Lost in the Nightmare: 'Save Our Souls' News: 29th of January

Started by Gord10, Sun 06/01/2008 16:26:51

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomNorik

Gord10, I think you meant January 8th, as October 8th hasn't happened yet.
Who needs an avatar?

Gord10

Ah damn... True. We were on January, not October. Thanks for warning me ^^;

By the way, has someone ever played the game? http://www.bitwise-studios.com/gord10/litn_sos2.zip is said to be working well by my other friends. (you can shoot me if it is corrupted again)
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

IceMan

Works fine for me!  Didn't even need the extra zip for the music.vox either.  I haven't got too far through it yet (it's best played in the dark!  :P) but I'm hoping to save those campers this time around!

Great work!

Buckethead

I have played it, but it seemed so death with any music. So I'm downloading it now.

Galen

Hey, it worked.

:)

It seems a little strange not being able to talk to the guy at the desk though, once "it
" happens. Interacting with him shows a phrase, I'm not sure if it's the guy's name or a part that hasn't been translated.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

You know, I can't tell you how disappointed I am that you did not add the "arrows on movement spots" I suggested waaaaaaaaaay back when, with the original LitN. Also, this is one of those games which would SERIOUSLY benefit from a gamma slider...

...nevertheless, good on ye for coming through with it and releasing it!
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

MYKAYEL

I agree about the movement arrow things. The story is very good, but the interface sucks big time. Thats why I hated this game, but I'll give it a shot non-the-less. Oh, another thing, I noticed you jacked the music from Silent Hill and Resident Evil. When I wanted to use music from other games, a lot of people on this site started to bust my balls about the illegality of it all. Aldo I DON'T SEE THE HARM in using music from other games, I mean, it does give you game a certain atmosphere. So, bottom line, I'm gonna jack music for my game as well :P
Oh, sorry for the rude comment on the In Production forums, the game isn't all that bad, but you should think about using less...confusing interface and graphics.

Dualnames

Tell that to the guy that made the music.. jesus this guy(we bust his balls).. PM a music composer that worked on a commercial AGS game that "Hey, i'll rip your music for which you worked so hard." not everything on this world is free. Learn that fast.
Sorry for posting off - topic. Anyway the game is good. Really liked the atmosphere.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

MYKAYEL

Quote from: Dualnames on Thu 10/01/2008 11:58:38
Tell that to the guy that made the music.. jesus this guy(we bust his balls).. PM a music composer that worked on a commercial AGS game that "Hey, i'll rip your music for which you worked so hard." not everything on this world is free. Learn that fast.
Sorry for posting off - topic. Anyway the game is good. Really liked the atmosphere.

I KNOW THAT! What I'm trying to say is that when I was gonna rip the music, everyone was telling me that it would be a bad move, and that it's illegal and all sorts of shit. When this guy rips THE EXACT same tracks, nobody even comments about it. :| I just don't think thats fair.

Galen

Those ambient drones and other horror type music and sounds can be obtained from free sources like the one in my sig (they are alot of sound designers that add their stuff for free on there).

Gord10

@Crazy: Thank you very much for this resource.

And about using the ripped musics; it was too hard for me to decide whether the game would be silent or using qualified .ogg musics in it (even if they were ripped). I believe those musics really improved the game's atmosphere, all I want to do is to create an impressing game.

I am still worried I have done something terribly wrong; but with the courage of not getting warned by a music company in this 2 years, I made the braver decision. I will remove the music content (or maybe the game itself) if I get in trouble with it, but I don't think any company would even hear of my little game. (and also I don't think they would care too much as the tracks are already being listened on YouTube)

If I would find free music sources and  someone to make original tracks that could displace the old ones, I will remove that ripped musics.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Eniena

Well, it's out and one of the first things I did when the game finished downloading was to see how my proofreading turned out.

Gord did make some alterations to my proofreading that only reverted much of the game's dialogue back to its original state of unkempt english. I was thankful to find out alot of the other lines of dialogue remained the way I rewrote them in my last proofreading session.

This is largely because Gord didn't give me complete control over the script and the script was for the original version of Lost in the Nightmare and not this version. I've since had a chance to talk to Gord and is ready at any time to send me over the script for this version and once again let me proofread it.

As for the rest of the game, all I can really say is it sure has purty graphics!

MYKAYEL

Gord10, dude, I'm not saying that you did anything wrong. I mean, it's not like you're selling it. Aldo, I suggest you credit the musical artists at the game ending. That's what I'm gonna do, it's better to credit them for their hard work. Don't bother removing the music, the game will lose a lot of it's atmosphere. Oh, and as for Crazy:
I'm not referring to the ambient sounds (thanks for the links btw) I'm talking about the Akira Yamaoka songs. I'm a huge fan of Akira and I know the songs by heart, thats all.
Oh, Gord10, I have a few suggestions for ending songs in case you want to make another horror game. PM me if you're interested. And also, could you help me out? I seem to be stuck in the game. I feel like I've missed something in the first day but I can't quite figure out what. PM me with all the things that I should do in the first day (first being after the...night). Thanks ^^

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteGord did make some alterations to my proofreading that only reverted much of the game's dialogue back to its original state of unkempt english.

Boy, am I glad you said that. During the intro I had to check 3 times to make sure I was playing the Deluxe version, and with the new translation. Didn't want to sound moany and complainy after the previous post I made (which Gord saddened me by not replying, adressing or acknowledging), but the "proofread" version, in parts, doesn't look proofread at all...

EDIT - And apparently Gord didn't take notice of my suggestion to reverse the icons, either, regardless of the fact that *red* is much more often a highlight than *grey*. Indeed, after just loading the game, it looks exactly the same as it did before, and makes one wonder whether it's of any use, any use at all, to make helpful suggestions which might make the game better. I know I won't be doing it again any time soon.

EDIT 2 - And I'm gonna quote myself from the previous game thread:

Quote2 - Room transitions are so SLOW! At least give us the option to make them instant, or something.

In general, everything about the game's gameplay that could stand to see some improvement is basically the same. I am truly disappointed, I must say. I'd reccomend you save all the energy you're putting into finding original music (I don't see what's the big deal, with you or mykael or anyone, with using ripped music) and revamp this properly... but I know you won't.

Kneel. Now.

Gord10

Thanks.

I had thought of using the arrow cursor idea of Rui, but it would need a big effort to adjust all the moving hotspots of the game. I wish I was able to remake the game from the beginning, I would made it more comfortable to play.

But now I noticed that I have made a terrible mistake: I think I have compiled a proofread script text that is half blank. Thus, the half of the proofreaded scripts were not seen in the game! And I can't find the real script to be compiled that I had edited.

I apologize to everyone (especially Eniena) for my this mistake, now I am editing the finished proofreaded script of Eniena in order to compile it.

And an edit: Arrrgghhh, now I can't get that original proofreaded script to work!
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Eniena

In regards to your complaints Rui, I actually did try presenting the idea of making new icons for the new version of Living in the Nightmare. Among my ideas I believe I suggested an icon for talking and an icon for walking.

I also think I suggested implimenting a compass to indicate where the player could move.

Hell, even I would've liked Gord to try and make these ideas a reality.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

My conscience won't let me not say this.

Although there are things which should have been improved since the first version...

...although the game direly needs a gamma slider and INSTANT transitions instead of fade outs, at least where navigation is concerned...

...although the text is still not much better than it was, because of  what Gord already said...

...despite all that, it is still nevertheless a good, solid story, with great atmosphere, that has drawn me in all over again.

Kneel. Now.

Eniena

One thing I'm going to ask Gord this time around is that he give me more control over the script and its dialogue. If the dialogue for the new version isn't improved as many people are saying, I think the problem is simply because I wasn't given enough control the first time.

This is a live and learn scenario. Sorry if the debut of this new version of LITN was dissapointing in this regard.

Galen

Aslong as the translation is available seperately, lest I download another 100 something megs.

Buckethead

Well I've played the game for a while and here are my critics:

The game feels a little slow with the way you move around. But after playing for a while I got used to it and then it wasn't so bad. Could indeed be alot faster without the fading. Also so far there seem to be alot of rooms where you just have to "walk" through. I think it would have been better if you had used a map or something to jump from point to point. You know like in Ben Jordan 5.

The story is great. Togheter with the music it gave great atmosphere. The graphics were a little messy . They were obviously made with Half live 1 or something and I'm not sure what to think of the crompression, but they did the job alright. Personally I'm not too fed up with you using music from other games, just would have been nice if you gredited the original authors... oh well maybe you will in the end gredits... I'm not that far yet.

Overall I think it's a pretty nice game and I think most horror fans could enjoy it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk