AGS 3.0.1 Final 2 - Queen's English Edition

Started by Pumaman, Wed 30/01/2008 21:55:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

Well, after a London teen asked directory enquiries for a "cab, innit" and ended up with a cabinet delivered to her door, perhaps we could all learn something about proper speech. Maybe she should try making a game...

NO RANDOM SUGGESTIONS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE! There is a separate thread for suggestions -- please keep this thread for general feedback and bug reports. Suggestions that relate to features in the beta are also fine here.

Changes in 3.0.1 Final 2:

* Incorporated new version of KeyboardMovement module into default game template
* Added Editor Plugin API SourceControl and RoomController objects
* Made some changes to hopefully stop intermittent errors for some people when returning from a full-screen test game
* Fixed room editor so that arrow keys and space only work if the room editor pane has focus (to prevent it overriding the use of Space bar in properties pane, etc)
* Fixed crash which could occur if a character was in the middle of an animation loop when a Say command was run
* Fixed possible crash if view settings for a character were invalid

Changes in 3.0.1 Final:

* Added arrow keys and space bar to pan/zoom in room areas editor
* Added System.NumLock/CapsLock/ScrollLock properties
* Added Editor Plugin API property Views and IGame.CreateNewView method
* Added editor plugin API method IGUIController.DrawSprite
* Improved error message if you try to import a 48-bit or 64-bit colour image
* Fixed 640x400-res objects being zoomed too much when zooming in room editor
* Fixed max line length check in script compiler not working, leading to other confusing compile errors
* Fixed objects sometimes being half a pixel misaligned when zoomed in

Changes in 3.0.1 RC 2:

* Added zooming and mask transparency to the room areas editor
* Added draggable baseline to the Walk-behinds Editor to make it more user friendly
* Added AGSE_PRERENDER plugin event to allow characters/objects to be modified just before they are rendered
* Fixed New Game Templates not appearing if there was an error attempting to load a game beforehand
* Fixed compile error if you used '"' in the script

Changes in 3.0.1 RC 1:

* Added editor plugin API method GetSpriteImage
* Added alignment parameter to DrawingSurface.DrawStringWrapped
* Added Game.InSkippableCutscene/Game.SkippingCutscene properties, to formalise the undocumented game.in_cutscene/game.skipping_cutscene properties
* When adding new frame to view, editor is now more intelligent about the default sprite that it chooses for the new frame
* View Preview now scales down large sprites to fit inside the preview window
* Improved the way some editor dialogs look when run with Large Fonts (> 96 DPI)
* Editor now won't allow you to give things a reserved script name (eg. "inventory", "gui") to avoid the confusing compile error it generates otherwise
* Fixed plugin drawing functions such as DrawText not working properly in AGSE_* events
* Fixed ChangeRoom moving the character before fading out with some transitions and the D3D driver
* Fixed exported script modules giving error when importing into 2.72
* Fixed Create Voice Acting Script giving error if a dialog script had lines beginning with a space
* Fixed GUI import/export if one of the GUI controls had an extended character in its text
* Fixed function calltips not working if you put a space between the function name and the opening bracket
* Fixed intermittent crash starting engine with debugging enabled

Changes in 3.0.1 beta 4:

* Added Create Voice Acting Script option, to generate a file containing all voice speech lines for each character
* Added back Ctrl+G/Ctrl+H as shortcuts to get to the global script and script header
* Added PaletteLockedToRoom property on sprites to allow you to easily remember if the sprite was imported against a specific room (8-bit only)
* Increased max script modules to 50 (as a short term fix)
* Removed limit on number of phenomes per file with PAM voice speech
* Added warning when loading a game if saving it will upgrade it to the latest version
* Improved ordering of options on File menu
* Replaced crash with error message if you use GetLocationName in game_start
* Fixed speech colour being random if you used SierraWithBackground speech without a custom text window GUI
* Fixed GetViewportX/GetViewportY not working properly in room Before Fadein event
* Fixed erroneous error message importing an image into an 8-bit game if it was smaller than the screen size.
* Fixed some issues importing 8-bit sprites locked to a room background
* Fixed black areas of 8-bit backgrounds turning blue (you will need to re-import any affected backgrounds)
* Fixed animated GIFs not importing correctly if they used incremental frames.
* Fixed error attempting to directly restore a saved game from explorer if the screen transition was Crossfade or Dissolve
* Fixed GUIs getting an erroneous alpha channel if the BackgroundImage was set to -1.
* Fixed legacy global messages not getting included in Auto Number Speech Lines numbering

Changes in 3.0.1 beta 3a:
* Ctrl+X option now initially blanks out text box to allow you to quickly type in new room number
* When rebuilding all rooms after a script header change, the editor now stops compiling when one room encounters an error.
* Removed left/right loops compile warning, and instead a single frame in the left/right loops is automatically created
* The Please Wait window no longer shows up on the taskbar
* Harmonised speed of fade-in/fade-out between D3D and DX5 drivers
* Fixed FadeIn not showing characters/objects if you changed the game state since FadeOut
* Fixed FadeIn/FadeOut not working properly when graphics filter enabled on DX5 driver
* Fixed "downgrade 32-bit to 16-bit" checkbox in Setup not working
* Fixed voice lip sync falling behind if a very low game speed was used
* Fixed crash compiling if a macro was defined twice
* Fixed voice lip sync looking in game folder rather than Speech folder for PAM files; and fixed compile error if PAM files had the [Preferences] section

Changes in 3.0.1 beta 3:
* Added String.IsNullOrEmpty, DrawingSurface.GetPixel, DrawingSurface.DrawStringWrapped commands
* Added back Match Brace feature in script editor
* Added new room template dialog for creating new rooms.
* Added ability to scroll project tree while dragging views
* Changed the Ctrl+X debug option in-game to make it more user friendly
* Editor will now remember the file path that you import fonts from, and display it as a property on the font
* New engine command line parameter -noexceptionhandler to disable the AGS exception handler (for plugin developers)
* Rewrote the script preprocessor. It should work identically to before so you shouldn't notice any changes, but it is the first stage of rewriting the script compiler.
* Double-clicking a room object now opens the sprite selector
* Fixed Quick Import Multiple Sprites not remembering the import directory
* Fixed plugin API screen drawing events, and implemented support for them with D3D driver
* Fixed engine crash on startup with D3D driver on some graphics cards in 16-bit games
* Fixed crash importing a game from 2.72 if there was a room with an almost valid file name (eg. "room06.crm")
* Fixed room background import to ignore source image DPI
* Fixed multi-loop speech animations crashing if a blinking view was used
* Fixed spurious "Unable to display speech" error if a character had just been animating before displaying speech.
* Fixed intermittent crash when fading in with DX5 driver, introduced by beta 1
* Fixed import table overflow error when compiling if you had a very long global script

Changes in 3.0.1 beta 2:
* Object properties now show "BaselineOverridden" as a separate setting to clarify the baseline behaviour
* Added ability to move and delete view folders
* Added sprite manager option to sort sprites by number
* Added File.Exists and File.Delete commands
* ListBox.FillDirList now supports $SAVEGAMEDIR$
* Added right-click Flip option and shortcut key 'F' to flip frames in view editor
* Added Editor Plugin API function IGUIController.ShowHelpFile
* Assign To View window now remembers the last view number used
* Hopefully fixed intermittent crash if a view preview was active when you saved the game
* Editor now prompts you to save the current game before loading a different one
* Fixed AGSE_PREGUIDRAW plugin API event occurring at the wrong time
* Fixed crash importing characters with Run Next Loop flag set on a view; and fixed invalid character export files being generated for characters with Run Next Loop flag set.
* Fixed FadeIn not dealing with letterbox borders correctly if SetFadeColour had been used
* Fixed bug with route calculation that kept moving character to bottom right corner of screen, introduced by beta 1.
* Fixed IsKeyPressed not working properly with A-Z keys on non-qwerty keyboards
* Fixed bug in editor when replacing a room background with one of the same size but with the game now running at a different resolution
* Fixed crash loading game into editor if a translation file contained a duplicate line
* Fixed Object.Animate not working with RepeatStyle=2
* Fixed RunAGSGame using wrong current directory when under debugger

Changes in 3.0.1 beta 1:
* Added ability to drag and drop sprites to other sprite folders, like 2.72 could do
* Added ability to drag and drop views between view folders
* Added ability to delete views
* Added "Go To Definition" right-click option in script editor, and fixed cut/copy/paste context menu options not always being enabled correctly
* Added "New sprite using last sprite" and "Replace sprite using last sprite" options to sprite manager, to allow you to quickly grab multiple frames off a single source image
* Made some improvements to reduce music stuttering in some complex rooms
* Improved pathfinder dealing with narrow winding walkable areas
* When you double-click a script error message or use the drop-down function list, the script editor now does a better job of highlighting the relevant line.
* Added "Sort by number" command to room list
* Attempting to display messages with extended characters in SCI font will now render those characters as a ? rather than aborting the game
* Editor now prevents you from deleting sprite folder if sprites in it are still in use
* Editor plugin API: Added new OpenEditorForScript method
* Increased size of function list drop-down in script editor
* Added preferences option to set the default directory where new games are created
* Editor now remembers the position of the main two splitters when you quit
* Fixed built-in save/load/quit dialogs having transparent borders in 8-bit games
* Fixed mouse wiping away dialog options background in 8-bit games
* Fixed room editing pane being closed when you built the game after editing the room script
* Fixed compile error with custom icons that have all 13 Vista icon formats
* Fixed script editor not to do a matching bracket check when you close a bracket inside a comment or string
* Fixed editor crash if you had an misplaced square bracket near the end of a script header

WARNING! This is a beta version. Always back up your game before trying out a beta.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/AGS-3.0.1.exe

deltamatrix

That WAS quick! Gonna try it out now.
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Fantastic.  Nearly all my suggestions have been implemented as of now!  You are the machine!

Groogokk

Wow. Another update within days. I respect how goal-oriented you are, Chris.

El_Yind

Cool!

Really you are quick!

But there are a few important things in the suggestions list that would be very iimportant to do.

Thanks!

Ghost

Well that was about time, really! I've been waiting for this new version, what, FOUR days?!  ;D

Amazing speed, Mr. Jones. Only tried out the moving/deleting features yet, but seems to work all right. And a special thanks for adding the room sort and splitter memory. That really makes a lot of difference!

Shade

excellent work! i love the new ags. :)

there is just a little thing i came across. when i click on "delete last option" in the dialogs tab the last option ist deleted visualy but not in the script. what i mean is if i have created one option and then click on delete there still stands "@1 return" in the script which gives me of course an error if i compile the game because on one hand i deleted the option but on the other hand its still there. can you fix it so that the dialog option is deleted in the dialog script too?

VK Dan

One little issue. I still can't delete folders of views. That would be greatly appreciated. :)

TheMagician

I don't know if that's even considered a bug or just normal behaviour:
If you completely delete the button text of a button in the GUI editor then the button becomes invisible. You can still click on the invisible button in the editor and drag it around but I would expect the button to turn blank instead of vanishing.

And I hope this second point doesn't fall in the category "random suggestions". It was brought up by a few people during the 3.0 beta already:
I still don't understand why Ctrl-B for checking brackets is gone now. You said because this is the normal way these "Visual-" applications work now. But still I find it very userful. Anyways, it this feature won't return then may I ask that bracket highlighting also works on opening brackets? I usually check my code from top to bottom not vice versa.

Thank you for your continued effort for this editor.
Stefan

Ghost

Found a little something:

I have "Walk to hotspot in look mode" set to true. Now this is what happens:

If I specify a walk-to point that is outside a walkable area, this will cause the player to move to pretty unpredicted locations- apparently trying to match at least on axis and completely ignoring the other one. In my game this makes the player occasionally walk almost out of a room. A better approach would be to move the player at least very close to the hotspot, calculating both x and y axis.

This also happens when I click to a point in Walk mode that is not inside a walkable area, but only sometimes, and mostly near the edges of the room.

The walkable area setup for the room I'm talking about is not too complicated, so I thought I'd better report. I can also upload the file if necessary.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I was wondering if there's a specific reason why when you enter an event from the script editor it takes you to the top of the function rather than starting you inside the code block (where it would be more convenient)?  I know it's just a few extra lines to scroll down but it seems really odd to me, especially since you're not really going to be modifying the function names generated by the event script for the most part?

DazJ

Also, setting the fade colour to other colours (in my case, White), it also changes the bottom 'widescreen' border to that colour too (it leaves to top widescreen bar black) - it just looks very unprofessional.

Cinfa

I got a crash:
Opened a game(made with 3.0.0).
Compiled.
Tried to open another game (made with 3.0.0)
crash.

Anyway I wasn't unable to reproduce the problem, so maybe it's my fault.

Just one thing: the editor always ask to save game before exiting, but never asks for it when opening another game.

Pumaman

Quotethere is just a little thing i came across. when i click on "delete last option" in the dialogs tab the last option ist deleted visualy but not in the script. what i mean is if i have created one option and then click on delete there still stands "@1 return" in the script which gives me of course an error if i compile the game because on one hand i deleted the option but on the other hand its still there. can you fix it so that the dialog option is deleted in the dialog script too?

This is deliberate, because if it did this then we'd start getting "THE AGS EDITOR HAS DELETED MY SCRIPTS!!1111" posts.  I think it's always better not to delete things automatically.

QuoteOne little issue. I still can't delete folders of views. That would be greatly appreciated

Sounds reasonable to me.

QuoteIf you completely delete the button text of a button in the GUI editor then the button becomes invisible. You can still click on the invisible button in the editor and drag it around but I would expect the button to turn blank instead of vanishing.

Hmm yeah, this is because if there's no text then it changes to an image button; if there's no image set then you won't see anything at all. I think it's always been like this so I don't want to risk breaking anything by changing it now.

QuoteI still don't understand why Ctrl-B for checking brackets is gone now. You said because this is the normal way these "Visual-" applications work now. But still I find it very userful. Anyways, it this feature won't return then may I ask that bracket highlighting also works on opening brackets? I usually check my code from top to bottom not vice versa.

Yeah, I don't see why the Match Brace feature can't be brought back. I'll look into it.

QuoteIf I specify a walk-to point that is outside a walkable area, this will cause the player to move to pretty unpredicted locations- apparently trying to match at least on axis and completely ignoring the other one. In my game this makes the player occasionally walk almost out of a room. A better approach would be to move the player at least very close to the hotspot, calculating both x and y axis.

Does your walkable area have any long narrow bits, or is it just a big open area? If you could upload the room file, that'd be handy.

QuoteI was wondering if there's a specific reason why when you enter an event from the script editor it takes you to the top of the function rather than starting you inside the code block (where it would be more convenient)?  I know it's just a few extra lines to scroll down but it seems really odd to me, especially since you're not really going to be modifying the function names generated by the event script for the most part?

I agree with you that it would be better that way.

QuoteAlso, setting the fade colour to other colours (in my case, White), it also changes the bottom 'widescreen' border to that colour too (it leaves to top widescreen bar black) - it just looks very unprofessional.

Thanks for the report, I'll look into this one. Are you using the DirectDraw or Direct3D driver?

QuoteI got a crash:
Opened a game(made with 3.0.0).
Compiled.
Tried to open another game (made with 3.0.0)
crash.

Umm ... if it happens again, could you provide the error message please. There's not much I can do without that information. ;)

Ghost

The walkable area is pretty simple; an inverted T shape. It should provide enoug space for any A* calculations, and it worked in 2.72, which is why I reported. I have uploaded the executable as a rar archive, here.

Clicking the top of the stairs, and occasionally the pictures on the right wall, causes the trouble. I have left debugging on, so you can also see the WA.

Pumaman

Thanks for posting that, it's a bug that slipped into beta 1. I'll get it fixed for the next beta.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

When loading or starting a game, when importing sprites, the sprite-capture-screen's transparency-capturer-thingy defaults to "use colour zero", or whichever it's actually called. Which does not work in 16bit mode.

Could it default to "No transparency" or "top-left image" whenever a 16bit game is loaded, or whenever the game changes from 256colours to 16bit? It would make it that wee bit more friendly.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

monkey0506

Isn't there an option in Preferences to set this?

@Rui's post below: Ahh nostalgia indeed. I remember my horror to discover that AGS 2.63 had disappeared...I'd been using the beta versions and then I come back later to find that there had never apparently been an AGS 2.63 at all... :=

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Ah, so there is. I say, that preferences panel is really growing. I remember when it had but a couple of options... ah, nostalgia...
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Ghost

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 05/02/2008 21:27:07
Thanks for posting that, it's a bug that slipped into beta 1. I'll get it fixed for the next beta.

Glad to be of service.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk