Lost in the Nightmare: 'Save Our Souls' News: 29th of January

Started by Gord10, Sun 06/01/2008 16:26:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Gord10

Gord10 is proud to announce the deluxe version of Lost in the Nightmare;

I have released the deluxe version of my 2005 made AGS game Lost in the Nightmare.
As the original game was already released, you can read the review and/or download the old version of the game  right now from http://reloaded.org/download/Lost-In-Nightmare/116/

*Revisioned graphics

Changed the shadow/highlight and hue/saturation values and adding some extra filters like Diffuse Glow. And remade some of the scenes.
I wanted to give a dark, film-noiristic but still dreamy ambience to the game.

*A new level!

A terrifying extra level will be available to play when you finish the game with the good ending.
Some of the events on this new levels are depended on a decision you make, so it is a replayable level.

*New scenes and extra endings:

I have decided to add more scenes inside the game.
And two extra endings; one of is a death sequence and the other is a secret ending for saving the campers.

Some of the new scenes are going to make the game deserve the mature rating more.

*Bug fix:  Many major and minor bugs are fixed! I should have done this so earlier.
*Proofread: The game script is proofreaded by Jonathan Anson.
*More music: Now I have used some tracks of some of my favourite metal bands, like Rammstein. I can say the tracks I used went very well with some scenes of LitN.

Disclaimer for the original Lost in the Nightmare:

Are you ready for this? Then step into the dark world of Lost In The Nightmare and face your darkest dreams..
An 'interactive horror adventure' with pre-rendered 3D graphics and cutscenes with cinematical camera pitches.
This game is not recommended for the people who is below 18 years old.

The main character is Burak Guney, a private detective who used to work for the police. You are hired to find three university students who got lost in a forest near the Karabalta Town while camping. They have been lost for 3 months and the police couldn't find any clue what happened to them. You'll stay in Karatas Hotel during your investigate (The story will be supported by the cutscenes with cinematical camera pitches).

Pre-rendered 3D backgrounds taken from the Half-Life engine are used in Lost In The Nightmare. I'm preparing the HL maps with Valve Hammer Editor by myself and using modified versions of the textures and models of the mods like They Hunger, Medieval World.

DOWNLOAD (138.8 MB)

I haven't included a bonus trivia document as I had promised, I am sorry about it.

January 8th, 2008 news:
New download link.
The game is now hosted on a much better server.
http://www.bitwise-studios.com/gord10/litn_sos2.zip
So the players get rid of RapidShare and my old crappy host that can corrupt the files while downlad.

Many thanks to Ragnor!

And I apologize to everyone again for this host/download problems. I am ashamed. 
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Dualnames

There is GOD..Second time I write this.. :-X
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

IceMan

Aagh!!  2 hours d'loading only to find the zip file is corrupt!  Could you check it to see if it was just a problem my end?  I'm really looking forward to playing this!

Galen

This is the type of file a multi-part download would be useful for.

Frodo

I get corrupted file as well.   :'(

It says 'Error: Load_Room: Bad packed file'

motukutonga

Winrar says that the exe. file is corrupted and would not properly extract itself out of the download file.  Winrar also reported that a few resource files were corrupted too.

Gord10

Oh damn :( I had to upload the game to the host multiple times because of the errors in my FTP software, but this new upload just seemed successful to me, as I could download the .zip file.

But now I am uploading it again.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Gord10

New link is
http://dosya.coolbluegames.com/litn_sos.zip
Should be working now.

I apologise to everyone for that old corrupted file  :-[

Second edit: There is still the corrupted file error! Arrgghh!

Third edit: It seems like only one file, litn.021, was corrupted. I uploaded that file separately.
http://dosya.coolbluegames.com/corruptedfile.zip
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

m0ds

Is getting lost in a downloading nightmare part of your marketting strategy?  := Your game looks great!!!!!!! If time prevails I'll give it a whirl :)

vertigoaddict

I'll download it when I'm at home. I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad that this version has been proof read! ^_6

EDIT: Whoah....it takes about 12 hours for me to download! Good thing there's a 'resume support'!

Gord10

Quote from: m0ds on Mon 07/01/2008 01:39:28
Is getting lost in a downloading nightmare part of your marketting strategy?  := Your game looks great!!!!!!! If time prevails I'll give it a whirl :)
Actually it is the hardest puzzle of the game :P

@vertigo: ^_^
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

carl

I apologise to everyone for that old corrupted file  :-[

Second edit: There is still the corrupted file error! Arrgghh!

Third edit: It seems like only one file, litn.021, was corrupted. I uploaded that file separately.

The zip give a file corrupt from "crc failed in music.vox"

You can play the game but no music.vox

Leon

I tried this but my adventure consists of a lot of corrupted files. Not only music.vox:

!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in readme.rtf. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.001. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.002. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.003. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.004. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.005. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.006. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.007. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.008. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.009. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.010. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.011. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.012. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.013. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.014. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.015. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.016. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.017. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.018. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.019. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.020. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.021. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.022. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.023. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in litn.exe. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in music.vox. The file is corrupt
!   C:\litn_sos(3).zip: CRC failed in speech.vox. The file is corrupt

Downloaded it 4 times (137Mb each), all with this result. Maybe splitting the archive?
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Gilbert

What programme did you use to extract the files?

Gord10

I have used WinRar for the first archives and WinZip for the later archives. I was suspecting the problem was with the FTP or software tools but now it seems like it is the host I am using.

Now I uploaded the game to RapidShare, it must work now (otherwise, I will have to give up).

http://rapidshare.de/files/38235809/litn_sos2.zip.html

Hundreds of thanks to anyone who is still interested and want to play the game.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Galen

"Wait 100 seconds for no real reason."
*sigh* I hope the download doesn't timeout.

Gord10

And I have forgotten to apologize to players for Crapidshare  :-[ I hope someone mirrors the game in a host that is not crap.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Buckethead

Could you upload the music.vox? thats the only thing im still missing. Thanks

Galen

Wow,  looking at the download, it stalled at about a meg downloaded. :P

PhantomNorik

Gord10, I think you meant January 8th, as October 8th hasn't happened yet.
Who needs an avatar?

Gord10

Ah damn... True. We were on January, not October. Thanks for warning me ^^;

By the way, has someone ever played the game? http://www.bitwise-studios.com/gord10/litn_sos2.zip is said to be working well by my other friends. (you can shoot me if it is corrupted again)
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

IceMan

Works fine for me!  Didn't even need the extra zip for the music.vox either.  I haven't got too far through it yet (it's best played in the dark!  :P) but I'm hoping to save those campers this time around!

Great work!

Buckethead

I have played it, but it seemed so death with any music. So I'm downloading it now.

Galen

Hey, it worked.

:)

It seems a little strange not being able to talk to the guy at the desk though, once "it
" happens. Interacting with him shows a phrase, I'm not sure if it's the guy's name or a part that hasn't been translated.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

You know, I can't tell you how disappointed I am that you did not add the "arrows on movement spots" I suggested waaaaaaaaaay back when, with the original LitN. Also, this is one of those games which would SERIOUSLY benefit from a gamma slider...

...nevertheless, good on ye for coming through with it and releasing it!
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

MYKAYEL

I agree about the movement arrow things. The story is very good, but the interface sucks big time. Thats why I hated this game, but I'll give it a shot non-the-less. Oh, another thing, I noticed you jacked the music from Silent Hill and Resident Evil. When I wanted to use music from other games, a lot of people on this site started to bust my balls about the illegality of it all. Aldo I DON'T SEE THE HARM in using music from other games, I mean, it does give you game a certain atmosphere. So, bottom line, I'm gonna jack music for my game as well :P
Oh, sorry for the rude comment on the In Production forums, the game isn't all that bad, but you should think about using less...confusing interface and graphics.

Dualnames

Tell that to the guy that made the music.. jesus this guy(we bust his balls).. PM a music composer that worked on a commercial AGS game that "Hey, i'll rip your music for which you worked so hard." not everything on this world is free. Learn that fast.
Sorry for posting off - topic. Anyway the game is good. Really liked the atmosphere.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

MYKAYEL

Quote from: Dualnames on Thu 10/01/2008 11:58:38
Tell that to the guy that made the music.. jesus this guy(we bust his balls).. PM a music composer that worked on a commercial AGS game that "Hey, i'll rip your music for which you worked so hard." not everything on this world is free. Learn that fast.
Sorry for posting off - topic. Anyway the game is good. Really liked the atmosphere.

I KNOW THAT! What I'm trying to say is that when I was gonna rip the music, everyone was telling me that it would be a bad move, and that it's illegal and all sorts of shit. When this guy rips THE EXACT same tracks, nobody even comments about it. :| I just don't think thats fair.

Galen

Those ambient drones and other horror type music and sounds can be obtained from free sources like the one in my sig (they are alot of sound designers that add their stuff for free on there).

Gord10

@Crazy: Thank you very much for this resource.

And about using the ripped musics; it was too hard for me to decide whether the game would be silent or using qualified .ogg musics in it (even if they were ripped). I believe those musics really improved the game's atmosphere, all I want to do is to create an impressing game.

I am still worried I have done something terribly wrong; but with the courage of not getting warned by a music company in this 2 years, I made the braver decision. I will remove the music content (or maybe the game itself) if I get in trouble with it, but I don't think any company would even hear of my little game. (and also I don't think they would care too much as the tracks are already being listened on YouTube)

If I would find free music sources and  someone to make original tracks that could displace the old ones, I will remove that ripped musics.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Eniena

Well, it's out and one of the first things I did when the game finished downloading was to see how my proofreading turned out.

Gord did make some alterations to my proofreading that only reverted much of the game's dialogue back to its original state of unkempt english. I was thankful to find out alot of the other lines of dialogue remained the way I rewrote them in my last proofreading session.

This is largely because Gord didn't give me complete control over the script and the script was for the original version of Lost in the Nightmare and not this version. I've since had a chance to talk to Gord and is ready at any time to send me over the script for this version and once again let me proofread it.

As for the rest of the game, all I can really say is it sure has purty graphics!

MYKAYEL

Gord10, dude, I'm not saying that you did anything wrong. I mean, it's not like you're selling it. Aldo, I suggest you credit the musical artists at the game ending. That's what I'm gonna do, it's better to credit them for their hard work. Don't bother removing the music, the game will lose a lot of it's atmosphere. Oh, and as for Crazy:
I'm not referring to the ambient sounds (thanks for the links btw) I'm talking about the Akira Yamaoka songs. I'm a huge fan of Akira and I know the songs by heart, thats all.
Oh, Gord10, I have a few suggestions for ending songs in case you want to make another horror game. PM me if you're interested. And also, could you help me out? I seem to be stuck in the game. I feel like I've missed something in the first day but I can't quite figure out what. PM me with all the things that I should do in the first day (first being after the...night). Thanks ^^

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteGord did make some alterations to my proofreading that only reverted much of the game's dialogue back to its original state of unkempt english.

Boy, am I glad you said that. During the intro I had to check 3 times to make sure I was playing the Deluxe version, and with the new translation. Didn't want to sound moany and complainy after the previous post I made (which Gord saddened me by not replying, adressing or acknowledging), but the "proofread" version, in parts, doesn't look proofread at all...

EDIT - And apparently Gord didn't take notice of my suggestion to reverse the icons, either, regardless of the fact that *red* is much more often a highlight than *grey*. Indeed, after just loading the game, it looks exactly the same as it did before, and makes one wonder whether it's of any use, any use at all, to make helpful suggestions which might make the game better. I know I won't be doing it again any time soon.

EDIT 2 - And I'm gonna quote myself from the previous game thread:

Quote2 - Room transitions are so SLOW! At least give us the option to make them instant, or something.

In general, everything about the game's gameplay that could stand to see some improvement is basically the same. I am truly disappointed, I must say. I'd reccomend you save all the energy you're putting into finding original music (I don't see what's the big deal, with you or mykael or anyone, with using ripped music) and revamp this properly... but I know you won't.

Kneel. Now.

Gord10

Thanks.

I had thought of using the arrow cursor idea of Rui, but it would need a big effort to adjust all the moving hotspots of the game. I wish I was able to remake the game from the beginning, I would made it more comfortable to play.

But now I noticed that I have made a terrible mistake: I think I have compiled a proofread script text that is half blank. Thus, the half of the proofreaded scripts were not seen in the game! And I can't find the real script to be compiled that I had edited.

I apologize to everyone (especially Eniena) for my this mistake, now I am editing the finished proofreaded script of Eniena in order to compile it.

And an edit: Arrrgghhh, now I can't get that original proofreaded script to work!
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Eniena

In regards to your complaints Rui, I actually did try presenting the idea of making new icons for the new version of Living in the Nightmare. Among my ideas I believe I suggested an icon for talking and an icon for walking.

I also think I suggested implimenting a compass to indicate where the player could move.

Hell, even I would've liked Gord to try and make these ideas a reality.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

My conscience won't let me not say this.

Although there are things which should have been improved since the first version...

...although the game direly needs a gamma slider and INSTANT transitions instead of fade outs, at least where navigation is concerned...

...although the text is still not much better than it was, because of  what Gord already said...

...despite all that, it is still nevertheless a good, solid story, with great atmosphere, that has drawn me in all over again.

Kneel. Now.

Eniena

One thing I'm going to ask Gord this time around is that he give me more control over the script and its dialogue. If the dialogue for the new version isn't improved as many people are saying, I think the problem is simply because I wasn't given enough control the first time.

This is a live and learn scenario. Sorry if the debut of this new version of LITN was dissapointing in this regard.

Galen

Aslong as the translation is available seperately, lest I download another 100 something megs.

Buckethead

Well I've played the game for a while and here are my critics:

The game feels a little slow with the way you move around. But after playing for a while I got used to it and then it wasn't so bad. Could indeed be alot faster without the fading. Also so far there seem to be alot of rooms where you just have to "walk" through. I think it would have been better if you had used a map or something to jump from point to point. You know like in Ben Jordan 5.

The story is great. Togheter with the music it gave great atmosphere. The graphics were a little messy . They were obviously made with Half live 1 or something and I'm not sure what to think of the crompression, but they did the job alright. Personally I'm not too fed up with you using music from other games, just would have been nice if you gredited the original authors... oh well maybe you will in the end gredits... I'm not that far yet.

Overall I think it's a pretty nice game and I think most horror fans could enjoy it.

Gord10

Thanks :) Yes, I have used the graphic engine of Half-Life.

Quote from: Crazy on Sun 13/01/2008 10:06:51
Aslong as the translation is available seperately, lest I download another 100 something megs.
The proofread will be downloaded as .tra file that is about 200 KB's.

It will take one or two day for me to release the proofread file, as the original full proofread script has some space errors that needs to be fixed (it is just erasing the excess blank lines, but it is taking hours!).
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Leon

Finally finished the 'game'. Was more like an interactive movie to me because there was a lot of walking, a lot of dialogues and not too many real puzzles. That's why I was stuck at Efe's. The timeframe there is very short. Certainly compared to the graveyard scene at the end where you seem to have all the time in the world.

A few things I noticed:

- A lot of red. I think a bit too much. It doesn't improve the graphical quality of the game. Some screens were very blurry. A red filter on a screen, ok, but 3/4 of the game is red & black.
-The asperine. No matter what I say, I don't get it from Taner. (So why the question?)
-The english. A lot has been said here already. Needs a lot of improvement.
-The duration of some of the dialogues. Some are too short to be completely read. Why must some boxes be clicked, others not? Why not let them all be clicked so the player can read at his own speed (that's a general comment I have, not only for this game).
-The tarot-game. I think a bit too early in the game 'cause I hadn't really get to know the people yet (especially Cagri and Alper). So it became more of a guessing/try&error than rational thinking.
-The action-icons. Looking becomes walking, using becomes looking, using becomes walking. Very frustrating. At some point you're afraid to look at something, scared to move to a point you don't want to go yet.

The story was good, the choice of music made it even more a nightmare. But not to play.

I'm very curious what will be next. btw, I made a walkthrough. You can find it here.

Gord10

Thanks everyone for the comments. And thank you Leon for the walkthrough; but I think the other scenes, which would be available when we choose something different (like killing the baby or not trying to save Alper Taner in the good ending's extra level), should have been included in the walkthrough.

About the critiques; I see and admit they are all true. I should had done the gameplay much more comfortable, even if I had to re-adjust the whole transition hotspots. And sorry again for the absent half of the proofread, I have been working on the original proofreaded script to make it work in AGS (it seems like I have overwritten on the real finished proofread script with something wrong) on my free times that are left from studying. I think it was a big failure of mine to release this as a new game, instead of just changing the download link of the original game.

You can be sure my next games will be much more comfortable to play (and will be released on a schedule of mine when I will not be busy with my final exams. *cries*)
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Lamak

Gord10, the third picture on your first post really disturbs me. Yep, the red one.

Because of the composition, I always think that Burak's leg is the foreground character's dick.

Leon

@Gord10:

You're right. I'll add the other two storylines as well.

Gord10

Quote from: Andy R. on Mon 14/01/2008 18:05:33
Gord10, the third picture on your first post really disturbs me. Yep, the red one.

Because of the composition, I always think that Burak's leg is the foreground character's dick.
Subliminal advertising, heh :D

Seriously, I hadn't noticed it. I would change it if I did.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Galen

Spoiler
I'm confused by the tarot card puzzle, I'm guessing either the player or the hotel owner (unable to leave = condemned?) is the hanged man, that's about it.
[close]
Spoiler failed.

Gord10

Solution:
Spoiler
Hanged Man is Burak Güney, the player character. There is another reason why Şaban can't leave the hotel.
[close]

And some news:
Firstly, a quote from the Story Analysis and Post Mortem text of LlitN that I am currently writing:
QuoteOne of the most important features of the deluxe version was the proofreaded English texts, but more than the half of the lines were absent in the deluxe version (I think it is because I used the "Update Translation Source" option of AGS on the edited original proofreaded script in a careless way. And I noticed it after releasing LitN:SOS!). As I have lost the edited version of the proofreads  (some editions like deleting the excess space lines were required in order to make the proofread work in AGS), I had to edit the original proofreads, a work that would take my hours/days just on my final exams week!

I finished editing the original proofread script. The real working proofread is ready. But I am waiting for Eniena to complete the proofread of the extra level of the game (the first version was not including it; even if it wasn't buggy).
I will release the proofreading .tra file as soon as I am able to add Eniena's extra level proofread.

And second news is, as I have mentioned above, I am writing a Story Analysis and Post Mortem document. I think it will be available with the new .tra file.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

vertigoaddict

Just completed a few endings...

THIS GAME ROCKS!

and that's quite an achievement! (I don't often use the term 'rocks')

InCreator

Stylish start, creepy atmosphere, nice graphics...

And yet, I can't play this game.
I simply cannot. Where to go? How to go? Where am I? Use this man for talking?
Why is everything black? What room did I have to get to? Aah, quit!

Sorry Gord10. I just posted to tell that this game isn't available for everyone.
I'm sure you spent helluva lot of time on this, but some things are simply TOO left out to make this appealing.

Why isn't there some aid for directions, like changing cursors? A bit more lights in rooms? Maybe a diary of protagonist explaining things and goals? A map of the town? Some-thing to help out a bit? Like HOTSPOT names?

Also, nice 3D mixed with awful 2D sounds... lazy. You surely could google for a photo of key and cut it out, instead of keeping original AGS sprite? Same for cursors...

Maybe myst-like games isn't simply my thing, but I really wanted to like this one.

vertigoaddict

The cursor changes colour everytime it goes over a hotspot, I thought that was good enough considering this game is free (if it was commercial, that's when I would have had problems).

If you don't know where to go, there is a walkthrough that Leon wrote, but only one of multiple endings. This game is mostly explore and talk really, often you'll find yourself going back and forth, automatically directed to cutscenes.

Gord10

I don't think being a freeware game is not an excuse for the hard gameplay :(

I agree with the critiques. But on the other hand I know it will sound weird but I think I like my game with that uncomfortable gameplay; it is really too hard for me to tell why.

Still, you can be sure I will make my next game with a much better gameplay to make the players happier, even though I would wish it to be uncomfortable.

And news: I have already finished the editing of the original proofread script; but I have to wait Eniena to finish the proofreading of the extra level (the extra level was not proofreaded even before the release of SOS) to release the real proofread .tra file.

And the writing of Story Analysis continues.   
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Eniena

Be sure and check you email, Gord. I've sent the proofread lines for the deluxe version to you.

Gord10

Finally I could finish the editing of the real proofread text. It took me days to edit the lines in order to make them work correct in AGS 0_o

For anyone who waits the proofread pack to start playing the game:
http://geocities.com/akk13us/MyExcuses.zip
Extract the Script3Sone.tra file into the folder of the game, run winsetup.exe and choose the Script3Sone.tra in the Language section.

And I have a good news to anyone who liked the game's story and would want to see its background:

I released the story analysis of LitN:
http://dosya.coolbluegames.com/story_analysis.htm
This had been such a highly personal and emotional documentation; you are warned. :P
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Galen

That may just have been scarier than the actual game. :O

vertigoaddict

My comments may contain spoilers, I couldn't comment in the comments page because I couldn't understand your language.

Spoiler
I remember when this bully splashed sodium hydroxide into my eye in chemistry class, it itched after a while, luckily the teacher was there and washed my eye properly. I also got a ciggarette bud thrown at my eye, it didn't miss but thank god for my reflexes, if I didn't close my eyes then I could have gone blind. A fairly recent danger to my eye was when I had a headache because this annoying teacher wouldn't shut up; I pressed the pencil against my head and it broke, sratching under my eyelid (again thank you reflex). Bullies liked to throw rocks and sharp objects at me because I was different, spoke english fluently and my father (although middle class) has quite high status.

I was a victim of verbal and physical abuse everyday and have attempted suicide, of course I was a coward or else I wouldn't be here now would I? The bullying distracted me and made me depressed, causing my grades to suffer as well. After reading this, I can relate to the main character more.

I can also relate to' lost one' (although not in terms of disability) I was fat as a child and people avoided me because of it (and perhaps my race too, kids can be so mean [4-5 years old] I was in an international school). The few 'friends' that I had were either 'friends' with me because I had nice crayons or nice lunches (they ate my lunch, but once, when I  asked for permission and ate their's someone thought I was stealing and I got into trouble; my 'friend' did not support me).

Anyways, thanks for sharing.
[close]

It was a good read, you should continue to make games like these (they'll probably be better, since you're more experienced now)

Eniena

In my proofreading of the game, I tried to make the corrected lines fit into Gord's original vision of Lost One being a kind of villian who basks in the powers he has been given. It was pretty hard to read his lines in the previous improper english and really imagine him enjoying himself in this regard.

After all, society is the true catalyst in his creation. Without them, there would be no Lost One. So, great going society, you pretty much signed your own death warrant in this regard.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

"There is a famous word", when it's a famous saying? "Being not able to see the future"? "Arif didn't cut the contact from me"? In the "Script3Sone.tra" file?

That's it, I've completely lost faith in ever seeing this game with proper english.

Kneel. Now.

Galen

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Honestly, I'd rather play the non-translated version, but that's just me. The non-translation didn't bother me when I first played the game, because it was clear that the author wasn't native english and therefore I rather turned a blind eye. Besides, it did not impede my enjoyment of the story.

But after this rather large translation saga, I'd rather have found NO mistakes. Instead, I find oddities right on the introduction.

Ah well, maybe I'm too picky.

Kneel. Now.

Eniena

I'm actually thinking of asking Gord to allow me to proofread the game's script once again. Even I feel my work is unfinished whenever someone like Rui can still find mistakes where there should be none.

By the way, the correctly spoken version of that quote from the opening of the game is...

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."

That line is from H.P. Lovecraft's "The Call of Cthulhu".

If Gord allows me to do another proofreading, this is one of the many things I hope to fix in order to make the proper english translation more complete than it was before.

Renodox

It was an intesting game to be sure, but a bit too easy.  I got the best ending on my first try since the choices that could be made really weren't all that difficult to figure out.  The way I saw this, it was more of an interactive story than an actual game.  To make it a game, there needed to be more puzzles and exploration.  Still, as an early work, this game was great compared to many others.

The game is only letting me access inventory in certain places.

Gord10

Strange... The inventory screen should be accessable everywhere when Tab button is pressed or mouse cursor is moved to the left corner of the screen. I hadn't received a complain about it not working.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

die_to_xxx

I was really enjoying this game but it's still SO bug filled  :(
The game has crashed on me for no apparent reason 3 times now, the most recent being after the cut scene telling the story of Lost One.  Another was on the about screen from the main menu and I've forgotten where the 3rd one was.  I just get an error noise and then black screen.  VERY annoying.

I hadn't saved for a little while so am really grumpy at the idea of having to go back and do it ALL again.
A shame cause I really was enjoying it, even with the shaky control system and occasionally icky English.  :'(

Edit : Well I'm VERY thankful for the autosaves I didn't realize existed!  That saved some time.. and I managed to overcome the bug by just skipping the entire cutscene..  hope I didn't miss anything!  :-\

Edit 2 : Managed to finish the game!  Best ending too but I'm sort of confused.. where is the extra replayable level that's supposedly part of this new version?  As I said, got the best ending.. campers nicely saved.. just can't seem to find the extra part.. maybe I'm being dumb?  ???
--
~ 星

Gord10

@die_to_xxx:

Yes, it seems the game is still too buggy, many other things I didn't realise (but I couldn't see and wasn't informed about the bug that happens after Saban telling Lost One's story).

The extra level is the events after
Spoiler
trying to shoot Lost One with gun while he is lying on the floor.

The original game used to end when we pulled the trigger; the gun wasn't empty and we would manage to kill Lost One in that scene. What I have added is the events after L.O. escapes from Room 205.
[close]

@Everyone:
I am ashamed to say that I have realized a major bug in LitN:SOS.
I had added a GiveScore(6); line to the AGS room where the ending of the game would change (Spoiler: http://dosya.coolbluegames.com/513.jpg ) during the debugging (!) process of the game. I should had removed that line, but I have missed it. For this reason; even if the players didn't collect any points, they can still have the best ending if they manage to get into Room 513.  I have fixed that bug on the Turkish release, though.

I am so sorry for all of these :( 
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

die_to_xxx

Ah!  So basically I've already done the extra parts without realizing it?
I hadn't played the original of your game so I didn't realize that the ending was longer in this version!

Anyway, even with the bugs, I really enjoyed this game!  It was so like games such as Silent Hill but without the fighting (I personally am not a fan of fighting in games).. and since I love the Silent Hill atmosphere, I wasn't disappointed. 

I'm really busy with university and my band right now but, I'm actually a music university graduate and focused mainly in composition, so if you ever want help with music on  further releases, just let me know!  I'm a big fan of Yamaoka Akira (Silent Hill) and Uematsu Nobuo (Final Fantasy) so I'd say a lot of my work is influenced by them.

Looking forward to playing your next game!   ;D
--
~ 星

2ma2

I played through the game yesterday night, and I have mixed feelings about it. First off, you capture a surreal and horrific ambience through out the game - it is like you tread along a dark dream even when awake - and this I like. However, the game plays as an fixed story, just making you click your way to proceed without any actual gameplay. Using the game as a medium for telling stories is a double edged sword, where playability and storytelling compete for your attention. Instead, don't fear the explorative medium adventure gaming can be, to deliver the horror . The music, the ambience, the story - it all works together to thrust you headlong into a nightmare, but the limited gameplay makes for frustration and this is not good. You do play a detective but are not allowed to detect much of anything apart from the interviews.

Don't get me wrong, the project is greatly appreciated, even if I'm a fan of subtler horror, but game mechanics are crucial to a game. Keep experimenting, keep playing and keep struggling. There's potential here.

Nlogax

Yeah I agree with most of the comments on this thread- great piece of atmospheric interactive fiction, but I wish there had been more gameplay elements.

Also, because I'm English I found the Turkish names of the characters were kind of too similar and I got confused as to who was being talked about. Maybe next time give the characters more varied names?

2ma2

That's as logical as making English remakes of European movies. We can't have our western minds taken into consideration in everything. What about complete Fantasy names as elven Methiviel or Helkaathiel? Should they be named Steve and Helen?

Also, there's a nice touch to place the game in Turkey without making it a journey abroad for the protagonist. It's his home and this morbid nightmare is within it. To enhance this, I'd love a super deluxe version with Turkish voice acting. *hint hint*  :=

Eniena

Quote from: 2ma2 on Sun 02/03/2008 19:38:50
That's as logical as making English remakes of European movies. We can't have our western minds taken into consideration in everything. What about complete Fantasy names as elven Methiviel or Helkaathiel? Should they be named Steve and Helen?

Pretty hard to seriously take some fantasy character by the name of Steve the Berzerker when you really think about it.

Nlogax

QuoteWhat about complete Fantasy names as elven Methiviel or Helkaathiel? Should they be named Steve and Helen?

If possible, yeah. I know people called Steve and Helen so I can relate to characters named thus  ::)

In all seriousness though, if you were looking to make a LITN a commerically viable game you would have to at least partly Anglicise some of the character's names, imho.

uswin

For those of you guys who hasn't got a chance of playing this gem, it seem the original link already dead

so here is the mirror link of LITN Save our soul

http://www.mediafire.com/?gm6zigizgz39wd8

Enjoy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk