Shiny colouring - Main Character Revisited.

Started by ThreeOhFour, Sun 17/02/2008 05:24:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Yeah, ignore what I said about the shadow, I wasn't even looking at the sun!  The thing that threw me off was that the shadow wasn't adapting to the surface as it came in (the edge of the cliff, the bridge).

Darth Mandarb

If a man could marry a game (even before it's come out!) I would marry this.

Now I'm done praising :)

I love the animation you did (without the background) but you're right ... when added into the background and put in motion it gets lost a bit.

I thought of trying something so I did ... it was whipped up and not shaded and/or tweaked so forgive the sloppiness, I just wanted to show the idea:

thought maybe if the perspective shift was horizontal instead of vertical it might show a bit better in the full animation.  Don't know ... I think if you did something like this, spending a bit more time on the little details, this could really look good! (note: after I finished I realized a bit of motion to the engines would probably be needed to really sell the movement!)

Hope it helps!

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Wed 27/02/2008 03:29:33
If a man could marry a game (even before it's come out!) I would marry this.

Awww... thanks Darth. Now you've got me worried the gameplay will disappoint and you'll regret your words ;).

I like that idea very much. I think I will have a shot at doing it, just for the sake of being adventurous, but I'm going to leave it at the moment whilst I put together more important elements of the game. I have already passed my hoped deadline of 1 week (Although the game has improved much over the original plan - much thanks to you guys & girls :)) and I still have a ton of character animations I want to put in and some scripting issues (Check your email, Paul ;)). I just finished the last touches on the last background last night (woah, lots of lasts :)) and with 9 playable rooms (not counting those used for the map screen, cutscenes and main menu) I feel this might actually have a chance of being classified as a medium length game, rather than a short one - justifying the more than one week development time. Maybe ;).

Sorry for long post that may/may not be relevant.

EDIT: Hooraay - something new to crit to keep this post on topic :D.

I don't mind if this animation sucks terribly and I have to redo it because, unlike the windmill (Which I have fixed since you last saw it) it didn't take me over two hours to do :).

Finally got around to trying Darth's suggestion with the balloon - tried to make it blow in a breeze. I'd probably only make the animation happen twice a minute in game, I think.

BTW, I promise there are things in the game I haven't asked for help with on this thread ;).

paolo

Ben,

The cute little touches like the windmill and the balloon are fantastic!

One point about the balloon - I don't think it would behave like that when the rope is taut. I think one of two things has to happen here:

* if the balloon is just drifting, the rope would tug the balloon back again straight away (so the taut rope should last for only one or two frames), or
* if the wind is strong (which it might well be, because the windmill is turning) then the wind would keep pushing on the balloon, but because the rope is at its full extent, the balloon would tip over to the left. When the wind dropped, the balloon would go back to being upright and be pulled back in.

I'll check my email when I get home tonight. :D

Questionable

Maybe it's just me but your images aren't loading for me Ben.

EDIT: They're working now... strange
All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

Babar

The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Hudders

Best C&C thread ever.

I'm glad Questionable dredged it up from a couple of months ago because otherwise I'd never have seen it. :)

Z_Bill

Some really excellent stuff in this thread. I enjoyed looking through it all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk