AGS 3.0.1 Final 2 - Queen's English Edition

Started by Pumaman, Wed 30/01/2008 21:55:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

Well, after a London teen asked directory enquiries for a "cab, innit" and ended up with a cabinet delivered to her door, perhaps we could all learn something about proper speech. Maybe she should try making a game...

NO RANDOM SUGGESTIONS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE! There is a separate thread for suggestions -- please keep this thread for general feedback and bug reports. Suggestions that relate to features in the beta are also fine here.

Changes in 3.0.1 Final 2:

* Incorporated new version of KeyboardMovement module into default game template
* Added Editor Plugin API SourceControl and RoomController objects
* Made some changes to hopefully stop intermittent errors for some people when returning from a full-screen test game
* Fixed room editor so that arrow keys and space only work if the room editor pane has focus (to prevent it overriding the use of Space bar in properties pane, etc)
* Fixed crash which could occur if a character was in the middle of an animation loop when a Say command was run
* Fixed possible crash if view settings for a character were invalid

Changes in 3.0.1 Final:

* Added arrow keys and space bar to pan/zoom in room areas editor
* Added System.NumLock/CapsLock/ScrollLock properties
* Added Editor Plugin API property Views and IGame.CreateNewView method
* Added editor plugin API method IGUIController.DrawSprite
* Improved error message if you try to import a 48-bit or 64-bit colour image
* Fixed 640x400-res objects being zoomed too much when zooming in room editor
* Fixed max line length check in script compiler not working, leading to other confusing compile errors
* Fixed objects sometimes being half a pixel misaligned when zoomed in

Changes in 3.0.1 RC 2:

* Added zooming and mask transparency to the room areas editor
* Added draggable baseline to the Walk-behinds Editor to make it more user friendly
* Added AGSE_PRERENDER plugin event to allow characters/objects to be modified just before they are rendered
* Fixed New Game Templates not appearing if there was an error attempting to load a game beforehand
* Fixed compile error if you used '"' in the script

Changes in 3.0.1 RC 1:

* Added editor plugin API method GetSpriteImage
* Added alignment parameter to DrawingSurface.DrawStringWrapped
* Added Game.InSkippableCutscene/Game.SkippingCutscene properties, to formalise the undocumented game.in_cutscene/game.skipping_cutscene properties
* When adding new frame to view, editor is now more intelligent about the default sprite that it chooses for the new frame
* View Preview now scales down large sprites to fit inside the preview window
* Improved the way some editor dialogs look when run with Large Fonts (> 96 DPI)
* Editor now won't allow you to give things a reserved script name (eg. "inventory", "gui") to avoid the confusing compile error it generates otherwise
* Fixed plugin drawing functions such as DrawText not working properly in AGSE_* events
* Fixed ChangeRoom moving the character before fading out with some transitions and the D3D driver
* Fixed exported script modules giving error when importing into 2.72
* Fixed Create Voice Acting Script giving error if a dialog script had lines beginning with a space
* Fixed GUI import/export if one of the GUI controls had an extended character in its text
* Fixed function calltips not working if you put a space between the function name and the opening bracket
* Fixed intermittent crash starting engine with debugging enabled

Changes in 3.0.1 beta 4:

* Added Create Voice Acting Script option, to generate a file containing all voice speech lines for each character
* Added back Ctrl+G/Ctrl+H as shortcuts to get to the global script and script header
* Added PaletteLockedToRoom property on sprites to allow you to easily remember if the sprite was imported against a specific room (8-bit only)
* Increased max script modules to 50 (as a short term fix)
* Removed limit on number of phenomes per file with PAM voice speech
* Added warning when loading a game if saving it will upgrade it to the latest version
* Improved ordering of options on File menu
* Replaced crash with error message if you use GetLocationName in game_start
* Fixed speech colour being random if you used SierraWithBackground speech without a custom text window GUI
* Fixed GetViewportX/GetViewportY not working properly in room Before Fadein event
* Fixed erroneous error message importing an image into an 8-bit game if it was smaller than the screen size.
* Fixed some issues importing 8-bit sprites locked to a room background
* Fixed black areas of 8-bit backgrounds turning blue (you will need to re-import any affected backgrounds)
* Fixed animated GIFs not importing correctly if they used incremental frames.
* Fixed error attempting to directly restore a saved game from explorer if the screen transition was Crossfade or Dissolve
* Fixed GUIs getting an erroneous alpha channel if the BackgroundImage was set to -1.
* Fixed legacy global messages not getting included in Auto Number Speech Lines numbering

Changes in 3.0.1 beta 3a:
* Ctrl+X option now initially blanks out text box to allow you to quickly type in new room number
* When rebuilding all rooms after a script header change, the editor now stops compiling when one room encounters an error.
* Removed left/right loops compile warning, and instead a single frame in the left/right loops is automatically created
* The Please Wait window no longer shows up on the taskbar
* Harmonised speed of fade-in/fade-out between D3D and DX5 drivers
* Fixed FadeIn not showing characters/objects if you changed the game state since FadeOut
* Fixed FadeIn/FadeOut not working properly when graphics filter enabled on DX5 driver
* Fixed "downgrade 32-bit to 16-bit" checkbox in Setup not working
* Fixed voice lip sync falling behind if a very low game speed was used
* Fixed crash compiling if a macro was defined twice
* Fixed voice lip sync looking in game folder rather than Speech folder for PAM files; and fixed compile error if PAM files had the [Preferences] section

Changes in 3.0.1 beta 3:
* Added String.IsNullOrEmpty, DrawingSurface.GetPixel, DrawingSurface.DrawStringWrapped commands
* Added back Match Brace feature in script editor
* Added new room template dialog for creating new rooms.
* Added ability to scroll project tree while dragging views
* Changed the Ctrl+X debug option in-game to make it more user friendly
* Editor will now remember the file path that you import fonts from, and display it as a property on the font
* New engine command line parameter -noexceptionhandler to disable the AGS exception handler (for plugin developers)
* Rewrote the script preprocessor. It should work identically to before so you shouldn't notice any changes, but it is the first stage of rewriting the script compiler.
* Double-clicking a room object now opens the sprite selector
* Fixed Quick Import Multiple Sprites not remembering the import directory
* Fixed plugin API screen drawing events, and implemented support for them with D3D driver
* Fixed engine crash on startup with D3D driver on some graphics cards in 16-bit games
* Fixed crash importing a game from 2.72 if there was a room with an almost valid file name (eg. "room06.crm")
* Fixed room background import to ignore source image DPI
* Fixed multi-loop speech animations crashing if a blinking view was used
* Fixed spurious "Unable to display speech" error if a character had just been animating before displaying speech.
* Fixed intermittent crash when fading in with DX5 driver, introduced by beta 1
* Fixed import table overflow error when compiling if you had a very long global script

Changes in 3.0.1 beta 2:
* Object properties now show "BaselineOverridden" as a separate setting to clarify the baseline behaviour
* Added ability to move and delete view folders
* Added sprite manager option to sort sprites by number
* Added File.Exists and File.Delete commands
* ListBox.FillDirList now supports $SAVEGAMEDIR$
* Added right-click Flip option and shortcut key 'F' to flip frames in view editor
* Added Editor Plugin API function IGUIController.ShowHelpFile
* Assign To View window now remembers the last view number used
* Hopefully fixed intermittent crash if a view preview was active when you saved the game
* Editor now prompts you to save the current game before loading a different one
* Fixed AGSE_PREGUIDRAW plugin API event occurring at the wrong time
* Fixed crash importing characters with Run Next Loop flag set on a view; and fixed invalid character export files being generated for characters with Run Next Loop flag set.
* Fixed FadeIn not dealing with letterbox borders correctly if SetFadeColour had been used
* Fixed bug with route calculation that kept moving character to bottom right corner of screen, introduced by beta 1.
* Fixed IsKeyPressed not working properly with A-Z keys on non-qwerty keyboards
* Fixed bug in editor when replacing a room background with one of the same size but with the game now running at a different resolution
* Fixed crash loading game into editor if a translation file contained a duplicate line
* Fixed Object.Animate not working with RepeatStyle=2
* Fixed RunAGSGame using wrong current directory when under debugger

Changes in 3.0.1 beta 1:
* Added ability to drag and drop sprites to other sprite folders, like 2.72 could do
* Added ability to drag and drop views between view folders
* Added ability to delete views
* Added "Go To Definition" right-click option in script editor, and fixed cut/copy/paste context menu options not always being enabled correctly
* Added "New sprite using last sprite" and "Replace sprite using last sprite" options to sprite manager, to allow you to quickly grab multiple frames off a single source image
* Made some improvements to reduce music stuttering in some complex rooms
* Improved pathfinder dealing with narrow winding walkable areas
* When you double-click a script error message or use the drop-down function list, the script editor now does a better job of highlighting the relevant line.
* Added "Sort by number" command to room list
* Attempting to display messages with extended characters in SCI font will now render those characters as a ? rather than aborting the game
* Editor now prevents you from deleting sprite folder if sprites in it are still in use
* Editor plugin API: Added new OpenEditorForScript method
* Increased size of function list drop-down in script editor
* Added preferences option to set the default directory where new games are created
* Editor now remembers the position of the main two splitters when you quit
* Fixed built-in save/load/quit dialogs having transparent borders in 8-bit games
* Fixed mouse wiping away dialog options background in 8-bit games
* Fixed room editing pane being closed when you built the game after editing the room script
* Fixed compile error with custom icons that have all 13 Vista icon formats
* Fixed script editor not to do a matching bracket check when you close a bracket inside a comment or string
* Fixed editor crash if you had an misplaced square bracket near the end of a script header

WARNING! This is a beta version. Always back up your game before trying out a beta.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/AGS-3.0.1.exe

deltamatrix

That WAS quick! Gonna try it out now.
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Fantastic.  Nearly all my suggestions have been implemented as of now!  You are the machine!

Groogokk

Wow. Another update within days. I respect how goal-oriented you are, Chris.

El_Yind

Cool!

Really you are quick!

But there are a few important things in the suggestions list that would be very iimportant to do.

Thanks!

Ghost

Well that was about time, really! I've been waiting for this new version, what, FOUR days?!  ;D

Amazing speed, Mr. Jones. Only tried out the moving/deleting features yet, but seems to work all right. And a special thanks for adding the room sort and splitter memory. That really makes a lot of difference!

Shade

excellent work! i love the new ags. :)

there is just a little thing i came across. when i click on "delete last option" in the dialogs tab the last option ist deleted visualy but not in the script. what i mean is if i have created one option and then click on delete there still stands "@1 return" in the script which gives me of course an error if i compile the game because on one hand i deleted the option but on the other hand its still there. can you fix it so that the dialog option is deleted in the dialog script too?

VK Dan

One little issue. I still can't delete folders of views. That would be greatly appreciated. :)

TheMagician

I don't know if that's even considered a bug or just normal behaviour:
If you completely delete the button text of a button in the GUI editor then the button becomes invisible. You can still click on the invisible button in the editor and drag it around but I would expect the button to turn blank instead of vanishing.

And I hope this second point doesn't fall in the category "random suggestions". It was brought up by a few people during the 3.0 beta already:
I still don't understand why Ctrl-B for checking brackets is gone now. You said because this is the normal way these "Visual-" applications work now. But still I find it very userful. Anyways, it this feature won't return then may I ask that bracket highlighting also works on opening brackets? I usually check my code from top to bottom not vice versa.

Thank you for your continued effort for this editor.
Stefan

Ghost

Found a little something:

I have "Walk to hotspot in look mode" set to true. Now this is what happens:

If I specify a walk-to point that is outside a walkable area, this will cause the player to move to pretty unpredicted locations- apparently trying to match at least on axis and completely ignoring the other one. In my game this makes the player occasionally walk almost out of a room. A better approach would be to move the player at least very close to the hotspot, calculating both x and y axis.

This also happens when I click to a point in Walk mode that is not inside a walkable area, but only sometimes, and mostly near the edges of the room.

The walkable area setup for the room I'm talking about is not too complicated, so I thought I'd better report. I can also upload the file if necessary.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I was wondering if there's a specific reason why when you enter an event from the script editor it takes you to the top of the function rather than starting you inside the code block (where it would be more convenient)?  I know it's just a few extra lines to scroll down but it seems really odd to me, especially since you're not really going to be modifying the function names generated by the event script for the most part?

DazJ

Also, setting the fade colour to other colours (in my case, White), it also changes the bottom 'widescreen' border to that colour too (it leaves to top widescreen bar black) - it just looks very unprofessional.

Cinfa

I got a crash:
Opened a game(made with 3.0.0).
Compiled.
Tried to open another game (made with 3.0.0)
crash.

Anyway I wasn't unable to reproduce the problem, so maybe it's my fault.

Just one thing: the editor always ask to save game before exiting, but never asks for it when opening another game.

Pumaman

Quotethere is just a little thing i came across. when i click on "delete last option" in the dialogs tab the last option ist deleted visualy but not in the script. what i mean is if i have created one option and then click on delete there still stands "@1 return" in the script which gives me of course an error if i compile the game because on one hand i deleted the option but on the other hand its still there. can you fix it so that the dialog option is deleted in the dialog script too?

This is deliberate, because if it did this then we'd start getting "THE AGS EDITOR HAS DELETED MY SCRIPTS!!1111" posts.  I think it's always better not to delete things automatically.

QuoteOne little issue. I still can't delete folders of views. That would be greatly appreciated

Sounds reasonable to me.

QuoteIf you completely delete the button text of a button in the GUI editor then the button becomes invisible. You can still click on the invisible button in the editor and drag it around but I would expect the button to turn blank instead of vanishing.

Hmm yeah, this is because if there's no text then it changes to an image button; if there's no image set then you won't see anything at all. I think it's always been like this so I don't want to risk breaking anything by changing it now.

QuoteI still don't understand why Ctrl-B for checking brackets is gone now. You said because this is the normal way these "Visual-" applications work now. But still I find it very userful. Anyways, it this feature won't return then may I ask that bracket highlighting also works on opening brackets? I usually check my code from top to bottom not vice versa.

Yeah, I don't see why the Match Brace feature can't be brought back. I'll look into it.

QuoteIf I specify a walk-to point that is outside a walkable area, this will cause the player to move to pretty unpredicted locations- apparently trying to match at least on axis and completely ignoring the other one. In my game this makes the player occasionally walk almost out of a room. A better approach would be to move the player at least very close to the hotspot, calculating both x and y axis.

Does your walkable area have any long narrow bits, or is it just a big open area? If you could upload the room file, that'd be handy.

QuoteI was wondering if there's a specific reason why when you enter an event from the script editor it takes you to the top of the function rather than starting you inside the code block (where it would be more convenient)?  I know it's just a few extra lines to scroll down but it seems really odd to me, especially since you're not really going to be modifying the function names generated by the event script for the most part?

I agree with you that it would be better that way.

QuoteAlso, setting the fade colour to other colours (in my case, White), it also changes the bottom 'widescreen' border to that colour too (it leaves to top widescreen bar black) - it just looks very unprofessional.

Thanks for the report, I'll look into this one. Are you using the DirectDraw or Direct3D driver?

QuoteI got a crash:
Opened a game(made with 3.0.0).
Compiled.
Tried to open another game (made with 3.0.0)
crash.

Umm ... if it happens again, could you provide the error message please. There's not much I can do without that information. ;)

Ghost

The walkable area is pretty simple; an inverted T shape. It should provide enoug space for any A* calculations, and it worked in 2.72, which is why I reported. I have uploaded the executable as a rar archive, here.

Clicking the top of the stairs, and occasionally the pictures on the right wall, causes the trouble. I have left debugging on, so you can also see the WA.

Pumaman

Thanks for posting that, it's a bug that slipped into beta 1. I'll get it fixed for the next beta.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

When loading or starting a game, when importing sprites, the sprite-capture-screen's transparency-capturer-thingy defaults to "use colour zero", or whichever it's actually called. Which does not work in 16bit mode.

Could it default to "No transparency" or "top-left image" whenever a 16bit game is loaded, or whenever the game changes from 256colours to 16bit? It would make it that wee bit more friendly.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

monkey0506

Isn't there an option in Preferences to set this?

@Rui's post below: Ahh nostalgia indeed. I remember my horror to discover that AGS 2.63 had disappeared...I'd been using the beta versions and then I come back later to find that there had never apparently been an AGS 2.63 at all... :=

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Ah, so there is. I say, that preferences panel is really growing. I remember when it had but a couple of options... ah, nostalgia...

Kneel. Now.

Ghost

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 05/02/2008 21:27:07
Thanks for posting that, it's a bug that slipped into beta 1. I'll get it fixed for the next beta.

Glad to be of service.

Dualnames

Ghost i think that 666 number is doing it all. Chris is religious. ;D Anyway ,i had the same weird shit instead however having the "I click the engine does whatever she wants" i get the teleportation. I click on a walkable area and the game changed room. Despite there was no line like change room whatever.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Cinfa

An internal error has occurred. Please note down the folliwing information...
Error:Crossfade: buffer is null attempting transition.

this is what happens when loading a game with double click on Vista.

Cinfa

Quote from: Ghost on Thu 07/02/2008 04:37:08
Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 05/02/2008 21:27:07

Glad to be of service.
Got this error too.
Walkable area is just a rectangle in the lower part of the screen, I click on the upper part and character moves to the bottom right.
I'll wait for the next beta before releasing Roccio's Quest recompile.

subspark

BUG: If dragging a sprite in the sprite window and then right click to cancel, instead of canceling the action (suggestion), AGS creates a copy of the sprite with the same sprite number.
BUG: Setting an object's baseline to zero does not have any effect on the draw ID. If set to 1 however, the object is correctly drawn behind the character.

Cheers,
Paul.

Cinfa

Quote from: subspark on Wed 13/02/2008 13:02:38
BUG: If dragging a sprite in the sprite window and then right click to cancel, instead of canceling the action (suggestion), AGS creates a copy of the sprite with the same sprite number.
Isn't ESC the default windows key to cancel a drag?

subspark

Errr. No offense but, when was escape ever used to cancel a drag in windows? A little tedious don't you think?
I believe Right click is a much more fitting and generally convenient option.

Cinfa

I agree, it's not comfy, but I just tried it dragging your signature image on my desktop, and rightclick copied the image, esc canceled the dragging.
I think sticking to standards could be more accessible, but it's just my opinion.

subspark

Try a folder on the desktop. It is the native way windows has always worked and in my opinion is most accepted as 'standard'.
Why not settle this by implementing right click cancel in addition to the existing escape. To put it this way, I don't think having to use both hands to cancel a simple action is the only way.

Cheers,
Paul.

Cinfa

duh.. it keeps opening the right click menu.. I tried dragging a file in a folder, dragging a folder in a folder and a folder on a file. ???
Oh, I have XP, maybe on vista is different. I can't remember how it was on 98..

Pumaman

QuoteError:Crossfade: buffer is null attempting transition.

this is what happens when loading a game with double click on Vista.

Which game? Are you using crossfade as your default transition? I'll look into it.

QuoteBUG: If dragging a sprite in the sprite window and then right click to cancel, instead of canceling the action (suggestion), AGS creates a copy of the sprite with the same sprite number.

Hmm, I couldn't replicate this. If I start to drag a sprite, then click the right mouse button, nothing happens (it doesn't cancel the drag). Which version of Windows are you using?

QuoteBUG: Setting an object's baseline to zero does not have any effect on the draw ID. If set to 1 however, the object is correctly drawn behind the character.

This is by design, and has always been the case. If you set the baseline to 0 then it uses the object's Y co-ordinate to determine the baseline, which is the default setting.

subspark

Quoteduh.. it keeps opening the right click menu..
Yeah, on the desktop, it's kind of a brute force method but in most of the software I use its quite a handy feature.

QuoteHmm, I couldn't replicate this.
You have to drag the sprite inside of it's own folder on the right-hand 'sprite selector' window and then right click for the bug to occur.

QuoteWhich version of Windows are you using?
Just XP. I'm using XP Proffesional here.  :)

Cheers guys,
Paul.

SSH

Trying to import a character, got:

System.InvalidOperationException: Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowInvalidOperationException(ExceptionResource resource)
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.Enumerator.MoveNext()
   at AGS.Editor.ImportExport.ReadOldStyleView(BinaryReader reader, Game game, SpriteFolder folder, Color[] palette)
   at AGS.Editor.ImportExport.ReadAndAddView(String viewName, BinaryReader reader, Game game, SpriteFolder folder, Color[] palette)
   at AGS.Editor.ImportExport.ImportCharacter(String fileName, Game game)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.CharactersComponent.ImportCharacter(String fileName)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.CharactersComponent.CommandClick(String controlID)
   at AGS.Editor.GUIController._mainForm_OnMenuClick(String menuItemID)
   at AGS.Editor.ProjectTree.ContextMenuEventHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Loading the same CHA file into 272 works fine. One of the loops in the normal view had the "run next loop after loop finishes" boxes checked, which I unchecked and reexported from 272: then it loaded fine in 3.01.

bicilotti

I'm not really sure if that's the right thread to post in but:

I try to run a game made with AGS - 3.0.0.23 on a friend's PC (Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2, DX 9.0) and he got:

QUARTZ.DLL is missing

games made with 2.72 show no problems.

edit: once he downloaded quatrz.dll everything was ok, so I guess it's not a problem related with 3.0

naltimari

There's a bug somewhere in the parser, because the next line:

Code: ags
player.AddInventory(inventory[Collectables.GetValueByID(o.ID)]);

won't compile, giving me:

Quoteparse error after '['

The same line does compile if I change Collectables.GetValueByID() for a scalar.

EDIT: Collectables.GetValueByID is a static function which returns a 'short'.

SSH

I just found that if you try to draw walkable areas on a 640x400 screen in 3.0.1, then it completely messes up! It looks like the co-ordinates are being divided by 2...

naltimari

One more bug (or lack of an old feature), this time in Object.Animate(). According to the manual,

QuoteThe RepeatStyle parameter sets whether the animation will continuously repeat the cycling through the frames. [...] If RepeatStyle is 2 then it will do the animation once, but then return the graphic to the first frame and stop.

However, when RepeatStyle is '2', the loop does not get 'rewinded' as promised, it only plays once and stops at the last frame, as if RepeatStyle was eOnce.

Pumaman

QuoteYou have to drag the sprite inside of it's own folder on the right-hand 'sprite selector' window and then right click for the bug to occur.

I still can't replicate this. I tried this:
1. Left-click a sprite and drag it around within the right hand pane of the sprite manager.
2. Whilst dragging, click the right mouse button.
3. Nothing happens
4. Release left mouse button
5. Moves sprite as expected

Does anyone else have this problem?

QuoteTrying to import a character, got:

System.InvalidOperationException: Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.

Thanks for this -- it does indeed seem to be a problem with character import/export where the Run Next Loop flag is checked. I'll get it fixed.

QuoteI try to run a game made with AGS - 3.0.0.23 on a friend's PC (Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2, DX 9.0) and he got:

QUARTZ.DLL is missing

Hmm, do you know if the game was running with Direct 3D or DirectDraw? I think QUARTZ.DLL is a dependency of D3D, but in theory it shouldn't need it when using DirectDraw.

But also, it's a default Windows component that's part of Media Player, so I'm not quite sure why it would be missing.

QuoteThere's a bug somewhere in the parser, because the next line:

player.AddInventory(inventory[Collectables.GetValueByID(o.ID)]);

won't compile

This is a known limitation of the script compiler -- you can't use a static function as an array index. The workaround is as follows, but I appreciate that it's not ideal:

int invItem = Collectables.GetValueByID(o.ID);
player.AddInventory(inventory[invItem]);

I'm planning to revisit the script compiler and make some improvements, but probably not for 3.0.1.

QuoteI just found that if you try to draw walkable areas on a 640x400 screen in 3.0.1, then it completely messes up! It looks like the co-ordinates are being divided by 2...

I can't replicate this, can you clarify the situation? Is the game set to 320x200 or 640x400? What about the room? Is it only walkable areas, or are walk-behinds not working either?

QuoteHowever, when RepeatStyle is '2', the loop does not get 'rewinded' as promised, it only plays once and stops at the last frame, as if RepeatStyle was eOnce.

Thanks for this, I'll get it fixed.

SSH

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 14/02/2008 21:03:56
I can't replicate this, can you clarify the situation? Is the game set to 320x200 or 640x400? What about the room? Is it only walkable areas, or are walk-behinds not working either?

Game is 640x400, bg is 640x400. Walkbehinds are fine, but walkable areas look OK while you are drawing them, but when you let go of the mouse (with line or box tool) it suddenly shrinks to half-size. The walkable area works OK in the game when played, but looks all wrong in the editor.

The walkable should cover the stage here: http://ssh.me.uk/img/walkabless.png

I think the problem is related to how I initially did the room. I loaded up the default game template, went to edit room 1, imported 640x400 BG. Then realised the game setting were still 320x200. I changed them to 640x400 and re-imported the BG in the room. However, since then, the room's walkable areas have been messed up. Creating a new room and reimporting the BG works fine. So something is not getting reset when you change a game's resolution.

Snarky

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 14/02/2008 21:03:56
QuoteYou have to drag the sprite inside of it's own folder on the right-hand 'sprite selector' window and then right click for the bug to occur.

I still can't replicate this. I tried this:
1. Left-click a sprite and drag it around within the right hand pane of the sprite manager.
2. Whilst dragging, click the right mouse button.
3. Nothing happens
4. Release left mouse button
5. Moves sprite as expected

Does anyone else have this problem?

I think subspark's problem is that he doesn't want 5 to happen. In Windows, if you drag something holding either the left or right button down, and click the other button, it "cancels" the drag (though I think this is really just a side effect of whatever action the click does), so when you release the other button, nothing happens.

subspark

QuoteI think subspark's problem is that he doesn't want 5 to happen.
No no thats not what I'm about at all. I did however figure out what it was. :P
QuoteI still can't replicate this. I tried this:
It was most likely a sticky key that was stuck down while i clicked the right button.  :D

Cheers,
Paul.

SSH

Quote from: Ghost on Fri 01/02/2008 17:20:56
If I specify a walk-to point that is outside a walkable area, this will cause the player to move to pretty unpredicted locations- apparently trying to match at least on axis and completely ignoring the other one. In my game this makes the player occasionally walk almost out of a room. A better approach would be to move the player at least very close to the hotspot, calculating both x and y axis.

This also happens when I click to a point in Walk mode that is not inside a walkable area, but only sometimes, and mostly near the edges of the room.

I'm getting strange behaviour with walking, too. I've got a function that makes different characters all walk to the same point (at different tiems, so they're not bumping in to each other at all) and yet some end up in the right place, and others end up somewhere 80 or so pixels away!

Also: minor wierdness... the setting for min scaling is below max scaling in the side panel: it would make more sense the other way around...

subspark

QuoteThis is by design, and has always been the case. If you set the baseline to 0 then it uses the object's Y co-ordinate to determine the baseline, which is the default setting.
Perhaps the name should change to "Local Y Coord"? I found it confusing, I'm sure there might be others sometime.

Cheers mate. Thanks for the explanation.
Paul.

Cinfa

Quote from: subspark on Fri 15/02/2008 13:14:56
QuoteThis is by design, and has always been the case. If you set the baseline to 0 then it uses the object's Y co-ordinate to determine the baseline, which is the default setting.
Perhaps the name should change to "Local Y Coord"? I found it confusing, I'm sure there might be others sometime.

Cheers mate. Thanks for the explanation.
Paul.
yes, you could add a constant, like eOnce, eForward....

Pumaman

QuoteI think the problem is related to how I initially did the room. I loaded up the default game template, went to edit room 1, imported 640x400 BG. Then realised the game setting were still 320x200. I changed them to 640x400 and re-imported the BG in the room. However, since then, the room's walkable areas have been messed up.

Thanks -- you're right, I'll get it fixed. The editor is perceiving the new background to be the same size as the old one, so it's not adjusting the masks to reflect the resolution of the room, which is now different.

In the meantime the workaround is as you've noticed either to use a new room, or import a background of a different size and then import the original one again, which will reset the room's masks.

QuoteIt was most likely a sticky key that was stuck down while i clicked the right button. 

Glad to hear it's solved!

QuoteI'm getting strange behaviour with walking, too. I've got a function that makes different characters all walk to the same point (at different tiems, so they're not bumping in to each other at all) and yet some end up in the right place, and others end up somewhere 80 or so pixels away!

Yep, as noted already there's a (quite serious!) pathfinding bug in beta 1. I certainly wouldn't recommend distributing any games with this beta ;)

QuoteAlso: minor wierdness... the setting for min scaling is below max scaling in the side panel: it would make more sense the other way around...

Well, it's alphabetical order. Consistent with all the other property windows, at least!!

QuotePerhaps the name should change to "Local Y Coord"? I found it confusing, I'm sure there might be others sometime.

Fair point, I'll adjust the way this works in the properties window to clarify matters.

lemmy101

Hi CJ! Nice work on 3.0! We just upgraded after a hiatus and found that our plug-in is drawing stuff on the AGSE_PREGUIDRAW event but it is appearing behind the characters. I downloaded the latest plugin API headers from the main site.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

ta,

Lemmy

Pumaman

QuoteHi CJ! Nice work on 3.0! We just upgraded after a hiatus and found that our plug-in is drawing stuff on the AGSE_PREGUIDRAW event but it is appearing behind the characters. I downloaded the latest plugin API headers from the main site.

Thanks for reporting this, I think it must have messed up as part of the graphics driver refactoring in AGS 3. This should now be fixed in beta 2 -- though bear in mind if you use the Direct3D driver this event will never occur.

Anyway, beta 2 is now up -- mostly bug fixes this time, with some minor improvements.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Wow CJ, AGS 3.0 is becoming almost like sex -- I can't get enough!  I will have a screenshot up shortly to show you the fruits of your labor with regards to better organization!

Let's look at AGS 2.72 and my old View list, first:

It's not the full list, but you get an idea.

Now let's see what organization has done for the view list of terror as of beta 1/2:

and a shot of it a bit expanded:

Night and day, CJ.  You've taken organization and usability to the next level!

SSH

I forgot to say thanks for the new valentines pic, btw, Ceej!

Vince Twelve

I brought in a game that started in 2.7, got updated to 3.0 RC3, 3.0 RC4, and now into 3.0.1b2, (Been working on it for a while!) and as soon as I try running it (Through F5 or F7 and then starting it manually) it shows the first screen, plays a few notes of music and then

---------------------------
Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x004FAABE ; program pointer is +6, ACI version 3.01.1005, gtags (360,72)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and notify CJ on the Tech forum.

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.

An error file CrashInfo.dmp has been created. You may be asked to upload this file when reporting this problem on the AGS Forums. (code 0)
OK   

Let me know if you want the .dmp file.

Pumaman

Progz/SSH: :)

Vince: yes, it would be useful if you could upload that dump file please.

SSH

Hajo/dasjoe sent me this error from the AGS Awards game which was made with beta1 (or apparently not, given the version number):

Illegal exception
An exception 0xE06D7363 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x7C812A7B ; program pointer is -179, ACI version 3.00.1000, gtags (0,0)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and notify CJ on the Tech forum.

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.

An error file CrashInfo.dmp has been created. You may be asked to upload this file when reporting this problem on the AGS Forums. (code 0)
OK   

You'll have to ask him for the .dmp file!

lemmy101

Hi CJ! :) A couple of editor issues I thought I'd mention:

1) I've just tried importing a new version of a 320x140 background over the top of an old one and it's appeared as a 102 x 45 (approx) image in the top left of the room area. This is both in game and in the editor. I tried importing others and some are coming out as bigger than 320x200. I'm not sure what's causing this but for some reason I can't replace any room gfx in the game without the scale being crazy.

2) The pathfinding problems I've been getting are purely if the game is upscaled to 640x400 on the two radio buttons in winsetup. Selecting 2x or 3x nearest neighbour works fine though, as long as the top of the two scale radio buttons is selected pathfinding is fine, the bottom selected is always messed up.

3) Since I have loads of views, I'm finding it impossible to reorganise my views into subfolders as when dragging a view with left mouse button pressed, I can't scroll the view tree to where the folder is in relation to any view.

That's all I've noticed so far. :)

Thanks again! The work you've done on 3.0 is faberoonie!

lemmy

Cinfa

Roccio's Quest pathfinding errors are gone now, but the game is (as you have seen) in 320*240.

Pumaman

QuoteHajo/dasjoe sent me this error from the AGS Awards game which was made with beta1 (or apparently not, given the version number):

This has turned out to be an incompability of pixel formats in Direct3D on his graphics card, I'm investigating a workaround.

Quote1) I've just tried importing a new version of a 320x140 background over the top of an old one and it's appeared as a 102 x 45 (approx) image in the top left of the room area. This is both in game and in the editor. I tried importing others and some are coming out as bigger than 320x200. I'm not sure what's causing this but for some reason I can't replace any room gfx in the game without the scale being crazy.

What resolution is the game set to in the General Settings pane? If it's set to 640x480, you would see a result like this.

Quote2) The pathfinding problems I've been getting are purely if the game is upscaled to 640x400 on the two radio buttons in winsetup. Selecting 2x or 3x nearest neighbour works fine though, as long as the top of the two scale radio buttons is selected pathfinding is fine, the bottom selected is always messed up.

Are you still getting pathfinding problems with beta 2? If so can you elaborate on what the problem is?

Quote3) Since I have loads of views, I'm finding it impossible to reorganise my views into subfolders as when dragging a view with left mouse button pressed, I can't scroll the view tree to where the folder is in relation to any view.

Hmm yeah, I'm not sure why you can't scroll the tree while dragging. I'll take a look at it.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

3) Since I have loads of views, I'm finding it impossible to reorganise my views into subfolders as when dragging a view with left mouse button pressed, I can't scroll the view tree to where the folder is in relation to any view.

I've added this to the suggestions, Fish, for the same reason.  Right now you can get around it by expanding the properties window (unless you have considerably more views than I do).

lemmy101

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 19/02/2008 21:48:54
What resolution is the game set to in the General Settings pane? If it's set to 640x480, you would see a result like this.

It's set to 320x200. I tried setting it TO 640x480 then back again, but it's still doing it. Also importing another bmp of the same size behaved differently.

EDIT: Aha! I've figured it out actually. It's taking dpi into consideration in .bmp images where the last version of AGS didn't. One of my images is 71 dpi and is coming out huge, the other is 299 dpi and is coming out tiny. Not sure what is the correct functionality, but I assume either we need the correct dpi to set in the bitmaps, or the loader should only count pixel dimensions?

Are you still getting pathfinding problems with beta 2? If so can you elaborate on what the problem is?

Well basically when clicking on the right of the walkable area she would head up and left and jiggle about a bit, unable to get to any point correctly on the screen... but only when the graphics were upscaled. I'll need to check this was beta 2 but I think it was...

Hmm yeah, I'm not sure why you can't scroll the tree while dragging. I'll take a look at it.

Thanks again! :)

lemmy

Pumaman

QuoteEDIT: Aha! I've figured it out actually. It's taking dpi into consideration in .bmp images where the last version of AGS didn't. One of my images is 71 dpi and is coming out huge, the other is 299 dpi and is coming out tiny. Not sure what is the correct functionality, but I assume either we need the correct dpi to set in the bitmaps, or the loader should only count pixel dimensions?

Ah, interesting. Thanks for working out the source of the problem, I'll look into a fix for this.

Vince Twelve

Apologies for the delay.  Forgot about this.  Here's the .dmp file generated when I try to run this game (which works perfect under 3.0)  http://www.webfilehost.com/?mode=viewupload&id=1295465

Another apology for the crappy filehost.  My ftp is being blocked from work.  Bleh.

lemmy101

Hi, I'm having a problem when importing sprites into a folder in the sprite manager. We have a list of files in numerical order, e.g:

TalkR_P01_A01.gif
TalkR_P01_A02.gif
TalkR_P01_I01.gif
TalkR_P01_I02.gif
TalkR_P01_I03.gif

In AGS 3.0, when I do Import multiple sprites and select these, when they come in they're often in some random order. In the above case it came in in this order:

TalkR_P01_I03.gif
TalkR_P01_A01.gif
TalkR_P01_A02.gif
TalkR_P01_I01.gif
TalkR_P01_I02.gif

Basically meaning I need to import all frames 1 by 1 to get them numbered in the correct order.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

lemmy

SupSuper

Actually that's because of how Windows multiple-selects files, the file you select last is placed first, so they'll come out the reverse order you selected them in.

You selected TalkR_P01_A01 and shift-clicked on TalkR_P01_I03, putting it before the rest. Either select them one by one or just manually change the order in the Filename box.
Programmer looking for work

Cinfa

Quote from: SupSuper on Sun 24/02/2008 00:22:22
Actually that's because of how Windows multiple-selects files, the file you select last is placed first, so they'll come out the reverse order you selected them in.

You selected TalkR_P01_A01 and shift-clicked on TalkR_P01_I03, putting it before the rest. Either select them one by one or just manually change the order in the Filename box.
yes, it's windows fault, GlueIt has the same problem, but it's not enough selecting files in the right order. Files should be ordered by the editor itself.

BTW: the quick import function doesn't remember the previously used folder: I don't know if this is a wanted feature, personally I think searching through folders each times is pretty annoying.

Pumaman

QuoteApologies for the delay.  Forgot about this.  Here's the .dmp file generated when I try to run this game (which works perfect under 3.0)  http://www.webfilehost.com/?mode=viewupload&id=1295465

Thanks for posting that, I've traced the problem and will fix it in the next beta.

QuoteIn AGS 3.0, when I do Import multiple sprites and select these, when they come in they're often in some random order. In the above case it came in in this order:

As SupSuper says, this is an issue with the Windows File Open dialog, whereby whichever file is 'selected' (even if you have multiple files selected, only one will have the focus) goes first in the list.
To get the behaviour you want, try selecting them from bottom to top rather than top to bottom.

QuoteBTW: the quick import function doesn't remember the previously used folder

Thanks, I'll get this fixed.

Pumaman

Ok, beta 3 is now up which fixes some things and adds some other things.

monkey0506

CJ, first thanks for the new beta. It looks nice.

But I have one question about File.Exists. Is there significant benefit to using it versus just checking if File.Open returns null?

Presumably the Exists function could check whether the file exists even in cases where AGS couldn't open it with File.Open, but is this significantly faster?

@Gilbot's post: I assumed this also, but I was simply wondering.

Further, would it be possible to add an optional Alignment parameter to DrawingSurface.DrawStringWrapped? I don't imagine it should be too hard once the line to be drawn has been split from the main body of text to do something like int lx = x + ((width - GetTextWidth(line)) / 2) for off-setting the x-position for centering the text or int lx = x + (width - GetTextWidth(line)) for right-aligned text.

Gilbert

If there is a File.Exists I'll say that will be very useful, as there're really cases where you're not going to open a file and just want to check the existence of a file, if you use only File.Open you need to Close it if it exists. Furthermore, if the file is to be opened for writing, checking its existence first can save you from overwriting its content, in case you want to do some other stuff with its existence.

I'm not sure, but I think it probably just checks if the filename appears in the directory for its existence? If that is the case it should be faster than File.Open.

Cino

Yay! Thanks for the GetPixel function, I did not expect it this soon :)
I'll try to test it later today.

Pumaman

QuoteBut I have one question about File.Exists. Is there significant benefit to using it versus just checking if File.Open returns null?

No, as with String.IsNullOrEmpty you can do it other ways but it simply allows you to write cleaner and simpler script code. I've seen the "how do I check if a file exists" question come up on the forums enough times to decide that it was worth having its own command to make it easier for newbies.

QuoteFurther, would it be possible to add an optional Alignment parameter to DrawingSurface.DrawStringWrapped?

Good idea, I'll try to slip that into the next beta.

monkey0506

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 25/02/2008 18:58:09
QuoteBut I have one question about File.Exists. Is there significant benefit to using it versus just checking if File.Open returns null?

No, as with String.IsNullOrEmpty you can do it other ways but it simply allows you to write cleaner and simpler script code. I've seen the "how do I check if a file exists" question come up on the forums enough times to decide that it was worth having its own command to make it easier for newbies.

Thanks for clarifying this. So presumably the following code snippets are equivalent (as far as end-results as well as run-time)?

// old-skewl
bool FileExists(String filename) {
  File *f = File.Open(filename, eFileRead);
  if (f != null) {
    f.Close();
    return true;
  }
  return false;
}

if (FileExists("temp.dat")) { /* blah */ }

// new style
if (File.Exists("temp.dat")) { /* blah */ }

Clearly having a function does make it a bit easier to make sure the file is properly closed if it does exist, so the new internal function is definitely appreciated, but is there any chance of optimization of this function? Thanks either way.

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 25/02/2008 18:58:09
QuoteFurther, would it be possible to add an optional Alignment parameter to DrawingSurface.DrawStringWrapped?

Good idea, I'll try to slip that into the next beta.

Great! This will greatly simplify the process of creating center- or right-aligned text overlays.

DoorKnobHandle

Two tiny little glitches:

EDIT: the one below (#1) is actually my fault. See posts below...
1. when you feed DrawingSurface.DrawImage wrong coordinates, 'DS.DrawImage ( sprite.Graphic, -1, -1 )' for instance, the game crashes and reports "invalid sprite-slot number specified". This can be pretty misleading.

2. when I hit F1 while the cursor is on DynamicSprite.ColorDepth (somewhere over the ColorDepth-letters), the help page gives me a 404. This doesn't happen with any other elements, so I suppose there's a wrong link or something.

GarageGothic

Quote from: dkh on Tue 26/02/2008 15:36:161. when you feed DrawingSurface.DrawImage wrong coordinates, 'DS.DrawImage ( sprite.Graphic, -1, -1 )' for instance, the game crashes and reports "invalid sprite-slot number specified". This can be pretty misleading.

Unless you misremembered when writing this post, it's because the parameters are in the wrong order. The correct use is DrawingSurface.DrawImage(int x, int y, int slot), so you're actually specifying a sprite-slot number of -1, which would indeed be invalid.

If, on the other hand, you wrote it correctly in your script, this is bad, BAD news. I haven't gotten around to convert all my RawDraw routines to DrawingSurface functions, but I quite often RawDraw sprites at negative coordinates, so if that causes errors I really hope it'll be fixed.

DoorKnobHandle

God, I feel so stupid... Hehe, and I was wondering why my code wasn't working...

This is a really easy-to-make mistake though, and really, really hard to spot and correct, maybe it would help if the auto-helper text (which shows parameters, etc.) would show even if there's a space in between the last letter of the function-name and the opening bracket. It didn't show, because I always have a space there.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

You could also just not have a space after the function call :).  I don't think it's generally treated as a good approach and it doesn't really improve readability imo.

DoorKnobHandle

Well, it's part of my coding-style and I think it does improve readability. ;)

Style is like taste, it's down to the individual. And in this case I think a good code-editor should accept all different styles.

Pumaman

QuoteThanks for clarifying this. So presumably the following code snippets are equivalent (as far as end-results as well as run-time)

Yep.

QuoteClearly having a function does make it a bit easier to make sure the file is properly closed if it does exist, so the new internal function is definitely appreciated, but is there any chance of optimization of this function?

I don't really think File.Exists is the sort of function that will be called hundreds of times a second and need optimizing... :P

QuoteThis is a really easy-to-make mistake though, and really, really hard to spot and correct, maybe it would help if the auto-helper text (which shows parameters, etc.) would show even if there's a space in between the last letter of the function-name and the opening bracket. It didn't show, because I always have a space there.

Fair point, I think 2.72's autocomplete used to work with this. I'll look into it.

Quote2. when I hit F1 while the cursor is on DynamicSprite.ColorDepth (somewhere over the ColorDepth-letters), the help page gives me a 404. This doesn't happen with any other elements, so I suppose there's a wrong link or something.

Hmm you're right, how strange. The Room.ColorDepth and System.ColorDepth properties don't work either. I can't see anything obviously wrong with them, so I'm a bit puzzled about this one...

monkey0506

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 26/02/2008 22:33:31I don't really think File.Exists is the sort of function that will be called hundreds of times a second and need optimizing... :P

I just didn't figure it would be difficult to optimize it since I assume file functions would fall in the realm of "relatively slow". But you're right, it probably doesn't need optimizing. ;)

Cinfa

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 26/02/2008 22:33:31
Quote2. when I hit F1 while the cursor is on DynamicSprite.ColorDepth (somewhere over the ColorDepth-letters), the help page gives me a 404. This doesn't happen with any other elements, so I suppose there's a wrong link or something.

Hmm you're right, how strange. The Room.ColorDepth and System.ColorDepth properties don't work either. I can't see anything obviously wrong with them, so I'm a bit puzzled about this one...

Leave the manual in html, maybe it's Microsoft help that looses something... :P

Gilbert

You can alway decompile the chm file back into html if you want :P . Even though I don't like chm, there is no point to distribute a file-scattered-around version when there is one integrated into a single file (unless, another separate ZIP file which contains the html version, like someone who could spare his time for this in the past).

Khris

In another forum, someone noticed that manual fading won't work properly. Testing it, using a 320x200 16bit game and
function hHotspot2_Interact() {
  FadeOut(20);
  Wait(40);
  SetBackgroundFrame(1);
  Wait(20);
  FadeIn(20);
}

I've noticed that:

In D3D mode, fading doesn't seem to work at all. The screen just turns black and back instantly.
In DD5 mode, if a graphics filter is used, the screen zooms in to the upper-left corner directly before the FadeOut.
Regardless of the filter settings, neither the statusline nor Roger were visible during the FadeIn.

Pumaman

Interesting, thanks. I'll look into those.

VK Dan

When you're editing a room's script after running the game (either with or without the debugger), the autocomplete doesn't find any of the room's objects until you open/switch to the room's tab.

Pumaman

Yeah, this is a tricky one. If the room isn't loaded, AGS can't determine what objects/hotspots/etc are in it, so if you edit any room script except the currently open room it won't be able to pick up the autocomplete.

There are ways around this, such as the editor caching the names of all the room objects, but I'm not sure whether this is a big enough problem to warrant the effort of fixing it...

subspark

Hey Chris! Not much today but I have this annoying inconvenience. It is in the view editor where I click 'animate' in the show preview section. The problem is is if i want to quickly hide the preview section for more room, when I turn it back on again, the 'animate' check box defaults back to an unchecked state.
Just one of those formality things I'm afraid but it's bloody annoying.  ;)

Cheers,
Paul.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

It seems we can't name our player character Roger, or else we get:

Error: An item with the same key has already been added.
Version: AGS 3.0.1.28

System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added. ---> System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
   at AGS.CScript.Compiler.Preprocessor.PreProcessDirective(String line)
   at AGS.CScript.Compiler.Preprocessor.Preprocess(String script, String scriptName)
   at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.CompileScript(Script script, List`1 headers, CompileMessages errors, Boolean isRoomScript)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.SaveRoomOnThread(Object parameter)
   at AGS.Editor.BusyDialog.RunHandlerOnThread()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at AGS.Editor.BusyDialog.Show(String message, ProcessingHandler handler, Object parameter)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.SaveRoomButDoNotShowAnyErrors(Room room, CompileMessages errors, String pleaseWaitText)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.RecompileAnyRoomsWhereTheScriptHasChanged(CompileMessages errors, Boolean rebuildAll)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.AGSEditor_PreCompileGame(PreCompileGameEventArgs evArgs)
   at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.PreCompileGameHandler.Invoke(PreCompileGameEventArgs evArgs)
   at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.CompileGame(Boolean forceRebuild, Boolean createMiniExeForDebug)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.BuildCommandsComponent.CompileGame(Boolean forceRebuild)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.BuildCommandsComponent.CommandClick(String controlID)
   at AGS.Editor.GUIController._mainForm_OnMenuClick(String menuItemID)
   at AGS.Editor.MainMenuManager.MenuEventHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Kneel. Now.

subspark

Haha! Good eyes, Rui. I ran into that problem a while ago but didn't think anything of it.
Adventure gaming will never ever be truly complete without a Roger.

I do agree with you, I think we should be able to name our characters anything we like.

Cheers,
Paul.

monkey0506

I keep getting a strange error reportedly having to do with Game.GetLocationName:

Quote---------------------------
Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x00442C0B ; program pointer is -42, ACI version 3.01.1010, gtags (84,21)

in "MonkeyTemplate.asc", line 81
from "MonkeyTemplate.asc", line 205

OK   

I am working with my MonkeyTemplate template/module right now of course. I have tried moving the line:

String name = Game.GetLocationName(mouse.x, mouse.y);

To various locations throughout my script, but I can't seem to get it to work.

The crash file is here. Hopefully I'm not just doing something stupid.

subspark

Are you working on A SCUMM Module now monkey? Perhaps we could continue the SCUMM template we were working on a while back seeing Ashen has disappeared of the map. It's got artwork, sound and everything. PM me if you want to pick up where we left off because I don't want you to start from scratch if you don't have to.  ;)

Cheers mate,
Paul.

Sadistyk

Hello. I tried to write a region's "walk onto" event today, and when I went to save the game this showed up:

Error: Ya se agregó un elemento con la misma clave.

System.ArgumentException: Ya se agregó un elemento con la misma clave. ---> System.ArgumentException: Ya se agregó un elemento con la misma clave.
   en System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
   en System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
   en AGS.CScript.Compiler.Preprocessor.PreProcessDirective(String line)
   en AGS.CScript.Compiler.Preprocessor.Preprocess(String script, String scriptName)
   en AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.CompileScript(Script script, List`1 headers, CompileMessages errors, Boolean isRoomScript)
   en AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.SaveRoomOnThread(Object parameter)
   en AGS.Editor.BusyDialog.RunHandlerOnThread()
   --- Fin del seguimiento de la pila de la excepción interna ---
   en AGS.Editor.BusyDialog.Show(String message, ProcessingHandler handler, Object parameter)
   en AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.SaveRoomButDoNotShowAnyErrors(Room room, CompileMessages errors, String pleaseWaitText)
   en AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.SaveRoomAndShowAnyErrors(Room room)
   en AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.AGSEditor_PreSaveGame(PreSaveGameEventArgs evArgs)
   en AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.PreSaveGameHandler.Invoke(PreSaveGameEventArgs evArgs)
   en AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.SaveGameFiles()
   en AGS.Editor.Components.FileCommandsComponent.CommandClick(String controlID)
   en AGS.Editor.ToolBarManager.ToolbarEventHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   en System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   en System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   en System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   en System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   en System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   en System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   en System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   en System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   en System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   en System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   en System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   en System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   en System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   en System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

The "Error" says: "An element with the same key has already been added".

Here's the event:

function region1_WalksOnto()
{
	player.ChangeRoom(7, 160, 200);
}

naltimari

Quote from: Sadistyk on Mon 03/03/2008 13:41:33

I really question the value of localization of internal error messages. I think it gets more difficult to get support from the authors, which may not understand the error, or even to google for it, since the solutions may not be available in the same language as the error. Anyway, it's just my personal view.

To help spot the problem, it seems the error message in plain english is:

Which is the same as the error posted a couple of messages above.

SupSuper

Quote from: naltimari on Mon 03/03/2008 13:53:32
Quote from: Sadistyk on Mon 03/03/2008 13:41:33

I really question the value of localization of internal error messages. I think it gets more difficult to get support from the authors, which may not understand the error, or even to google for it, since the solutions may not be available in the same language as the error. Anyway, it's just my personal view.
Well they're .NET Framework errors, which usually follow the Windows language. Not every developer is english. :)

Non-english users can just translate them for english developers, like Sadistyk did.
Programmer looking for work

naltimari

Quote from: SupSuper on Mon 03/03/2008 17:16:42
Well they're .NET Framework errors

Yes, I know that.

Quote from: SupSuper on Mon 03/03/2008 17:16:42
Not every developer is english. :)

I'm aware of that too, and btw I'm brazilian, nevertheless I stand by my argument. To me, it's very strange to use the whole framework in english (function names, classes, etc), and then receiving error messages in a different (localized) language.

There are certain 'keywords' that appear in error messages which help to debug or understand the problem, and when they are localized, you have to 'guess' or 'reverse translate' to discover what the error was really about.

Anyway, like I said, it's just a personal view, I didnt want to start a discussion. Unless CJ is considering localization of error messages... :) but i think he's not... ;)

subspark

QuoteNot every developer is english.
Ah, but the one person likely to fix the error is... :o

So with the convenience of CJ and the would-be international translators in mind, I am inclined to agree with Naltimari although I'm not sure how much can be done to counter the behavior of the windows .net framework.

Cheers,
Paul.

Pumaman

QuoteIt is in the view editor where I click 'animate' in the show preview section. The problem is is if i want to quickly hide the preview section for more room, when I turn it back on again, the 'animate' check box defaults back to an unchecked state.

I'll take a look at this, but it's not top priority ;)

QuoteIt seems we can't name our player character Roger, or else we get:

Thanks for the report -- this crash should actually be a compile error "Macro already defined". Does this seem like a reasonable error message (ie. could you have named two things the same), or does it seem to be erroring without good reason?

QuoteI keep getting a strange error reportedly having to do with Game.GetLocationName:

I tried to download your crash dump file but got a Server Not Found error. Can you check the URL?

QuoteHello. I tried to write a region's "walk onto" event today, and when I went to save the game this showed up:
The "Error" says: "An element with the same key has already been added".

Thanks, this looks like the same error that Rui is getting. Could you have potentially named two views/characters the same before it occurred?

Sadistyk

No, but I assigned the same view number to the "NormalView" and "SpeechView" properties of the same character. Later, I set the "SpeechView" to 0, but I still get the same error.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

No, I don't seem to have anything else called "cRoger"...

Kneel. Now.

GarageGothic

I was surprised to see the nice new debug menu for teleporting between rooms. However, I have one small request: Could the text field please be empty by default? Perhaps it's just a habit from the old functionality, but by reflex I keep pressing CTRL-X, typing the room number I want to go to (without using backspace) and pressing Enter, leading to the game crashing because I teleported to a non-existing room (for example I intend to teleport from room 8 to room 2 but end up in room 82).

While I appreciate the use of displaying the current room number, there's rarely any need to teleport to the same room that you're in. Perhaps there could be a label displaying "Current room:" at the top right corner of the menu instead?

Edit: Are anybody else having problems with some anti-aliased GUI fonts being displayed as transparent in the latest beta (on an otherwise solid GUI you can see the room's background through the letters, while the antialiased edges are still in color)? I haven't been able to find any consistency to it; they are all truetype fonts using a wide range of colors, yet some display normally and some are see-through. None of them use outlines. Once I turn off anti-aliasing, they all appear normal. This is in DirectX 5 mode, I can't test Direct 3D on this computer. It happens in full screen as well as windowed mode, and independent of whether "downgrade to 16-bit color" is checked (game is 32-bit, 640x480).

Edit 2: Added screenshots. Seeing them upscaled, I realize that it's not the antialiased edges that are still displayed, as I previously thought but just random(?) pixels of the font. The room background here uses the magical pink color, but the effect in other rooms is the same. It's just easier to see the nature of the issue here.

Font with anti-aliasing:

Font without anti-aliasing:

Edit 3: Problem solved! See below.

monkey0506

Hmm...I'm guessing my server just didn't like the DMP file...since I was too lazy to archive it. :D

I've mirrored it on my Brinkster space: CrashInfo.dmp RAR

Eep I always seem to have hosting issues. Maybe I should just look into actually paying for this stuff. 8)

GrogGames

(i don't speak english very well, I'm from argentina, sorry if you don't understand)

I get this error in our game

Error: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array. ---> System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at AGS.CScript.Compiler.Preprocessor.RemoveComments(String text)
   at AGS.CScript.Compiler.Preprocessor.Preprocess(String script, String scriptName)
   at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.CompileScript(Script script, List`1 headers, CompileMessages errors, Boolean isRoomScript)
   at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.CompileScripts(Object parameter)
   at AGS.Editor.BusyDialog.Show(String message, ProcessingHandler handler, Object parameter)
   at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.CompileGame(Boolean forceRebuild, Boolean createMiniExeForDebug)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.BuildCommandsComponent.CompileGame(Boolean forceRebuild)
   at AGS.Editor.ToolBarManager.ToolbarEventHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)

i am using the module Scrolling Dialog 2.0 Beta ,  i don't know if that is related with this error. But in Ags 3.0 don't happen.

thanks!

Dave Gilbert

I get a similar error as rui.  I have two rooms in my game.  I create a third blank room and can compile the game fine.  Whenever I make any changes to the new room, I get this message:

System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added. ---> System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
   at AGS.CScript.Compiler.Preprocessor.PreProcessDirective(String line)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.SaveRoomButDoNotShowAnyErrors(Room room, CompileMessages errors, String pleaseWaitText)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.SaveRoomAndShowAnyErrors(Room room)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.AGSEditor_PreSaveGame(PreSaveGameEventArgs evArgs)
   at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.PreSaveGameHandler.Invoke(PreSaveGameEventArgs evArgs)
   at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.SaveGameFiles()
   at AGS.Editor.Components.FileCommandsComponent.CommandClick(String controlID)

Pumaman

Ok, I need to get to the root cause of this issue, so I've uploaded a beta 3a. This is not a full new release, but just the latest build that I have, which should fix this crash and reveal what's behind it.

QuoteI keep getting a strange error reportedly having to do with Game.GetLocationName:

Hmm, does this only happen in a particular room? How often does it crash? Can you upload a game that demonstrates the problem?

GarageGothic

Thanks for the CTRL-X fix, CJ.

SOLVED! See Edit 2 for detail.
I just discovered that the transparent AA text on GUIs bug I mentioned above isn't isolated to text. While testing the verbcoin mode from my game, I got this:

The hand is supposed to be grey, but here it's transparent (creating a see-through hole in the solid GUI). Perhaps you can even glimpse a bluecup object behind the GUI.

Edit: I think I now worked out why it affects some sprites/labels but not others: If the GUI has a background image, all text and images render fine. If the GUI background is a solid color, AA text is see-through. Button sprites that don't have transparent areas look fine, those that do are displayed in this way (transparency in the sprite is unaffected, but the non-transparent areas "punch holes" through the GUI).

Edit 2: Aha! I think I got it! It's related to the BackgroundImage property. If it's set to 0, everything is as it should be. If it's set to -1 (as it for some reason was for some of the GUIs - despite never having caused trouble before) it displays as described. I'm not sure if this is as designed? Anyhow, now I'm setting all the BackgroundImages to 0 and the issue should be solved.

monkey0506

I think I've isolated the problem. I started encountering errors when I moved the Game.GetLocationName line from my rep_ex function to my label-updating function within my module. So to test if I could get it working anywhere else I tried the line in the global script's game_start function. It still crashed with the same error which worried me until I realized how absurd it was to try and get the name of the location under the mouse from game_start.

I checked and I am calling the label-updating function from within game_start to make sure the label is updated before the first screen loads. Previously I'd been appending the location name in rep_ex. When I moved the line the game started trying to call Game.GetLocationName from game_start which apparently the engine doesn't like to do.

Presumably this could be by-passed by simply using the eEventEnterRoomBeforeFadein event, but I haven't tested if getting the location name works there.

Oh, and a more friendly error, you know something along the lines of "WTF are you trying to do with the name of a location that doesn't yet exist moron?" would be helpful! :=

Pumaman

QuoteEdit 2: Aha! I think I got it! It's related to the BackgroundImage property. If it's set to 0, everything is as it should be. If it's set to -1 (as it for some reason was for some of the GUIs - despite never having caused trouble before) it displays as described. I'm not sure if this is as designed? Anyhow, now I'm setting all the BackgroundImages to 0 and the issue should be solved.

Ahh, yes it looks like there's a fault where it assumes the GUI should have an alpha channel if the BackgroundImage is -1. I'll get it fixed.

Quotethink I've isolated the problem. I started encountering errors when I moved the Game.GetLocationName line from my rep_ex function to my label-updating function within my module. So to test if I could get it working anywhere else I tried the line in the global script's game_start function

Yep, that would explain it. I'll add a proper error message rather than this crash to future versions if you try to do this.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I ran into a rather annoying situation when trying to launch a separate game inside of Boyd Quest:

This seems to occur because Boyd Quest uses a few custom modules I made while the other game (a much simpler one) does not need them and thus does not have them loaded.  I don't see a reason why this should even crash the system, really, since I'm using RunAGSGame and passing 0 for it to launch from scratch in both cases.  I'll add that both games are compiled under the current beta and that a special save game is set aside (and used) in boyd quest right before the other game is launched, and it is this game that it attempts to restore.

Pumaman

Hmm that's strange, it should have loaded in the other game by the time it tries to check that. I'll have a look at it.

naltimari

Maybe I went a little far ahead on the modularization of my code, but today I got a 'Too many scripts in the game' message. I got 16 scripts, plus the GlobalScript. It's not that much... :)

I would love to see this limit raised to as high as 'unlimited'... ;)

Serioulsy, can we have a little more scripts? 32? Please?

subspark

Wow! Theres a limit on modules? Explain why to the dumb artist?  :)

Paul.

SSH

Is there a reason why exported modules from the latest AGSes sometimes create warnings when imported into AGS 2.72, even if the code actually loads and runs OK. Is there some extra stuff in the SCM files? If so, would it be possible to have a export backwards-compatible option? As it is, I have to cut-and-paste the AGS 3.0(1) code into 2.72 and export from there, which is not great.

Pumaman

QuoteMaybe I went a little far ahead on the modularization of my code, but today I got a 'Too many scripts in the game' message. I got 16 scripts, plus the GlobalScript.

Hmm, I'd forgotten that limit was there. Seems like you're the first person to need that many scripts ;)
I'll take a look at it.

QuoteIs there a reason why exported modules from the latest AGSes sometimes create warnings when imported into AGS 2.72, even if the code actually loads and runs OK

Can you provide more detail? What warnings do you get? Can you post a sample SCM file that reproduces the problem?

naltimari

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 11/03/2008 20:00:39
Hmm, I'd forgotten that limit was there. Seems like you're the first person to need that many scripts ;)
I'll take a look at it.

Well, as a full-time programmer and part-time game developer ;), I tend to modularize my code as much as possible. I have modules that handle mouse movements, custom-made GUIs, dialogs, collectable items, a bunch of 3rd party modules, etc etc.

I could group a bunch of them together, but I guess modularization is the way to go, especially now that modules are so neat. :)

GarageGothic

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 11/03/2008 20:00:39
QuoteMaybe I went a little far ahead on the modularization of my code, but today I got a 'Too many scripts in the game' message. I got 16 scripts, plus the GlobalScript.

I'll take a look at it.

Heh, I remember mentioning this limit a while back on version 2.72, and it was actually one of the changes I looked most forward to in 3.0. I just assumed it was gone now (with most of those other arbitrary limits), so I didn't even test it.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

It would be nice if player.on and game.in_cutscene were documented, they're nice and handy things to know about.

Kneel. Now.

subspark

QuoteHmm, I'd forgotten that limit was there. Seems like you're the first person to need that many scripts Wink
I'll take a look at it.

Thanks Chris. I tend to modularize my scripts too. Neat is good :).

Cheers,
Paul.

Pumaman

Quote from: GarageGothic on Wed 12/03/2008 01:42:57
Heh, I remember mentioning this limit a while back on version 2.72, and it was actually one of the changes I looked most forward to in 3.0. I just assumed it was gone now (with most of those other arbitrary limits), so I didn't even test it.

Hehe now that you mention it, I do remember you asking about it too. Well, I've upped it to 50 scripts temporarily for this release, with an aim to removing the limit in future.

QuoteIt would be nice if player.on and game.in_cutscene were documented, they're nice and handy things to know about.

player.on isn't properly supported so I won't be documenting it, but game.in_cutscene probably should be, I'll look into it.

Anyway, beta 4 is now up which fixes some things and adds a few other things.

SSH

This happens when I put a breakpoint in a module, Run the game, hit the breakpoint, exit game with Windows "X" button then run the game with debugger again:

Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x004274FD ; program pointer is +4300, ACI version 3.01.1014, gtags (2017,18)

etc.

CrashInfo.dmp file

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Is the script module issue with RunAGSGame() I posted fixed in this version, CJ?  ;)

SSH

Quote from: SSH on Tue 11/03/2008 17:28:02
Is there a reason why exported modules from the latest AGSes sometimes create warnings when imported into AGS 2.72, even if the code actually loads and runs OK. Is there some extra stuff in the SCM files? If so, would it be possible to have a export backwards-compatible option? As it is, I have to cut-and-paste the AGS 3.0(1) code into 2.72 and export from there, which is not great.

This zip contains SCMs dumped from 2.72 and 3.01 of the same module. The 3.01 one gives an error on importing into 2.72, although it actually loads OK. A quick look at them shows they are nearly identical except I think the 2.72 one has an extra 32-bit integer right at the end that the 3.01 one doesn't.

tristan78

When I export and then import a GUI with mutated vowel (for example ä, ö, ü or àŸ), this error pops up:

Adventure Game Studio
There was an error importing the GUI. The error was: Ungültiges Zeichen in der angegebenen Codierung. Zeile 1, Position 653.
OK   

Translation: Illegal character at the stated coding. Line 1, Position 653.

When I replace the mutated vowel, it works.

Tested with editor versions 3.0.0.23 and 3.0.1.30

GUI with mutated vowel
Same GUI without mutated vowel

lemmy101

Nice work CJ! :)

One thing? Has anything changed that might influence the AGSPlugin call to DrawText()? I've got this code:

GetAGS()->DrawText(x, y, 0, 58136, (char*)szString);

It doesn't seem to be drawing anything on the POSTSCREENDRAW event any more.

Thanks!

lemmy

Pumaman

QuoteThis happens when I put a breakpoint in a module, Run the game, hit the breakpoint, exit game with Windows "X" button then run the game with debugger again:

Thanks for the crash dump, I'll look into fixing this for the next beta.

QuoteIs the script module issue with RunAGSGame() I posted fixed in this version, CJ?

I haven't been able to replicate this. I created two games, one with 10 script modules and one with 2. I then used RunAGSGames to run one from the other, and restored a game back to the first one without any problems.

QuoteThis zip contains SCMs dumped from 2.72 and 3.01 of the same module. The 3.01 one gives an error on importing into 2.72, although it actually loads OK. A quick look at them shows they are nearly identical except I think the 2.72 one has an extra 32-bit integer right at the end that the 3.01 one doesn't.

Hmm I'm not really sure which files are which here, the contents of the zip is a bit confusing. I imported both the .SCM files without errors into 2.72 -- could you clarify which is the faulty file?

QuoteWhen I export and then import a GUI with mutated vowel (for example ä, ö, ü or àŸ), this error pops up:

Thanks, I'll look into it.

QuoteOne thing? Has anything changed that might influence the AGSPlugin call to DrawText()? I've got this code:

Are you talking about something specific to beta 4, or a change from 2.72?

subspark

Hey Chris. Listen I know you've already got a lot on your plate but I still have these strange visual artifacts introduced back in the very first version of AGS 2.8. I've put up with it up until now but I feel that my work is being hindered by these visual glitches of the interface. You mentioned once that it was due to using larger DPI fonts. I replied to you back then after testing AGS on a system without 120Dpi fonts enabled and the problems still persisted. I am left wondering if there is anything else that might be causing AGS to appear like the following:

http://www.shuugouteki.net/paul/Development/visual_artifacts.gif

A million cheers mate,
Paul.

Gilbert

In fact, for me, these aren't new artifacts. As I'm not using English Window$, the texts were never displayed correctly for me since the first window$ version of the editor.

subspark

Is that right! :o Gee I hope we get this artifact stuff fixed sooner rather than later.
What language do you use, Gilbot?

Cheers,
Paul.

Gilbert

Chinese, but I wouldn't care about these minor glitches unless they prevent me to use some of the features.

lemmy101

QuoteOne thing? Has anything changed that might influence the AGSPlugin call to DrawText()? I've got this code:

Are you talking about something specific to beta 4, or a change from 2.72?

Hi CJ. :) It worked fine in beta 3 (not sure about 3a) so is a recent thing.

Thanks!

lemmy

subspark

QuoteChinese, but I wouldn't care about these minor glitches unless they prevent me to use some of the features.

Well the reason I posted this is because it actually disrupts my work-flow. If you look at my image properly you'll notice that the view/animation previews are barely visible and the radial buttons that are supposed to be on the right hand side of the dialog system are not visible. While I would LOVE to see all these ugly interface glitches cleared up someday, I believe that now is the time to correct the ones that disrupt our development pipeline.

Cheers,
Paul.

SSH

Quote from: Pumaman link=topic=33624.msg442531#msg442531
QuoteThis zip contains SCMs dumped from 2.72 and 3.01 of the same module. The 3.01 one gives an error on importing into 2.72, although it actually loads OK. A quick look at them shows they are nearly identical except I think the 2.72 one has an extra 32-bit integer right at the end that the 3.01 one doesn't.

Hmm I'm not really sure which files are which here, the contents of the zip is a bit confusing. I imported both the .SCM files without errors into 2.72 -- could you clarify which is the faulty file?

:-[ oops, I pointed you at the wrong zip file  ::)
Try this one: http://ssh.me.uk/dev/scm272and301.zip

Pumaman

QuoteListen I know you've already got a lot on your plate but I still have these strange visual artifacts introduced back in the very first version of AGS 2.8. I've put up with it up until now but I feel that my work is being hindered by these visual glitches of the interface.

If you're running your fonts at larger than the standard 96 DPI then these sorts of issues will occur. At the moment, I don't think that the amount of time it would take to fix them all would be worth the hassle, though I will take a look at it.

QuoteHi CJ.  It worked fine in beta 3 (not sure about 3a) so is a recent thing.

I don't think that any behaviour around this has changed in beta 4. Are you using the DX5 driver, because I wouldn't expect DrawText to work with D3D.

Quoteoops, I pointed you at the wrong zip file 
Try this one: http://ssh.me.uk/dev/scm272and301.zip

Thanks, I've found the problem. I'm sure I fixed this a while back, but evidently not!

TheMagician

* Added Create Voice Acting Script option
* Added back Ctrl+G/Ctrl+H
* Bracket Check now works with opening brackets again

I feel it's time for me to thank you once again for your continued effort with AGS. Thanks a lot, CJ.  :D

lemmy101

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 18/03/2008 14:45:37
QuoteHi CJ.  It worked fine in beta 3 (not sure about 3a) so is a recent thing.

I don't think that any behaviour around this has changed in beta 4. Are you using the DX5 driver, because I wouldn't expect DrawText to work with D3D.

Hmmm no, we have the DX development in a different plugin for now, and AGX is still using the DX5 drivers. I'll have a play see if I can give you more info, but all I can say is it is calling DrawText with a valid string, and an on screen location, in the POSTSCREENDRAW on DX5, and we're not getting any text displayed.

Thanks!

lemmy

subspark

QuoteI don't think that the amount of time it would take to fix them all would be worth the hassle, though I will take a look at it.
Thanks mate. I very much appreciate it. Although Vista supports any dpi font, 96 and 120 dpi are standards set in XP and support for both would be ideal. People with larger screens and greater resolution tend to use 120 dpi as fonts are remarkably clearer and easier to read.

If it makes any difference, I tried AGS twice on a 96dpi setting and, again, the same issue presents itself. I think it's because AGS doesn't realize the dpi settings have been changed back to 96. The menu bar font is 96 dpi but the contents inside of the editor remain in their 120 dpi appearance.

To be frank and slightly off topic, I honestly don't know how anybody puts up with 96 dpi. I run a resolution of 1280x1024 on my smaller LCD here and its just as minute and unbearable as it is on my 30" Apple Cinema Display running 2560x1600. I challenge any of you to try 120 dpi for a week and see if they can go back. It seems like 96dpi is that magical number thats big enough for the world not to notice and kick a fuss but just that little bit too small for those who have already tried it's larger counterpart. "I really do hate you and your tormenting mind games, Microsoft!" ;)

Cheers,
Paul.

SSH

I generally like to have fonts as small as possible to get as much info on the screen as I can without scrolling. Perhaps Paul should make an optician's appointment ;) :P

Gilbert

I'm not sure, even if the display can display up to 2560x1600, should it be able to display 1280x800 too? As the highest resolution an AGS game can have is only 800x600 at the moment. Using the editor with a desktop resolution absurbly high is just an overkill, not to mention the need to use large font size to cater with the resolution. I think it's fair to just change the desktop to 1280x800 with small fonts when the AGS editor is being used.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

"Check for Updates" didn't tell me of the update from beta 3 to beta 4, is that intentional?

Kneel. Now.

lemmy101

Hi, not sure if it's just us, or if it's already been reported, but when we do for e.g.:

cMia.ChangeRoom(12, 100, 100);

it sets her position to 100, 100, and THEN it fades out to change room, which is making all the room transitions look a bit odd at the moment.

Sorry if this has already been reported.

Thanks,

lemmy

SSH

I think it was reported here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=33352.0 but that was in Beginner's Tech and may have been missed even by the Ceej's omniscience. Looks like 3.0 introduced the problem. Obviously it wouldn't be too hard to:

#define STAYTHERE -1000
int crx=-1000;
int cry=-1000;

function ChangeRoomFixed(this Character *, int room, int x, int y) {
  if (player==this) {
    crx=x; cry=y; this.ChangeRoom(room);
  } else {
    this.ChangeRoom(room, x, y);
  }
}

export ChangeRoomFixed;

function on_event(EventType event) {
  if (event==eEventEnterRoom && crx!=STAYTHERE) {
    player.x=crx;
    player.y=cry;
    crx=STAYTHERE; cry=STAYTHERE;
  }
}

// In header:
import function ChangeRoomFixed(this Character *, int room, int x=STAYTHERE, int y=STAYTHERE);

SSH

The AGS 3.0(+) manual is wrong when it says:

Sometimes, you may want to set a variable value that can be shared between a room script and your global script. There are two ways to do this -- you can export the variable from the global script and then import it in the script header, but that's a bit advanced for this tutorial. A simpler way is to use one of the 300 GlobalInts, which use the script functions SetGlobalInt and GetGlobalInt to access them. See their manual descriptions for more information. 

in the tutorial. In fact, this si the only place it really tells you how to export variables rather than  functions.

subspark

QuoteUsing the editor with a desktop resolution absurbly high is just an overkill
I'm sorry but thats a ridiculous statement and one that is unacceptable.
I work IN the games industry with licensed engines such as Unreal 3 and CryEngine 2 and they run fine at the
standard
my 30" display and DX10 GPU is set on. Hell, even MS Paint works in a resolution independent environment. AGS should be no different as to require 'some' users, to change their desktop resolution and dpi configuration every time the editor is launched. I'm sorry but this is more than a backwards approach and a hindrance to users who are equipped with technology to develop for next-gen games and other high-end applications. Why can't people accept that AGS is not just a tool for hobbyists. I mean I hate to burst your bubble like this but not everybody works in Uncle Sam's Retail and runs a VGA card.
Ask yourself, Gilbot, would you alter your resolution every time you launch your email software. Or perhaps you would like to switch to 800x600 and change your mouse speed, and your color depth oh and I don't know disable your firewall. Do you see where this is going?
I know you mean well and I don't at all mean to be offensive but sweeping statements like that really boil my blood, man.  >:(

Paul.

SSH

Perhaps if you find AGS "unacceptable" you should use another tool.

subspark

What kind of justification is that?  ???
Please don't twist my words, SSH. What I am asking for is perfectly reasonable.

Paul.

SSH

AGS looks fine for me at 1280x1024 and 1440x900 which is probably what most people have. Perhaps it would be reasonable to ask for obscure display sizes to look nicer if CJ had a 50" display like yours to test it on: maybe you'd like to lend him yours?

Recluse

I'm running a flat screen and AGS doesn't look too great. But I'm not complaining, because I'm more interested in the functionality it provides than how pretty the IDE looks when I'm coding in it...

Then again, ever since I got this flatscreen... everything's gotten screwy...
All your verbcoin are belong to us.

GarageGothic

Sorry for double posting, but I was afraid that this might get lost among the other wild ideas in the suggestions thread.  I consider it somewhat of a "lost functionality" in the move from RawDraw to DrawingSurface, so I'm sorry I didn't point it out during the 3.0 beta phase:

Suggestion: A DynamicSprite.CreateFromDrawingSurface(DrawingSurface*, int x, int y, int width, int height) function similar to DynamicSprite.CreateFromBackground.

Please see full explanation for this request in my original post in the Suggestions for AGS 3.0.1 thread.

I really hope you'll consider this, CJ.

subspark

QuoteThen again, ever since I got this flat screen... every thing's gotten screwy...
Well I've been running AGS on a 1280x1024 for a few months now, my 30" is being used for other projects right now but I have had these graphical artifacts since version 2.8. While particular forum members are just itching to ostentatiously twist my words because they view my equipment and setup as rare, the reality is that it doesn't matter what resolution I run AGS in as it still presents visual problems.

I'm not after a prettier GUI in any way, I'm after a fully functional GUI and if anyone would care to look at the screen shot I took the time to put together they will notice that amongst other less important problems there are two major bugs that obstruct my work flow in a number of ways. While SSH would prefer to spend his time putting me into a turgid category, I imagine Chris would more likely spend his time fixing bugs that incur a less-than-desirable workflow.

This might surprise you SSH, but AGS is actually a tool for everyone, not everyone -1.
If you want to take this further, I'd be glad to discuss the dangers and history of categorizing people in groups labeled 'other' or 'foreign' over a PM or two as your apparent lack of social intelligence and decency has no place on the forum.

I shouldn't have to explain myself again.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I have to say that I agree it's very unreasonable to dismiss certain resolutions "just because". The game engine can have it's limitations, but the editor should be available for everyone in the same way that, say, Microsoft Word is. It should be able to run at pretty much every resolution and color depth (accourse, set them too low and things'll be screwy, but that's strictly the user's responsability). Suggesting changing the desktop resolution and/or any other thing each time AGS is started, to then reset it back when it's done... it's highly unreasonable.

Kneel. Now.

Antonio

Quote from: subspark on Wed 19/03/2008 18:54:11

I'm sorry but thats a ridiculous statement and one that is unacceptable.

I work IN the games industry

I'm sorry but this is more than a backwards approach and a hindrance to users who are equipped with technology to develop for next-gen games and other high-end applications.

I mean I hate to burst your bubble like this but not everybody works in Uncle Sam's Retail and runs a VGA card.

Why are you so condescending Sparky? It really boils my blood, man

Pumaman

QuoteHmmm no, we have the DX development in a different plugin for now, and AGX is still using the DX5 drivers. I'll have a play see if I can give you more info, but all I can say is it is calling DrawText with a valid string, and an on screen location, in the POSTSCREENDRAW on DX5, and we're not getting any text displayed.

Ok, I'll look into it -- though I can't think what might have changed in beta 4.

Quote"Check for Updates" didn't tell me of the update from beta 3 to beta 4, is that intentional?

Haha, I should never have added that feature, I'm always forgetting to update the latest version setting on the server. Should be fixed now.

QuotecMia.ChangeRoom(12, 100, 100);

it sets her position to 100, 100, and THEN it fades out to change room, which is making all the room transitions look a bit odd at the moment.

I'll look into this, as SSH has pointed out it has been reported before but I must have missed it.

QuoteThe AGS 3.0(+) manual is wrong when it says:
in the tutorial. In fact, this si the only place it really tells you how to export variables rather than  functions.

Sorry, I'm not really sure what your point is here? Are you saying that the manual doesn't actually explain exporting/importing variables and that it needs to?

QuoteSuggestion: A DynamicSprite.CreateFromDrawingSurface(DrawingSurface*, int x, int y, int width, int height) function similar to DynamicSprite.CreateFromBackground.

Can you not use something like DynamicSprite.Create(width,height) and then DrawImage(-x,-y) to simulate this?

QuoteThis might surprise you SSH, but AGS is actually a tool for everyone, not everyone -1.

Alright, this bickering has got to stop -- this isn't what the Technical Forum is for.

* Yes I agree that the editor should look nice whatever your DPI is set to.
* In theory this is handled automatically by the .NET Framework so I need to investigate why it isn't working.
* But because you have to restart your computer to change the DPI it's a pain in the ass to test.
* I agree that it should be fixed but I don't see it as an urgent issue that needs to be fixed immediately.

GarageGothic

Quote from: Pumaman on Wed 19/03/2008 23:52:54
QuoteSuggestion: A DynamicSprite.CreateFromDrawingSurface(DrawingSurface*, int x, int y, int width, int height) function similar to DynamicSprite.CreateFromBackground.

Can you not use something like DynamicSprite.Create(width,height) and then DrawImage(-x,-y) to simulate this?

As I explained in the linked thread, there are workarounds. Your solution avoids the cropping stage, which is a great idea. But still, since I need to perform the same operation 1-200 times every loop, I'd rather avoid copying/drawing the full sprite:

QuoteMost of my distortion effects work by retrieving part of an image, distorting it and drawing it to either the original surface or a new one. Previously, I used the background as a buffer (which is no longer feasible due to slowdowns in Direct3D mode), and found DynamicSprite.CreateFromBackground very handy. But now my workflow looks like this:

1) Draw surface to a temporary DynamicSprite (sprite A)
2) Create an even more temporary copy of sprite A (sprite B)
3) Crop sprite B down to the actual area to deform (often a single row of pixels)
4) Deform cropped sprite B and draw it back to DrawingSurface
5) Repeat steps 2 through 4 until the whole sprite has been deformed

Without knowing exactly how AGS handles copies of sprites internally, I would guess that the repeated copying and cropping of the full sprite must be quite a bit slower than creating a new sprite consisting only of the needed area.

Andail

Quote from: subspark on Wed 19/03/2008 22:11:12
If you want to take this further, I'd be glad to discuss the dangers and history of categorizing people in groups labeled 'other' or 'foreign' over a PM or two as your apparent lack of social intelligence and decency has no place on the forum.

That attitude won't get you anywhere. You're hardly in a position to tell what belongs on this forum and what doesn't, nor to use words like "unacceptable" when speaking of the engine's capacity.
If the current restrictions of AGS "incur a less-than-desirable workflow" I suggest you go back to your industry and focus on your commercial block-busters until AGS has caught up with your standards.

SSH

As per this thread AGS should really stop people calling views, guis, characters, etc. anything that would cause a compile error... as soon as they type it in, since the errors caused are very unclear to most people.

rock_chick

This isn't a bug or error issue but something that has got me completely confused. In the old version there was an easy way to find the auto generated dialogues for things such as talking to yourself, etc. and a very easy way to set up room messages and global messages but with the new versions I can't work out how to do any of this. The only thing I can find that can help is the Dialogue area, but I've imported a game using an older version of AGS, 2.7 I think so my room messages are still there. Basically is this all organised under the new system. I did read the manual for hotspot messages but they just lead to me the dialogue editor

SSH

rock_chick, all messages are no longer supported going forward. You need to script up messages like this:

player.Say("I'm looking good");

which you'll find easier, in the long run, I hope. Imported games retain their old messages, but there's no way to change them (other than re-importing)

subspark: I looked at your artifacts and as far as I can see they are all cosmetic except for two: the Say/Show radio buttons and the View preview. It looks to me like the view preview cannot be worked around and is therefore higher priority. But the say/show buttons can be made visible if you drag the split between the script and the options to the right (although the draggable bit is hard to find)

And for reference, here's the screen resolutions of people who've read my blog: http://ssh.me.uk/img/screenresstarts.png

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

rock_chick, thankfully SSH is talking about Global Messages, as Room Messages are still there. Which I'm very grateful for, as I actively use them in my still-ongoing-WIP IF template, and are generally still very usefull for less-standard message manageament.

Kneel. Now.

rock_chick

Quote from: Rui 'Trovatore' Pires on Thu 20/03/2008 12:55:37
rock_chick, thankfully SSH is talking about Global Messages, as Room Messages are still there. Which I'm very grateful for, as I actively use them in my still-ongoing-WIP IF template, and are generally still very usefull for less-standard message manageament.
Okay I understand the globally messaging now but do I get to make room messages? I can't work it out with this new interface.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Open a room and take a look at the pane in the lower-left or lower-right of the screen, wherever you've defined it to be. It's just above "Room Properties".

Ayuh, it's not too intuitive for people who've gotten used to the olden way, but you'll get used to it.

Kneel. Now.

rock_chick

Quote from: Rui 'Trovatore' Pires on Thu 20/03/2008 13:13:57
Open a room and take a look at the pane in the lower-left or lower-right of the screen, wherever you've defined it to be. It's just above "Room Properties".

Ayuh, it's not too intuitive for people who've gotten used to the olden way, but you'll get used to it.

Yeah I checked that out before but it's not allowing me to add any new messages, for any rooms at all.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Right-click anywhere in the message field.

Kneel. Now.

rock_chick

CaptainBinky

Quote from: SSH on Thu 20/03/2008 12:50:49And for reference, here's the screen resolutions of people who've read my blog: http://ssh.me.uk/img/screenresstarts.png

Bug Report for SSH:
I read your blog a day or two ago and my screen res is 1600x1200. :)

A Lemmy & Binky Production

Pumaman

QuoteAs I explained in the linked thread, there are workarounds. Your solution avoids the cropping stage, which is a great idea. But still, since I need to perform the same operation 1-200 times every loop, I'd rather avoid copying/drawing the full sprite:

Ok, I'll look into it.

QuoteAs per this thread AGS should really stop people calling views, guis, characters, etc. anything that would cause a compile error... as soon as they type it in, since the errors caused are very unclear to most people.

Fair point, it should really.

As far as I can see, this only affects some screen transition types and only the Direct3D driver. Has anyone had this problem with the DX5 driver?

lemmy101

As far as I can see, this only affects some screen transition types and only the Direct3D driver. Has anyone had this problem with the DX5 driver?

Us, actually. The version I'm getting this on is still in DX5, we've not ported the overlay system across to DX9 yet. :S
I've tried it on Instant and FadeOutFadeIn and is doing it on both.

Cheers!

lemmy

subspark

Thanks for the info, SSH. I'm stumped as to why a reasonable response like yours wasn't posted in the first place.

Paul.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Another thing odd with the fade effects is that if you fade out and then in while in the same room the characters do not appear until AFTER the fade in finishes, so they are there during the fade out and then gone until it fades completely back in.

Pumaman

Is this definitely still the case with beta 4? I did some fixes around fade out/in in earlier betas.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

It wasn't working in beta 3a but it does work properly in beta 4, so good job!

GarageGothic

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 20/03/2008 17:29:23
QuoteAs I explained in the linked thread, there are workarounds. Your solution avoids the cropping stage, which is a great idea. But still, since I need to perform the same operation 1-200 times every loop, I'd rather avoid copying/drawing the full sprite:

Ok, I'll look into it.

Thanks a bundle!

CJ, I have a question about how DrawingSurface.Release() works. I have several different visual effect scripts in my game which may need to draw to the same DynamicSprite (running multiple particle systems at the same time for instance). Back in AGS 2.72 when I used the background as a temporary drawing surface for DynamicSprites, I avoided using RawRestoreScreen() within the functions, but rather set a variable to mark the background as dirty and then RawRestored the screen in a script at the very bottom of the module list.
Now, as for 3.0, the manual states that DrawingSurface.Release() "[t]ells AGS that you have finished drawing onto this surface, and that AGS can now upload the changed image into video memory." Does this mean that the changed sprite is directly uploaded to video memory, or does the function rather - like my 2.72 script - mark the sprite as changed and update it at the end of the loop.

In other words, can I use DrawingSurface.Release() multiple times during a loop without any slowdown, or should I rather keep the DrawingSurface open throughout the game loop and only release it at the very end?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

GG, if it helps - if you call Release() and then have a Wait() function, the screen won't be updated until it's finished Waiting.

However, during that time, if you move the mouse over the screen, it leaves a trail of the image released.

Didn't want to talk about it, because I've never touched the RawDraw functions and have suddenly begun experimenting with the new Drawing functions, and half the time I had to figure out what the heck was supposed to happen and why stuff wasn't happening right and etc. But I did have the aforementioned issue - which might have been just a slip-up in my code, anyway. Still - does it help answer your question in any way?

Kneel. Now.

GarageGothic

Hmmm, yes I guess that means the sprite isn't uploaded to video memory until either the loop or a blocking command finishes. Sounds weird about the mouse trail though. Part of my html-like script uses Wait() commands in-between chunks of drawing code to avoid drops in framerate which lead to choppy audio. I wonder if the mouse issue would also happen if I don't Release() the DrawingSurface until the end of the process.

Thanks for the info, Rui. I hope CJ can clarify further.

Pumaman

QuoteNow, as for 3.0, the manual states that DrawingSurface.Release() "[t]ells AGS that you have finished drawing onto this surface, and that AGS can now upload the changed image into video memory." Does this mean that the changed sprite is directly uploaded to video memory, or does the function rather - like my 2.72 script - mark the sprite as changed and update it at the end of the loop

It is marked as changed and updated at the end of the loop, so if you have multiple calls to GetDrawingSurface and then Release for the same sprite, it should only actually get updated once.

QuoteGG, if it helps - if you call Release() and then have a Wait() function, the screen won't be updated until it's finished Waiting.

However, during that time, if you move the mouse over the screen, it leaves a trail of the image released.

That doesn't sound right at all, please can you be more specific about what you're trying to do and what is happening?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Oh boy. Nevermind, I've just gone through my code and I've just described what happened when I DIDN'T release it before Wait. I tried that at some point because I didn't want to release it before I restored the backup. It's simple, I wanted to RawDraw text, wait and then erase it - and I knew if I called Release I wouldn't be able to restore the background (only later I found I could just declare a new Drawing Surface). And I just described what happened when I tried to Wait BEFORE Releasing. I do remember that NOT having a blocking function and NOT calling release also displayed it, which is why I tried this in the first place.

Another false alarm, sorry about that,

Kneel. Now.

GarageGothic

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 25/03/2008 15:27:38It is marked as changed and updated at the end of the loop, so if you have multiple calls to GetDrawingSurface and then Release for the same sprite, it should only actually get updated once.

Great, just as I hoped. Thanks for clearing that up.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

CJ, I'm dreadfully sorry, please replace the Default Game with the following:

http://www.lumpcity.co.uk/~skimbleshanks/Default%20Game.agt

Reason is - if the player saves, say, a WINDOWED game, the GAMMA slider will be turned off, because in a windowed gamme gamma don't work. But if the player LOADS that game full-screen, gamma should be turned back on. That doesn't happen right now, sorry. I added a check to on_event eEventRestoreGame to ensure this happens.

AFAIK, the onlt games that suffer from this right now are The Book Unfinished and Lazytown.

Kneel. Now.

Pumaman

Rui -- thanks, I'll look into putting that new version into the next version.

For now, RC 1 is up. I don't want 3.0.1 to drag on forever, and there are already quite a few important fixes to AGS 3.0 contained in it, so I think I'd like to draw a line under 3.0.1 at this point and declare that it's time to stop adding new features and allow it to mature for an official release.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Said maturing will include ability to left/center/or-right-align RawDrawn text, as mentioned earlier in this thread, won't it? ::)

Already there, nevermind. Sheesh. How come I keep doing these things.

Kneel. Now.

subspark

It gets the best of us my friend ;).

Paul.

lemmy101

Awesmoe stuff CJ! this version is as close as we've had to 100% perfect since the move to 3.0.x! :) (with the huge added bonus of DX9, of course!

One thing though: when you start betas for the next point release, would it be possible to get the new plugin event that triggers once per frame before all the frames are set up you mentioned a while back? no biggie for now, as we have a work around, but it has some quirks that makes Mia go into the moonwalk at some points that we can't get around. It's fine for development though and we can progress perfectly well without it for now... (Also it adds a lot of messy hacks to integrating AGX into a game once that's released for use)

cheers for all your help! :)

lemmy

bicilotti

I'm posting to report what it seems a little glitch.

In my code I have:

while (warner != '"')

When updating to 3.1.0 I got this error:

* Error (line 411): incorrectly terminated character constant

When I change " to its ASCII value, like:

while (warner != 34)

everything runs perfect. Not really a big problem, but I wanted to report it!

Gilbert

I'm not sure, but I think this is not really a bug.

Try
while (warner != '\"')
and see if that works.

But of course, it's no big deal as you can always use the ASCII code instead when checking for a character.

bicilotti

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Thu 27/03/2008 01:13:18
I'm not sure, but I think this is not really a bug.

Try
while (warner != '\"')
and see if that works.

That gives me exactly the same error.

Dualnames

I think instead of '/"' it was meant to be '/' but he mistyped, does that give the same error as well?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

bicilotti

Quote from: Dualnames on Thu 27/03/2008 14:27:00
I think instead of '/"' it was meant to be '/' but he mistyped, does that give the same error as well?

I think he meant what he wrote, as in c/c++ you use a similar syntax for the " and some other "special" characters.
Anyway, other symbols (like / or [) do not give errors.

Dualnames

does what i just posted before works or doesn't it? That's the question.

bicilotti

Quote from: Dualnames on Thu 27/03/2008 14:41:28
does what i just posted before works or doesn't it? That's the question.

It does compile smoothly without any errors, but simply is not the character I want. Among other things i need a ", and that's where the problem lies.

Dualnames

Yes, but I wasn't concerned about your problems was I? 8) I just wanted to see if '/' works... ;D

Pumaman

QuoteOne thing though: when you start betas for the next point release, would it be possible to get the new plugin event that triggers once per frame before all the frames are set up you mentioned a while back?

I'll see if I can slip something like that in ;)

Quote from: bicilotti on Wed 26/03/2008 21:23:46
I'm posting to report what it seems a little glitch.

In my code I have:

while (warner != '"')

When updating to 3.1.0 I got this error:

* Error (line 411): incorrectly terminated character constant

Thanks, this seems to be a bug in the new preprocessor in 3.0.1. I'll get it fixed.

QuoteCJ, I'm dreadfully sorry, please replace the Default Game with the following:

Rui, would you mind making your fix based on the Default Game template included in AGS 3.0? I modified the global script to clean up the comments and make them readable at lower screen resolutions, so if you could start a New Game and then make your fix (or just let me know what it was and I'll do it) that'd be appreciated.

Pumaman

Arg, sorry about this -- I know I said RC 1 would be the last to have new features, but I finally had the time to make some room editor changes that I'd wanted to do for ages (zooming, mask transparency and walk-behind baselines) so I've stuck it into RC 2.

Please let me know whether you have any problems with the editor being slow with the transparency enabled -- last time I tried it caused a real problem but this time it doesn't seem too bad.

Snarky

Quote from: Pumaman on Fri 28/03/2008 00:10:07
Arg, sorry about this

No, I'm not sure I can forgive you for adding cool and often-requested new features to this release.  >:( Tsk, tsk, tsk.

movti

Woah, nice!
I really like how the room editor turned out.. Well done!

If you want to make it even more awesome: While zoomed in it would be very comfortable to able to scroll up and down with the mouse wheel as well as using the space bar for panning, just like you do in photoshop. I instantly wanted to do that by habit.

Glad this has made it into 3.0.1!

Ghost

Quote from: Pumaman on Fri 28/03/2008 00:10:07
...I finally had the time to make some room editor changes that I'd wanted to do for ages (zooming, mask transparency and walk-behind baselines) so I've stuck it into RC 2.

Awesome! You, sir, be rockin'!

I tried it out, an no speed issues at all on a rather medium/low-end PC:
AMD Celeron 1.6 GHz
512 MB RAM
nVidea GForce 6100 onBoard

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Looking good!  Hopefully an ellipsoid tool and/or non-blocked dialogs can make it in by final release, but if not, much has still been achieved!

Nice work.

GarageGothic

I was hoping for a second that DynamicSprite.CreateFromDrawing(DrawingSurface*, int x, int y, int width, int height) had made it in. But this:

Quote* Added zooming and mask transparency to the room areas editorSurface.

Is pretty damn cool too. I love that there's a slider to change the transparency, and I don't experience any slowdown on my 5+ year old computer (2.4 GHz P4, GeForce4 Ti4200, 1GB RAM). I think it would be a benefit though, if the zoomed viewport could be scrolled with the arrow keys. Currently they change the zoom level, and I understand that this is standard behaviour for a selected slider so perhaps it cannot be altered. But it would feel more intuitive if arrows scrolled the room window (also for rooms larger than the viewport) while PgUp/PgDn and mouse scroll wheel controlled the zoom level.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I second the mouse wheel for zoom and arrows keys to move the window; it's fairly standard in paint programs and would be awesome!

Lt. Smash

I found a little display problem in the zoom function: when I change to view objects they are drawn a bit off and stretched/squeezed.

Ghost

CJ, it seems that RC2 re-introduces the walk-to glitch I reported earlier, but less frequently, so maybe it's me messing up the walkable areas... but I found that, at at least three times, my character (again) starts to move into quite unpredictable directions when clicking close to an edge of the room.

subspark

Mouse placeable Hotspot/Object Walk-To-Points would go well with the re-introduced draggable baseline function. Fantastic!

I also think 'project size' in terms of mega bytes would be a convenient appearance in the game statistics window somewhere.

Cheers,
Paul.

naltimari

Well, I guess it's a little late to bring this up, but I wonder why Direct3D was even considered for a new rendering engine, instead of OpenGL 2.0 which is multiplatform. Does it have anything to do with Allegro?

Pumaman

QuoteIf you want to make it even more awesome: While zoomed in it would be very comfortable to able to scroll up and down with the mouse wheel as well as using the space bar for panning, just like you do in photoshop. I instantly wanted to do that by habit.
QuoteI think it would be a benefit though, if the zoomed viewport could be scrolled with the arrow keys

Hehe, the problem with this sort of thing is everyone has different ideas on what the shortcut keys should be. But I agree that there should be some properly defined keys to pan around the editor window.

QuoteI found a little display problem in the zoom function: when I change to view objects they are drawn a bit off and stretched/squeezed.

I can't replicate this -- could you provide a screenshot that demonstrates the problem? Also, what resolution is your room where this happens?

QuoteCJ, it seems that RC2 re-introduces the walk-to glitch I reported earlier, but less frequently, so maybe it's me messing up the walkable areas... but I found that, at at least three times, my character (again) starts to move into quite unpredictable directions when clicking close to an edge of the room.

Hmm, I haven't changed the pathfinding code in recent builds. Would you be able to provide a room or test game that demonstrates the problem?

QuoteMouse placeable Hotspot/Object Walk-To-Points would go well with the re-introduced draggable baseline function.

Good point, I'll consider this for 3.0.2.

QuoteWell, I guess it's a little late to bring this up, but I wonder why Direct3D was even considered for a new rendering engine, instead of OpenGL 2.0 which is multiplatform. Does it have anything to do with Allegro?

It's simply that I was already familiar with the D3D API, therefore it was easier for me to use it than to learn a new API that OpenGL has. However, the refactoring work that has been done to the engine means that it would be relatively simpler to add an OpenGL driver in future, if required.

TheMagician

From CJ
QuoteHehe, the problem with this sort of thing is everyone has different ideas on what the shortcut keys should be

I agree. But at least Movti's suggestion to pan the viewport by pressing the spacebar and draging the mouse is a common image editing shortcut. And if you use that you hardly need anything else because it is very fast to navigate the picture that way.

Ghost

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 01/04/2008 23:44:40
Hmm, I haven't changed the pathfinding code in recent builds. Would you be able to provide a room or test game that demonstrates the problem?

False alarm. I have missed a very small but complete "line gap" in the walkable area. After correcting it, everything was smooth and well- sorry!

Lt. Smash

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 01/04/2008 23:44:40
QuoteI found a little display problem in the zoom function: when I change to view objects they are drawn a bit off and stretched/squeezed.

I can't replicate this -- could you provide a screenshot that demonstrates the problem? Also, what resolution is your room where this happens?

here:

the above picture is a screenshot of using the zoom tool.
Note the red marked regions, there you can easily see squeezed pixels.
The other picture is how it should like.
Ignore the black line.
The room is 320x200.
The problem occours with objects and a zoom level higher than 2x.

[edit]
I found out that I had these pixels transparent.
Then the problem should be that the whole object moves one pixel (of the displays resolution) down or up(?) when using zooms higher than 2x.

SSH

I really can't see what you mean, myself. Perhaps you can try explaining again?

CaptainBinky

In those red-ringed bits, you can see pixels which are less than one pixel tall.
Like the scale is 1.99999 instead of 2.0 or something.

A Lemmy & Binky Production

Lt. Smash

Quote from: SSH on Wed 02/04/2008 13:24:18
I really can't see what you mean, myself. Perhaps you can try explaining again?
The pixels that are less one pixel tall are transparent on the object.
It seems to be like that:

another little displaying problem:
some letters look like:

but ingame they are normal/correct. It's a ttf font.

naltimari

I guess there's a bug in AGS 3.0.1 RC2.

I tried to write the following line in my script:

gStatuslineLabel.Text = "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.";

then AGS couldn't parse the script, saying that there was an error:

Parse error in expr near "Lorem ipsum..."
File: room1.asc
Line: 1701079407

then when I removed the line and tried to run it, the following message appeared:

Error: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
Version: AGS 3.0.1.32

System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt. ---> System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
   at ccCompileText(SByte* , SByte* )
   at AGS.Native.NativeMethods.CompileScript(Script script, String[] preProcessedScripts, Game game, Boolean isRoomScript)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.RecompileAnyRoomsWhereTheScriptHasChanged(CompileMessages errors, Boolean rebuildAll)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.AGSEditor_PreCompileGame(PreCompileGameEventArgs evArgs)
   at AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.PreCompileGameHandler.Invoke(PreCompileGameEventArgs evArgs)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.BuildCommandsComponent.TestGame(Boolean withDebugger)

I had to close AGS, saving the game, and after AGS restarted, all went back to normal.

Pumaman

Ok, 3.0.1 Final is up.

This should fix the object-offset issue when zooming in, and adds space-bar-to-zoom, arrow-keys-to-pan which should hopefully satisfy most people.

Quotetried to write the following line in my script:
then AGS couldn't parse the script, saying that there was an error:

Thanks for reporting this. The new preprocessor wasn't checking the line length limit, which the old compiler assumes. I've fixed this to give the right error message now, and part of my long-term work is to re-write the compiler to remove the line length limit completely.

Quoteanother little displaying problem:
some letters look like:

Hmm, not sure why it's doing that. Could you post a font that demonstrates the problem?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Bug report - we can no longer insert space in hotspot names, such as "glass of water", or "far-off floor", because the space is captured by the new "spacebar to zoom" feature, and the room's zoom level gets changed instead.

On a related note, we can no longer mousewheel our way through the hotspot and object list, which was handy. On the other hand, I know this was so that mouewheel would always change zoom levels. Thing is, both these things are handy. Maybe a *toggle* option for the user?

Kneel. Now.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Or just keep track of which window/tab has focus.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

But I *like* it that regardless of who has the focus, mousewheel would always do that thing when in the ROOM tab. Mostly because I can't tab my way around AGS, so if I don't have a few constants to rely on, I spend too much time on very small control annoyances that eventually build up to a less-than-pleasant experience.

But then again, the space bar is a constant. Or maybe it's not, because it now needs to be fixed...

Kneel. Now.

The Suitor

When I test a game and exit it gives this error. Everytime I click on something in AGS it will give it again.

Error: Object is currently in use elsewhere.
Version: AGS 3.0.1.34

System.InvalidOperationException: Object is currently in use elsewhere.
   at System.Drawing.Graphics.CheckErrorStatus(Int32 status)
   at System.Drawing.Graphics.FillRectangle(Brush brush, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height)
   at System.Drawing.Graphics.FillRectangle(Brush brush, Rectangle rect)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintException(PaintEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer, Boolean disposeEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmEraseBkgnd(Message& m)

Cinfa

got this one while playing Roccio Quest recompiled with 3.0.1 final:
Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x0043EAE3 ; program pointer is +154, ACI version 3.01.1017, gtags (17,80)

OK   

and now?

Pumaman

QuoteBug report - we can no longer insert space in hotspot names, such as "glass of water", or "far-off floor", because the space is captured by the new "spacebar to zoom" feature, and the room's zoom level gets changed instead.

Heh oops, I'll get that fixed.

QuoteOn a related note, we can no longer mousewheel our way through the hotspot and object list, which was handy. On the other hand, I know this was so that mouewheel would always change zoom levels. Thing is, both these things are handy. Maybe a *toggle* option for the user?

I'll try and fix this so that it only scrolls the hotspot list if that combobox is selected.

QuoteWhen I test a game and exit it gives this error. Everytime I click on something in AGS it will give it again.

Hmm, is this when testing the game full-screen, or does it happen windowed as well?

Quotegot this one while playing Roccio Quest recompiled with 3.0.1 final:

Can you upload the crash dump file please?

Quote from: Lt. Smash on Wed 02/04/2008 18:11:53
another little displaying problem:
some letters look like:
but ingame they are normal/correct. It's a ttf font.

What point size are you importing the font at, and what resolution is your game?

Cinfa

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 10/04/2008 21:06:05
Quotegot this one while playing Roccio Quest recompiled with 3.0.1 final:

Can you upload the crash dump file please?

Here it is:
http://www.bottomap.com/Temp/CrashInfo.3.01.1017.dmp

Pumaman

Thanks, looks like that crash could happen if the character's current loop number was outside the range of the talking view loop numbers when they start to talk. I'll look into a fix.

Pumaman

Ok, Final 2 is now up, bulit into the installer. If no issues are found in the next few days, this will become the official release.

Cinfa

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 13/04/2008 14:27:08
Ok, Final 2 is now up, bulit into the installer. If no issues are found in the next few days, this will become the official release.
Same error. Same dump link.

Pumaman

Quote from: Cinfa on Sun 13/04/2008 15:13:07

That shouldn't be possible, since the new version has a different version number, thus the filename would be different...

Cinfa

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 13/04/2008 15:32:10
Quote from: Cinfa on Sun 13/04/2008 15:13:07

That shouldn't be possible, since the new version has a different version number, thus the filename would be different...

Sorry, I forgot to recompile  :-[ It works perfectly now.

Pumaman

lemmy101

That's totally awesmoe! Thanks again CJ! :D:D:D

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Ghost

Perfect. I rate this nine out of ten, and only because the cursor isn't creamy vanilla.

Ubel

The editor compiles a small (under 1 kb) speech.vox file into my compiled folder even though I don't have a single file inside the Speech-, Music- or Sound-folders. Also I noticed that if I remove the compiled folder completely and try to run the game the editor crashes without warning. And if the compiled folder is removed the editor won't recreate it automatically while recompiling, which it did in 2.72.

Pumaman

QuoteThe editor compiles a small (under 1 kb) speech.vox file into my compiled folder even though I don't have a single file inside the Speech-, Music- or Sound-folders

Is there a file called syncdata.dat in your game folder? If so, delete it. If you once were using a PAM file for some reason, that syncdata file might still be there.

QuoteAlso I noticed that if I remove the compiled folder completely and try to run the game the editor crashes without warning. And if the compiled folder is removed the editor won't recreate it automatically while recompiling, which it did in 2.72.

Hmm good point, 3.0 creates the Compiled folder when you open the game, and not every time you built it. I'll change this for 3.0.2, because it does this anyway in 3.0 and I don't want to delay the release any longer.

Anyway, 3.0.1 now has a proper release thread so I'll lock this one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk