

Oh, sweet Yeti of Serengeti! I forgot. Dung.

I added the tooth in the v1.1 of the game (which is available by the same URL)...
It also features bloodier zombie fights, fixed easter egg and bonus level (which was inaccessible in the old version). Bonus level features unlimited (if I fixed all the bugs) number of zombies to shoot, but you have to do a highly inobvious thing. Hope I intrigued you all enough.

If I'm getting disqualified for that - well, c'est la vie.

Klaus

It's a new month already and so here's the result of the voting:

Winner this time is...
paolo with his entry Anti-heroes.
Congratulations!

FSi: Many thanks for your entry, too - and of course you're not disqualified...
paolo: Please check your PM - if you didn't do so already :)

paolo

Wow, I'm surprised. With all the effort Akatosh and FSi put into their game (bonus levels, arcade-style shoot-out, etc) I was sure they were going to win. Congratulations to them too on an impressive game.

Thank you to everyone who voted for me. Time to put on my thinking cap for December's rules.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk