Lost in the Nightmare: 'Save Our Souls' News: 29th of January

Started by Gord10, Sun 06/01/2008 16:26:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Eniena

I'm actually thinking of asking Gord to allow me to proofread the game's script once again. Even I feel my work is unfinished whenever someone like Rui can still find mistakes where there should be none.

By the way, the correctly spoken version of that quote from the opening of the game is...

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."

That line is from H.P. Lovecraft's "The Call of Cthulhu".

If Gord allows me to do another proofreading, this is one of the many things I hope to fix in order to make the proper english translation more complete than it was before.

Renodox

It was an intesting game to be sure, but a bit too easy.  I got the best ending on my first try since the choices that could be made really weren't all that difficult to figure out.  The way I saw this, it was more of an interactive story than an actual game.  To make it a game, there needed to be more puzzles and exploration.  Still, as an early work, this game was great compared to many others.

The game is only letting me access inventory in certain places.

Gord10

Strange... The inventory screen should be accessable everywhere when Tab button is pressed or mouse cursor is moved to the left corner of the screen. I hadn't received a complain about it not working.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

die_to_xxx

I was really enjoying this game but it's still SO bug filled  :(
The game has crashed on me for no apparent reason 3 times now, the most recent being after the cut scene telling the story of Lost One.  Another was on the about screen from the main menu and I've forgotten where the 3rd one was.  I just get an error noise and then black screen.  VERY annoying.

I hadn't saved for a little while so am really grumpy at the idea of having to go back and do it ALL again.
A shame cause I really was enjoying it, even with the shaky control system and occasionally icky English.  :'(

Edit : Well I'm VERY thankful for the autosaves I didn't realize existed!  That saved some time.. and I managed to overcome the bug by just skipping the entire cutscene..  hope I didn't miss anything!  :-\

Edit 2 : Managed to finish the game!  Best ending too but I'm sort of confused.. where is the extra replayable level that's supposedly part of this new version?  As I said, got the best ending.. campers nicely saved.. just can't seem to find the extra part.. maybe I'm being dumb?  ???
--
~ 星

Gord10

@die_to_xxx:

Yes, it seems the game is still too buggy, many other things I didn't realise (but I couldn't see and wasn't informed about the bug that happens after Saban telling Lost One's story).

The extra level is the events after
Spoiler
trying to shoot Lost One with gun while he is lying on the floor.

The original game used to end when we pulled the trigger; the gun wasn't empty and we would manage to kill Lost One in that scene. What I have added is the events after L.O. escapes from Room 205.
[close]

@Everyone:
I am ashamed to say that I have realized a major bug in LitN:SOS.
I had added a GiveScore(6); line to the AGS room where the ending of the game would change (Spoiler: http://dosya.coolbluegames.com/513.jpg ) during the debugging (!) process of the game. I should had removed that line, but I have missed it. For this reason; even if the players didn't collect any points, they can still have the best ending if they manage to get into Room 513.  I have fixed that bug on the Turkish release, though.

I am so sorry for all of these :( 
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

die_to_xxx

Ah!  So basically I've already done the extra parts without realizing it?
I hadn't played the original of your game so I didn't realize that the ending was longer in this version!

Anyway, even with the bugs, I really enjoyed this game!  It was so like games such as Silent Hill but without the fighting (I personally am not a fan of fighting in games).. and since I love the Silent Hill atmosphere, I wasn't disappointed. 

I'm really busy with university and my band right now but, I'm actually a music university graduate and focused mainly in composition, so if you ever want help with music on  further releases, just let me know!  I'm a big fan of Yamaoka Akira (Silent Hill) and Uematsu Nobuo (Final Fantasy) so I'd say a lot of my work is influenced by them.

Looking forward to playing your next game!   ;D
--
~ 星

2ma2

I played through the game yesterday night, and I have mixed feelings about it. First off, you capture a surreal and horrific ambience through out the game - it is like you tread along a dark dream even when awake - and this I like. However, the game plays as an fixed story, just making you click your way to proceed without any actual gameplay. Using the game as a medium for telling stories is a double edged sword, where playability and storytelling compete for your attention. Instead, don't fear the explorative medium adventure gaming can be, to deliver the horror . The music, the ambience, the story - it all works together to thrust you headlong into a nightmare, but the limited gameplay makes for frustration and this is not good. You do play a detective but are not allowed to detect much of anything apart from the interviews.

Don't get me wrong, the project is greatly appreciated, even if I'm a fan of subtler horror, but game mechanics are crucial to a game. Keep experimenting, keep playing and keep struggling. There's potential here.

Nlogax

Yeah I agree with most of the comments on this thread- great piece of atmospheric interactive fiction, but I wish there had been more gameplay elements.

Also, because I'm English I found the Turkish names of the characters were kind of too similar and I got confused as to who was being talked about. Maybe next time give the characters more varied names?

2ma2

That's as logical as making English remakes of European movies. We can't have our western minds taken into consideration in everything. What about complete Fantasy names as elven Methiviel or Helkaathiel? Should they be named Steve and Helen?

Also, there's a nice touch to place the game in Turkey without making it a journey abroad for the protagonist. It's his home and this morbid nightmare is within it. To enhance this, I'd love a super deluxe version with Turkish voice acting. *hint hint*  :=

Eniena

Quote from: 2ma2 on Sun 02/03/2008 19:38:50
That's as logical as making English remakes of European movies. We can't have our western minds taken into consideration in everything. What about complete Fantasy names as elven Methiviel or Helkaathiel? Should they be named Steve and Helen?

Pretty hard to seriously take some fantasy character by the name of Steve the Berzerker when you really think about it.

Nlogax

QuoteWhat about complete Fantasy names as elven Methiviel or Helkaathiel? Should they be named Steve and Helen?

If possible, yeah. I know people called Steve and Helen so I can relate to characters named thus  ::)

In all seriousness though, if you were looking to make a LITN a commerically viable game you would have to at least partly Anglicise some of the character's names, imho.

uswin

For those of you guys who hasn't got a chance of playing this gem, it seem the original link already dead

so here is the mirror link of LITN Save our soul

http://www.mediafire.com/?gm6zigizgz39wd8

Enjoy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk