Unable to initialize audio hardware

Started by DrewCCU, Wed 26/12/2007 04:41:57

Previous topic - Next topic

DrewCCU

whenever i try to run a AGS game i get a pop up that says:

Unable to initialize your audio hardware.
[Problem: Failed to init MIDI music driver]

the game runs but theres no sound/music.

i'm running windows vista but i don't usually have problems with the midi driver.  And no, there's not any other programs that would be using the midi driver running while i run the game - so i know the driver is not in use when i run the game.  I don't know - I'm kind of stumped.  Any ideas?
"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."
-John Williams

Barbarian

From the AGS Wiki FAQs:
http://americangirlscouts.org/agswiki/Music%2C_Sound_%26_Speech

Error: "Unable to initialize your audio hardware (problem: Failed to init digital sound driver)"
When I test my game (which has NO sound or music yet), OR when I play someone else's game, I get an error that says, “Unable to initialize your audio hardware (problem: Failed to init digital sound driver)”. What is the problem?

Well, so far three things have helped some people:

First off, make sure Windows Media Player isn't already running in the background. This can screw things up. Close all programs that even use WMP, like some FireFox extensions do. There also might be other programs that use the digital sound driver, like Winamp, QuickTime Player, and Real Video Player. I'm not sure if these programs use the same drivers that AGS does, but it's worth closing them all just in case.

Go into your DirectX settings program (usually "dxdiag.exe", sometimes in a "386" folder). Click on the sounds tab and move the slider to "Full Acceleration". Try it now.

Also, a much quicker way is to open up the Game Setup window in AGS and change the digital sound setting from "Default Direct Sound" to "Default WaveOut Device".
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk