AGS 3.0.1 Final 2 - Queen's English Edition

Started by Pumaman, Wed 30/01/2008 21:55:37

Previous topic - Next topic

SSH

Quote from: Ghost on Fri 01/02/2008 17:20:56
If I specify a walk-to point that is outside a walkable area, this will cause the player to move to pretty unpredicted locations- apparently trying to match at least on axis and completely ignoring the other one. In my game this makes the player occasionally walk almost out of a room. A better approach would be to move the player at least very close to the hotspot, calculating both x and y axis.

This also happens when I click to a point in Walk mode that is not inside a walkable area, but only sometimes, and mostly near the edges of the room.

I'm getting strange behaviour with walking, too. I've got a function that makes different characters all walk to the same point (at different tiems, so they're not bumping in to each other at all) and yet some end up in the right place, and others end up somewhere 80 or so pixels away!

Also: minor wierdness... the setting for min scaling is below max scaling in the side panel: it would make more sense the other way around...

subspark

QuoteThis is by design, and has always been the case. If you set the baseline to 0 then it uses the object's Y co-ordinate to determine the baseline, which is the default setting.
Perhaps the name should change to "Local Y Coord"? I found it confusing, I'm sure there might be others sometime.

Cheers mate. Thanks for the explanation.
Paul.

Cinfa

Quote from: subspark on Fri 15/02/2008 13:14:56
QuoteThis is by design, and has always been the case. If you set the baseline to 0 then it uses the object's Y co-ordinate to determine the baseline, which is the default setting.
Perhaps the name should change to "Local Y Coord"? I found it confusing, I'm sure there might be others sometime.

Cheers mate. Thanks for the explanation.
Paul.
yes, you could add a constant, like eOnce, eForward....

Pumaman

QuoteI think the problem is related to how I initially did the room. I loaded up the default game template, went to edit room 1, imported 640x400 BG. Then realised the game setting were still 320x200. I changed them to 640x400 and re-imported the BG in the room. However, since then, the room's walkable areas have been messed up.

Thanks -- you're right, I'll get it fixed. The editor is perceiving the new background to be the same size as the old one, so it's not adjusting the masks to reflect the resolution of the room, which is now different.

In the meantime the workaround is as you've noticed either to use a new room, or import a background of a different size and then import the original one again, which will reset the room's masks.

QuoteIt was most likely a sticky key that was stuck down while i clicked the right button. 

Glad to hear it's solved!

QuoteI'm getting strange behaviour with walking, too. I've got a function that makes different characters all walk to the same point (at different tiems, so they're not bumping in to each other at all) and yet some end up in the right place, and others end up somewhere 80 or so pixels away!

Yep, as noted already there's a (quite serious!) pathfinding bug in beta 1. I certainly wouldn't recommend distributing any games with this beta ;)

QuoteAlso: minor wierdness... the setting for min scaling is below max scaling in the side panel: it would make more sense the other way around...

Well, it's alphabetical order. Consistent with all the other property windows, at least!!

QuotePerhaps the name should change to "Local Y Coord"? I found it confusing, I'm sure there might be others sometime.

Fair point, I'll adjust the way this works in the properties window to clarify matters.

lemmy101

Hi CJ! Nice work on 3.0! We just upgraded after a hiatus and found that our plug-in is drawing stuff on the AGSE_PREGUIDRAW event but it is appearing behind the characters. I downloaded the latest plugin API headers from the main site.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

ta,

Lemmy

Pumaman

QuoteHi CJ! Nice work on 3.0! We just upgraded after a hiatus and found that our plug-in is drawing stuff on the AGSE_PREGUIDRAW event but it is appearing behind the characters. I downloaded the latest plugin API headers from the main site.

Thanks for reporting this, I think it must have messed up as part of the graphics driver refactoring in AGS 3. This should now be fixed in beta 2 -- though bear in mind if you use the Direct3D driver this event will never occur.

Anyway, beta 2 is now up -- mostly bug fixes this time, with some minor improvements.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Wow CJ, AGS 3.0 is becoming almost like sex -- I can't get enough!  I will have a screenshot up shortly to show you the fruits of your labor with regards to better organization!

Let's look at AGS 2.72 and my old View list, first:

It's not the full list, but you get an idea.

Now let's see what organization has done for the view list of terror as of beta 1/2:

and a shot of it a bit expanded:

Night and day, CJ.  You've taken organization and usability to the next level!

SSH

I forgot to say thanks for the new valentines pic, btw, Ceej!

Vince Twelve

I brought in a game that started in 2.7, got updated to 3.0 RC3, 3.0 RC4, and now into 3.0.1b2, (Been working on it for a while!) and as soon as I try running it (Through F5 or F7 and then starting it manually) it shows the first screen, plays a few notes of music and then

---------------------------
Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x004FAABE ; program pointer is +6, ACI version 3.01.1005, gtags (360,72)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and notify CJ on the Tech forum.

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.

An error file CrashInfo.dmp has been created. You may be asked to upload this file when reporting this problem on the AGS Forums. (code 0)
OK   

Let me know if you want the .dmp file.

Pumaman

Progz/SSH: :)

Vince: yes, it would be useful if you could upload that dump file please.

SSH

Hajo/dasjoe sent me this error from the AGS Awards game which was made with beta1 (or apparently not, given the version number):

Illegal exception
An exception 0xE06D7363 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x7C812A7B ; program pointer is -179, ACI version 3.00.1000, gtags (0,0)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and notify CJ on the Tech forum.

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.

An error file CrashInfo.dmp has been created. You may be asked to upload this file when reporting this problem on the AGS Forums. (code 0)
OK   

You'll have to ask him for the .dmp file!

lemmy101

Hi CJ! :) A couple of editor issues I thought I'd mention:

1) I've just tried importing a new version of a 320x140 background over the top of an old one and it's appeared as a 102 x 45 (approx) image in the top left of the room area. This is both in game and in the editor. I tried importing others and some are coming out as bigger than 320x200. I'm not sure what's causing this but for some reason I can't replace any room gfx in the game without the scale being crazy.

2) The pathfinding problems I've been getting are purely if the game is upscaled to 640x400 on the two radio buttons in winsetup. Selecting 2x or 3x nearest neighbour works fine though, as long as the top of the two scale radio buttons is selected pathfinding is fine, the bottom selected is always messed up.

3) Since I have loads of views, I'm finding it impossible to reorganise my views into subfolders as when dragging a view with left mouse button pressed, I can't scroll the view tree to where the folder is in relation to any view.

That's all I've noticed so far. :)

Thanks again! The work you've done on 3.0 is faberoonie!

lemmy

Cinfa

Roccio's Quest pathfinding errors are gone now, but the game is (as you have seen) in 320*240.

Pumaman

QuoteHajo/dasjoe sent me this error from the AGS Awards game which was made with beta1 (or apparently not, given the version number):

This has turned out to be an incompability of pixel formats in Direct3D on his graphics card, I'm investigating a workaround.

Quote1) I've just tried importing a new version of a 320x140 background over the top of an old one and it's appeared as a 102 x 45 (approx) image in the top left of the room area. This is both in game and in the editor. I tried importing others and some are coming out as bigger than 320x200. I'm not sure what's causing this but for some reason I can't replace any room gfx in the game without the scale being crazy.

What resolution is the game set to in the General Settings pane? If it's set to 640x480, you would see a result like this.

Quote2) The pathfinding problems I've been getting are purely if the game is upscaled to 640x400 on the two radio buttons in winsetup. Selecting 2x or 3x nearest neighbour works fine though, as long as the top of the two scale radio buttons is selected pathfinding is fine, the bottom selected is always messed up.

Are you still getting pathfinding problems with beta 2? If so can you elaborate on what the problem is?

Quote3) Since I have loads of views, I'm finding it impossible to reorganise my views into subfolders as when dragging a view with left mouse button pressed, I can't scroll the view tree to where the folder is in relation to any view.

Hmm yeah, I'm not sure why you can't scroll the tree while dragging. I'll take a look at it.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

3) Since I have loads of views, I'm finding it impossible to reorganise my views into subfolders as when dragging a view with left mouse button pressed, I can't scroll the view tree to where the folder is in relation to any view.

I've added this to the suggestions, Fish, for the same reason.  Right now you can get around it by expanding the properties window (unless you have considerably more views than I do).

lemmy101

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 19/02/2008 21:48:54
What resolution is the game set to in the General Settings pane? If it's set to 640x480, you would see a result like this.

It's set to 320x200. I tried setting it TO 640x480 then back again, but it's still doing it. Also importing another bmp of the same size behaved differently.

EDIT: Aha! I've figured it out actually. It's taking dpi into consideration in .bmp images where the last version of AGS didn't. One of my images is 71 dpi and is coming out huge, the other is 299 dpi and is coming out tiny. Not sure what is the correct functionality, but I assume either we need the correct dpi to set in the bitmaps, or the loader should only count pixel dimensions?

Are you still getting pathfinding problems with beta 2? If so can you elaborate on what the problem is?

Well basically when clicking on the right of the walkable area she would head up and left and jiggle about a bit, unable to get to any point correctly on the screen... but only when the graphics were upscaled. I'll need to check this was beta 2 but I think it was...

Hmm yeah, I'm not sure why you can't scroll the tree while dragging. I'll take a look at it.

Thanks again! :)

lemmy

Pumaman

QuoteEDIT: Aha! I've figured it out actually. It's taking dpi into consideration in .bmp images where the last version of AGS didn't. One of my images is 71 dpi and is coming out huge, the other is 299 dpi and is coming out tiny. Not sure what is the correct functionality, but I assume either we need the correct dpi to set in the bitmaps, or the loader should only count pixel dimensions?

Ah, interesting. Thanks for working out the source of the problem, I'll look into a fix for this.

Vince Twelve

Apologies for the delay.  Forgot about this.  Here's the .dmp file generated when I try to run this game (which works perfect under 3.0)  http://www.webfilehost.com/?mode=viewupload&id=1295465

Another apology for the crappy filehost.  My ftp is being blocked from work.  Bleh.

lemmy101

Hi, I'm having a problem when importing sprites into a folder in the sprite manager. We have a list of files in numerical order, e.g:

TalkR_P01_A01.gif
TalkR_P01_A02.gif
TalkR_P01_I01.gif
TalkR_P01_I02.gif
TalkR_P01_I03.gif

In AGS 3.0, when I do Import multiple sprites and select these, when they come in they're often in some random order. In the above case it came in in this order:

TalkR_P01_I03.gif
TalkR_P01_A01.gif
TalkR_P01_A02.gif
TalkR_P01_I01.gif
TalkR_P01_I02.gif

Basically meaning I need to import all frames 1 by 1 to get them numbered in the correct order.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

lemmy

SupSuper

Actually that's because of how Windows multiple-selects files, the file you select last is placed first, so they'll come out the reverse order you selected them in.

You selected TalkR_P01_A01 and shift-clicked on TalkR_P01_I03, putting it before the rest. Either select them one by one or just manually change the order in the Filename box.
Programmer looking for work

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk