Indiana Jones - Coming of Age

Started by ripsnorter, Sun 06/01/2008 13:40:21

Previous topic - Next topic

ripsnorter

ABOUT

A fan based Indiana Jones point and click adventure game. Consists of just one room from which Indy must escape.  Should take between 10 and 30 minutes to solve given your experience with similar games.

STORY

Indy has just got back from his Holy Grail adventures and gone in search of more adventure.  This time Indy and Marcus are in an ancient temple and that's where the challenge begins...

SCREENSHOT

DOCUMENTATION

I've documented some quick instructions (for those new to this type of game), along with what I've learnt and found useful as a first time AGS game developer, in the IndyCOAManual.txt file distributed with the game.

There is also a walkthrough if you get stuck (IndyCOAWalkthrough.txt).

DOWNLOAD

Two links below... one for just those who want to play it... a second for those who want to view/use the source (code, art etc).  Feel free to use whatever you find useful (beginners might find this a useful game to dissect given it doesn't stray much from the default game template, and the manual contains some beginner 'lessons learnt').

Indiana Jones - Coming of Age: Game only, for general distribution (1.5MB) (or direct from here).

Indiana Jones - Coming of Age: Source Code and supporting images, sounds etc (2.5MB).

RESOLUTION ISSUES

This game is in 320x200 resolution (16 bit colour) so may not appear correctly on newer graphics cards.  If you receive the error:
  "There was a problem initializing graphics mode 320x200 (16-bit). (Problem: 'Can not set video mode')"
then there is a winsetup.exe program in the IndyCOA folder which lets you change some defaults for when IndyCOA.exe runs... run winsetup and try either:
* Check the "Force alternate letterbox resolution"; or
* Select 640 x 400 resolution; or
* Use the 2x Graphics filter; or
* Run in a window instead of full screen (works but is pretty small)
(apparently running in a window with 640 x 400 resolution works well)

FEEDBACK

I made this game for nostalgic reasons and a bit of fun.  That being said, any feedback is appreciated.  I've added it to the "Short Games" section of the AGS web site, so you can leave a score there as well as provide any feedback in this forum.  Thanks to what is a great gaming community!

Rob Shattock
Well don't you see? The pen, and AGS, is mightier than the sword.

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

m0ds

Indiana Roger :D Looks fun!!! I shall play shortly. Thought I was in the GiP lounge... :p

Leon

What a great fun. The humour in this game! Brilliant! One remark though:

Spoiler
When looking at the flame I get two messages right after each other. Shouldn't the second one be there only after I put out the fire?
[close]
I've also made a walkthrough (as I do with all games I play). You can find it here.
Curious if this will be the first of more or just this one.
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

ripsnorter

Thanks for the feedback (and additional walkthrough), good to hear people are getting a laugh from it.

One piece of feedback I thought I'd get opinions on is below (obviously only read this if you've completed the game):

Spoiler
A few people have mentioned that the brick which must be clicked to reveal the hidden compartment with the scroll in it, is too much of a pixel hunt.  I figured that having the "Looking at: X" in the top right of the screen would help with the pixel hunt and not make it too difficult.  Given the feedback though, unless anyone thinks I should keep it the way it is, I'll update the wall graphic slightly to include a dotted outline around the hidden compartment - aiding in the pixel hunt.
[close]

tube

A great little game with some good lines and nice puzzle design. I look forward to your next project.

Quote from: ripsnorter on Tue 08/01/2008 01:17:49
Spoiler
A few people have mentioned that the brick which must be clicked to reveal the hidden compartment with the scroll in it, is too much of a pixel hunt.  I figured that having the "Looking at: X" in the top right of the screen would help with the pixel hunt and not make it too difficult.  Given the feedback though, unless anyone thinks I should keep it the way it is, I'll update the wall graphic slightly to include a dotted outline around the hidden compartment - aiding in the pixel hunt.
[close]

Spoiler
It's true that invisible objects are not puzzles, they're simply annoying. Although a dotted outline would probably be too obvious. I think it might be better if you just used a slightly different shade of the wall colour to bring out the tile, or maybe simply outline it like you did some of the other tiles but keep it separate from the other visibly tiled areas.

EDIT: I take that back. The new version looks just fine with the dashed outline.
[close]

ripsnorter

I've made a few minor updates, including tweaking the puzzle that people found annoying.  You should be giddy as a schoolboy when you play it now!  :=

ripsnorter

Final tweaks made after latest feedback (plus some fun obscure actions you may not have noticed the first time you played it) - in particular:

Spoiler

It is now more obvious to the user what the contents of each cup is when pouring from one to the other.

p.s. If you get frustrated trying to look for those final 20 points, just read the walkthrough! (had to put a challenge in for the more hardened gamers)... and for bonus points (and by bonus I mean negative 5), try lighting the fire pedestal twice.  The last thing I'll say is that you can talk to a few things on the screen, but you'll need to use the talk icon from the top of the screen (I've removed it from the right click options since it isn't required to complete the game).
[close]

paolo

Bug:

Spoiler
After putting out the flames, when you move the mouse over the button, the status bar still says "Looking at: Flames".
[close]

ripsnorter

Hey Paolo, thanks for the feedback.  Unfortunately in version 2.72 of AGS, it is currently not possible to change hotspot names at run-time.  So the bug you pointed out is something I was aware of but there wasn't really an elegant solution.  What I have done is obviously change the description depending on the state of said hotspot.  Overall I think it's a pretty minor issue anyway which hopefully doesn't detract too much from your Indy experience! Thanks!

CosmoQueen

Very nice game! I had a lot fun with it. Will there be a sequel?
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

ripsnorter

Thanks for the interest and feedback CosmoQueen.  As you know, Indy will always return for another adventure... it's just a case of when!  While Indy COA is obviously a complete game in itself, there is room for plenty more follow ups... it just depends on when I find the time a.k.a. have some holidays, and/or convince a few friends of mine to help out with the artwork etc.  For now you'll have to content yourself with the marvelous "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" and the great demos for "Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth", and "Indiana Jones and the Crown of Solomon" (these last two keep everyone on the edge of their seats in anticipation!).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk