AGS 3.0 is now released!

Started by Pumaman, Sat 26/01/2008 12:14:04

Previous topic - Next topic

magichuck

Congratulations, now to get time to actually work on something.

fovmester

Downloaded version 3.0 and like the new editor a lot. One problem I found out though:

What happened to the tga support? I only use tga-files for graphics, since I've got the alpha-blending to work with both photoshop and ags for those files only. But now it seems I can no longer import tga-files into AGS!? Why the hell not, I must ask?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Ali - I kept meaning to mention it, but I plain forgot each time... I always get that, with the demo and with the default template (kept forgetting to report it!).
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Cinfa

Quote from: fovmester on Mon 28/01/2008 21:20:56
Downloaded version 3.0 and like the new editor a lot. One problem I found out though:

What happened to the tga support? I only use tga-files for graphics, since I've got the alpha-blending to work with both photoshop and ags for those files only. But now it seems I can no longer import tga-files into AGS!? Why the hell not, I must ask?
Use PNGs, are smaller and have alpha channel.

Pumaman

QuoteDid you paste it into a script header? I get the error by putting that code anywhere into a script header. It doesnt crash if I put the code into a main script.

Thanks, I've replicated the crash now. I'll get it fixed.

QuoteRunning the demo game I noticed something odd, which I don't think has been mentioned elsewhere. Black areas on the Save/Load GUI became invisible and during conversations, the mouse cursor 'painted' transparency onto the black of the dialogue GUI. This was using DX5.

Hmm yeah, well spotted -- that looks rather crap. It's probably an 8-bit specific problem, I'll look into it.

QuoteWhat happened to the tga support? I only use tga-files for graphics, since I've got the alpha-blending to work with both photoshop and ags for those files only. But now it seems I can no longer import tga-files into AGS!? Why the hell not, I must ask?

It's not a matter of removing formats, because the editor has been re-written from scratch. It was more a question of which formats to add. PCX and TGA have gone, and JPG and TIF have been added.

Can you batch convert your images to PNG, which should preserve the alpha channels?

fovmester

batch convert from tga to png? Should be possible I guess. I think I've got a handy software for a thing like that lying around somewhere... Anyway, thanks for the great job in putting together ags 3, CJ!

Snarky

Cinfa

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 28/01/2008 22:34:25
Err, Photoshop?  ;)
PNGOUT is more efficient.
If you have some basic scripting abilities, you can make a batch to convert multiple images at once.

Kweepa

Photoshop has batch conversion. It's called "Automation" or "Process multiple images" depending on the version.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

edmundito

Awesome!  I saw the news on this blog:

http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2008/01/indie_news_january_29th_1.html

Maybe I should make a game with it?  :=
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

alisa_tana

I like the new editor, mostly.

One thing that I'm not fond of, however, is when you were setting up interactions in the old version, there were some preset commands, now it looks like it's entirely all scripting.  Which for a non-scripter makes things a little more challenging.

Especially when I can't seem to get the Any Click on Object function to do anything.

Staale

Congrats on the big 3.0!

Maybe I have to pull my finger out of my butt and start working on some games now. :D

.M.M.

AGS 3.0 is interesting, but I have a problem. I had Graphicals variables and now, AGS told me it does not exist! :o
[EDIT] What happened with hints (if progamator wrote  player.Animate  it helped him and said how continue)     ?

Pumaman

QuoteOne thing that I'm not fond of, however, is when you were setting up interactions in the old version, there were some preset commands, now it looks like it's entirely all scripting.  Which for a non-scripter makes things a little more challenging.

I appreciate this, but a lot of the preset commands weren't very easy to use anyway. Having to select "Display message" and then go off and create a global message and put the number in was a bit of a faff, and hopefully by introducing people to scripting earlier on they'll see that it's really not that complicated.

QuoteAGS 3.0 is interesting, but I have a problem. I had Graphicals variables and now, AGS told me it does not exist!
[EDIT] What happened with hints (if progamator wrote  player.Animate  it helped him and said how continue)     ?

Your graphical variables should automatically be converted to variables in the script. As for the hints, they should still work as before. Are you having problems with them?

Radiant

I believe the AGS download page could use a link to this site.

That's because AGS 3.0 won't work without that dotnet plugin, and the dotnet plugin will refuse to install unless you have the "microsoft installer installer" first, AND downloading said installer from the official site is not possible if you're running an older version of windows.

As I'm running that I see that installing the installer installer from that patch site is also not possible unless you have the proper service packs installed first, which I'm sure will first require me to download an installer service installer pack service installer.

In other words, thanks to Mr. Bill Gates, upgrading from 2.72 to 3.0 is more complex than it sounds unless you're (apparently) running the latest versions of windows. And I'm sure most people interested in retro gaming have the exact latest version of everything. Yay.

edmundito

The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Baron

Ah, I've created an error!

I've only changed the colour (to 16 bit), the resolution (to 640x480), imported 30 or so sprites, put them into two views, created two characters, imported one room background and flooded the entire room with a walkable area (for testing).  I have not scripted anything.  I downloaded the latest version two days ago, so I think I'm up to date:

Error: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
Version: AGS 3.0.0.23

System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
   at GetRelativeSpriteWidth(Int32 )
   at AGS.Native.NativeMethods.GetRelativeSpriteWidth(Int32 spriteSlot)
   at AGS.Editor.ViewPreview.previewPanel_Paint(Object sender, PaintEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer, Boolean disposeEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

The error occurred when I hit CTRL S.  I had saved the game about an hour previous, with no problems.  Since then I had imported 10 character sprites, set up four loops in a view, named the view, created a new character (selecting the named view using browse), and made that new character the player character.  The game still works, except the new view will not be previewed for the character -instead a giant red X appears.  The view previews fine for the other character, and works when I test the game with the problem character.

Khris

Try reinstalling the .NET framework. That did it for Cinfa.

Pumaman

QuoteI believe the AGS download page could use a link to this site.

That's because AGS 3.0 won't work without that dotnet plugin, and the dotnet plugin will refuse to install unless you have the "microsoft installer installer" first, AND downloading said installer from the official site is not possible if you're running an older version of windows.

Which version of Windows are you using? The Windows Installer should work on all platforms that .NET supports.

QuoteAh, I've created an error!

Error: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
Version: AGS 3.0.0.23

Hmm, interesting. If you restart the editor does that view still refuse to display in the preview and do you get the crash again?

Baron

Strange.....
         I left the editor on and let my computer hibernate while I was at work, and when I returned I tried to save again and it saved fine (!).  So I did close the editor and started it back up again, and everything is fine and where it should be.  Er.....  thanks!

Baron

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk